daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments

General Urban Developments Discussions of projects shorter than 100m/300ft. Also, please post all other threads not specified in other Development News subforums here.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 26th, 2014, 03:44 AM   #181
GulfArabia

Likes (Received): 1513

updates 2 from the saudi forums

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saleh93 View Post

instagram.com
بعض الصور قديمة تصل الى شهرين
Quote:
Originally Posted by hamadx View Post
27-06-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3baaad 4 Jeddah View Post

from @dhom7777 twitter
GulfArabia no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 26th, 2014, 03:44 AM   #182
GulfArabia

updates 3 from the saudi forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by hqho1671 View Post

From Instagram
Quote:

From Instagram
Quote:
Originally Posted by MUHA View Post

twitter
Quote:
Originally Posted by A S H View Post
2014/6/11

Old July 26th, 2014, 03:45 AM   #183
GulfArabia

updates 4 from the saudi forum

Quote:

From Instagram .
Quote:
Originally Posted by hamadx View Post
Satellite images 10-June-2014

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by A S H View Post

Instagram
Quote:
Old August 5th, 2014, 03:39 AM   #184
GulfArabia

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naif Saudi View Post

من تويتر
Check out the Original Thread in the Saudi Section, ur welcome t comment and share your thoughts: KAFD
Old August 5th, 2014, 04:29 PM   #185
Bez_imena
Kosovo is Serbia!

Likes (Received): 3503

Amazing!
Old August 7th, 2014, 01:21 AM   #186
love-qatar

Likes (Received): 562

مفخره للمنطقه والخليج هذا الصرح

AboMalik, GulfArabia, iKHALEDM liked this post
love-qatar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2014, 09:59 AM   #187
bodegavendetta
everywhere like such as

Likes (Received): 2651

Looks great so far!

Zaz965 liked this post
bodegavendetta no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2014, 06:01 PM   #188
AboMalik

Likes (Received): 976

Great capture by @dhaferphoto

renshapratama liked this post
AboMalik no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2014, 06:19 PM   #189
GulfArabia

Saudi forums :

In Progress: Muqarnas Tower / SOM

Source

Munwon liked this post
Old August 13th, 2014, 04:56 PM   #190
D7man

Likes (Received): 70

ٍFrom Saudi forum

Munwon liked this post
D7man no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2014, 09:37 AM   #191
GulfArabia

Shot at different times this year:

renshapratama, the dogi liked this post
Old September 13th, 2014, 04:48 AM   #192
iDreams
Amateur Architect

Likes (Received): 87

Ugly Buildings

Disappointingly, I have to say these are indeed very ugly buildings. What is the obsession with replicating Manhattan with its monotone concrete rectangles with no unique design features, tightly packed together like dominoes?!!

Manhattan buildings are way out of date now and buildings like these from the 60's and 70's are being pulled down here in the UK which normally is fanatical in preserving the past.

The Kingdom Centre and The Al-Faisaliyah Centre are both admirable buildings with great design features. Why could they not continue developing King Fahd Road with high rises like Sheikh Zayed Road in Dubai? I personally think a Business District set neatly along one main road is far more attractive than a cluster of buildings packed tightly together in an urban jungle.

It seems that despite being the largest, richest, and most powerful country in the GCC, Saudi cities cannot compete with the other GCC nations.
iDreams no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2014, 04:49 AM   #193
iDreams
Amateur Architect

Ugly Buildings

Last edited by iDreams; September 13th, 2014 at 04:53 AM. Reason: Accidentally posted twice
Old September 13th, 2014, 12:47 PM   #194
AboMalik

Likes (Received): 976

Quote:
Originally Posted by iDreams View Post
Disappointingly, I have to say these are indeed very ugly buildings. What is the obsession with replicating Manhattan with its monotone concrete rectangles with no unique design features, tightly packed together like dominoes?!! Manhattan buildings are way out of date now and buildings like these from the 60's and 70's are being pulled down here in the UK which normally is fanatical in preserving the past. The Kingdom Centre and The Al-Faisaliyah Centre are both admirable buildings with great design features. Why could they not continue developing King Fahd Road with high rises like Sheikh Zayed Road in Dubai? I personally think a Business District set neatly along one main road is far more attractive than a cluster of buildings packed tightly together in an urban jungle. It seems that despite being the largest, richest, and most powerful country in the GCC, Saudi cities cannot compete with the other GCC nations.

Good points and comments.
KAFD actually is similar to Canary Wharf. I am not really sure your are pulling Canary Wharf down!

A number of towers are indeed being constructed by Al-Rajhi Bank, Rafal Residence, the twisted tower of Al-Majdoul... etc... Have a look at the Saudi Forum -> General Construction -> Riyadh. King Fahd Road will be more or less similar to Sheikh Zayed Road in the next ~5 years.

What I like about KAFD is that it is going to creat a unique car-free zone and a completely pedestrian-friendly environment, which is not the case in King Fahd or Sheikh Zayed roads. Perhaps yourself is living in the UK, you are very comfortable and it is normal for you to "walk" between buildings. However, here in the GCC, the weather in the summer is extremely hot and people drive their cars to virtually anywhere no matter how close the distance is.

KAFD buildings are designed to minimise direct exposure to sunlight and increase duration of sunshade. With shops aligning the walkways between buildings, this will encourage people to walk and hopefully enhances the quality of life for the lucky people who will live and work in KAFD. And if they still don't prefer to walk, they can cross the streets using the skywalks or ride the monorail!

I think it is one of a kind project. The whole of the GCC countries will be proud of KAFD.

Last edited by AboMalik; September 13th, 2014 at 01:22 PM.
AboMalik no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2014, 08:11 PM   #195
GulfArabia

nothing ugly here

cilindr0, LCIII, captain-gin, the dogi liked this post
Old September 14th, 2014, 11:06 PM   #196
iDreams
Amateur Architect

Quote:
Originally Posted by AboMalik View Post
Good points and comments.
KAFD actually is similar to Canary Wharf. I am not really sure your are pulling Canary Wharf down!

A number of towers are indeed being constructed by Al-Rajhi Bank, Rafal Residence, the twisted tower of Al-Majdoul... etc... Have a look at the Saudi Forum -> General Construction -> Riyadh. King Fahd Road will be more or less similar to Sheikh Zayed Road in the next ~5 years.

What I like about KAFD is that it is going to creat a unique car-free zone and a completely pedestrian-friendly environment, which is not the case in King Fahd or Sheikh Zayed roads. Perhaps yourself is living in the UK, you are very comfortable and it is normal for you to "walk" between buildings. However, here in the GCC, the weather in the summer is extremely hot and people drive their cars to virtually anywhere no matter how close the distance is.

KAFD buildings are designed to minimise direct exposure to sunlight and increase duration of sunshade. With shops aligning the walkways between buildings, this will encourage people to walk and hopefully enhances the quality of life for the lucky people who will live and work in KAFD. And if they still don't prefer to walk, they can cross the streets using the skywalks or ride the monorail!

I think it is one of a kind project. The whole of the GCC countries will be proud of KAFD.
Thanks for the link to the construction projects on King Fahd Road. The Al-Rajhi Bank Tower looks nice.

I think it's great that they're keeping KAFD a car-free zone and I understand that it will be a pretty green area with trees and plants and that environmentally friendly and ecological techniques have been employed. I appreciate your comment that a clustered setting helps create a walking environment considering the weather and Saudi habits. That's fair enough, to be honest the fact that they're close together was not a major issue for me.

I am talking more about the aesthetics of the buildings. From the renderings and even from the pictures posted so far, the materials used and the external cladding seems really dull and drab. It's too concrete-y, too much grey, not enough colour! Even if they kept the simple rectangular designs, I think blue tint windows (like the ones on the Kingdom Centre) would have looked better. Using white stone cladding could also have helped to create some colour and contrast. Have a look at the examples below of simple rectangular buildings (not fancy buildings like the Burj al Arab or the Faisaliyah Centre) in a tightly packed setting but which still look very nice because of the materials used.

Kuwait City - A nice variation in colours:

Gold Coast, Australia - Notice the beautiful white stone cladding:

Abu Dhabi:

Sydney:

Los Angeles - These buildings are simple rectangular blocks but the blue tint windows make them look sleek:

Nevertheless, it's not just the materials and cladding used, I'm just not a fan of quirky, asymmetrical, Brutalist architecture. It's a pet hate of mine!
I mean just look at those balconies!

Last edited by iDreams; September 14th, 2014 at 11:36 PM.
Old September 14th, 2014, 11:16 PM   #197
LCIII

Likes (Received): 2712

Quote:
Originally Posted by iDreams View Post
Disappointingly, I have to say these are indeed very ugly buildings. What is the obsession with replicating Manhattan with its monotone concrete rectangles with no unique design features, tightly packed together like dominoes?!!

Manhattan buildings are way out of date now and buildings like these from the 60's and 70's are being pulled down here in the UK which normally is fanatical in preserving the past.

The Kingdom Centre and The Al-Faisaliyah Centre are both admirable buildings with great design features. Why could they not continue developing King Fahd Road with high rises like Sheikh Zayed Road in Dubai? I personally think a Business District set neatly along one main road is far more attractive than a cluster of buildings packed tightly together in an urban jungle.

It seems that despite being the largest, richest, and most powerful country in the GCC, Saudi cities cannot compete with the other GCC nations.
You're out of your mind. Nothing about this cluster of buildings is remotely Manhattan. You've obviously spent little or no time in NYC. If you can look at pictures of these buildings and NYC side by side and see them as overwhelmingly similar then you should have your head examined.

NYC is the greatest city in the world, but I also totally love what they're doing here. It's modern, edgy and really fresh. I can't wait to see it in person!

GulfArabia liked this post
LCIII no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2014, 11:17 PM   #198
LCIII

Likes (Received): 2712

Also, you're preferred examples are nauseatingly boring and dull.

GulfArabia liked this post
LCIII no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2014, 12:46 AM   #199
SampedranoCapitalino

Likes (Received): 146

I also think this is too messy. Its a shame. Just look at the proposed buildings for Downton Bruj Dubai, and you'll see what good taste is.

I'm not saying these buildings are ugly. I'm just saying they don't look good cramped together. There is no flow. No harmony. It looks really bad. It's just one huge mess.

iDreams liked this post
SampedranoCapitalino no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2014, 12:49 AM   #200
SampedranoCapitalino

Likes (Received): 146

Those bridge tunnels must be the worst I've ever seen. No flow with the buildings. Tacky.
SampedranoCapitalino no está en línea   Reply With Quote