daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 3rd, 2014, 05:09 AM   #701
Jim856796

Likes (Received): 847

This idea was suggested in 2007, which was the 50th anniversary of the BART transit agency's creation, probably in 1957 (even though the BART system did open in 1972). Anyway, what do you think of the second Transbay Tube idea?

You support the good projects... and oppose the bad.
Jim856796 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 3rd, 2014, 05:47 AM   #702
Nouvellecosse
~ Mysterious Entity ~

Likes (Received): 313

Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldsofdreams View Post
Did you mean the Indian gauge? Well, at the time when it was developed and constructed in the 1960s and 70s, BART was completely funded on its own without any Federal government help, relying instead on State and local funding to build the network, and that the Indian gauge was used to allow wider train widths to operate along the tracks. At the time when it was completed (1972), it had a futuristic train design that was an envy throughout the United States for its uniqueness, and over 40 years later, that same design can still be seen on its trains (the triangular nose layout of the "A" trains). And by the way, it may be a newer system, but the wider rail gauge has quite a lot of advantages too, including:

• wider walking gaps for passengers who may need to be evacuated when an earthquake strikes
• the wider gap between tracks allow maintenance workers to inspect each section of its rails in detail
• it allows train developers to create lighter train cars (in fact, BART trains are among the lightest metro cars in the world) while not compromising safety and speed performance
• wider train tracks allow greater speed limits, especially through long, nonstop portions (e.g. Transbay Tube, portion between Castro Valley and West Dublin stations, Caldecott Tunnel).
I also read the explanation that in the early days there were plans to extend BART north through SF and across the GG bridge and the wider gauge was intended to keep the trains stable in the high winds they may encounter.

"Nouvellecosse, by Calvin Klein. Take on the world!"

- MysticMcGoo

will101 liked this post
Nouvellecosse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2014, 06:51 AM   #703
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Likes (Received): 11243

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim856796 View Post
This idea was suggested in 2007, which was the 50th anniversary of the BART transit agency's creation, probably in 1957 (even though the BART system did open in 1972). Anyway, what do you think of the second Transbay Tube idea?
I'm definitely up for the second Transbay Tube for multiple reasons:

- to lessen the burden found on the current Transbay Tube, especially when trains run on manual mode or a domino effect of delays happen
- to allow 24-hour service on the busier lines between San Francisco and the East Bay (especially the ones for Pittsburg/Bay Point and the Peninsula)
- to bolster passenger capacity on the network, especially that it has hit over 400,000 riders on a typical weekday (I use BART regularly)
- to enhance travel times for trains that travel to the southern part of the East Bay (particularly to Dublin/Pleasanton and Fremont)

The biggest concerns I have for the new Transbay Tube would be:

- the alignment itself. Remember: the San Francisco Bay Area has multiple active fault lines that could cause structural issues for the tube if the alignment is not carefully studied
- how many new stations will be built along the new Tube. If this tube ends up in Alameda (City), then new stations may have to be built on the island city, in which it could cause noise issues initially during construction, and there could be issues on its alignment beyond the Bay (especially when crossing under water twice)
- the effect of the new tube to the current Transbay Tube in terms of ridership capacity, line routing, and long-term commute development for Alameda County, San Francisco, and San Mateo County. If this new tube will be used for the upcoming Santa Clara County extension, then it will create a competition between BART, Amtrak, and Caltrain on who can get between San Francisco, Oakland, and San Jose the fastest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nouvellecosse View Post
I also read the explanation that in the early days there were plans to extend BART north through SF and across the GG bridge and the wider gauge was intended to keep the trains stable in the high winds they may encounter.
That could be a very good explanation indeed. However, sadly, Marin County backed out of the BART plan because it had a lower population and tax base than the initial areas the trains served at the time. As a consequence, North Bay commuters endure tough commutes along US-101, CA-37, and I-580, in which Golden Gate Transit provides bus services for the region as an alternative to BART. In fact, GGT will be adding more service on at least two commute-only routes to have midday and reverse-commute services for commuters who want to get to the North Bay for work in the morning or those who want to head home early.

San Carlos • San Bruno • San Mateo • Saint Helena • Ross
fieldsofdreams no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2014, 09:14 PM   #704
dimlys1994

Likes (Received): 26117

On the 5th March, FTA announced list of 32 favorable transit projects for funding for 2015. Region's favored matched in red:

image hosted on flickr

image by dimlys46, on Flickr

geometarkv, fieldsofdreams, will101 liked this post

Last edited by dimlys1994; March 6th, 2014 at 09:24 PM.
dimlys1994 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2014, 05:42 PM   #705
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21227

S.F. planners consider 19th Avenue subway

Source

Quote:
With the Central Subway well under construction, San Francisco transportation planners are eyeing a possible 19th Avenue subway to speed travel on the sluggish M-Ocean View Muni Metro line.

A recently completed feasibility study recommends building a subway from St. Francis Circle south to San Francisco State University, with stations at Stonestown Galleria and the university. Along the university campus, one track would be below ground and one would be at street level.

The tracks would be extended at ground level through Parkmerced, crossing Junipero Serra Boulevard on a bridge and then traveling at street level to rejoin the existing M line at Randolph Street.

The project would likely cost about $520 million, but possibly as much as $780 million

The M-Ocean View, which carries about 27,000 riders a day, averages just 8 to 9 mph along 19th Avenue, where it has to contend with traffic signals. It travels from downtown to the Balboa Park Muni and BART Station via West Portal, 19th Avenue and the Ocean View neighborhood.

The MTA will continue looking into the subway with a $1 million preliminary environmental study and a Caltrans project report required for work on 19th Avenue, which is part of the state highway system.

Should the agency decide to go ahead with the subway, design and construction would follow - when funding is available. The soonest the project could be completed, the feasibility study says, is 2022.

fieldsofdreams liked this post
Suburbanist no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2014, 09:53 AM   #706
dimlys1994

Video from BART, this video is preview of new rolling stock, which is going to be presented on the 16th April:

geometarkv, fieldsofdreams, will101 liked this post
Old April 5th, 2014, 09:11 AM   #707
dimlys1994

Transbay Center construction, taken today by EarthCam. Link:

Old April 7th, 2014, 10:25 PM   #708
dimlys1994

March video update of Muni Metro's Central Subway:

will101 liked this post
Old April 8th, 2014, 02:59 AM   #709
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
If it were me, I would give a go ahead with that project because that stretch of 19th Avenue (and the M-Ocean View line) is notorious for its clogged roadway and tracks, especially during rush hours and at odd times of day when students from Mercy High School, Lincoln High School, San Francisco State University, and a few others converge onto and head out from the trains and nearby streets, causing traffic jams in the area. The upcoming subway project could also provide a short-line terminal inside Parkmerced, a fast-growing high-density residential development next to SF State, and it truly deserves congestion relief, especially that 19th Avenue and Park Presidio Blvd act as arterial roads for US-101, CA-1, and I-280, linking the North Bay with the Peninsula.

Old April 8th, 2014, 03:02 AM   #710
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimlys1994 View Post
Video from BART, this video is preview of new rolling stock, which is going to be presented on the 16th April:

I already got an invite to view that train via email... Looks like I'll be one of the first to see what the new train will look and feel like.

dimlys1994, naimabep liked this post
Old April 9th, 2014, 03:37 AM   #711
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Likes (Received): 17033

San Francisco Modern tram photos courtesy of Peter Enrlich

Visit the New Jersey Section

fieldsofdreams, Arnorian, suburbicide liked this post
Nexis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2014, 03:49 PM   #712
MrAronymous

Likes (Received): 6071

What's the definition of modern though?
MrAronymous no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2014, 08:36 PM   #713
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

in that case, the latest streetcar design in operation, which is true. However, at the moment, San Francisco Muni is going through a fleet renewal program, which will involve replacing some of its oldest buses and most of its current light rail vehicle (LRV) fleet, including the ones you see above. It will continue on till around next year, so enjoy them while they last.

Old April 17th, 2014, 04:30 PM   #714
dimlys1994

From KGO-TV:

Quote:
http://abclocal.go.com/kgo/story?sec...fic&id=9505554

BART unveils new train car design, seeks input from riders
Wednesday, April 16, 2014

SAN FRANCISCO (KGO) -- BART riders got a peek at the next generation of train cars at San Francisco's Justin Herman Plaza on Wednesday. The new trains will be hitting the tracks for testing next year and riders can't wait for them to be on line.

The designer of the new cars has built a model and BART wants you to check out the interior and exterior.

The unveiling took place at 11 a.m. during a festival at Justin Herman Plaza, where the public got to tour the train and provide feedback.

"I really like this car. It's fantastic," one rider said.
Another rider didn't like the color of the seats and said they should be orange.

The new trains feature more comfortable seats, improved message boards, three doors to get passengers on and off trains faster, a better cooling system, and digital screens. But disability advocates say the new cars have less space available for people in wheelchairs and new poles will make it harder for people in wheelchairs to get on and off. Some even described this as a step backwards for wheelchair access.

"So I come in here and I got no place to go without hurting her" one woman said.

"I think it's a mess. These poles will impede us from getting from one side to another especially during rush hour when there's a bunch of people trying to get in and out," disabled rider Marissa Shaw said.

BART Board President Joel Keller says he has been aware of this issue.

Wayne: "They're saying you guys aren't listening to them at all. That this is basically a fait accompli."

"We have had plenty of conversations and the dialogue will continue," Keller said.

"That's wonderful, but it doesn't help with access," disabled rider Ian Smith said.

The train will be taken on a flatbed truck to nine other events around the Bay Area between Wednesday and mid-May. More information about the other events can be found on BART's website.

There will be 1000 new trains that will go into passenger service in 2017 and the project is expected to cost $3 billion.

will101 liked this post
Old April 17th, 2014, 09:30 PM   #715
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Dang... I missed that one. Good thing there are several more to choose from. I was taking so many pictures yesterday to forget that sneak peek event. Perhaps I'll swing by next Friday at Civic Center BART to see it firsthand.

As for my images... I've been touring around San Francisco and the Bay Area so much, I ended up creating a collection full of Mass Transit images I've taken over the years... view the collection here.

dimlys1994 liked this post
Old April 17th, 2014, 11:24 PM   #716
MrAronymous

Disabled people complained about the poles in the middle.
Even though it's pretty much standard in any LRT in the world.
Old April 18th, 2014, 01:21 AM   #717
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Oh yes, you get such types of people here... It's like, where else will you put those poles? Or how will you better design the interior to accommodate everybody?

Old April 18th, 2014, 06:04 AM   #718
JustinB

Likes (Received): 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrAronymous View Post
Disabled people complained about the poles in the middle. Even though it's pretty much standard in any LRT in the world.
Toronto's TR subway cars don't have poles in middle. Why would you be for middle poles that make it harder for disabled people to move around easier in vehicles?
Old April 18th, 2014, 08:24 AM   #719
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinB View Post
Toronto's TR subway cars don't have poles in middle. Why would you be for middle poles that make it harder for disabled people to move around easier in vehicles?
And by the way, it is just a mock-up, so it's still possible that the poles will be modified to accommodate riders' needs. I'll look at the full-scale model to see what you're referring to and discuss my impressions on it.

Old April 18th, 2014, 12:38 PM   #720
MrAronymous

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinB View Post
Because people want to be able to hold onto it and not slip and bump into each other when its crowded and the train is moving. Also people would rather grab a pole than some overhead handgrip as being with your hand up in the air is either uncomfortable or not possible(too high up for some people). So then you have a pole. I don't see why it would be harderd for disabled people in rush hour. I mean if it's busy it's busy. A pole isn't going to change a whole lot. And of course you have to make a consideration: Provide to ~5 people who will use the pole at a time, or to the occasional person who will find the pole disruptive. I really don't see why the blind woman from my quote would be inconvenienced. I mean, hello, you have an extra place to hold on right in front of the door! How convenient!

Tags
bart, muni, sacramento, san francisco, smart