daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 28th, 2012, 08:40 AM   #501
bayviews

Likes (Received): 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldsofdreams View Post
Didn't commute anywhere today, but I've accomplished a large album that is essential for this thread... And it's up for discussion:

I've got more than half of my transportation galleries open, with Muni bus being the latest gallery set opened. The links:

http://www.anthonynachor.com/galleries.html
http://www.anthonynachor.com/muni-bus.html (latest)
Great Dreams! What an OUTSTANDING photo gallery!

Just What We Need!

Now if only we could see MUNI with some newer, up-to-date models!

Rather than the same old clunkies built to MUNI only specs.
bayviews no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 28th, 2012, 08:44 AM   #502
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Likes (Received): 11243

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayviews

Great Dreams! What an OUTSTANDING photo gallery!

Just What We Need!

Now if only we could see MUNI with some newer, up-to-date models!

Rather than the same old clunkies built to MUNI only specs.
Hahaha I know, right? I prefer sharing my albums on my own site because I travel so much that I would use my own site to spark discussions in here. So which among the galleries I have you like the most? And anything that needs expansion or improvements?

San Carlos • San Bruno • San Mateo • Saint Helena • Ross
fieldsofdreams no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2012, 07:05 PM   #503
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Another gallery set just finished, and I'm already planning on making a new gallery dedicated to current and future Bus Rapid Transit services. The latest gallery:

http://www.anthonynachor.com/vta-bus.html

Old September 30th, 2012, 09:50 PM   #504
Falubaz

Likes (Received): 2940

BRT in SF? Cool, where would that be?

₪₪₪Zielona Gσra moim okiem₪₪₪ Zielonogσrskie autobusy₪₪₪Port Lotniczy ZIElona Gσra₪₪₪ BRT₪₪₪ścieżki rowerowe w ZG
₪₪₪[Świat] „Przebłyski pamięci”₪₪₪Moja Ameryka - nie tylko Stany
Falubaz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2012, 12:38 AM   #505
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falubaz
BRT in SF? Cool, where would that be?
There are already three operating BRT lines, two by AC Transit in the East Bay, the other by VTA in Santa Clara County. I'm still debating though if the BRT in the North Bay can be considered a true BRT, if not a limited-stop express bus, since it has similar elements to the BRT, but it runs mostly on the highway.

Old October 1st, 2012, 09:50 AM   #506
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Finally launched a brand new gallery showcasing Bus Rapid Transit in the San Francisco Bay Area! Details and images at

http://www.anthonynachor.com/bus-rapid-transit.html

Old October 2nd, 2012, 12:57 AM   #507
bayviews

Likes (Received): 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldsofdreams View Post
Finally launched a brand new gallery showcasing Bus Rapid Transit in the San Francisco Bay Area! Details and images at

http://www.anthonynachor.com/bus-rapid-transit.html

Speaking of SF State University, what's your take on the quality of transit access to/from SFSU?

When it comes to the MUNI Metro, the M Oceanview, the line serving SFSU, seems to suffer the worst service of any of of the MUNI metro lines.

Then in the afternoon, during the weekdays there's usually a huge lineup of hundreds of students waiting for the backlog of buses.
bayviews no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2012, 08:35 AM   #508
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Likes (Received): 17032

Visit the New Jersey Section
Nexis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2012, 09:59 AM   #509
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayviews

Speaking of SF State University, what's your take on the quality of transit access to/from SFSU?

When it comes to the MUNI Metro, the M Oceanview, the line serving SFSU, seems to suffer the worst service of any of of the MUNI metro lines.

Then in the afternoon, during the weekdays there's usually a huge lineup of hundreds of students waiting for the backlog of buses.
I find the quality of transit access to and from SF State to be all right, except that most of the mainline buses serving the university (Lines 28 and 29) tend to be overcrowded and standing room only often, especially during the PM commute. It also happens on the AM commute, but I usually avoid the 28 in the AM because many times, the overcrowded buses result in funky smells, especially when a homeless person who may not have taken a shower for days hops in and sits along with dozens of standees. I even had bad experiences of bus breakdowns on the AM commute for Line 28, resulting in delays.

As a matter of fact, Line 28-Nineteenth Avenue has been reported as having the worst on-time performance of any Muni bus line, with only around 44% of its trips being on-time. Reasons include overcrowding, poor traffic signal coordination, and inconsistent scheduling. Even though the 28 runs every 10 to 20 minutes, line 28L (19th Avenue Limited) is underutilized, as it usually bunches up with line 28 buses (usually, the line 28L will run ahead of the 28 by just a matter of 2 to 3 minutes), making it quite inefficient.

And for the Muni Metro M, it suffers from overcrowding as well... But not as severe as on the 28 and 29. Same story goes for the 17: many people do not realize though that the 17 can bring riders between Parkmerced and West Portal Station, making it an alternative to the M.

SF State also provides a free shuttle service between 7am and 10:30pm Mondays to Thursdays, 7am to 7pm Fridays. With it being free, long queues form, with around 50 to 75 people forming a long line especially during the afternoon. Standees are allowed in them too.

Old October 3rd, 2012, 11:09 AM   #510
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Another improvement made from my galleries: this time, new bus pictures and interiors from Muni.

http://www.anthonynachor.com/muni-bus.html

Currently in the works: the shuttle bus section, and I'm about to expand the Bay Area taxi collection.

Old October 4th, 2012, 03:51 AM   #511
trainrover
:-x

Likes (Received): 738

Nice score, Nexis
trainrover no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2012, 05:17 PM   #512
bulabog jalaur

Likes (Received): 296

I prefer metro rather than brt in SF.
Old October 4th, 2012, 08:25 PM   #513
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulabog jalaur
I prefer metro rather than brt in SF.
Why metro over BRT? Or are you referring to BART?

Old October 11th, 2012, 07:58 PM   #514
theskythelimit

Likes (Received): 117

The central subway project is expected to receive full funding today/tomorrow from the DOT.

http://www.sfexaminer.com/local/tran...subway-funding

On a side note, Save Muni, filed a lawsuit to stop/delay the project. They are focusing on the Union Square station and their argument is the station does not fall within the description that it be public entertainment. expect more lawsuits to follow.

The worst case scenario is a judge puts a stop order on the project.
theskythelimit no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2012, 08:34 PM   #515
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by theskythelimit
The central subway project is expected to receive full funding today/tomorrow from the DOT.

http://www.sfexaminer.com/local/tran...subway-funding

On a side note, Save Muni, filed a lawsuit to stop/delay the project. They are focusing on the Union Square station and their argument is the station does not fall within the description that it be public entertainment. expect more lawsuits to follow.

The worst case scenario is a judge puts a stop order on the project.
I hope the funding will be released without any problems. I may be for Save MUNI too, but I think that the Union Square station can always be reconsidered to begin with.

Old October 13th, 2012, 10:33 PM   #516
trainrover

What's this business about the central subway there and its opponents, I don't recall reading anything about the matter here?
Old October 13th, 2012, 10:37 PM   #517
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by trainrover
What's this business about the central subway there and its opponents, I don't recall reading anything about the matter here?
Well, the issue is this: the Federal Transportation Authority recently gave the San Francisco Municipal Transportation Authority a $942,000,000 grant to continue construction of the Central Subway that will connect South of Market and Mission Hill with Union Square and Chinatown via Fourth Street and Stockton Street. However, a protest letter from Save Muni claims that "the Central Subway project will not help -- and instead harm -- shops near Union Square and Chinatown, and that the projected ridership may seem to be 'dubious'". It seems like they are against the will of the low-income riders, especially Chinese commuters from Chinatown, who frequently use transit to get around the City, and they are initiating a ballot measure that would advocate for the lawsuit that could potentially stop construction of the subway.

Old October 14th, 2012, 12:10 AM   #518
BJC450Chicago

Likes (Received): 1

As a former San Francisco resident, I oppose the Central Subway because it will not address the major transit need of the city. The Geary corridor is woefully overcrowded and served by only buses. For the money, a Geary solution would make more sense than the Central Subway. The northern half of the City is poorly served by rapid transit and the Central Subway won't do much to solve that.
BJC450Chicago no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2012, 01:08 AM   #519
trainrover

Frisco city proper is itself so tiny compared to its urban neighbours, so surely the system would eventually be linking up most of its municipality, no? Is the term 'central subway' cursed to be some euphimism, is the plan to have the subway amount to just a single route?

Last edited by trainrover; October 14th, 2012 at 02:53 AM.
Old October 14th, 2012, 02:20 AM   #520
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BJC450Chicago
As a former San Francisco resident, I oppose the Central Subway because it will not address the major transit need of the city. The Geary corridor is woefully overcrowded and served by only buses. For the money, a Geary solution would make more sense than the Central Subway. The northern half of the City is poorly served by rapid transit and the Central Subway won't do much to solve that.
It is only step one of a multi-step process:

- Geary will get a Bus Rapid Transit line to complement the existing bus lines operating along the corridor, with a potential upgrade to become a Muni Metro line. Also the case for Van Ness Avenue between Lombard and Market.

- Certain buses will be replaced with new buses, hopefully to replace the woefully "old and tired-looking" NABI buses that tend to break down more easily now than before.

In fact, San Francisco County Transportation Authority has recently released this ad that allows you to decide how to spend about $64,000,000,000 worth of grants, awards, and loans for San Francisco transportation development, as part of the City's 2040 vision. Check out the ad below:

In fact, I might integrate this ad with one of my poll threads so that you can take a look and actually discuss what you can do to help spend the money wisely.

Tags
bart, muni, sacramento, san francisco, smart