daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 30th, 2013, 06:51 PM   #641
Woonsocket54
PC LOAD LETTER

Likes (Received): 5730

Quote:
Originally Posted by rawocd View Post
BART is glorified commuter rail though - it only has 8 Stations along one corridor in San Francisco City & County limits. While BART has solid coverage across downtown SF and the mission street corridor, it isn't all that useful for moving within SF. Had BART expanded in more of a WMATA style through the city proper, or completely replaced the N, L, K, M and J like originally intended in the 1950s, we would likely see much higher ridership.
If Marin County did not withdraw from BART, then the hypothetical BART corridor to Marin would have served more of the north side of San Francisco.

Ridership has gone up in recent days due to the closure of the Bay Bridge in the transition to post-Labor Day opening of the new eastern span.

San Francisco Appeal
http://sfappeal.com/2013/08/bart-rid...ridge-closure/

Quote:
BART Ridership Jumps In Wake Of Bay Bridge Closure
by Bay City News | August 29, 2013 9:48 am

12:05 PM: Many commuters who normally rely on the Bay Bridge to get to work are turning to BART and other public transit options this morning.

BART broke ridership records because of the Bay Bridge closure, which began Wednesday night, a BART spokeswoman said this morning.

BART saw more than 16,000 additional trips made on Wednesday compared to the same day a week ago, BART spokeswoman Alicia Trost said.

That amounted to 427,554 total trips, making Wednesday BART’s 10th-highest ridership day ever, she said.

Between 4 a.m. and 10 a.m. today, BART counted 30,682 more trips compared to the same date in 2012, according to Trost. And from midnight to 4 a.m., when BART is usually closed, some 6,850 trips were made on the system, she said.

BART officials said they expect to see similarly high numbers of riders during peak evening commute hours from 5 p.m. to 6 p.m.

“We’re seeing a lot of new people on BART this morning and seeing lines back up at the ticket machines,” BART spokesman Jim Allison said.

He encouraged regular BART users to keep their Clipper cards charged to avoid having to wait in those lines.
Both BART and the California Highway Patrol are urging commuters to be patient during the bridge closure, which is expected to last until 5 a.m. Tuesday.

BART is providing 24-hour service at 14 stations during the closure.

Representatives from other transit agencies said they have only seen slight increases in ridership.

Alameda-Contra Costa Transit spokesman Clarence Johnson said, “We’ve had maybe a few more riders than normal but it hasn’t been an explosion.”

AC Transit buses that normally take riders across the Bay Bridge are instead being routed to the West Oakland, MacArthur, Oakland Coliseum and North Berkeley BART stations.

Meanwhile, San Francisco Bay Ferry service operators didn’t see a noticeable increase in the number of riders this morning, apart from one particularly crowded boat that left Vallejo early this morning, ferry spokesman Ernest Sanchez said.

9:48 AM: BART ridership has risen noticeably because of the Bay Bridge closure Wednesday night to allow crews to transition traffic onto the bridge’s new eastern span, a BART spokesman said this morning.

BART saw 16,000 more trips made on Wednesday compared to the same day a week ago. Between midnight and 6 a.m. today, there was a jump of nearly 8,000 trips, spokesman Jim Allison said.

He said even higher numbers are expected during peak commute hours today, from 8 a.m. to 9:30 a.m. and between 5 p.m. and 6 p.m.

“We’re seeing a lot of new people on BART this morning and seeing lines back up at the ticket machines,” Allison said.

He encouraged regular BART users to keep their Clipper cards charged to avoid having to wait in those lines.

Both BART and the California Highway Patrol are urging commuters to be patient during the bridge closure, which is expected to last until 5 a.m. Tuesday.

BART is providing 24-hour service at 14 stations during the closure.

Laura Dixon, Bay City News

Busfotodotnl, fieldsofdreams liked this post
Woonsocket54 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 7th, 2013, 05:05 PM   #642
Busfotodotnl

Likes (Received): 511

Even more on thursday: 475.000.

http://www.ktvu.com/news/news/local/...closure/nZhKf/
Busfotodotnl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2013, 05:07 PM   #643
Busfotodotnl

Likes (Received): 511

I visited your town two weeks ago and was able to shoot the following videos of your nice cable cars and the extraordinary F-line:

fieldsofdreams liked this post
Busfotodotnl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2013, 08:42 PM   #644
HARTride 2012

Likes (Received): 1975

Dannnnnnngg! AC Transit has the European buses! I never knew that!
HARTride 2012 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2013, 10:00 AM   #645
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Likes (Received): 11243

Quote:
Originally Posted by HARTride 2012 View Post
Dannnnnnngg! AC Transit has the European buses! I never knew that!
Yes, we do have those Van Hool buses. In fact, I can share a small showcase with you as a preview to my already growing collection here. All these images are from my Flickr collection.

image hosted on flickr

DSC05123 by anthonynachor, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

DSC06705 by anthonynachor, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

DSC07000 by anthonynachor, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

DSC07151 by anthonynachor, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

DSC07239 by anthonynachor, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

DSC07242 by anthonynachor, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

DSC07243 by anthonynachor, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

DSC04725 by anthonynachor, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

DSC04743 by anthonynachor, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

DSC07001 by anthonynachor, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

DSC07067 by anthonynachor, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

DSC07072 by anthonynachor, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

DSC07090 by anthonynachor, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

DSC08520 by anthonynachor, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

DSC08599 by anthonynachor, on Flickr
If you're interested to see more of those photos (plus so much more transit images... and I truly mean it), visit my flagship transit showcase, Bay Area Transit in Pictures. You'll get to see much more than just the AC Transit Van Hool buses and those shown on Busfotodotnl's splendid videos.

San Carlos • San Bruno • San Mateo • Saint Helena • Ross

kyah117, pudgym29, geometarkv liked this post
fieldsofdreams no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2013, 10:42 AM   #646
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busfotodotnl View Post
I visited your town two weeks ago and was able to shoot the following videos of your nice cable cars and the extraordinary F-line:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WX7NksBHrCw">YouTube Link</a>

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qwq9H1kgMoE">YouTube Link</a>
Those videos look very splendid indeed. And those are part of my reasons why I use transit much more here as a local than driving: it's in the diversity, abundance of route choices, and reasonable frequencies (especially on bus lines and BART that I use often). What was your most enjoyable transit experience among all those, and why?

Old October 3rd, 2013, 08:39 PM   #647
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Likes (Received): 53462

Ambitious Expansion Plans Mulled for BART's Future

Quote:
BART is considering over 100 different investment options that could nearly double the system's capacity over the next few decades. As summarized by the folks over at SPUR, the "Bart Metro" concept would increase capacity in the current system by adding stations at 30th Street and Market & Van Ness, as well as a turnback at Glen Park. Far more ambitious portions of the vision include a line down Geary out to Ocean Beach and a spur down 19th Avenue that would connect to Daly City Bart. More familiar proposals in plan include a second Transbay tube that would relieve capacity constraints on the current tunnel. The proposals on the map seem almost too good to be true, and will certainly require unprecedented funding commitments from all levels of government.

phoenixboi08, suburbicide, pudgym29 liked this post
desertpunk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2013, 06:45 PM   #648
Pierre50

Likes (Received): 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldsofdreams View Post
Yes, we do have those Van Hool buses. In fact, I can share a small showcase with you as a preview to my already growing collection here. All these images are from my Flickr collection.
If you're interested to see more of those photos (plus so much more transit images... and I truly mean it), visit my flagship transit showcase, Bay Area Transit in Pictures. You'll get to see much more than just the AC Transit Van Hool buses and those shown on Busfotodotnl's splendid videos.
Great thanks for these pictures. I'm lucky because I'll be visiting your region next year and I will then see all those vehicles with my eyes.
I knew AC TRANSIT is a significant customer for Van Hool in North America.

Can you please confirm exact types of buses as per list of your pictures:
- buses 5018 5101 5109 : this type is unknown in Europe. It looks like 10 m long intermediate size between New A 309 and New A 320 / A 330. Exact type in USA ??
- buses 2003 2160 2199 : it appears to be type "New AG 300" or "New AG 360". Exact type ??
- Buses FC4 FC9 : Exact type should be "New A 330 L FC" with fuel cell propulsion. Can you also mention for these vehicules, on which lines they are running ?
- buses 1013 1018 1087 1089 1208 1214 : it appears to be type "New A 330" very well known in many networks in Europe

In addition to type denomination, can you mention in which factory these buses are assembled to respect the "Buy American Act".
Pierre50 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2013, 07:45 AM   #649
techniques1200s

Likes (Received): 504

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertpunk View Post
This would be great. BART would finally function as a real metro within San Francisco, Oakland, and Berkeley (and El Cerrito), which is what BART considers the "urban core" of the system. A second transbay tube might mean 24 hour service too. Combine all that with the planned San Jose extension and I could see ridership doubling, at least. Sounds good! It would remain the metro/commuter rail hybrid that it already is, but would have a much stronger emphasis on the "metro" part. Too bad it's all conceptual at this point, and if all those extensions even do get built, they probably won't be finished for decades, once you factor in all the time for studies, approvals, acquiring funding, construction, delays, etc.

I know the way things are done in say, China, has downsides...but sometime I wish we could build like them, without insane costs and years of politics getting in the way of every large project.

Last edited by techniques1200s; November 22nd, 2013 at 07:53 AM.
techniques1200s no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2013, 08:55 AM   #650
bayviews

Likes (Received): 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by techniques1200s View Post
This would be great. BART would finally function as a real metro within San Francisco, Oakland, and Berkeley (and El Cerrito), which is what BART considers the "urban core" of the system. A second transbay tube might mean 24 hour service too. Combine all that with the planned San Jose extension and I could see ridership doubling, at least. Sounds good! It would remain the metro/commuter rail hybrid that it already is, but would have a much stronger emphasis on the "metro" part. Too bad it's all conceptual at this point, and if all those extensions even do get built, they probably won't be finished for decades, once you factor in all the time for studies, approvals, acquiring funding, construction, delays, etc.

I know the way things are done in say, China, has downsides...but sometime I wish we could build like them, without insane costs and years of politics getting in the way of every large project.

One thing that China DOESN'T seem to have much in the way of are public sector STRIKES. Can't say that about BART! Makes quite a differeance!
bayviews no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2013, 02:34 PM   #651
phoenixboi08

Likes (Received): 798

Quote:
Originally Posted by techniques1200s View Post
...with the national and municipal governments taking the appropriate stake in financing the projects.

fieldsofdreams, bozenBDJ liked this post

Last edited by phoenixboi08; November 22nd, 2013 at 08:52 PM.
phoenixboi08 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2013, 05:56 PM   #652
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre50 View Post
Great thanks for these pictures. I'm lucky because I'll be visiting your region next year and I will then see all those vehicles with my eyes.
I knew AC TRANSIT is a significant customer for Van Hool in North America.

Can you please confirm exact types of buses as per list of your pictures:
- buses 5018 5101 5109 : this type is unknown in Europe. It looks like 10 m long intermediate size between New A 309 and New A 320 / A 330. Exact type in USA ??
- buses 2003 2160 2199 : it appears to be type "New AG 300" or "New AG 360". Exact type ??
- Buses FC4 FC9 : Exact type should be "New A 330 L FC" with fuel cell propulsion. Can you also mention for these vehicules, on which lines they are running ?
- buses 1013 1018 1087 1089 1208 1214 : it appears to be type "New A 330" very well known in many networks in Europe

In addition to type denomination, can you mention in which factory these buses are assembled to respect the "Buy American Act".
All right, let me tell you:

• 5018 is a 2006 A300K 30-footer bus (closest equivalent in Europe: A309)
• 5101 and 5109 are 2008 A300K 30-footer buses (with a different power train than 5018)
— Note: select A300K buses are wrapped as the Broadway Shuttle (The B), with no fare boxes. It is a free service funded by the City of Oakland and Downtown Oakland Association, along with grants from the Metropolitan Transportation Commission, Bay Area Air Quality Management District, and other partners. More information
• 2003 is a 2003 AG300 60-foot articulated bus (4-door)
• 2160 is a 2007 AG300 60-foot articulated bus (4-door) primarily used on the 1R-International Rapid bus line
• 2199 is a 2010 AG300 60-foot articulated bus (3-door) primarily used on the 1R-International Rapid bus line
• FC4 and FC9 are both A300L FC 40-footer standard buses (2-door). These buses run on hydrogen, with water as the main component, in which it emits no soot or pollutants at all; rather, these buses emit carbon dioxide as the hydrogen breaks down from the water molecule through special mechanisms inside the engine. Note that these buses can also be found running with Golden Gate Transit as part of the Bay Area demonstration of such zero-emissions technology for public transit vehicles. More information
• 1013, 1018, 1087, and 1089 are 2003 A330 40-footer standard buses (3-door). Note that some buses, numbered in the low-1000s, have "Rapid" livery wrapped around them since those are used on the 72R-San Pablo Rapid bus line, the very first BRT line in the San Francisco Bay Area, launched in 2003.
— Note: Lines 1R and 72R operate as the Rapid versions of Lines 1 and 72/72M, respectively, with various features including Traffic Signal Priority, enhanced bus stops, Next Bus arrival prediction (also on your smartphone), low-floor buses, and stops spaced around 2/3 miles apart (around 1km). More information
• 1208 and 1214 are 2008 A300L 40-footer standard buses (2-door).

Note that many of those buses can also be seen operating Transbay routes between the East Bay and San Francisco during the weekday peak periods (between 6 and 9:30am morning peak, and between 3:30 and 8pm evening peak).

Old November 24th, 2013, 06:19 PM   #653
Pierre50

Likes (Received): 30

Great thanks for these very detailed and accurate explanations on AC TRANSIT fleets.
This will also help me to track them during my stay in the Bay Area next spring.

Can you just complete your answer with the exact location of assembly for these vehicles. Europe (most likely not) or USA ?

fieldsofdreams liked this post
Pierre50 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2013, 07:43 PM   #654
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre50 View Post
Great thanks for these very detailed and accurate explanations on AC TRANSIT fleets.
This will also help me to track them during my stay in the Bay Area next spring.

Can you just complete your answer with the exact location of assembly for these vehicles. Europe (most likely not) or USA ?
Those were actually built in Belgium, with modifications made for the North American market and distributed by only one company, ABC Companies. It also takes care of parts and service as well.

Old November 26th, 2013, 11:28 PM   #655
Fan Railer

Likes (Received): 566

New info out on new BART cars from Bombardier:
Quote:
On November 21, 2013, BART purchased 365 more cars, for a total fleet size of 775 new railcars, while also accelerating the delivery schedule by 21 months (from 10 cars per month up to 16 cars per month) and lowering procurement costs by approximately $135 million. According to the contract, at least two-thirds of the contract’s amount must be spent on American parts.

There will be two different types of car configurations for the new fleet: a cab car (D-cars), and a non-cab car (E-car). All cars are to be equipped with bike racks, new vinyl seats (57 per car), and a brand new passenger information system which will display next stop information.
Information from these sources:
http://www.bart.gov/news/articles/2013/news20131121-2
http://www.bart.gov/about/projects/cars
http://www.bart.gov/sites/default/fi...20Packet_2.pdf (pages 91-94 of PDF file)

Old November 27th, 2013, 09:48 AM   #656
dimlys1994

Likes (Received): 26107

Today on Global Rail News:

Quote:
http://www.globalrailnews.com/2013/1...-tbm-launched/

Second Central Subway TBM launched

26 NOV, 2013

A second 750-tonne tunnel boring machine (TBM) has begun work on San Francisco’s Central Subway metro extension.

The city’s transit agency (SFMTA) has now launched ‘Big Alma’, who joins her sister Mom Chung in the construction of a $1.6 billion extension of the Muni Metro’s T Third Street line.

The TBM, which is named after 19th century socialite and philanthropist ‘Big Alma’ de Bretteville Spreckels, will now set about work on a 1.5-mile long tunnel beneath the city.

Announcing the launch of Big Alma, Mayor Edwin M. Lee said: “Today we are another big step closer to building the 21st century transportation system our world-class city needs and deserves.

“The Central Subway and the tunnels we are excavating today are essential to our vision, and crucial to building and maintaining a reliable, modern public transportation system for San Francisco residents and visitors.”

fieldsofdreams, geometarkv liked this post
dimlys1994 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2013, 04:59 PM   #657
dimlys1994

Uploaded today:

Old December 4th, 2013, 06:32 PM   #658
dimlys1994

Timelapse of Central Subway's TBM move:

Old December 11th, 2013, 09:28 PM   #659
Cal_Escapee
In Search of Sanity

Likes (Received): 10283

May be the same video as above which is now unavailable.

A refresher on the project:

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=...ed=0CDgQ9QEwAQ

"Mom Chung" is the name given to one of the tunnel boring machines boring the Central Subway tunnel.

I am actually amazed at the progress being made on a project not due to open until 2017:

Quote:
We completed an important construction milestone last week as our tunneling contractor and TBM Mom Chung successfully and safely tunneled under Market Street and the existing BART and Muni tunnels. The TBM is now under Stockton Street in Union Square.

During the next 10 days, Central Subway work will continue at sites in SoMa, Union Square, Chinatown and North Beach. This post contains brief updates about what is happening in each neighborhood . . . .

Southern SoMa (Harrison to King/Berry): We expect to begin potholing for utilities on 4th Street between Bryant and King the week of Dec. 16. At the tunnel launch box on 4th Street between Harrison and Bryant, tunneling continues with both TBMs.

Northern SoMa (Market to Harrison): We have reestablished our work zone on 4th Street between Folsom and Harrison, in front of Pacific Bicycle. Work here involves improving ground conditions as the second TBM, Big Alma, passes underground. Work is currently paused at 4th and Stevenson, to resume when Big Alma reaches that area. At 4th and Folsom, we are building a covered walkway adjacent to the construction site on 4th Street and Clementina.

Union Square: Construction is now paused on Stockton Street, resuming in January. Work will continue on Ellis Street during December to allow for ground improvements related to tunneling.

Chinatown: Last week our crews closed a portion of Washington Street just west of Stockton Street to allow for utility work and the construction of underground Chinatown Station walls. Tentative: On Clay and Jackson streets adjacent to Stockton Street, the contractor may be performing underground borings some nights next week.

North Beach: Construction is now paused on Columbus Avenue, resuming in January. Work will continue on private property at 1455 Stockton and 1731-1741 Powell to ensure we are ready for the arrival of the first TBM in the spring. One morning next week, heavy equipment will be delivered to the construction site at the 1455 Stockton parking lot early in the morning, before regular working hours.
http://www.centralsubwayblog.com/blo...december-7-16/

If I understand correctly, what is happening is they are using the 2 tunnel boring machines, one with a larger diameter ("Big Alma") than the other ("Mom Chung"). Mom Chung bores its hole--apparently due to be completed all the way to Chinatown in the Spring--then Big Alma follows, enlarging the diameter of the tunnel. Both machines are at work with Mom Chung now near Union Square and Big Alma still south of Market (not sure how they get the products of Mom Chung's boring out of the hole past Big Alma).

At this rate, the tunnel could be bored by early 2015, just over a year from now, with the work of lining it and fitting it out with track, electrical wires and so on plus completing the stations left to go.
Old December 11th, 2013, 10:06 PM   #660
quashlo

Likes (Received): 3215

No, the subway is twin bored tunnels... Each TBM gets one of the tunnels:
http://www.centralsubwayblog.com/blo...subway-tunnel/
quashlo no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
bart, muni, sacramento, san francisco, smart