daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 23rd, 2012, 01:30 PM   #481
Falubaz

Likes (Received): 2940

The Golden Gate Transit buses have just one door, which makes the trip longer, because of longer stops, first ppl have to get off then to get in. Why do they use this type of vehicles? It seems inadequate.

₪₪₪Zielona Gσra moim okiem₪₪₪ Zielonogσrskie autobusy₪₪₪Port Lotniczy ZIElona Gσra₪₪₪ BRT₪₪₪ścieżki rowerowe w ZG
₪₪₪[Świat] „Przebłyski pamięci”₪₪₪Moja Ameryka - nie tylko Stany
Falubaz no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 23rd, 2012, 07:30 PM   #482
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Likes (Received): 11243

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falubaz
The Golden Gate Transit buses have just one door, which makes the trip longer, because of longer stops, first ppl have to get off then to get in. Why do they use this type of vehicles? It seems inadequate.
Good question, but let me clarify something: the Orion V, RTS-TMC, and New Flyer buses have two to three doors each.

The nature of Golden Gate Transit is more of a Transbay commuter service, meaning that indeed, trips would be much longer than a normal city bus. Plus, the coverage area is pretty large that you would really imagine how long some routes actually are in hours rather than miles. What do I mean? Just look at the map below:

http://goldengatetransit.org/farepro...rezonemap.html

The longest regular trip operates between San Francisco and Santa Rosa, in which three types of buses operate:

- the regular, stopping route (Route 80) could take up to three (you heard this right) hours one-way (uses Orion V). Operates one weekday morning trip and weeknights after 5pm, plus all-day weekends and holidays
- the limited stop express route (Route 101) takes up to around 2-1/2 hours one-way (uses Orion V, RTS-TMC, or MCI). Operates everyday
- the express routes (Routes 72, 72X, 101X) take around two to 2-1/2 hours one-way (with way fewer stops, only in Sonoma County, and uses Orion V or MCI). Operates weekday peak periods only (AM to San Francisco, PM to Santa Rosa)

Total distance: about 80km (55 miles)

While both trips have the same fare, the key difference is the stopping pattern, and that passengers don't mind about queuing in line just to get on and off the bus. Plus, consider this: while there are multiple trips a day to and from San Francisco, given the travel length between San Francisco and Santa Rosa, the first express bus (Route 72) out of Santa Rosa in the AM leaves before 4:00am (at 3:51am in the current schedule), while the only Route 80 leaves around 10 minutes after the express bus to San Francisco also (but, to Civic Center).

In addition, many of the commuter trips also have bicycles on board (given that a lot of commuters are bicyclists as well); in fact, all of Golden Gate Transit's nearly 200-bus fleet have either front-mounted bike racks (up to 3 bikes, all bus types except the MCIs) or under-storage bike racks (up to 2 bikes, all MCIs). (Note: on all East Bay-bound trips between San Rafael and El Cerrito, bike riders could carry their bikes into the bus if the front-mounted bike rack is full, and that the riders are responsible for strapping their bikes inside the bus).

Plus, what makes Golden Gate Transit unique to all other Bay Area operators include the following:

- Overhead reading lights (except New Flyers)
- Reclining seats (except New Flyers)
- WiFi on board (progressively introduced on all buses)
- Foldable tables (only on MCI D4500s)
- Overhead baggage racks (except New Flyers)

And the coolest part: even though these buses are used mainly on commuter routes, many of them are used on local routes within Marin County as well. It's the flexibility with the fleet that really allows Golden Gate Transit (and Marin Transit, for that matter) to choose which bus types operate on which routes or trips for a particular day. Let me summarize it this way:

- Orion V (41 seats): basic, commuter, local, school runs
- MCIs (57 seats): basic (Routes 80 and 101), commuter, school runs (tied to commuter)
- RTS-TMC (39 seats): basic, commuter, local, school runs
- New Flyers (29 or 58 seats): local, school runs

As an aside: a Golden Gate Transit policy states that while standees are allowed on all trips, a maximum of ten (10) standees are permitted when crossing over the Golden Gate Bridge and all Transbay services. This is to ensure passenger safety. Also, more than likely, the commuter trips have more Clipper card riders on board versus cash-paying customers (Clipper is similar to the Oyster Card in London or the Octopus in Hong Kong).

San Carlos • San Bruno • San Mateo • Saint Helena • Ross
fieldsofdreams no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2012, 10:32 PM   #483
Woonsocket54
PC LOAD LETTER

Likes (Received): 5734

Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldsofdreams View Post
Clipper is similar to the Oyster Card in London or the Octopus in Hong Kong.
It is worth noting that while Clipper Card does have a marine them, it does not start with an "O" like the big three marine-themed transit smart cards (Orca, Oyster, Octopus).

What is the other marine-themed transit smart card that does not start with an O? That would be the Walrus Card in Liverpool, England.
Woonsocket54 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2012, 11:38 PM   #484
trainrover
:-x

Likes (Received): 738

Montreal's is Opus although it shirks its port burg legacy.
trainrover no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2012, 11:51 PM   #485
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Woonsocket: oh yeah? I wonder why the marine theme is used for naming such commuter card services. Interesting trend...

Trainrover: hmmm, Montreal must integrate its marine theme with the city being on an island in the middle of a river. By the way, is there any hope that the Metro will expand even further in the city?

Old September 23rd, 2012, 11:55 PM   #486
trainrover

State of affairs there appear to even astonish (butch) French Canadians
Old September 24th, 2012, 12:34 AM   #487
trainrover

Further? as in blathering about it? Farther?
Old September 24th, 2012, 01:24 AM   #488
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by trainrover
Further? as in blathering about it? Farther?
Yeah, that's the case with government officials. Transportation planners create the new ideas, while the government may or may not fund it, and then the splinter neighborhood groups could block it because it could cause "blight" in their community. What's going on here is this:

More roads: absolutely
More highway lanes: definitely
More public transit: no to maybe
More trains: maybe to yes
More bike lanes: no to maybe

Where are the priorities then? Stuck in the car culture?

Old September 24th, 2012, 03:18 AM   #489
trainrover

Although their ideas aren't new, at least the ones around here aren't...big business is succeeding at quashing responsible governance.
Old September 24th, 2012, 03:33 AM   #490
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by trainrover
Although their ideas aren't new, at least the ones around here aren't...big business is succeeding at quashing responsible governance.
Yeah, sounds like many of the RepubliCONs in the US. Big business and billionaires first rather than social welfare and progressive development. No wonder I won't vote for Mitt and Paul... Or any RepubliCONs for that matter.

Old September 24th, 2012, 07:33 AM   #491
bayviews

Likes (Received): 51

Quote:
I'll be joining this bandwagon as a frequent commuter on Bay Area public transit, with extensive commentary and dedicated knowledge on transit developments.

I've actually seen the BART at 40 banners, bayviews, and it seems like I'll see what I can do to participate in that event. And oh, today is the exact day of the 40th anniversary of BART, which makes me think of doing a special blog entry or a revised photo album for the commuter train connecting the Peninsula and the East Bay. I just hope the older trains will be replaced soon because some of them are already close to worn out from decades of use.

And on the Muni Fleet Renewal Program, it's really time to do so because it seems like each time I've ridden Muni buses, it looks like tired, overworked, and already deserving to be retired from use. Those buses have already exceeded their lifespan, and when those buses run even longer, it strains the already old bus even further by breaking down even more easily sometimes. I've already Muni bus breakdowns quite a bit, so I think those buses deserve a good change.
Welcome Aboard!

I coudn't agree with you more.

No doubt you probably saw the front page article re: MUNI's transit "Going Nowhere" in this Sunday's Examiner? Good article. However they somehow missed the "giant elephant in the tunnel", AKA the Central Subway or the $1.6 Billion Boondoogle that's devouring a large share of the attention & worse yet, funding that might otherwise benefit MUNI.
bayviews no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2012, 07:35 AM   #492
bayviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by trainrover View Post
What makes you think that, are you joking?
Good joke!
Old September 24th, 2012, 07:39 AM   #493
bayviews

Quote:

State of affairs there appear to even astonish (butch) French Canadians

Its well known that these "New" Flyers (circa mid-1990s) are the oldest & by far the least capable of MUNI's TB fleet.

BTW, their made up in your Canada!
Old September 24th, 2012, 08:07 AM   #494
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayviews

Welcome Aboard!

I coudn't agree with you more.

No doubt you probably saw the front page article re: MUNI's transit "Going Nowhere" in this Sunday's Examiner? Good article. However they somehow missed the "giant elephant in the tunnel", AKA the Central Subway or the $1.6 Billion Boondoogle that's devouring a large share of the attention & worse yet, funding that might otherwise benefit MUNI.
I haven't seen it... But I can download the Examiner today on my iPad (smart thinking ) and read it up. And oh yeah, THAT Central Subway scuffofle indeed: I've seen Stockton Street between Market and Sutter closed to traffic to give way to the tunnel. When will Muni close the Stockton Tunnel to continue the route to Chinatown? And let me guess: massive rerouting for the 8x series, 30, and 45... Where will Muni send those buses to?

I just hope that Muni will bring those new buses in sooner. The NABI buses to me seem to be worn out, overused, and deserve to be retired immediately.

Old September 24th, 2012, 08:13 AM   #495
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayviews

Its well known that these "New" Flyers (circa mid-1990s) are the oldest & by far the least capable of MUNI's TB fleet.

BTW, their made up in your Canada!
Heck yeah, those New Flyers... Muni opted to get the Neoplan buses instead probably because of the high-floored requirement before the Orion VII low-floor variants entered the fleet. But, no offense, the New Flyers for Golden Gate Transit are working really well, especially with air conditioning.

Old September 24th, 2012, 08:55 AM   #496
quashlo

Likes (Received): 3215

Quote:
I haven't seen it... But I can download the Examiner today on my iPad (smart thinking ) and read it up. And oh yeah, THAT Central Subway scuffofle indeed: I've seen Stockton Street between Market and Sutter closed to traffic to give way to the tunnel. When will Muni close the Stockton Tunnel to continue the route to Chinatown? And let me guess: massive rerouting for the 8x series, 30, and 45... Where will Muni send those buses to?
They shouldn't need to close the Stockton Tunnel... That's the whole point of using TBMs. The only reason the other section of Stockton is closed is because they're constructing that segment using cut-and-cover.

Quote:
State of affairs there appear to even astonish (butch) French Canadians[/CENTER]
Nothing to be too "astonished" by... This isn't exactly a rare occurrence on TB systems, and can be caused by any number of factors from driver error to equipment malfunction... Can't really draw much from this one video.

Personally, I prefer the New Flyer TBs to the Skodas, which have a piss-poor interior layout.
quashlo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2012, 09:34 AM   #497
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by quashlo View Post
They shouldn't need to close the Stockton Tunnel... That's the whole point of using TBMs. The only reason the other section of Stockton is closed is because they're constructing that segment using cut-and-cover.
True, but the problem would be how would the TBM run under an already existing tunnel... plus, will the soil in the area remain stable in the process because that area has a steep hill on top of the existing tunnel? I mean, it could really cause problems in terms of noise and earth movement in the area... probably by careful construction and restricting work to nighttime could help ease the burdens.

Old September 24th, 2012, 10:12 AM   #498
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

So another day, another set of new pics indeed...

To continue my suburban tales on transit, here are more Golden Gate Transit pics. However, these buses have something special applied to them:

Bus number 1501, an Orion V bus. In 2004, this was painted as the "Whale Bus" by a renowned Marin County artist, Jon Sumner, as a replacement to another, earlier Whale Bus on a RTS-TMC bus. It covers the entire exterior of the bus, and its environmental message is "To Live on the Land, We Must Learn from the Sea."

Bus number 901, a MCI D4500CT bus. Arrived in 2010, this bus was painted by Jon Sumner in 2012 to commemorate the 75th anniversary of the opening of the Golden Gate Bridge held in May. It was painted all through the exterior of the bus, similar to the Whale Bus.

Old September 26th, 2012, 07:04 AM   #499
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Just had a very bad commute again tonight: my Golden Gate Transit commuter bus (Route 58 ) never showed up at the Golden Gate Bridge earlier when I was heading home. I even had to turn down two commuter buses because knowing the system, when the two routes pass by ahead of my bus (Routes 27 and 38 ), then I know that my bus would be behind them. But I waited for 30 minutes just to get a bus heading back home with no success... So I took the last Route 44 bus, got off in San Rafael... Missed the last Route 49 home.

Old September 28th, 2012, 04:31 AM   #500
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Didn't commute anywhere today, but I've accomplished a large album that is essential for this thread... And it's up for discussion:

I've got more than half of my transportation galleries open, with Muni bus being the latest gallery set opened. The links:

http://www.anthonynachor.com/galleries.html
http://www.anthonynachor.com/muni-bus.html (latest)

Tags
bart, muni, sacramento, san francisco, smart