daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 11th, 2013, 10:18 PM   #661
dimlys1994

Likes (Received): 26130

How such TBM-bored tunnels will stand against earthquake? Anybody have tunnel profile?
dimlys1994 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 11th, 2013, 11:17 PM   #662
Cal_Escapee
In Search of Sanity

Likes (Received): 10283

Quote:
Originally Posted by quashlo View Post
No, the subway is twin bored tunnels... Each TBM gets one of the tunnels:
http://www.centralsubwayblog.com/blo...subway-tunnel/
Oh, OK. Makes more sense in terms of their being able to operate both at once (and also in terms of needing a tunnel for each direction).

Still, I'm impressed that one of the tunnels is all the way to Union Square and the other seems about halfway there. If "Mom Chung" gets to Chinatown by spring, by then "Big Alma should be to Union Square and, again, they could have fully bored both tunnels by maybe a year from now or a little more.
Old December 11th, 2013, 11:23 PM   #663
Cal_Escapee
In Search of Sanity

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimlys1994 View Post
How such TBM-bored tunnels will stand against earthquake? Anybody have tunnel profile?
They will be concrete lined so no worries. When there have been relatively large earthquakes as in 1989 the various transit tunnels--including the BART transBay tunnel--have never had any damage and, in fact, have done far better than above ground structures like elevated freeways and rail structures.

dimlys1994 liked this post
Cal_Escapee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2013, 09:44 AM   #664
dimlys1994

Bad news from San Francisco:

Quote:
http://www.globalrailnews.com/2013/1...fleet-renewal/

San Francisco to raise subway fares to pay for fleet renewal
12 DEC, 2013

San Francisco’s transport authority, BART, is to raise subway fares in order to fund its ‘Fleet of the Future‘ rolling stock programme.

From January 1, the cost of a ticket will increase on average by 19 cents to pay for a portion of BART’s $800 million contribution to a major renewal of the city’s subway system, including new trains, a new train control system and improvements to existing maintenance facilities.

BART has said the 5.2 per cent increase, which is based on 2010-12 inflation figures, will be followed by further ‘below inflation’ fare increases in 2016, 2018 and 2020, generating $325 million.

BART spokesman Alicia Trost said in a statement: “BART is required to come up with a portion of funding for many of our capital projects in order to qualify to receive extra money from other sources.

“BART must pay $800 million toward the cost of new rail cars – this fare increase will help us achieve that goal.

“We understand no one wants to pay higher fares but riders should know this money can only be spent on these identified projects which will benefit passengers.”
...or not?
Old December 19th, 2013, 04:42 PM   #665
theskythelimit

Likes (Received): 117

The Geray Street BRT got a mention in the SF Examiner today.

http://www.sfexaminer.com/sanfrancis...nt?oid=2653499
theskythelimit no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2013, 01:43 PM   #666
dimlys1994

Central Subway update:

lkstrknb, geometarkv liked this post
Old January 21st, 2014, 10:09 PM   #667
dimlys1994

From BART about progress of Oakland Airport Connector:

geometarkv liked this post
Old January 22nd, 2014, 06:22 AM   #668
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21240

What are chances of a Caltrain-BART merge? I never understood the purpose of having Caltrain as a separate entity from BART.
Old January 22nd, 2014, 09:13 AM   #669
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Likes (Received): 11250

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
What are chances of a Caltrain-BART merge? I never understood the purpose of having Caltrain as a separate entity from BART.
Just my take on this one since I know Bay Area transit all too well: a Caltrain-BART merger can prove to be problematic, especially the two networks are run with completely different networks for completely different purposes. BART runs with a wider, Indian gauge than Caltrain (at standard gauge) that makes train interoperability very difficult, if not impossible; the former acts as a hybrid subway service in the denser urban areas of San Francisco, Oakland, and Berkeley and a commuter rail service beyond those cities, while the latter runs as a commuter service on mostly one set of tracks between San Francisco and San Jose (with plans to connect Palo Alto with Union City via the Dumbarton Bridge). Not to mention, even though BART will eventually run down to Santa Clara County via Fremont, it will still require the special wide gauge tracks to operate trains normally through the South Bay, and that Caltrain will remain as an entity of a different agency, the San Mateo County Transportation Authority, which also runs SamTrans, the bus company operating in San Mateo County. The two different train agencies, although governed by the Metropolitan Transportation Commission (MTC), serve entirely different markets and purposes that an integration plan could bring up issues on funding, fleet management, and overall track maintenance.

And by the way, BART's schedules run much tighter than Caltrain, in which it operates trains at least every 15 minutes on weekdays on all lines (every 20 minutes week nights and weekends), while Caltrain operates trains less frequently (up to hourly in many cases), hence, if a consolidation of BART and Caltrain is considered, the agencies (with the help of the MTC) should consider the levels of service and fares the combined agencies will need to deliver optimal service to its passengers.

Rohnert Park • Rio Vista • Richmond • Redwood City • Portola Valley • Pleasanton • Pleasant Hill
fieldsofdreams está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2014, 06:15 PM   #670
CNB30
centralnatbankbuildingrva

Likes (Received): 805

Will there ever be plans to expand muni metro service to the areas around Alamo square, and northwest of there (will this new line go near that direction)? It seems this area has quite a lack of transit to me.

A developed country is not a place where the poor have cars. It’s where the rich use public transportation

Feel The Bern #2016
CNB30 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2014, 08:51 PM   #671
phoenixboi08

Likes (Received): 798

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fan Railer View Post
New info out on new BART cars from Bombardier:
I rode BART for the first time this past weekend, and it was the first time I got lost on a transit system.

Needless to say, the information systems in the new cars will be an improvement.

Old January 22nd, 2014, 08:59 PM   #672
Cal_Escapee
In Search of Sanity

Re BART/CalTrain: For the moment, BART is fully electric and CalTrain is diesel along with the different Fieldsofdreams mentioned. BART has no ability or expertise running diesel trains. If/when CalTrain is fully electrified . . . maybe.

As for transit service around Alamo Square, like much of San Francisco this area is pretty well-served by Muni busses:

https://www.google.com/search?q=muni...%3B3626%3B3064

4 routes pass within a block of the square In any case, there are no plans for rail service to that area and it would be very difficult to do given the hills and narrow streets.
Old January 22nd, 2014, 09:25 PM   #673
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenixboi08 View Post
I rode BART for the first time this past weekend, and it was the first time I got lost on a transit system.

Needless to say, the information systems in the new cars will be an improvement.

You can send me a PM or leave a note here so that I can help you out navigate through the complex world of Bay Area transit... Just little hints for you:

• Four different lines run concurrently between West Oakland and Daly City BART, in which when combined, you'll have train service effectively between 2 to 6 minutes within that corridor on weekdays (even shorter frequencies exist during AM and PM peaks in the commute direction). On weeknights, Saturdays after 5pm, and all-day Sundays and holidays, the same corridor sees trains running roughly every 10 minutes (with timed connections at Balboa Park for travelers switching between the Dublin/Pleasanton-Daly City and Pittsburg/Bay Point-Millbrae via SFO Airport trains) since only two lines operate that time. And note: all East Bay-bound trains from either Daly City, SFO Airport, or Millbrae (and most trains vice versa) will bear "San Francisco" as one of its destinations; all such trains will stop at stations shown on maps.

• If you happen to travel between the East Bay and SFO/Millbrae (also for Colma, South SF, and San Bruno), you don't need to transfer at Balboa Park if you want to go to Dublin/Pleasanton (also for OAK Airport, San Leandro, and Castro Valley) or Fremont (also for stations south of Bay Fair); you can transfer at West Oakland for the former and 12th Street/Downtown Oakland for the latter to get you to where you need to go, although train drivers will tell you that Balboa Park and 19th Street are the "official designated" transfer points for both services, respectively. And, if you want to know the sequence of East Bay-bound trains running through San Francisco, the typical order would be:

Fremont, Richmond, Dublin/Pleasanton, Pittsburg/Bay Point

Sometimes, other destinations will be shown, including Concord and North Concord (during peak periods); during the reverse commute, destinations like 24th Street/Mission and Montgomery (AM peak only) are also available... All those originate from the Pittsburg/Bay Point-SFO Airport line.

If you even want, you can send me a text message to guide you through.

Rohnert Park • Rio Vista • Richmond • Redwood City • Portola Valley • Pleasanton • Pleasant Hill

phoenixboi08 liked this post
Old January 22nd, 2014, 09:41 PM   #674
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNB30 View Post
Will there ever be plans to expand muni metro service to the areas around Alamo square, and northwest of there (will this new line go near that direction)? It seems this area has quite a lack of transit to me.
I don't think so, especially that such a line will run through some steep hills and would be a problem for residents in that area, especially with some streets being narrower than usual for a full Muni Metro service to go through. Three 24/7 bus lines run through that area to say the least, the 5-Fulton (stop at McAllister & Pierce), the 22-Fillmore (stop at Fillmore & Hayes), and the 24-Divisadero (stop at Divisadero & Hayes), with another line, the 21-Hayes (stops within the southern perimeter of the square), running most hours of the day doing local services. There is another line, the 5L-Fulton Limited (operates weekdays 7am to 7pm), that runs close to Alamo Square as well; however, it will require some backtracking and a little further walk to get to the park (stops at McAllister & Fillmore and McAllister & Divisadero). As for northwest of the square, the closest approximation would be the Geary BRT project which will enhance service along Geary Boulevard (on the 38-Geary and its supporting limited and express services), if not making the corridor a Muni Metro line (which can be restored).

Old January 23rd, 2014, 08:22 AM   #675
Woonsocket54
PC LOAD LETTER

Likes (Received): 5756

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimlys1994 View Post
From BART about progress of Oakland Airport Connector:

Here is a photo of this train:

source: http://piedmont.patch.com/groups/pol...ort-connection
Old January 23rd, 2014, 09:10 AM   #676
zaphod
PRESIDENT OF SPACE

Likes (Received): 1674

I think it would have looked better if it was all white, or if the black portion was broken up somehow.

also is this the first modern cable tram in the US, or am I missing something?

After I'm gone, your earth will be free to live out its miserable span of existence, as one of my satellites, and that's how it's going to be...

Bring me the continuum transfunctioner...

zaphod no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2014, 10:02 AM   #677
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Looks a bit different than the AirSFO shuttle trains, but it looks something I'd like to ride on once in a while. The design looks great, though, similar to the current design of the Type A BART train with a triangular nose. And by the way, I think that system would be a bit similar to the current shuttle trains found at other airports, like JFK's AirTrain.

Old January 23rd, 2014, 01:12 PM   #678
JustinB

Likes (Received): 30

The LINK at Pearson Airport is the same model as AirBART. It's a pretty bumpy ride. Hopefully AirBART will be smooth.

The tram between Mandalay Bay and Excalibur and the one at City Centre are the same model.
Old January 23rd, 2014, 06:03 PM   #679
lolstebbo

Likes (Received): 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal_Escapee View Post
Re BART/CalTrain: For the moment, BART is fully electric and CalTrain is diesel along with the different Fieldsofdreams mentioned. BART has no ability or expertise running diesel trains. If/when CalTrain is fully electrified . . . maybe.
eBART (the Contra Costa extension) is going to be using diesel trains.
lolstebbo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2014, 06:10 PM   #680
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinB View Post
The LINK at Pearson Airport is the same model as AirBART. It's a pretty bumpy ride. Hopefully AirBART will be smooth.

The tram between Mandalay Bay and Excalibur and the one at City Centre are the same model.
I've ridden on the Mandalay Bay—Excalibur—City Center (Las Vegas) tram, and I found that to be a smooth ride. Now that could give me an initial impression on what the service would be like since I actually rode on that free tram service... I hope that it will be a smooth ride too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolstebbo View Post
eBART (the Contra Costa extension) is going to be using diesel trains.
That's true... But I think the train cars that will be used on this service will be smaller in scale than Caltrain. I thought, though (in hindsight) that if BART could invest in extending the actual BART service through Santa Clara County, then it could've done so too for Pittsburg—Antioch. That way, no train and gauge changes will be needed to make it happen, and it will be a one-ride service all the way through.

Tags
bart, muni, sacramento, san francisco, smart