daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains



Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.


Reply

 
Thread Tools
Old July 1st, 2013, 11:01 PM   #1781
Minato ku
Moderator
 
Minato ku's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Paris, Montrouge
Posts: 16,757

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexNL View Post
Thalys and ICE are much better than a Eurostar, its interior looks somewhat old, outdated and feels a bit cramped.
Eurostar trains are almost twenty years old and they were built for the small British loading gauge.
You shouldn't forget that for years, the Eurostar used old railway tracks to London before the opening high speed rail in UK side and Saint-Pancras.
__________________
すみません !
J’aime Paris et je veux des tours !
Minato ku no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 1st, 2013, 11:31 PM   #1782
pai nosso
Registered User
 
pai nosso's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Portugal
Posts: 11,253
Likes (Received): 4051

Quote:
Originally Posted by K_ View Post
Hasn't this train been running for a while? It was running last year in september when I was there.
Yes it was!!


The all story is like this:

the previous version of this conection was operated exclusively by CP (portuguese state railroad company) where the portuguese ticket employee na train driver would get out in Tui (spanish border town) and will enter the spanish counterpart (RENFE»spanish state railroad company). The previous connection also took about 3 hours and stoped at several portuguese and spanish stations.


Some problems:

the conection was supported exclusively by CP, between Porto and Valença (portuguese border town) there was a employee of CP that colected the correspondent ticket in portuguese territory but the spanish counterpart most of the times wouldn`t appear to colect the correspondect ticket in spanish soil.


Initially CP ask RENFE to support part of the costs, but RENFE refused and CP wanted to ended the conection. The North Atlantic Axis (Galician and northwest portuguese towns ) intervene and on the Portuguese-Spanish Summit between the central governments thas was decided that there will be this new conection and that in a long term there would be done some upgrades on the tracks on the portuguese side.
__________________

SAS 16 liked this post
pai nosso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2013, 12:11 AM   #1783
437.001
Sister Greed U
 
437.001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: on the road (Spain)
Posts: 32,012
Likes (Received): 15439

Quote:
Originally Posted by pai nosso View Post
Yes it was!!


The all story is like this:

the previous version of this conection was operated exclusively by CP (portuguese state railroad company) where the portuguese ticket employee na train driver would get out in Tui (spanish border town) and will enter the spanish counterpart (RENFE»spanish state railroad company). The previous connection also took about 3 hours and stoped at several portuguese and spanish stations.


Some problems:

the conection was supported exclusively by CP, between Porto and Valença (portuguese border town) there was a employee of CP that colected the correspondent ticket in portuguese territory but the spanish counterpart most of the times wouldn`t appear to colect the correspondect ticket in spanish soil.


Initially CP ask RENFE to support part of the costs, but RENFE refused and CP wanted to ended the conection. The North Atlantic Axis (Galician and northwest portuguese towns ) intervene and on the Portuguese-Spanish Summit between the central governments thas was decided that there will be this new conection and that in a long term there would be done some upgrades on the tracks on the portuguese side.
By the way: two Regional Express trains Vigo Guixar-Valença are created to take over the old services Vigo Guixar-Porto Campanhâ calling at nearly all stations.
I don´t know which trains do the new Vigo Guixar-Valença services (Renfe S-592 DMUs, maybe?).
From Vigo to Valença, they call at Redondela, Porriño, Guillarei (novelty, Guillarei was by-passed for many years), and Tui.

The Celta services are done by the CP S-592 DMUs (ex-Renfe). They call at Vigo Guixar and Porto Campanhâ only.
I wonder why they don´t call at Viana do Castelo, Barcelos, Nine and Trofa too.
That would improve connectivity a lot, especially the stops at Nine (change for Braga) and Trofa (change for Guimaraês).

But at least, the travel time between Vigo and Porto is much better now, and it also improves the travel time to Lisbon (through a change at Porto Campanhâ).

__________________
&&& abcde PMR en Cat ImpTgn Cat2017
Everybody got a job to lose (A.E, Vision Thing, WEA, 1990)
437.001 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2013, 02:50 AM   #1784
Suburbanist
on the road
 
Suburbanist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: the rain capital of Europe
Posts: 27,539
Likes (Received): 21250

Do they have any plans for a day-time Spain-Portugal train connection near Badajoz?
__________________
YIMBY - Yes, in my backyard!
Suburbanist no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2013, 11:12 AM   #1785
pai nosso
Registered User
 
pai nosso's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Portugal
Posts: 11,253
Likes (Received): 4051

Quote:
Originally Posted by 437.001 View Post
By the way: two Regional Express trains Vigo Guixar-Valença are created to take over the old services Vigo Guixar-Porto Campanhâ calling at nearly all stations.
I don´t know which trains do the new Vigo Guixar-Valença services (Renfe S-592 DMUs, maybe?).
From Vigo to Valença, they call at Redondela, Porriño, Guillarei (novelty, Guillarei was by-passed for many years), and Tui.

The Celta services are done by the CP S-592 DMUs (ex-Renfe). They call at Vigo Guixar and Porto Campanhâ only.
I wonder why they don´t call at Viana do Castelo, Barcelos, Nine and Trofa too.
That would improve connectivity a lot, especially the stops at Nine (change for Braga) and Trofa (change for Guimaraês).

But at least, the travel time between Vigo and Porto is much better now, and it also improves the travel time to Lisbon (through a change at Porto Campanhâ).


Thanks for the information 437.001!!!



Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
Do they have any plans for a day-time Spain-Portugal train connection near Badajoz?
No!!

There are only 3 conections Portugal-Spain:

» Train Celta: Porto-Vigo by Valença and Tui;

» Train Lusitânia Hotel: Lisbon-Madrid by Vilar Formoso and Fuentes de Oñoro;

» Train Sud-Express: Lisbon»Hendaye»Paris by Vilar Formoso and Fuentes de Oñoro.

Last edited by pai nosso; July 2nd, 2013 at 11:20 AM.
pai nosso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2013, 11:38 AM   #1786
Coccodrillo
Moderator
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Switzerland
Posts: 7,200
Likes (Received): 768

Until a decade ago or so there was a Lisbon-Madrid day train, and until 2 or 3 years ago some Portuguese regional trains reached Badajoz. The plan for a Madrid-Lisbon HSL has basically being dropped. As far I know, that's all.
__________________
1.6.2016: Basistunnel!

für Güter die Bahn ~ pour vos marchandises le rail ~ chi dice merci dice ferrovia
Coccodrillo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2013, 09:18 PM   #1787
437.001
Sister Greed U
 
437.001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: on the road (Spain)
Posts: 32,012
Likes (Received): 15439

Quote:
Originally Posted by pai nosso View Post
No!!

There are only 3 conections Portugal-Spain:

» Train Celta: Porto-Vigo by Valença and Tui;

» Train Lusitânia Hotel: Lisbon-Madrid by Vilar Formoso and Fuentes de Oñoro;

» Train Sud-Express: Lisbon»Hendaye»Paris by Vilar Formoso and Fuentes de Oñoro.
Lusitania and Sud-Expresso are night trains.

The only daytime rail services are the Porto-Vigo regional services.

Spain and Portugal don´t have a very deep relationship. We ignore each other a lot.
__________________
&&& abcde PMR en Cat ImpTgn Cat2017
Everybody got a job to lose (A.E, Vision Thing, WEA, 1990)

Last edited by 437.001; July 2nd, 2013 at 09:23 PM.
437.001 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2013, 08:54 PM   #1788
437.001
Sister Greed U
 
437.001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: on the road (Spain)
Posts: 32,012
Likes (Received): 15439

Important news!!

According to this Spanish website (in Spanish): http://www.altavelocidad.org/index.p...nternacionales

-one AVE Barcelona Sants-Toulouse Matabiau and vv
-one AVE Barcelona Sants-Lyon (Perrache? Part-Dieu?) and vv
-one AVE Madrid Atocha-Barcelona Sants-Marseille St Charles and vv
-two TGV Paris Gare de Lyon-Barcelona Sants and vv
-night trains Trenhotel Joan Miró Barcelona Estació de França-Paris Austerlitz, and Trenhotel Francisco de Goya Madrid Chamartín-Paris-Austerlitz will be discontinued.
-Talgo Mare Nostrum Lorca/Cartagena-Barcelona Sants-Montpellier St Roch will be shortened to Lorca/Cartagena-Barcelona Sants, travellers for all stations beyond Barcelona toward Girona and France will have to change to the AVE Barcelona Sants-Lyon instead.

It will be in October.

All of this might or might not happen in the end.
__________________
&&& abcde PMR en Cat ImpTgn Cat2017
Everybody got a job to lose (A.E, Vision Thing, WEA, 1990)
437.001 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2013, 05:05 PM   #1789
Rayancito
Spanish Muslim
 
Rayancito's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Madrid
Posts: 3,052
Likes (Received): 1143

Quote:
Originally Posted by 437.001 View Post
Important news!!

According to this Spanish website (in Spanish): http://www.altavelocidad.org/index.p...nternacionales

-one AVE Barcelona Sants-Toulouse Matabiau and vv
-one AVE Barcelona Sants-Lyon (Perrache? Part-Dieu?) and vv
-one AVE Madrid Atocha-Barcelona Sants-Marseille St Charles and vv
-two TGV Paris Gare de Lyon-Barcelona Sants and vv
-night trains Trenhotel Joan Miró Barcelona Estació de França-Paris Austerlitz, and Trenhotel Francisco de Goya Madrid Chamartín-Paris-Austerlitz will be discontinued.
-Talgo Mare Nostrum Lorca/Cartagena-Barcelona Sants-Montpellier St Roch will be shortened to Lorca/Cartagena-Barcelona Sants, travellers for all stations beyond Barcelona toward Girona and France will have to change to the AVE Barcelona Sants-Lyon instead.

It will be in October.

All of this might or might not happen in the end.
While it seems reasonable to use TGV duplex for Barcelona Paris, because to use the HSL between Lyon and Paris must be done on a big train, due to the congestion of the line a couple of things need to be clarified:

- If the trains will make stops within the two countries and will serve internal journeys, Lyrias do not, for example. It seems that between Madrid and Barcelona to serve Marseille they will, but it is not really clear.

-I do not see 20 trains there, as far as i know France provided 10 trains and Spain another 10 trains. What happened?
Rayancito no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2013, 01:08 PM   #1790
makita09
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 2,536
Likes (Received): 92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayancito View Post
It seems that between Madrid and Barcelona to serve Marseille they will, but it is not really clear.
Can't decipher this sentence.....?
__________________
"There is no problem so bad that you can't make it worse" - Chris Hadfield
makita09 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2013, 04:13 PM   #1791
Rayancito
Spanish Muslim
 
Rayancito's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Madrid
Posts: 3,052
Likes (Received): 1143

Quote:
Originally Posted by makita09 View Post
Can't decipher this sentence.....?
one AVE Madrid Atocha-Barcelona Sants-Marseille St Charles and vv

Seems to indicate that it will stop in Barcelona, and Madrid Barcelona is an Spanish internal journey, bear in mind that Lyria (moving trains from France to Switzerland), as an example, does not sell tickets within the same country, only for international trips. International passenger trains are liberalized, while internal trips are not, therefore the company that operates the trains, in the case between Spain and France is Elipso (a Renfe and Sncf company), needs government aproval to sell tickets within Spain or France, and it is not clear that they will, no news about it. If they can sell internal tickets then a Barcelona Montpellier Lyon is feasible, in the opposite case only Barcelona Lyon non stop, as this just another example.

Hope it is more clear, now.
Rayancito no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2013, 04:36 PM   #1792
Verso
Islander
 
Verso's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Ljubljana
Posts: 22,087
Likes (Received): 4749

Motorail (car on train) service has been established between 's-Hertogenbosch (Den Bosch), Netherlands and Koper, Slovenia.

http://www.autoslaaptrein.nl/
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2013, 05:17 PM   #1793
Suburbanist
on the road
 
Suburbanist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: the rain capital of Europe
Posts: 27,539
Likes (Received): 21250

Prices are very expensive though



A family of four traveling on a sleeper with a regular car would spend:
- € 329 for the car
- € 498 for the travel compartment for 4 persons
- € 52 for insurance of a medium-value car

That means € 879, one way, without including food and other incidental expenses.

That is more than enough for pay for a one-way driving trip to Slovenia from Netherlands + one night roadside 2* hotel.

I live not far from the depot and embarkation point of those trains. Once I saw such Austoslaap train in formation, and also watched a couple Youtube videos. It appears that the majority of cars there were expensive ones, or some old/classic/vintage cars that owners probably didn't want to put through 1000-1400km of highway driving.
__________________
YIMBY - Yes, in my backyard!
Suburbanist no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2013, 05:47 PM   #1794
Verso
Islander
 
Verso's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Ljubljana
Posts: 22,087
Likes (Received): 4749

Such services are always abnormally expensive.
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2013, 05:52 PM   #1795
Rayancito
Spanish Muslim
 
Rayancito's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Madrid
Posts: 3,052
Likes (Received): 1143

There is something strange with Lyria, in the map of the lines we can see a direct connection from Dijon through Dole and Frasne towards Neuchatel and Berne, but when you request the trip it is not actually taking that line, it goes through Bale, very strange!

http://www.tgv-lyria.com/main/FCK/Fi...rte_reseau.asp
Rayancito no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2013, 05:55 PM   #1796
Suburbanist
on the road
 
Suburbanist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: the rain capital of Europe
Posts: 27,539
Likes (Received): 21250

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayancito View Post
There is something strange with Lyria, in the map of the lines we can see a direct connection from Dijon through Dole and Frasne towards Neuchatel and Berne, but when you request the trip it is not actually taking that line, it goes through Bale, very strange!

http://www.tgv-lyria.com/main/FCK/Fi...rte_reseau.asp
That is due to what is written on their own website

Quote:
Afin d’améliorer l’infrastructure ferroviaire, des travaux sont programmés dans le périmètre de Dijon et de Dôle tout au long de l’année 2013.
__________________
YIMBY - Yes, in my backyard!

Rayancito liked this post
Suburbanist no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2013, 06:07 PM   #1797
Suburbanist
on the road
 
Suburbanist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: the rain capital of Europe
Posts: 27,539
Likes (Received): 21250

double posting
__________________
YIMBY - Yes, in my backyard!

Last edited by Suburbanist; July 8th, 2013 at 08:53 PM.
Suburbanist no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2013, 08:11 PM   #1798
Rayancito
Spanish Muslim
 
Rayancito's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Madrid
Posts: 3,052
Likes (Received): 1143

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
That is due to what is written on their own website
Thank you! Do you know what they will do? The max speed is already 160 Km h, will it be increased?
Rayancito no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2013, 10:04 PM   #1799
darekj
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 35
Likes (Received): 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by 437.001 View Post
Lusitania and Sud-Expresso are night trains.

.
Actually we can speak about one pair of train crossing the border, both are coupled /decupled in Medina Del Campo ...

darek
darekj no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2013, 10:17 PM   #1800
K_
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 2,744
Likes (Received): 243

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayancito View Post

..., bear in mind that Lyria (moving trains from France to Switzerland), as an example, does not sell tickets within the same country, only for international trips.
That is incorrect. Lyria trains can be used for domestic trips. Within Switzerland even with normal Swiss tickets.

I expect the same for the France - Spain TGVs.
K_ no está en línea   Reply With Quote


Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Related topics on SkyscraperCity


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 07:20 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

SkyscraperCity ☆ In Urbanity We trust ☆ about us | privacy policy | DMCA policy

tech management by Sysprosium