daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Photo Forums > Urban Showcase

Urban Showcase Show your selfmade photos

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 4th, 2011, 10:25 PM   #101
Bristol Mike
Rain + Cold = England

Likes (Received): 2373

THURSDAY 3RD FEBRUARY

5C / 41F

WEATHER: Sunny / MAX 5C / MIN 0C / BARO 1021mb / WIND 10mph (S) / HU 68%

METROPOLITAN LINE
Aldgate

We now travel along the Metropolitan Line through London, seeing what each emergence looks like at each stop. It was the first underground railway (or subway) in the world, opening on 10 January 1863. Parts of that initial section are no longer served by the Metropolitan line, but by the Hammersmith & City, District and Circle lines. For more information: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metropolitan_line

The first stop is Aldgate. Aldgate was the eastern most gateway through London Wall leading from the City of London to Whitechapel and the east end of London. Aldgate gives its name to a ward of the City. This is bounded by White Kennet Street in the north and Crutched Friars in the south, taking in Leadenhall and Fenchurch Streets, which remain principal thoroughfares through the City of London, each splitting from the fifty-metre street named Aldgate that connects to Aldgate High Street. There are only two buildings on the street. To the north is Sir John Cass's school, where a plaque records the former placement of London Wall. To the south is AXA's UK head office, a French insurance company. For more information: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aldgate

Bristol Mike no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 4th, 2011, 11:26 PM   #102
PortoNuts

Likes (Received): 7488

Thanks for the pictures. Some office groundscrapers are quite good even though for most people it's almost compulsory to say they're awful, just to keep up the tradition.
Old February 5th, 2011, 02:20 PM   #103
Bristol Mike
Rain + Cold = England

Quote:
Originally Posted by PortoNuts View Post
Thanks for the pictures. Some office groundscrapers are quite good even though for most people it's almost compulsory to say they're awful, just to keep up the tradition.
Yes, I would agree some of them are alright but with the elegant appearance of many of the old buildings, some of them just don't fit in. I certainly thought the bright blue building whose occupation I'm not sure of certainly stood out amidst the other older buildings but not necessarily in an ugly way.
Cheers.
Old February 5th, 2011, 02:30 PM   #104
Bristol Mike
Rain + Cold = England

METROPOLITAN LINE
Liverpool Street

Liverpool Street railway station, also known as London Liverpool Street or simply Liverpool Street, is both a central London railway terminus and a connected London Underground station in the north-eastern corner of the City of London. It is the terminus of two main lines: the busier Great Eastern Main Line (GEML) to Ipswich and Norwich, and the West Anglia Main Line to Cambridge. There are also many local commuter services to parts of East London and Essex. In addition, it is the terminus of the Stansted Express, a fast link to London Stansted Airport.

It is one of the busiest stations in the United Kingdom, the third busiest in London after Waterloo and Victoria with 123 million visitors each year. Liverpool Street is one of seventeen stations directly managed by Network Rail. The station has exits to Bishopsgate, Liverpool Street and the Broadgate development. The station connects the Central Line, Circle Line, Hammersmith & City Line, and of course, the Metropolitan Line.
For more information: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liverpool_Street_station

Old February 6th, 2011, 03:08 PM   #105
Bristol Mike
Rain + Cold = England

Update coming shortly!
Old February 6th, 2011, 05:22 PM   #106
Deanb

Likes (Received): 684

great city to do such a thread about... keep going & come visit mine more!
Old February 6th, 2011, 08:58 PM   #107
Bristol Mike
Rain + Cold = England

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deanb View Post
great city to do such a thread about... keep going & come visit mine more!
Thanks mate, glad you like!
Old February 6th, 2011, 09:05 PM   #108
Bristol Mike
Rain + Cold = England

METROPOLITAN LINE
Moorgate

Moorgate was a postern in the London Wall originally built by the Romans, previously named Moore Gate. It was turned into a gate in the 15th century. Though the gate was demolished in 1762, the name survives as a major street in the City of London. The street connects the City to the London Boroughs of Islington and Hackney, and was constructed around 1846 as one of the new approaches to London Bridge.

The name "Moorgate" derives from the surrounding area of Moorfields, which was one of the last pieces of open land in the City. Today this region is a financial centre, and is home to several investment banks. The street also showcases historic and contemporary office buildings.

The Moorgate station on the London Underground is remembered for the Moorgate tube crash of 1975. In the incident, a train terminating at the station failed to stop and crashed into a brick wall, and 43 people were killed. This resulted in systems being installed on the Underground which automatically stop trains at dead-ends, which have become known as Moorgate control.

For more information: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moorgate

Old February 6th, 2011, 09:53 PM   #109
madridhere

Likes (Received): 110

London is always great, Mike.Life everywhere
La libertad, Sancho, es uno de los más preciosos dones que a los hombres dieron los cielos; con ella no pueden igualarse los tesoros que encierran la tierra y el mar: por la libertad, así como por la honra, se puede y debe aventurar la vida.
Freedom, Sancho, is one of the most precious gifts that Heaven gave to men; with it the treasures of the earth and the sea can´t be compared; for freedom, and for honour, one can and one should give his life(Cervantes in "Don Quixote")

Il faut être absolument moderne (Rimbaud)
madridhere no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2011, 03:53 PM   #110
Bristol Mike
Rain + Cold = England

Quote:
Originally Posted by madridhere View Post
London is always great, Mike.Life everywhere
Thanks mate! Glad you like.
Old February 7th, 2011, 04:00 PM   #111
Bristol Mike
Rain + Cold = England

METROPOLITAN LINE
Barbican

The station was first called "Aldersgate Street", this being the name of the street on which it stands. This changed to "Aldersgate" on 1 November 1910, then to "Aldersgate and Barbican" in 1923, and to the present name from 1 December 1968.

Barbican Centre is the largest performing arts centre in Europe. Located in the north of the City of London, England, in the heart of the Barbican Estate, the Centre hosts classical and contemporary music concerts, theatre performances, film screenings and art exhibitions. It also houses a library, three restaurants, and a conservatory. The London Symphony Orchestra and the BBC Symphony Orchestra are based in the Barbican Centre's concert hall.

The Barbican Centre is owned, funded, and managed by the City of London Corporation, the third-largest arts funder in the United Kingdom. It was built as the city's gift to the nation at a cost of £161 million (equivalent to £400 million in 2007), and opened by Queen Elizabeth II on March 3, 1982.

Last edited by Bristol Mike; February 8th, 2011 at 11:54 PM.
Old February 8th, 2011, 01:16 PM   #112
Bristol Mike
Rain + Cold = England

Any thoughts, comments or questions before the next batch go up?
Old February 8th, 2011, 06:13 PM   #113
Benonie
Bike It!

Likes (Received): 19758

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bristol Mike View Post
Any thoughts, comments or questions before the next batch go up?
Yes, I love it and yes, I should visit Londin again... it's been 25 years or so since my last visit and the city looks quite different...
Benonie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2011, 12:00 AM   #114
Bristol Mike
Rain + Cold = England

METROPOLITAN LINE
Farringdon

Farringdon station is a London Underground and National Rail station in Clerkenwell, just north of the City of London in the London Borough of Islington. It is currently one of the smaller central London stations with mainline services, but it will become more important in the future as it is at the intersection of the two largest transport infrastructure programmes underway in London, the Thameslink Programme and Crossrail, which are scheduled for completion in 2016 and 2018 respectively.

Farringdon Road is a road in Clerkenwell, Central London. Its construction, which took almost 20 years between the 1840s and the 1860s, is considered one of the greatest urban engineering achievements of the nineteenth century. Not only was it one of the first engineered multi-lane roads, but it also buried the River Fleet in a system of underground tunnels, solving one of London's most daunting sanitary problems. Its construction also included the building of the world's first stretch of underground railway, a branch of the Metropolitan Railway that later became part of the London Underground running beneath Farringdon Road from King's Cross St. Pancras into the City at Farringdon station.

For more information: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Farringdon_Road

Old February 9th, 2011, 12:36 PM   #115
christos-greece
Moderator!

Likes (Received): 244473

The city of London under your photos is really very nice
christos-greece está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2011, 08:18 PM   #116
Bristol Mike
Rain + Cold = England

Quote:
Originally Posted by christos-greece View Post
The city of London under your photos is really very nice
Thanks Christos!
Old February 9th, 2011, 11:37 PM   #117
SYDNEY

Likes (Received):

The Barbican is a great example of brutalism at it's best and it was one of the buildings that I studied during my studies - at first I hated it but I have grown to love it (once you understand something one's view point changes drastically).

Thanks for all the great updates and pics Mike
Old February 10th, 2011, 12:42 AM   #118
Bristol Mike
Rain + Cold = England

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benonie View Post
Yes, I love it and yes, I should visit Londin again... it's been 25 years or so since my last visit and the city looks quite different...
Wow, it has been a long time. A LOT has changed since then haha. I think the city has found a high level of diversity now that I wouldn't want to see pushed or spoilt by too much glass. More emphasis should be put on constructing in the style of the past as well as plastering the place with modern highrises.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SYDNEY View Post
The Barbican is a great example of brutalism at it's best and it was one of the buildings that I studied during my studies - at first I hated it but I have grown to love it (once you understand something one's view point changes drastically).

Thanks for all the great updates and pics Mike
Hi mate! Yes, having only seen a few pictures of it initially, I really did see it as a bane on London's skyline. But actually, it's a real gem of a brutalist place - one of the best in the world in my honest opinion (and I'm not being London biased lol). It also makes for some interesting shots up older, narrower streets such as those in Farringdon.
Old February 10th, 2011, 12:44 AM   #119
SYDNEY

Likes (Received):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bristol Mike View Post
Hi mate! Yes, having only seen a few pictures of it initially, I really did see it as a bane on London's skyline. But actually, it's a real gem of a brutalist place - one of the best in the world in my honest opinion (and I'm not being London biased lol). It also makes for some interesting shots up older, narrower streets such as those in Farringdon.
I hear ya, at first sight it can be a monster but one grows to appreciate it. There are some top apartments in there with great interior designs Have fun in London mate, I am jealous
Old February 10th, 2011, 03:20 PM   #120
Bristol Mike
Rain + Cold = England

Quote:
Originally Posted by SYDNEY View Post
I hear ya, at first sight it can be a monster but one grows to appreciate it. There are some top apartments in there with great interior designs Have fun in London mate, I am jealous
I'm sure there are! I can just picture what they may look like on the inside. I will certainly have fun in London and it won't be long before there are some spring updates in Bristol as well.