daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 26th, 2013, 11:20 PM   #1741
Slartibartfas

Likes (Received): 5968

I had a look at tickets for tomorrow between Frankfurt and Cologne on one side and Paris and Lyon on the other side. The ICE ticket was 69€ and the regular TGV tickets were 92€. Given the longer distance for the TGV prices were roughly similar, even though TGV might be slightly cheaper, especially when you look out for better deals.

Double the price for the ICE sounds a bit like fairy tale to me however. And how anyone could compare the atmosphere in an ICE as plane like, has some interesting perceptions that I could not confirm.

Sponsored Links
Old June 26th, 2013, 11:40 PM   #1742
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

I don't know about ICE, but Pendolinos (at least those we have in Slovenia) indeed look like planes inside.
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2013, 11:54 PM   #1743
Pansori
planquadrat

Likes (Received): 6911

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axelferis View Post
you know the price you pay a ticket with ICE is perhaps the double of a TGV ticket
I know that ICE inside look like a plane(screens,seats etc...)
But for that price you would prefer to take your car in France

It's a choice: You want luxury, pay it!
And you can't apply this "bling bling" all over europe.
It's not that ICE looks 'luxury' or anything. It's just that it's more up to the standard (common in Japan, China, Taiwan, you name it) of modern trains. TGV simply feels outdated.
Pansori no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2013, 11:56 PM   #1744
Slartibartfas

Well maybe it is subjective, but the leg space is hardly comparable ...
TGV is ok, but it feels like a no BS, no frills train. I am sure, costs for a slightly more up to date interior could be justifiable and moderate. After all, most high speed trains around the globe seem to afford it.
Old June 26th, 2013, 11:57 PM   #1745
Pansori
planquadrat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slartibartfas View Post
Can you elaborate?
Old June 27th, 2013, 12:02 AM   #1746
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21250

ICE is quite cheap with the Spezial Europa fares...
Old June 27th, 2013, 12:17 AM   #1747
Slartibartfas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pansori View Post
Can you elaborate?
The leg space between ICE and economy class plane is not comparable. Is there a lot to elaborate? I hope memory does not fool me when I am saying that the former is considerably larger.
Old June 27th, 2013, 12:27 AM   #1748
Pansori
planquadrat

Quote:
The leg space between ICE and economy class plane is not comparable. Is there a lot to elaborate? I hope memory does not fool me when I am saying that the former is considerably larger.
Sorry I just didn't understand what you were referring to. Of course the legroom in economy class flight vs. train is not comparable. You can put a suitcase in front of you and still have enough space for your legs in a train...
Old June 27th, 2013, 12:39 AM   #1749
Suburbanist
on the road

I think the TGV 1st class is better than ICE's 1st class, and the opposite goes for 2nd class. But currently the best high-speed train in Europe, in my humble opinion, for the passenger experience are the AGVs operated by Italo.

parcdesprinces liked this post
Suburbanist no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2013, 12:47 AM   #1750
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

Quote:
I don't know which trains you're talking about, but there isn't much space for legs in our Pendolinos.
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2013, 12:51 AM   #1751
AlexNL

Likes (Received): 537

I find it very difficult to make a comparison between a TGV (my most recent experience is on board Thalys) and an ICE (ICE 3 Amsterdam - Frankfurt).

I have a slight preference for Thalys when it comes to seating comfort: the chairs are a bit softer, and the overall atmosphere inside the train is more luxurious thanks to the colours used for the interior. What I like about ICE is the overall spaciousness and the attention paid to details such as the use of wood and chrome.

Thalys and ICE are much better than a Eurostar, its interior looks somewhat old, outdated and feels a bit cramped.

I haven't had the chance to experience other high speed trains so far, my to-do list is getting quite large: Railjet, Frecciarossa, AGV .Italo, the various AVE trains, Pendolino, and some French domestic TGVs (such as TGV Duplex).
Old June 27th, 2013, 12:56 AM   #1752
parcdesprinces
churches & stadia/arenas

Likes (Received): 9963

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
But currently the best high-speed train in Europe, in my humble opinion, for the passenger experience are the AGVs operated by Italo.
Indeed, I agree! (especially the first class aka "Club")
parcdesprinces no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2013, 08:45 AM   #1753
M-NL
Mixed-mode traveller

Likes (Received): 274

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pansori View Post
You can put a suitcase in front of you and still have enough space for your legs in a train...
The only HST I've ever been on where I could have done that is the N700 Shinkansen (seating space is tremendous). In both the ICE1 (seating pitch in the ICE3 is smaller!) and several TGV variants with my heigth (188cm) that wouldn't have fit.

Anyway I see this bad trend developing where seat pitch on newer train models is reduced despite people getting taller. That greatly reduces travel comfort for me and only gains one row of seats on trains that are commonly not even 100% occupied.
Old June 27th, 2013, 12:02 PM   #1754
Suburbanist
on the road

Quote:
Originally Posted by M-NL View Post
Anyway I see this bad trend developing where seat pitch on newer train models is reduced despite people getting taller. That greatly reduces travel comfort for me and only gains one row of seats on trains that are commonly not even 100% occupied.
But it is exactly when trains are packed full that railways make a lot of money (usually it is when fares, especially last-minute ones, are the most expensive)
Old June 27th, 2013, 10:03 PM   #1755
K_

Likes (Received): 243

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post

But it is exactly when trains are packed full that railways make a lot of money (usually it is when fares, especially last-minute ones, are the most expensive)
A wel run railway breaks even as soon as average occupancy is about 30%. No need to pack the passengers like sardines.
K_ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2013, 10:06 PM   #1756
K_

Likes (Received): 243

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexNL View Post
I find it very difficult to make a comparison between a TGV (my most recent experience is on board Thalys) and an ICE (ICE 3 Amsterdam - Frankfurt).

I have a slight preference for Thalys when it comes to seating comfort: the chairs are a bit softer, and the overall atmosphere inside the train is more luxurious thanks to the colours used for the interior. What I like about ICE is the overall spaciousness and the attention paid to details such as the use of wood and chrome.

Thalys and ICE are much better than a Eurostar, its interior looks somewhat old, outdated and feels a bit cramped.

I haven't had the chance to experience other high speed trains so far, my to-do list is getting quite large: Railjet, Frecciarossa, AGV .Italo, the various AVE trains, Pendolino, and some French domestic TGVs (such as TGV Duplex).
Where the ICE wins hands down compared to thecTGV is in the on board catering. The food on German trains is (quite ironically) of a much higher standard then on French trains...
K_ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2013, 01:54 AM   #1757
Silly_Walks

Likes (Received): 836

I don't give a shit about on board catering, but the CRH (ICE3 derivative) brought me from Beijing to Shanghai in 4:45 with more legroom than I have ever had on any plane or train. Even more legroom than a near identical ICE3 derivative I took from Beijing to Tianjin, which was already very comfortable.

I think it's not the manufacturer, but the one providing the service that gets to demand the amount of legroom their passengers get.
Silly_Walks no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2013, 02:24 AM   #1758
Rayancito
Spanish Muslim

Likes (Received): 1143

I Will like to know the evolución of the tgv lyria from parís to bruxelles, it has been on service since 1997 time enough to see the evolution of the line, besides there in this time no improvements happened so we ccan see the natural evolution of the line.
Rayancito no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2013, 03:13 AM   #1759
Suburbanist
on the road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly_Walks View Post
I
I think it's not the manufacturer, but the one providing the service that gets to demand the amount of legroom their passengers get.
Exactly. This can be customized at the clients' request with ease, as with seat filling and texture, on-board information screens, toilets and other aspects.

BTW, apparently some bloggers are quite angry the new ICEs will not have the Panorama lounge anymore.
Old June 28th, 2013, 10:42 AM   #1760
AlexNL

Likes (Received): 537

The next generation ICE only has Großraum (wide open spaces) and no more compartments. The panoramic view behind the driver is gone as well. In my opinion this is a pity, as these things set ICE apart from other trains.