daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 15th, 2013, 08:38 AM   #1661
bagus70
Ես ցանկանում եմ ծծել ձեր

Likes (Received): 894

I wonder if passport checking exist when the train crossed the borders of Schengen countries?

Sponsored Links
Old June 15th, 2013, 10:01 AM   #1662
Axelferis

Likes (Received): 2255

German trains aren't better than french ones
Ice reaches harldly to 300km/h whereas it is like take the breakfast for TGV french.
Ice just add tv screens on their trains which give the feeling of better comfort.
AGV is better than ICE.
French one is more secure than german one.
Old June 15th, 2013, 10:02 AM   #1663
Swede
forumer #29

Likes (Received): 1663

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagus70 View Post
I wonder if passport checking exist when the train crossed the borders of Schengen countries?
It does not.
Huopa, Nightsky, Jo, wolkenkrabber, ThisSideofSteinway, jacksom, New Jack City, LeCom, Ellatur, Jan, Dennis, Ace, Bardamu, AtlanticaC5, Ringil, Dysfunctional, stacey, karakhal, ch1le, Hviid, staff, kjetilab, Ůrˇndeimr, queetz, FREKI, sander, Blue Viking, nomels, Mantas, ristov, Rafal_T, khaan, Chilenofuturista, Jonte Myra, safta20, AW, Pas, Jarmo K, IceCheese, Sideshow_Bob, sk, Ingenioren, Ayreonaut, Silver Creations, Hasse78, Svartmetall
Swede no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2013, 10:14 AM   #1664
bagus70
Ես ցանկանում եմ ծծել ձեր

Likes (Received): 894

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swede View Post
It does not.
That's very interesting. I remember back in 1999, when I traveled between Switzerland and Germany with ICE, I there were no such thing as passport checking, despite the fact that Switzerland is not a Schengen country.

But on the second leg of journey between Germany (Frankfurt) and France (both are Schengen countries) there was a passport checking. And the officers were crude, impolite, and seemed unwilling to speak in English (they were undercover French officers)
Old June 15th, 2013, 11:24 AM   #1665
Sunfuns

Likes (Received): 361

Five hours by train is already a lot, I'd probably choose flying at that stage. Although it depends how easy it is to get to/from airport from the specific starting and finishing points and whether there actually is a direct flight.
Sunfuns no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2013, 11:26 AM   #1666
Sunfuns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axelferis View Post
German trains aren't better than french ones
Ice reaches harldly to 300km/h whereas it is like take the breakfast for TGV french.
Ice just add tv screens on their trains which give the feeling of better comfort.
AGV is better than ICE.
French one is more secure than german one.
Then try to compete with them on the same route and you'll see how it goes. I personally find ICE's more comfortable than TGV's (particularly the older ones).
Old June 15th, 2013, 11:31 AM   #1667
Axelferis

Likes (Received): 2255

World record is french not german
Old June 15th, 2013, 12:25 PM   #1668
KingNick
Make Wu'bar Great Again

Likes (Received): 8718

Who the hell cares?
Old June 15th, 2013, 02:00 PM   #1669
Iwan

Likes (Received): 3682

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axelferis View Post
German trains aren't better than french ones [...]
utrzymuje sama, mają bardzo dobre wspˇłczynniki niezawodności.
****** http://www.eu07.pl/ ******* http://rail.phototrans.eu/ *******

SAS 16 liked this post
Iwan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2013, 03:31 PM   #1670
milipumba

Likes (Received): 468

If they opgrade the line between DŘren(DE) and Eupen(BE), i believe that the travel time can come down to about 4 hours.

If it were up to me, i would extend the Belgian HSL 3 to DŘren alongside the E40 motorway.

This of course requires that the train from London to Frankfurt, is running via Cologne.
milipumba no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2013, 03:47 PM   #1671
K_

Likes (Received): 243

Quote:
Originally Posted by goschio View Post
Yawn, why would I sit 6 hours in train if I can fly in an hour at a cheaper fare?

Its its not like most people live in the city center next to the train station. For many its actually easier to get to the airport than taking that hassle to drive into congested city centers.
Well, for one thing, "flying for an hour" usually involves at least another hour, if not two, of tediously waiting, hanging around at airports. Time is perceived differently when moving then when stationary. And flying involves a lot of extra overhead. I was in Berlin two weeks ago. by plane (someone else was paying...) and on the way back we left the hotel downtown at 14:00 to be back in Switzerland by 22:00. That was only marginally faster then the train...
Another thing is that more people live near a railway station then near an airport, but in this cases this is moot, as this DB service will call at Frankfurt Airport anyway. the big advantage of a train is that it can serve more destinations at once. Trains serve a lot more places than planes do.
K_ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2013, 05:47 PM   #1672
NordikNerd
Rail & Road traveller

Likes (Received): 1408

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagus70 View Post
At the danish border at Padborg, customs checked passports on the night-train to Copenhagen the last times I travelled from Germany.

One reason. In Germany there are many Middle East people with german forreigner's passports who may try to pass the border.

I remember two such individuals who were denied access to Denmark, they had to return to Germmany.

Quote:
Originally Posted by goschio View Post
Yawn, why would I sit 6 hours in train if I can fly in an hour at a cheaper fare?

Its its not like most people live in the city center next to the train station. For many its actually easier to get to the airport than taking that hassle to drive into congested city centers.
I didn't fly since 1997 and I will probably never do. There are many people like me who like to travel without flying.
Why ? I don't like turbulence and I don't like to be trapped in a metal cylinder high up in the sky. The train is moving smooth, if the train suddenly malfunctions it stops, if the airplane suddenly malfunctions it.....?
Also I have seen many episodes of "Aircrash Investigation"

Last edited by NordikNerd; June 15th, 2013 at 05:57 PM.
NordikNerd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2013, 06:02 PM   #1673
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21258

Quote:
Originally Posted by NordikNerd View Post
Why ? I don't like turbulence and I don't like to be trapped in a metal cylinder high up in the sky. The train is moving smooth, if the train suddenly malfunctions it stops, if the airplane suddenly malfunctions it.....?
Also I have seen many episodes of "Aircrash Investigation"
This, specifically, is not a valid argument. The rate of deaths for airplane travel in the developed World are much lower than those of any other mode of transportation.
Old June 15th, 2013, 06:34 PM   #1674
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4752

It's both low, but at least the feeling is better in train to most people.
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2013, 06:36 PM   #1675
Sunfuns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
This, specifically, is not a valid argument. The rate of deaths for airplane travel in the developed World are much lower than those of any other mode of transportation.
You are right, but it's psychological for some people and in those cases statistics do not apply.

Last edited by Sunfuns; June 15th, 2013 at 07:11 PM.
Old June 15th, 2013, 07:06 PM   #1676
Suburbanist
on the road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verso View Post
It's both low, but at least the feeling is better in train to most people.
People obviously choose a variety of things on life that are non-strictly rational. That happens. But airplanes are much safer than trains, for the very reason they are way off ground.
Old June 16th, 2013, 12:58 AM   #1677
NordikNerd
Rail & Road traveller

Likes (Received): 1408

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
People obviously choose a variety of things on life that are non-strictly rational. That happens. But airplanes are much safer than trains, for the very reason they are way off ground.
Airplanes are much safer than trains ?

It's rational to dislike the fact that you are "trapped" in a metal cylinder high in the sky, especially when flying over an ocean.

Eventhough the airplane may be flying safely it still comes with unpleasant experiences like turbulence, which is going to be even worse in the future due to changing weather conditions.

The train makes stops along the way, it doesnt shake, you don't need to fasten seat belts. The train is always moving smoothly and is not depending on the weather.

And if an accident happends on a flight so it goes down it's nightmarish.
I wonder what it felt like to be onboard the AF447 when it fell from the sky, feeling 2-3G before passing out. When they divers found the black boxes on the bottom of the south atlantic ocean they saw the bodies of the dead passengers still sitting belted in their seats.

If such an accident could happen with a state of the art modern Airbus, it proofs that no airplane is safe during harsh weather conditions, especially not if you enter "St Elmos Fire"
NordikNerd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2013, 01:07 AM   #1678
Sunfuns

Why not just say that you don't like flying and stop at that? Statistically it's a lot safer to do that than drive your car or walk along city streets after dark.

Flying in small non-comercial planes is less safe, but it is a lot of fun. Hot air baloons are even better
Old June 16th, 2013, 01:07 AM   #1679
AlexNL

Likes (Received): 537

Travelling by plane is safe, but if something happens while the airplane is in the air, you're pretty much doomed. This means the loss of life of hundreds of passengers at once. The chances of getting hurt while on board a high speed train are much smaller, even the most deadliest crash with HSR in the past 20 years had 101 casualties, and this involved a viaduct collapsing onto the train after it derailed (the Eschede disaster).
Old June 16th, 2013, 01:15 AM   #1680
Suburbanist
on the road

It is okay not to like the experience of riding a particular mode of transportation, but that doesn't change facts:

- airplanes have much more double- or triple-fail safety systems than trains (and they must to)

- actually, cruising accidents are extremely rare in aviation. 90% of air travel deaths historically happened on take-off, landing, climbing or approach. High-altitude accidents are so rare in commercial aviation you can count them on a single page list.

- trains are subject to interference with ROW and foreing objects. Actually, I hope they can come up with a system whereas whole railways have infra-red sensors that sound alarms if there is an object on tracks.