daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 29th, 2006, 01:59 AM   #21
HKT

Likes (Received): 4

Just wondering if you have any pictures of an ex-AC Transit Gillig Phantom in Muni's livery?
HKT no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 29th, 2006, 04:03 AM   #22
ode of bund

Likes (Received): 70

ode of bund no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2006, 12:59 AM   #23
bayviews

Likes (Received): 51

Good pictures and great map of SF’s Trolleybus system. Yea, the mid-1970s Flyers have proven very durable as some remained in operation nearly 30 years! To clarify, there are also nearly 60 articulated New Flyers from the mid-1990s.
bayviews no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2006, 01:36 AM   #24
mr_storms

SF trolley buses are quite unique in the US, certainly cool. I never really have the need to use them when im in SF though, its almost always bart and Muni Metro
Old April 2nd, 2006, 03:31 AM   #25
Jayayess1190

Likes (Received): 45

Septa here in Philly had New Flyer Trolley Buses, until around 2003. In 2007-08 we will be getting New Flyer trackless trollies.
Old April 3rd, 2006, 02:51 AM   #26
bayviews

Likes (Received): 51

Really glad to hear that SEPTA has finally decided to order new trolleybuses. The low-floor New Flyers look much better than SF's 1990s New Flyers. Or for that matter the new ETI-Skoda's! Is SEPTA going to repoen the South Philly TB lines? Or just the North/Northeast TB lines?
bayviews no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2006, 05:04 AM   #27
greg_christine

Likes (Received): 142

The cities in the United States with electric trolley bus lines are:

Cambridge, MA
Dayton, OH
Philadelphia, PA
San Francisco, CA
Seattle, WA

Electric trolley buses are an option that has been overlooked by many cities that are anxious to build streetcar lines. Electric trolley buses bring many of the same advantages as streetcars (quiet operation and low pollution levels) at much lower cost.
greg_christine no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2006, 06:08 AM   #28
Jayayess1190

Likes (Received): 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayviews
Really glad to hear that SEPTA has finally decided to order new trolleybuses. The low-floor New Flyers look much better than SF's 1990s New Flyers. Or for that matter the new ETI-Skoda's! Is SEPTA going to repoen the South Philly TB lines? Or just the North/Northeast TB lines?
Only three of the five routes will return to trackless trollies. Routes 59, 66, and 75.

Last edited by Jayayess1190; April 5th, 2006 at 06:18 AM.
Jayayess1190 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2006, 08:04 AM   #29
jamesinclair

Likes (Received): 83

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg_christine
The cities in the United States with electric trolley bus lines are:

Cambridge, MA
Dayton, OH
Philadelphia, PA
San Francisco, CA
Seattle, WA

Electric trolley buses are an option that has been overlooked by many cities that are anxious to build streetcar lines. Electric trolley buses bring many of the same advantages as streetcars (quiet operation and low pollution levels) at much lower cost.
Because they go voer the road, people think its ugly.

I like them though, heres a bit from mexico city:

jamesinclair no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2006, 08:09 AM   #30
[email protected]_Coast

Likes (Received): 0

Vancouver, Canada also has electric trolley buses.
West@East_Coast no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2006, 07:03 AM   #31
elkram
BANNED

The fact that the SF trollies were able to maintain their zippy speeds when negotiating intersections whereabove there were mazes of wires was quite impressive. In Vancouver, plus Toronto when it used to have some, they always slowed quite a bit to negotiate their intersections.

Cheers,
Chris
elkram no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2006, 03:36 AM   #32
elkram
BANNED

Although in a different country, Montreal's short section has been around a few years -- at the east end of the advertized five-station downtown segment, which captures an interchange serving two other lines, the signal appears to fully deteriorate after the following station. They were wanting to apply it to the entirely underground network here once they start renovating the stations.

Cheers,
Chris
elkram no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2006, 09:46 AM   #33
TRZ
Welcome to the Rail World

I remember hearing friends talk about how they wish this would happen and how much money could be generated by the company that would do it.

However, is this really an additional service to passengers?

I can tell you right now this would never happen in Tokyo. It's nothing that they can't afford, but it is promoting inconsiderence. Cell-phone use on surface-line trains are a problem, not an "additional service". Tokyo's subway system is fully wired in the stations, but there are lots of reminders for not using your cell-phone on the train. The also applies to GO Transit in Greater Toronto - people are too inconsiderate to the other passengers around them when screaming into their cell phones on a crowded train. These U.S. operators are seriously asking for trouble. I guarantee lots of passenger complaints in the future.

EXTREEEEEEEEEEEME transit geek
TRZ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2006, 11:36 AM   #34
jose_kwan
HKer @ Bay Area

FINALLY!!!!!!!!!
jose_kwan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2006, 12:35 AM   #35
greg_christine

Likes (Received): 142

San Jose, California Light Rail Excursion

During a business trip last week, I found myself with a free evening in San Jose. I boarded a light rail train in the downtown area at Gish Station and took a round trip on the line between Winchester and Mountain View. The southern segment of the line is the relatively recent Vasona extension. The following are some pictures from that excursion:

Train at Gish Station.

Looking down corridor.

The high-floor section.

Looking back from the high-floor section.

Bike racks in the middle section.

Bike rack in use.

Train at Tasman Station waiting for transfers from Alum Rock Line.

Train at Mountain View Station.

Window reflection self-portrait.

Light rail ticket.

The following are some observations from the ride:

Trains
The trains were very clean and free of graffiti. All the trains on the light rail system are now the Kinkisharyo 70% low-floor trains that went into service during the past few years.

The trains ride very smoothly and do not exhibit the "hunting" motion that I have heard is a problem with low-floor trains from other manufacturers.

The driver's station is in a cab that is isolated from the passenger compartment by a bulkhead with a door. Driver's stations exist at both ends of each car.

Stations
Most of the stations have been rebuilt so that the platforms provide an Americans with Disabilities Act compliant gap with the low-floor trains. A couple of the stations in the downtown area are still in the process of being rebuilt. All the stations that I saw were open air and most were at street level.

Tickets are purchased at the stations at vending machines. I purchased an "Excursion Pass" for $3.50 that was good for eight hours on the light rail system. I did not encounter any ticket inspectors during my ride..

Track Arrangement
The line runs predominantly on the medians of surface streets. I did not notice any areas where the light rail tracks shared lanes with motor vehicles.

The area around the municipal buildings in downtown San Jose has been turned into sort of a transit mall with the northbound and southbound tracks following separate routes that form a loop. The narrow streets in this area lose one lane at the side of the street to the light rail tracks.

Part of the Winchester end of the line is single-track with some segments on viaducts.

Operations
The trains reverse direction by switching ends at the terminal stations.. I believe the trains were operating at fifteen minute headways, which gave plenty of time for the driver to switch cabs and reverse the train.

The train that I rode started out as a two-car train. During the return pass through the downtown area, the passengers in the second car were asked to move to the first car so that the second car could be uncoupled and taken out of service.

The trains feature "Stop Request" strips on the walls next to the doors. The driver skips stations at which he does not see people waiting on the platforms unless the "Stop Request" strip has been pressed. This results in a faster ride but requires that the passengers be more alert.

I did not observe the trains having to make stops for traffic lights. I suspect that traffic signal preemption is used.

Bikes
The central segment of each car has seats on one side and bike racks on the other side. The bike racks require that the bikes be lifted on end. This makes for a very compact stowage arrangement; however, some bike riders chose to simply stand with their bikes next to the door near the middle section, which certainly was easier than lifting the bike and was not a major problem due to the light passenger load on the train.

Speed
If there is one aspect of the system that I would criticize it is the speed of the trains. An 18-mile end-to-end ride on the Winchester-Mountain View line took about 1 hour and 15 minutes.

With the line running predominantly on surface streets, maximum speeds are generally limited to 35 mph. The speeds are probably higher on the viaduct sections of the Vasona extension but are much lower in the area around the municipal buildings in downtown San Jose. City buses operating in parallel traffic lanes had no trouble keeping pace with the trains.

I had dinner the next evening with friends who live in Saratoga. The husband works at a building that is near the River Oaks light rail station in San Jose. The Winchester, Campbell, and Hamilton light rail stations are all an easy drive on surface streets from their home; however, the husband does not use the light rail system because it is just too slow.

A referendum to increase taxes to fund an extension of BART from Fremont to San Jose was recently rejected by the voters. A cheaper alternative would be to extend the light rail system to Fremont; however, this is probably not viable due to the low speed of the light rail trains.
greg_christine no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2006, 05:02 AM   #36
Dr.VitO
Highrise Only

GOOD news i miss my old city
Dr.VitO no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2006, 09:50 AM   #37
mr_storms

I cant beleive I missed this thread. Nice pictures
let me guess, the pictures with no one on them were taken on the mountain view line? That certain section gets just horrible ridership and makes lots of stops in the middle of nowhere *cough*nasa/bayshore*cough*. Vasona is better designed though, goes so much faster and gets better ridership
Old July 21st, 2006, 11:40 AM   #38
Alargule
Res Uder et Siger

Likes (Received): 2079

What is it with the US and building new light rail systems? Whatever happened to the good ol' car?
Alargule no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2006, 10:00 AM   #39
spongeg

Likes (Received): 1730

nice

the trains look so empty is it normally like that?
spongeg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2006, 10:52 PM   #40
samsonyuen
SSLL

Likes (Received): 314

Nice thread. I've wondered what the light rail in SJ looked like. Why was it so empty? It looks a bit dated (the trains), but quite clean.
samsonyuen no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
bart, muni, sacramento, san francisco, smart