daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 15th, 2013, 01:48 AM   #1961
Sister Greed U

Likes (Received): 15439

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slartibartfas View Post
The distance is hardly worth mentioning, if it were not water
According to google maps the distance by ferry is 88 km.

Of course for a bridge or tunnel project this is a are rather epic distance.
I knew, I was actually thinking about a Vilnius-Riga-Tallinn-Helsinki train, with trains by ferry between Estonia and Finland, just as it´s done between Germany and Sweden or Denmark, if I´m not mistaken.

Sponsored Links
Old October 15th, 2013, 04:00 AM   #1962
dj4life

Likes (Received): 48597

Quote:
Originally Posted by 437.001 View Post
I knew, I was actually thinking about a Vilnius-Riga-Tallinn-Helsinki train, with trains by ferry between Estonia and Finland, just as it´s done between Germany and Sweden or Denmark, if I´m not mistaken.
There are two options: Germany-Denmark-(Öresund bridge)-Sweden or Germany-(Ferry)-Sweden (may be replaced by a 90 km. long bridge (planned)).
dj4life no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2013, 05:37 AM   #1963
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pansori View Post
What do you mean? The map clearly shows that you can go from Vilnius to Riga and all the way to Tallinn if you wish. The route is not very straight but the trains could run on it and, in fact, they did as late as in 1992.
I meant trains, I know there are railways between all of them. There seems to be no connection Vilnius-Riga, Latvia-Estonia, Lithuania-Poland, and Poland-Kaliningrad. It sounds stupid to me, but since Italians scrapped all trains to Slovenia in 2011, nothing surprises me any more.
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2013, 09:48 AM   #1964
ArtManDoo

Likes (Received): 50

Quote:
The actual fast Rail Baltica link has been under planning for the past 20 years and probably will be for another 20 before anything goes ahead.

Although the existing connection from Poland to Lithuania is being converted into standard gauge right now. Only problem it will be too slow (120km/h) for decent international passenger services. Still good for freight though.
I think there have been "tea parties" about Rail Baltica for last ten years but not real planning stages, but now hopefully things will move on as there are public discussions within local municipailites which RB would gross through.
ArtManDoo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2013, 10:02 AM   #1965
ArtManDoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by XAN_ View Post
You a quite right, but my point that it's Baltic countries, who benefits from 1520 mm network more than Russia - because it's Baltic countries who gets money from freight transit to ports/Kaliningrad, it's Baltic states who impose rules and get revenue from passenger transit from and to Kaliningrad.
Russia is the loosing side in this situation, and not some plotting monster that tries control Baltic states via 1520 railways (they do do plotting thing, but via other tools, like energy supply and import regulations)
Transit cargo from Russia and Rail Baltica are different things that shoudn't be opposed. Baltic countries have access to 1520 network but not 1435, Lithuania is happy to get some very soon when 1435 arrives to Kaunas. 1435 Rail Baltica gives a huge potential to go nearly as far as the network goes. Baltic and Finland will be able to send goods and get goods to/from any place in Europe, it gives a huge part that don't exist now and thus is defenetely a smart thing to do.

Pansori liked this post
Old October 15th, 2013, 01:26 PM   #1966
Road_UK
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1599

Quote:
Originally Posted by 437.001 View Post

I don't think that'd be rendabel. The nearest (and central station) in Helsinki is about a 10 minute walk from the Olympiaa terminal, where the seacat from Tallin docks, and where one of the major ferries to Stockholm goes. After Helsinki there's not really a lot there to take the train to. Not worthy to extend the railway line to the docks anyway. From Helsinki there are some local trains, the intercity up north and the 2x a day service to St Petersburg. Traffic between Estonia and Finland isn't that much apart from some tourists and freight traffic.
Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2013, 01:34 PM   #1967
Baron Hirsch
Kara Tren Solcusu

Likes (Received): 475

Quote:
Originally Posted by dj4life View Post
There are two options: Germany-Denmark-(Öresund bridge)-Sweden or Germany-(Ferry)-Sweden (may be replaced by a 90 km. long bridge (planned)).
Correction: the plan is for a 90 km long tunnel between southern Sweden and Northeastern Germany. It seems quite utopian, some Swedish investors apparently have too much money on their hands. I would not hold my breath waiting for that one, for now the privately operated train on ferry is still operating Berlin-Sassnitz-Malmö, but naturally is under quite some pressure.
Baron Hirsch no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2013, 04:49 PM   #1968
NordikNerd
Rail & Road traveller

Likes (Received): 1408

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron Hirsch View Post
Correction: the plan is for a 90 km long tunnel between southern Sweden and Northeastern Germany. It seems quite utopian, some Swedish investors apparently have too much money on their hands. I would not hold my breath waiting for that one, for now the privately operated train on ferry is still operating Berlin-Sassnitz-Malmö, but naturally is under quite some pressure.
This proposed tunnel may be a reality in the year of 2525.

For now we are very priviliged to have one only direct train connection to continental europe even if it includes a 4h ferry. The Malmö-Berlin connection opened in 1909.

This route was canceled by the state railways in june 2011 and taken over by VEOLIA. Remember that it's only seasonal june 23rd - august 17th.

I'm afraid that this service is not profitable enough not even in the summer.
NordikNerd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2013, 08:29 PM   #1969
Sunfuns

Likes (Received): 361

Problem with trains between Riga and Tallinn/Vilnius is that it's hard to make them competitive with buses/cars. It takes about 3 /2 h to drive to Vilnius and about 4 h to Tallinn. I don't remember exactly how long it took with a train in the early 90-ties, but I think at least double...

I've heard nothing about the Southern direction, but there is some talk about re-introducing Riga-Tallinn service after the current speed upgrade in Latvia is finished. Estonian railways at least would be interested, because they recently bought some new trains and are investing in their rail network (Estonia is the richest of the three countries). Latvians are still using the old Soviet junk even if manufactured in Riga...
Sunfuns no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2013, 08:51 PM   #1970
Pansori
planquadrat

Likes (Received): 6911

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunfuns View Post
Problem with trains between Riga and Tallinn/Vilnius is that it's hard to make them competitive with buses/cars.

It takes about 3 /2 h to drive to Vilnius and about 4 h to Tallinn. I don't remember exactly how long it took with a train in the early 90-ties, but I think at least double...
At the present a train between Vilnius and Siauliai (the city in the north of Lithuania) takes 2:33 hours. About the same time it takes to drive if you're not a speed freak. The distance is 212km. The route is popular.

Even the Vilnius-Klaipeda which is 376km long and takes 4:40 hours is very popular despite the fact that buses run faster due to shorter distance on the motorway (300km).

The distance between Vilnius and Riga on a railway is about 335km and if we assume that the train will go at an average speed of just over 80km/h (which is the speed of Vilnius-Klaipeda route) it will take approximately 4:15 hours. However with some infrastructure upgrades and new rolling stock it could be cut to 4 hours without any problem.

Sure driving can be a bit faster but 4 hours between Vilnius and Riga is in principle competitive due to some other advantages of traveling by train.
Pansori no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2013, 09:02 PM   #1971
Sunfuns

Likes (Received): 361

Is there a good train connection between Vilnius and Kaunas? Information about Lithuanian railways on these board is pretty much non-existant...

Maybe connection to Vilnius is easier, I'm more familiar with the route(s) to Estonia. Are there rails on the route Siauliai-Joniskis-Jelgava? From Jelgava there is a decent electrified route further to Riga.
Sunfuns no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2013, 09:25 PM   #1972
Pansori
planquadrat

Likes (Received): 6911

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunfuns View Post
Is there a good train connection between Vilnius and Kaunas? Information about Lithuanian railways on these board is pretty much non-existant...

Maybe connection to Vilnius is easier, I'm more familiar with the route(s) to Estonia. Are there rails on the route Siauliai-Joniskis-Jelgava? From Jelgava there is a decent electrified route further to Riga.
Connection between Vilnius and Kaunas is good and trains go at an average speed of 100km/h. The line is electrified and passengers are carried using double-decker EMUs.
Pansori no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2013, 10:47 PM   #1973
AlexNL

Likes (Received): 537

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexNL View Post
Looks like we now have a date for the direct TGV services between France and Spain
Looks like I spoke a bit too soon, Voyages-SNCF just showed me this:

So that means there will be no direct TGV service, but the direct Elipsos night train is axed anyway. Passengers will have to take a French overnight train and change in Port Bou.
Old October 15th, 2013, 11:09 PM   #1974
Reivajar

Likes (Received): 3340

You can always take the TGV service from Paris to Figueres-Vilafant, and then swicth to the AVE service to Barcelona.

It is the quickest option till now.

Reivajar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2013, 09:09 AM   #1975
ArtManDoo

Quote:
Connection between Vilnius and Kaunas is good and trains go at an average speed of 100km/h. The line is electrified and passengers are carried using double-decker EMUs.
Vilnius Kaunas service has the highest average speed in Baltics and the EJ is very good Train for that distance.

Let's see what happens when new Tallinn - Tartu will schedules will be introduced but it will be diesel and it's hard to give better times than electric.
Old October 16th, 2013, 09:21 AM   #1976
ArtManDoo

Quote:
At the present a train between Vilnius and Siauliai (the city in the north of Lithuania) takes 2:33 hours. About the same time it takes to drive if you're not a speed freak. The distance is 212km. The route is popular.

Even the Vilnius-Klaipeda which is 376km long and takes 4:40 hours is very popular despite the fact that buses run faster due to shorter distance on the motorway (300km).

The distance between Vilnius and Riga on a railway is about 335km and if we assume that the train will go at an average speed of just over 80km/h (which is the speed of Vilnius-Klaipeda route) it will take approximately 4:15 hours. However with some infrastructure upgrades and new rolling stock it could be cut to 4 hours without any problem.

Sure driving can be a bit faster but 4 hours between Vilnius and Riga is in principle competitive due to some other advantages of traveling by train.
Totally agree Vilnius - Riga 4hrs is more than possible and would find use by people for sure. It should be national/international fast Train, what I mean is that prices for national connections as Vilnius - Siauliai or Jelgava - Riga should be about the same as for national trains.

The other thing is that the railway between Jonava and Siauliai is quite straight and Lithuanian Railways should introduce 140km/h there, as in Finland where many single track lines see speeds 140km/h. I am quite sure that the trailtrack already allows 140 and Level crossings are also not problem maybe some signalling improvements are needed. Both Vilnius - Klaipeda and Vilnius - Riga services would benefit.
Old October 17th, 2013, 05:14 PM   #1977
Sister Greed U

Internacional services Spain-France

Rumour has it that the Trenhotel (Talgo night trains) between Spain and France will survive in a way or another, after the arrival of the direct TGV from Paris-Gare de Lyon to Barcelona-Sants. The paths are reserved. And Portugal seems to be part of the story...
More details (if there should be any, which is unclear) as soon as we know them.
Old October 17th, 2013, 05:26 PM   #1978
Road_UK
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1599

Rumours are also circulating that the German national railway company are going to set up a high speed connection between Amsterdam and Brussels. Something the Dutch and Belgians have been unable to do after numerous attempts...
Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2013, 06:01 PM   #1979
Sister Greed U

Old October 17th, 2013, 06:31 PM   #1980
K_

Likes (Received): 243

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_UK View Post
Rumours are also circulating that the German national railway company are going to set up a high speed connection between Amsterdam and Brussels. Something the Dutch and Belgians have been unable to do after numerous attempts...
A high speed connection has been running between Amsterdam and Brussel for quite some time now...
K_ no está en línea   Reply With Quote