daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 1st, 2013, 07:40 AM   #1621
K_

Likes (Received): 243

Quote:
Originally Posted by 437.001 View Post
I think that it´s feasible even with the boarding check.
But it would mean stationing British Border Police in Barcelona just for one train. That is not doable.

Quote:
I don´t think so. I think a London to Barcelona non-stop could fill the train.
The same way tan a Paris to Barcelona certainly would.
Travel time would be shorter than by calling here and there.
But several trains spread over the day, with several stops, are more usefull than one non stop train.
In fact, I wouldn't run a Barcelona - London. The vest thing to do is have a few Barcelona - Lille trains, where connections to London and Brussels and beyond exist. Have these trains also call at Perpignan, Montpellier, Lyon and CDG and if you time them cleverly you can offer a whole slew of destinations involving just one change...

Quote:
I think this doesn´t matter that much.
If the British want to do it this way, they´re in their right, and I´m ok with it.
I don´t think it´s that important.
They're in their right, but it's still stupid. And the irrational security regime of the Channel Tunnel has made it impossible to get more international trains running through it, which does affect me.
K_ no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 1st, 2013, 01:12 PM   #1622
bagus70
Ես ցանկանում եմ ծծել ձեր

Likes (Received): 890

Hi I wonder if Europass ticket still available?
Old May 1st, 2013, 03:13 PM   #1623
AlexNL

Likes (Received): 537

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagus70 View Post
Hi I wonder if Europass ticket still available?
Yes, it is! If you're a EU citizen, InterRail is for you. If you live outside of the EU, you should have a look at EURail.
Old May 2nd, 2013, 06:02 AM   #1624
bagus70
Ես ցանկանում եմ ծծել ձեր

Ah...thanks. Do you know the address of their website? I'm thinking about going around Europe in the near future.
Old May 2nd, 2013, 06:13 AM   #1625
AlexNL

I'm guessing that you live in the UK, so InterRail should be appropriate for you. You can find all the information you'll need on their website: www.interrail.eu. Another website that can be very useful is www.raildude.com, which provides a lot of information about trips and connections for rail travel in the European Union.

Please note: some private operators do not (yet) accept InterRail passes, for example NTV (Italy) and WESTbahn (Austria). Others do accept the InterRail pass but may require you to buy a supplement (Dutch domestic Fyra services, for example). For trains that require a reservation (such as Thalys, Eurostar, TGV and AVE) you will need to purchase a reservation, which sometimes might be more expensive than buying a full "supersaver" ticket (this is the case with Eurostar).
Old May 2nd, 2013, 06:15 AM   #1626
bagus70
Ես ցանկանում եմ ծծել ձեր

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexNL View Post
I'm guessing that you live in the UK, so InterRail should be appropriate for you. You can find all the information you'll need on their website: www.interrail.eu. Another website that can be very useful is www.raildude.com, which provides a lot of information about trips and connections for rail travel in the European Union.

Please note: some private operators do not (yet) accept InterRail passes, for example NTV (Italy) and WESTbahn (Austria). Others do accept the InterRail pass but may require you to buy a supplement (Dutch domestic Fyra services, for example). For trains that require a reservation (such as Thalys, Eurostar, TGV and AVE) you will need to purchase a reservation, which sometimes might be more expensive than buying a full "supersaver" ticket (this is the case with Eurostar).
I live in Netherlands East Indies (now: Indonesia )

Thanks a lot for your information. I think that's worth a lot
Old May 2nd, 2013, 06:26 AM   #1627
:jax:

Likes (Received): 540

Quote:
Originally Posted by K_ View Post
You should not be allowed to operate a motor vehicle.
Similar trips are a matter of course in Scandinavia, usually with two drivers alternating between driving and sleeping, with short rests every 300-400 km or so, usually for a refill. A single driver is supposed to have a rest half-way to sleep, but sometimes people are in a hurry.

A friend of mine once went almost from Narvik, North Norway, to Brno, Czech Republic, with some hours of sleep outside Oslo. That's about 50 hours of driving, rather excessive and not very sound. Sure, by comparison 10 hours in a train is not so bad, though people who do that kind of driving need not just to move themselves but also their cars to their destination.

A 10 hour day trip is about the limit beyond which the travel will ruin not just the day, but the following day as well. For 24 hour trips I count one full day of travel and one full day of rest. When you go past 5 hours travel gets really uncompetitive with air travel, but if comfortable, productive (internet and electricity), and hassle-free (no connecting trains, good information, easy to get tickets) I think trains can still compete if a couple hours above that.
:jax: no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2013, 03:06 PM   #1628
AlexNL

Quote:

I live in Netherlands East Indies (now: Indonesia )

Thanks a lot for your information. I think that's worth a lot
Aha! In that case EURail is more appropriate for you, I think. See http://www.eurail.com
Old May 2nd, 2013, 07:35 PM   #1629
Sister Greed U

Likes (Received): 15430

At the very least till August the 25th...

Quote:
Technical issues delay Paris – Barcelona TGVs

FRENCH National Railways (SNCF) and Renfe have postponed the launch of direct TGV services between Paris due to delays in completing certification of TGV Dasye sets for operation on the Figueres – Barcelona high-speed line.

The twice-daily Paris – Figueres TGVs were initially due to be extended to Barcelona at the end of this month, with Renfe launching a new Barcelona – Toulouse service at the same time.

http://www.railjournal.com/index.php...ona+TGV+launch
Old May 13th, 2013, 05:35 AM   #1630
Bannor

Likes (Received): 107

Quote:
Originally Posted by :jax: View Post

... and those two maps (and any future maps) should be consistent with each other.
This european map is lacking heavily on dutch rail at least.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...ksnelheden.png

My point is that most intercity lines in the netherlands and germany too to some degree is infact hsr. The speeds can be over 200km/h. I just took the train from Amsterdam to Groningen two days ago, and it went over 200km/h. As you can see on this map, the section between Lelystad and Zwolle is at 200km/h. And from my own memory on that line, it went faster than 140km/h south of Lelystad and north of Zwolle as well. Though I suppose it may have been upgraded in recent years...

Last edited by Bannor; May 13th, 2013 at 05:55 AM.
Bannor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2013, 06:34 AM   #1631
K_

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bannor View Post
My point is that most intercity lines in the netherlands and germany too to some degree is infact hsr. The speeds can be over 200km/h. I just took the train from Amsterdam to Groningen two days ago, and it went over 200km/h. As you can see on this map, the section between Lelystad and Zwolle is at 200km/h. And from my own memory on that line, it went faster than 140km/h south of Lelystad and north of Zwolle as well. Though I suppose it may have been upgraded in recent years...
This is not correct. In fact not a single NS IC train goes faster than 140 kph. The Fyra goes as fast as 160 kph, and the international Thalys service does reach 300 kph. But your train from Amsterdam to Groningen never went above 140kph.
The section from Lelystad to Zwolle does allow for 200kph, but that is because it is a new line, and was build to enable high speeds in the future. Currently no services on that line go faster.
The problem NS has is that ATB, their train control system doesn't allow for speeds above 140kph. So while on some lines higher speeds could be possible, it is currently not used.
In the future the train protection system will be upgraded to ETCS, and some lines (Amsterdam - Zwolle via Lelystad and Amsterdam Eindhoven via Utrecht might see 200 kph trains, as well as Amsterdam - Breda via the HSL.

(And the map is quite correct concerning Germany too. Some conventional IC services do run 200 kph, but that is what you are seeing: This is basically the ICE/IC map).
Old May 13th, 2013, 07:40 AM   #1632
bagus70
Ես ցանկանում եմ ծծել ձեր

Hi, I would like to know whether if a direct train service between Milan and Nice or Marseille exist?
Old May 13th, 2013, 08:24 AM   #1633
K_

Quote:
Hi, I would like to know whether if a direct train service between Milan and Nice or Marseille exist?
Not at the moment. Anyway, answers to questions like that can be found using the trip planner of the German Railways (which covers most of Europe). -> www.bahn.de

There were direct trains at one time. They were cancelled as Trenitalia is no longer cooperating with most of it's neighbours railways. There are rumors Trenitalia might reinstate them, running in open access in France.
In the mean time you can still travel that route. Just take any Milano - Ventimiglia train, and change for one of the frequent trains running along the Med to Nice and beyond.
Old May 13th, 2013, 08:22 PM   #1634
AlexNL

I think the Hanzelijn should be added to the map, as the infrastructure is definitely ready for 200 km/h. During testing, an ICE 3 trainset has reached 200 km/h on the Hanzelijn.
Old May 13th, 2013, 09:34 PM   #1635
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21247

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexNL View Post
I think the Hanzelijn should be added to the map, as the infrastructure is definitely ready for 200 km/h. During testing, an ICE 3 trainset has reached 200 km/h on the Hanzelijn.
And so should Amsterdam Biljmer Arena - utrecht.
Old May 13th, 2013, 09:43 PM   #1636
Sunfuns

Likes (Received): 361

This map is supposed to show lines with a real service at 200 kph or above not including stretches where it is theoretically allowed but there is no such service.
Sunfuns no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2013, 11:46 PM   #1637
asahi

Likes (Received): 189

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunfuns View Post
This map is supposed to show lines with a real service at 200 kph or above not including stretches where it is theoretically allowed but there is no such service.
Is there any 250 km/h service to Umea in Sweden? I don't think so, SJ don't even have fast enough trains, afaik. Yet, that stretch is marked on the map...
asahi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2013, 11:56 PM   #1638
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21247

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunfuns View Post
Is it a map of services or a map of infrastructure capabilities after all?
Old May 14th, 2013, 02:23 AM   #1639
AlexNL

Quote:
Originally Posted by asahi View Post
Is there any 250 km/h service to Umea in Sweden? I don't think so, SJ don't even have fast enough trains, afaik. Yet, that stretch is marked on the map...
SJ have the X55 which is capable of speeds up to 250 km/h.
Old May 14th, 2013, 02:48 AM   #1640
KingNick
Make Wu'bar Great Again

Likes (Received): 8718

Constant 250 km/h with an power output of 3.18 MW? Seems a little underpowered.