daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 25th, 2006, 10:55 PM   #41
mr_storms

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by samsonyuen
Nice thread. I've wondered what the light rail in SJ looked like. Why was it so empty? It looks a bit dated (the trains), but quite clean.
most likely because it was taken near mountain view Actually, ridership is up a lot thanks to gas prices (as well as weather recently)

It's as if the dot-com bubble never burst: Santa Clara Valley Transportation Authority ridership is back and booming.

More people rode light rail and buses in June than a year ago, bringing the first bit of good news in a long time for the VTA, which has suffered debt and cutbacks after the dramatic decline in riders since 2001. Average weekday system ridership is the highest it's been since June 2002, and has grown each month since September.

More jobs, gas prices topping $3 and new VTA services have fueled the increase, said VTA spokeswoman Jayme Kunz.

The trend is apparent elsewhere. BART, Caltrain and the Altamont Commuter Express are all reporting significant ridership increases since last year, officials said.

Collette McNeil, 35, of Los Gatos hasn't purchased a tank of gas since February, when it became too expensive to keep her car running. She now relies on public transportation and walking.

``Now I have no more road rage and I've lost 10 pounds,'' McNeil said.

In Silicon Valley, the VTA has been criticized for being among the most costly, most heavily subsidized and least-efficient transit in the nation.

But the surge in light rail ridership would belie that. In June, 836,465 people boarded light rail cars -- about a 44 percent increase from June of last year.

Two light rail extensions to Milpitas and Campbell -- opened in June 2004 and October 2005, respectively -- have helped draw shoppers and commuters to public transit, especially during summer, Kunz said.

The VTA estimates that by 2015, the Campbell line will attract 10,000 riders a day. But those projections include two stops at the end of the line that were not built because of budget constraints. And by 2015, the Tasman East/Capitol line, which runs to Milpitas and East San Jose, will have 6,530 riders a day.

Special promotions, such as the Summer Blast Pass and the Excursion Pass, also have lured youth and adults to use light rail and buses this summer, Kunz said.

``It gets really crowded at 5 p.m.,'' said Andrew Hospodor, 17, who takes the light rail from Campbell to his software engineering internship in Mountain View. ``With all the people coming back from Great America, it's like a zoo. People are hanging off the bars and jumping all over the place.''

Justin Davis of San Jose, 31, was riding the light rail Wednesday morning and working on his laptop.

``It's nice to sit on the train, work, listen to my iPod, read if I'm tired of working,'' said Davis, a Web developer for Yahoo, who rides his bike to the station, and then to work when he gets off the light rail at the Sunnyvale station. He especially likes that light rail cars, unlike BART, have racks to store his bicycle.

Bus usage is seeing a rise, too. Average weekday boardings increased about 18 percent since a year ago. But bus ridership isn't quite at its height, like light rail. Average weekday ridership was 103,021 last month. In 2001 it peaked at 183,100 riders.

Bus and light rail ridership is measured by automatic passenger counters in doorways, which tally passengers as they board.

The slow recovery of the Silicon Valley job market is also helping, Kunz said. In May, the U.S. Department of Labor reported the unemployment rate in the South Bay had fallen to 4.4 percent -- the lowest since 2001. At the same time, Santa Clara and San Benito counties added 5,900 jobs since a year ago, according to the California Employment Development Department.

More jobs mean more cars on the road, which means more people are looking to public transportation for traffic relief, said Laura Stuchinsky, director of transportation and land use for the Silicon Valley Leadership Group.

``You talk to employers and there's more confidence in the economy and more hiring going on,'' she said. ``That's all great to see.''

Plus it's environmentally friendly.

``I'm doing something for the environment,'' said Cheryl Elliott, 44, a San Jose hairstylist who was riding the light rail to work last week. ``I'm not using my gas. Even though it's not much cheaper, it makes be feel better.''

Sponsored Links
Old August 11th, 2006, 11:20 PM   #42
allen.zimmermann

Likes (Received): 0

SF Skoda trolley buses

Dayton Ohio is argueably the smallest city in the western hemisphere to use trolley buses. (maybe some of the locations in argentina or chile are smaller). Dayton operates the same kind of Skoda trolley pictured on this thread in SF. Dayton had problems with theirs--the frames had to be reinforced because they were showing hairline cracks. The problems were resolved before the SF order was delivered. I'd post a few pictures of Dayton but for some reason the system won't let me attach files.
allen.zimmermann no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2006, 01:01 AM   #43
Electric_City
Wired

Likes (Received): 496

Quote:
Originally Posted by allen.zimmermann
Dayton Ohio is argueably the smallest city in the western hemisphere to use trolley buses. (maybe some of the locations in argentina or chile are smaller). Dayton operates the same kind of Skoda trolley pictured on this thread in SF. Dayton had problems with theirs--the frames had to be reinforced because they were showing hairline cracks. The problems were resolved before the SF order was delivered. I'd post a few pictures of Dayton but for some reason the system won't let me attach files.
Hello, Allen. I can't make attachments either, so what I usually do is, in the 'Advanced' editing page, click on the picture icon (2 little mountains with a yellow background) and enter the url for the image that I want to include on the page. Of course this means that the picture will have to be located somewhere on the web.

I'd like to see your pictures, if you can put them up for us. Thanks in advance.

Leeds Tbus campaign: http://www.tbusleeds.org.uk

Leeds Tbus thread: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=374570

Last edited by Electric_City; August 12th, 2006 at 01:15 AM.
Electric_City no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2006, 04:20 AM   #44
allen.zimmermann

dayton ohio has trolleybuses

i sent the pictures in jpeg format to: [email protected] <[email protected]>, but i'm not sure you got them because my email server noted a problem with the transmission
Old August 12th, 2006, 11:04 AM   #45
kub86
Twinkie

Likes (Received): 10

You guys are making the picture thing too complicated.

Upload your pictures onto photobucket.com. And then under the pix that you uploaded, you'll see 3 codes with "URL", "Tag", and "IMG" next to them. Copy whatever is in IMG and paste it into your posting here. Hope that works.
kub86 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2006, 02:03 PM   #46
Hybrid 87
a.k.a. The King Arthur

Likes (Received): 525

The thing that I like is how the Škoda trolleys differ to the european type

look here

Škoda 14Tr in Sanfrancisco

Škoda 14Tr in Riga

Škoda 15Tr in Sanfrancisco

Škoda 15Tr in Riga
Old August 12th, 2006, 02:09 PM   #47
TeKnO_Lx

Likes (Received): 282

i love them.. can they work without cables in case of emergency?
Old August 12th, 2006, 04:11 PM   #48
Hybrid 87
a.k.a. The King Arthur

Likes (Received): 525

I think that running without cables is possible for any normal trolleybus ... but how long is depending on the model
Old August 12th, 2006, 05:15 PM   #49
♣628.finst
Optimum

Likes (Received): 5

Awesome... I love those Flyer trolleybuses from San Francisco! Proudly Canadian made.

Skoda? European don't make good trolleybuses... they always make dull design.
Old August 12th, 2006, 06:17 PM   #50
allen.zimmermann

Quote:
Originally Posted by kub86
You guys are making the picture thing too complicated.

Upload your pictures onto photobucket.com. And then under the pix that you uploaded, you'll see 3 codes with "URL", "Tag", and "IMG" next to them. Copy whatever is in IMG and paste it into your posting here. Hope that works.

like this?
Old March 7th, 2007, 11:05 AM   #51
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 18129

San Francisco Mulls Free Buses & Streetcars

San Francisco mayor mulls making bus, streetcar rides free
6 March 2007

SAN FRANCISCO (AP) - San Francisco Mayor Gavin Newsom is considering whether it would be more cost-effective to provide free bus and streetcar service in the city instead of collecting fares.

The mayor said he has asked the Municipal Transportation Agency to do the math, comparing the cost of maintaining fare boxes, counting money and paying people to catch fare beaters to the $138 million in fares the city expects to take in next year.

"When you add everything up, this idea certainly deserves consideration," Newsom told the San Francisco Chronicle.

One factor arguing against a free system is the extra riders who might be motivated to take public transit, which would create a need for more buses, street cars and drivers, he said.

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2007, 11:20 AM   #52
gladisimo
If I could be anyone...

Likes (Received): 39

only in SF ...

RIP Dopey - 9/2005 - 20/2/2008
gladisimo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2007, 06:57 PM   #53
Falubaz

Likes (Received): 2940

can u put the link to this massage (i mean the source)

₪₪₪Zielona Góra moim okiem₪₪₪ Zielonogórskie autobusy₪₪₪Port Lotniczy ZIElona Góra₪₪₪ BRT₪₪₪ścieżki rowerowe w ZG
₪₪₪[Świat] „Przebłyski pamięci”₪₪₪Moja Ameryka - nie tylko Stany
Falubaz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2007, 01:07 AM   #54
UD2
A very cool person

Likes (Received): 31

never gonna happen in Toronto, 80 percent of or transit funding come from the that box
"Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired, signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed" - President Eisenhower
UD2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2007, 06:36 AM   #55
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 18129

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falubaz View Post
can u put the link to this massage (i mean the source)
AP = Associated Press (from the newswires, not an internet website)

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2007, 08:15 AM   #56
milwaukee-københavn

Don't they cover most of their expenses through fares?
milwaukee-københavn no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2007, 09:35 AM   #57
dewback

Likes (Received): 1

As far as I know they cover most of their expenses through subsidies, the fares only cover 22% of the budget.

I have read some commentaries on people arguing against or in favor of the possible policy, but something is obvious: it already feels like its free judging by all the people who cheat all the time.
Old March 8th, 2007, 10:02 AM   #58
alex3000
I'm not Chinese

Likes (Received): 57

It actually makes sense, if you think about it.

We just need "them" to, as the major said, do the math.
Old March 9th, 2007, 07:17 AM   #59
milwaukee-københavn

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewback View Post
As far as I know they cover most of their expenses through subsidies, the fares only cover 22% of the budget.

I have read some commentaries on people arguing against or in favor of the possible policy, but something is obvious: it already feels like its free judging by all the people who cheat all the time.
Wow. San Francisco has very high ridership, so I just assumed that the farebox would play a bigger role. Here in Milwaukee, fares cover almost 35% of funding, almost as much as state aid.
milwaukee-københavn no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2007, 04:33 AM   #60
spongeg

Likes (Received): 1730

interesting idea
spongeg no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
bart, muni, sacramento, san francisco, smart