daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 23rd, 2013, 06:02 PM   #1841
NordikNerd
Rail & Road traveller

Likes (Received): 1408

Quote:
Originally Posted by volodaaaa View Post
Recently, I have first time travelled by EuroNight train (EN Metropol). I had expected Eurocity trains to be most comfortable and luxurious (especially if we are talking about night trains).
Did you buy a 1st class ticket? . Then you have your own compartment and shower, clean linens.

I have travelled the CNL nighttrains such as Copenhagen-Basel, Hamburg-Zurich, Munich-Florence in both 4 and 6 compartments. No dirt, but slow, shaky and noisy. Still better than flying.
NordikNerd no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 23rd, 2013, 06:22 PM   #1842
Think
...or not to be...

Likes (Received): 158

Some years ago Spain ordered a new night train series, designed to avoid the third-world-image that the sleeper trains have. It didn't have open sleepers, it was composed by double rooms with TV and shower like any hotel room, and they cannot be shared with unknows. The general service includes dinner and breakfast in the restaurant car.

This is a two person cabin in day configuration:

They also exist seated places, whith seats that have been copied from long-haul planes:

This series is a total economical disaster. 10 trains were ordered and only the half are in use. Each time that this train runs makes Renfe to loss money, because it spends more money than it earns. The one-way ticket for a cabin cost ~200 €, plus breakfast and dinner.

volodaaaa, Suburbanist liked this post
Think no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2013, 01:12 AM   #1843
volodaaaa

Likes (Received): 1756

Quote:
Originally Posted by NordikNerd View Post
Did you buy a 1st class ticket? . Then you have your own compartment and shower, clean linens.

I have travelled the CNL nighttrains such as Copenhagen-Basel, Hamburg-Zurich, Munich-Florence in both 4 and 6 compartments. No dirt, but slow, shaky and noisy. Still better than flying.
No i did not. I was travelling just for 2 hours and booked a common seat in compartment aligned carriage. There were only two 2nd class carriages of this type (no 1st class). But as I have told you, it was in horrible condition.

volodaaaa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2013, 11:15 AM   #1844
K_

Likes (Received): 243

Quote:
Originally Posted by Think View Post
This series is a total economical disaster. 10 trains were ordered and only the half are in use. Each time that this train runs makes Renfe to loss money, because it spends more money than it earns. The one-way ticket for a cabin cost ~200 €, plus breakfast and dinner.
You could probably give the most profitable railway line in the world to RENFE and they would manage to make it in to a money pit in no time. RENFE is good at running trains. Very good even. But they fail when it comes to selling tickets.

I traveled on the night train from A Coruna to Barcelona, and it was a great experience. Exactly how a night train should be. I traveled in the seats btw (as I was alone).
However, I had to find this train myself. If you go to www.renfe.es and try to book a trip between two random places in Spain in many cases you will come up empty. This is because RENFE seems to be completely unaware that the strength of a railway lies in the potential for huge network effects. Local trains feed passengers to long distance trains, which then change for another local train when they get off. However, buy wrongly assuming that train passengers won't change trains, and marketing a train only to the inhabitants of the towns it serves you miss huge opportunities.
The RENFE planner will however not offer you travel solutions involving a change, unless there is no option, in which case it will only look for solutions with one change. If getting from A to B involves more then on change RENFE thinks this is not doable...

RENFE actually has a good network, that has improved a lot in recent years. They go to extraordinary lengths to make sure no-one finds this out.

SAS 16, Rayancito liked this post
K_ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2013, 11:22 AM   #1845
K_

Quote:
No i did not. I was travelling just for 2 hours and booked a common seat in compartment aligned carriage. There were only two 2nd class carriages of this type (no 1st class). But as I have told you, it was in horrible condition.
So you were not in a "night train" as such, just in a train at night. This doesn't really allow you to form an opinion how travel in a sleeping car is.

The main reason for 2nd class seating cars to be attached to such trains is to allow the train to double as a night time local service along the route it serves. These seating cars are never a great place to travel in.
Old July 24th, 2013, 11:45 AM   #1846
volodaaaa

Quote:
Originally Posted by K_ View Post
So you were not in a "night train" as such, just in a train at night. This doesn't really allow you to form an opinion how travel in a sleeping car is.

The main reason for 2nd class seating cars to be attached to such trains is to allow the train to double as a night time local service along the route it serves. These seating cars are never a great place to travel in.
It was a night train (special category called EuroNight derived from EuroCity). EC and EN train have to guarantee some features such as multi-language speaking train conductor, air-condition in each carriage, etc. None of that was followed.

I know, that couchette and sleeper carriages may have looked much better, but I think, the standards should be respected in each carriage.

Old July 24th, 2013, 01:14 PM   #1847
jonasry

Likes (Received): 148

Quote:
It was a night train (special category called EuroNight derived from EuroCity). EC and EN train have to guarantee some features such as multi-language speaking train conductor, air-condition in each carriage, etc. None of that was followed.

I know, that couchette and sleeper carriages may have looked much better, but I think, the standards should be respected in each carriage.
Well, the point is that it's cheap, cheap and cheap. You can't expect something brand new for €29. Atleast not with the current market model. However, of course it would be great if many of the old carriages were refurbished.

Usually the couchettes and sleepers are well-cared of. Atleast in western and central Europe. I took the night train from Belgrade to Ljubljana two years ago and ended up in a compartment that had a large part of it's interior ceiling ripped out.
jonasry no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2013, 02:54 PM   #1848
volodaaaa

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonasry View Post
Well, the point is that it's cheap, cheap and cheap. You can't expect something brand new for €29. Atleast not with the current market model. However, of course it would be great if many of the old carriages were refurbished.

Usually the couchettes and sleepers are well-cared of. Atleast in western and central Europe. I took the night train from Belgrade to Ljubljana two years ago and ended up in a compartment that had a large part of it's interior ceiling ripped out.
So it may differ from train to train, right? Because I've travelled by EC Hungaria before my experience with EN metropol and the compartment was really well-cared of, air condition was working properly and train conductor spoke fluently in three languages. Therefore I was a bit surprised on my way back wit that EN train.

Old July 24th, 2013, 03:31 PM   #1849
Rayancito
Spanish Muslim

Likes (Received): 1143

Quote:
You could probably give the most profitable railway line in the world to RENFE and they would manage to make it in to a money pit in no time. RENFE is good at running trains. Very good even. But they fail when it comes to selling tickets.

I traveled on the night train from A Coruna to Barcelona, and it was a great experience. Exactly how a night train should be. I traveled in the seats btw (as I was alone).
However, I had to find this train myself. If you go to www.renfe.es and try to book a trip between two random places in Spain in many cases you will come up empty. This is because RENFE seems to be completely unaware that the strength of a railway lies in the potential for huge network effects. Local trains feed passengers to long distance trains, which then change for another local train when they get off. However, buy wrongly assuming that train passengers won't change trains, and marketing a train only to the inhabitants of the towns it serves you miss huge opportunities.
The RENFE planner will however not offer you travel solutions involving a change, unless there is no option, in which case it will only look for solutions with one change. If getting from A to B involves more then on change RENFE thinks this is not doable...

RENFE actually has a good network, that has improved a lot in recent years. They go to extraordinary lengths to make sure no-one finds this out.
You are right, but to say the truth they improved a lot this year by selling in the net the so called ¨combined tickets¨, with this tickets you have to change trains. On the other hand they are promoting a lot transversal trains, that will go from north to south/east/west of the country, passengers don´t have to change trains. Those are normally trains that can change the gauge, because Madrid has not a UIC line to Conect Atocha and Chamartin. The only exception is Malaga/Sevilla Barcelona that do not enter in Madrid, in fact Malaga Barcelona is 1.121 Km long, almost a chinese kind of high speed trip......

In a couple of years (maybe 3) there will be a UIC tunnel in Madrid and this estrategy could then be pushed to the limit, probably then to buy a ticket in the internet from most places in the country to any other destination within will be very easy and times will be convinient also because ohter high speed lines will be finished (Murcia, Zamora, Pedralba, Leon, Cadiz, Granada and Burgos).

Last edited by Rayancito; July 24th, 2013 at 03:42 PM.
Rayancito no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2013, 06:17 PM   #1850
K_

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayancito View Post
You are right, but to say the truth they improved a lot this year by selling in the net the so called ¨combined tickets¨, with this tickets you have to change trains. On the other hand they are promoting a lot transversal trains, that will go from north to south/east/west of the country, passengers don´t have to change trains.
Such long distance transversal trains are not such a good idea. RENFE should concentrate on creating a good integrated network, with hubs where passengers can change trains. Such a network can offer a lot more travel options without the railway needing to run more trains.

The whole idea that a trip where you have to change trains can be considered as something special really bogles the mind. What drugs are those RENFE managers on?

Where I live, in Switzerland, trips where passengers have to change multiple times are the norm. And nobody finds that odd, or thinks that those require special tickets...
Old July 24th, 2013, 07:13 PM   #1851
Think
...or not to be...

Likes (Received): 158

The problem of train changes for Renfe (I don't justify it, I just explain what they say) is that if a train arrives late, it isn't easy to relocate the passengers in some trains, specially when a lot of routes in Spain have only 1, 2 or 3 trips per day. They preffer not to sell tickets with a change instead of relocating passengers.

The combined tickets of Renfe are established in certains routes were a train waits the other if it arrives late, avoiding the relocation of passengers. Renfe is forced to make a tradicional tain tranfer in Figueras-Vilafant with the TGVs, some days ago I read that a TGV arrived 45 minutes late to Figueres-Vilafant, so the AVE left before the TGV arrived. 200 passengers had to be located in the next AVE and other trains and that, what is very usual in any other company, was a total nightmare for Renfe.
Think no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2013, 03:18 AM   #1852
derUlukai
✪ ALPHA-KEVIN ✪

Likes (Received): 5335

i`m curious whether the eurostar velaros are in service before the DB velaros..
does anyone know WHY they changed their color sheme?
derUlukai no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2013, 05:08 AM   #1853
Rayancito
Spanish Muslim

Likes (Received): 1143

Quote:
Such long distance transversal trains are not such a good idea. RENFE should concentrate on creating a good integrated network, with hubs where passengers can change trains. Such a network can offer a lot more travel options without the railway needing to run more trains.
You don´t understand, Bilbao Madrid + Madrid Malaga = Bilbao Madrid Malaga. No more trains are needed, just the change of a train is no longer needed, the overall occupation of both services grows, because some people do not like to change trains, specially old people.
Rayancito no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2013, 04:03 PM   #1854
DiggerD21
spaghetti polonaise

Likes (Received): 1356

Quote:
So it may differ from train to train, right? Because I've travelled by EC Hungaria before my experience with EN metropol and the compartment was really well-cared of, air condition was working properly and train conductor spoke fluently in three languages. Therefore I was a bit surprised on my way back wit that EN train.
It maybe might differ from carriage to carriage. I was recently taking the night train Budapest - Katowice in a sleeper carriage (6 beds per compartment). The train was 12 carriages long, of which 4 were from hungarian railways (on the way to Berlin), 4 from Czech railways (on the way to Prague) and 4 from polish railways (on the way to Warsaw). Obviously I was in a polish sleeper carriage, and was positively surprised. It was like a proper small bed with linen and cover. Good enough for me to have some hours of sleep without interruption by the train conductor.

Deadeye Reloaded liked this post
DiggerD21 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2013, 10:11 PM   #1855
Fan Railer

Likes (Received): 568

First video of the Class 374 (e320 Velaro) under it's own power:

Last edited by Fan Railer; July 30th, 2013 at 11:08 PM.
Fan Railer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2013, 10:17 AM   #1856
Fan Railer

Likes (Received): 568

Not exactly in real life, but still worth sharing for those of you simulator junkies. Here are a variety of Siemens Velaro trains for OpenBVE, with upgraded sounds and physics from the original ICE 3:
If any of you are curious about OpenBVE, proceed here:
http://obts.wikia.com/wiki/OBTS_Wiki

Siemens Velaro Pack - Version 1.9
Download here: http://www.mediafire.com/download/o9...elaro_V1.9.rar
Routes to run on:
http://www.mediafire.com/download/9r...Route_Pack.rar
http://downloads.bvefrance.fr/swade/LGV_OpenBVE.rar
http://www.mediafire.com/download/7f...Route_Pack.rar
V1.9 pack includes the following:
German DB 403 (ICE 3); 8 car and 16 car versions - 330 km/h - 370 km/h
German DB 406 (ICE 3MF); 8 car and 16 car versions - 330 km/h - 370 km/h
Spanish Renfe AVE-103 (Velaro E); 8 car and 16 car versions - 350 km/h - 400 km/h
Russian Sapsan (Velaro RUS); two 10 car versions (EVS1 and EVS2) - 250 km/h - 290 km/h
Chinese CRH380BL (CRH3C); 8 car and two 16 car versions- 380 km/h - 480 km/h

Updated propulsion sounds, acceleration physics, and carriage spacing. Also fixed tractive effort meter to display only tractive effort, and not acceleration.
Includes coupler setup for "double" train sets, courtesy of "Quork."
Now also includes the addition of 1st class and 2nd class coaches for AVE stock, updated exterior textures with final livery updates, and HVAC units on all cars.
Also has an accurate bistro car for the CRH3C (CRH380B), which in real life, has no doors.

The final update, V2.0, will feature passenger compartments with seats, and a 3D cab.

Original train is by Manuel Mejias
http://www.trenesvenezolanos.blogspot.com
http://hstopenbve.blogspot.com/p/db-ice.html
Fan Railer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2013, 05:21 PM   #1857
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4752

Next summer there will be a direct train between Moscow and Koper on the Slovenian coast (like between Moscow and Nice). Estimated travel time is ~45 hours and it will run at least once a week.

http://www.siol.net/novice/gospodars...er_moskva.aspx

El_Greco liked this post
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2013, 11:11 PM   #1858
XAN_

Likes (Received): 760

Well, all that 1520 <-> 1435 trains are rediculoisly expensive. Making transfers at borders can be cheaper up to 4 times
-H. Kürsch, 2002
XAN_ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2013, 01:35 AM   #1859
city_thing
Put it in your mouth

Likes (Received): 883

I'm heading to Europe later in the year and I just did a ticket search on the DB website for a train from Berlin to Copenhagen. I found a great one that goes through Hamburg, but it looks like the train goes onto a boat between Fehmarn and Rodbyhavn! Is this true, or does it mean I get off the train, catch a ferry, then get on another train in Denmark...?

Meanwhile, SSC is so handy for organising holidays. You guys know everything. Can't wait to get back to Germany!
Old August 4th, 2013, 02:32 AM   #1860
KingNick
Make Wu'bar Great Again

Likes (Received): 8718

city_thing, CEVEP liked this post
KingNick no está en línea   Reply With Quote