daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 17th, 2014, 03:13 AM   #741
zaphod
PRESIDENT OF SPACE

Likes (Received): 1674

I keep seeing two color schemes in these renders.

The blue one above. and a red and gray one similar what exists now, if slightly more orange than red.

is MUNI changing it's look again?

After I'm gone, your earth will be free to live out its miserable span of existence, as one of my satellites, and that's how it's going to be...

Bring me the continuum transfunctioner...

zaphod no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 17th, 2014, 05:19 AM   #742
MrAronymous

Likes (Received): 6077

There's 3. PDF document with pics
MrAronymous no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2014, 06:55 AM   #743
612bv3

Likes (Received): 101

will101 liked this post
612bv3 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2014, 07:26 PM   #744
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21240

I have a question: are there any future plans for expanding VTA in a sort of arch between Campbell, Cupertino and Sunnyvalle, linking both termini of the current lines, and/or extending the line southwestward to Los Gatos?

VTA is rarely mentioned on blogs or websites that cover transportation, whereas BART, Caltrain and MUNI are always on the radar.
Old July 30th, 2014, 07:37 PM   #745
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Likes (Received): 11250

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
I have a question: are there any future plans for expanding VTA in a sort of arch between Campbell, Cupertino and Sunnyvalle, linking both termini of the current lines, and/or extending the line southwestward to Los Gatos?

VTA is rarely mentioned on blogs or websites that cover transportation, whereas BART, Caltrain and MUNI are always on the radar.
You referring to Light Rail or the Bus services? VTA already provides "adequate" bus services to all those cities... But, if you're referring to the light rail aspect, I recall the Vasona Junction project still being pursued by the transit agency. Perhaps I'll ask the folks over at the SF Bay Area Forums, or I'll provide a link here to direct you to the thread.

And speaking of the VTA, it is comforting to know that a real BRT (to be rebranded as the VTA Rapid instead of Line 522) will be constructed very soon along E Santa Clara Street between SAP Center (San Jose Diridon Station) and Alum Rock Transit Center, in which it will essentially shave off a few minutes in each direction for all trips compared to the local (and stopping) Line 22. That will also be deployed along Stevens Creek Boulevard for Line 523 (currently called Line 323, a limited-stop service) between San Jose and De Anza College in Cupertino.

Rohnert Park • Rio Vista • Richmond • Redwood City • Portola Valley • Pleasanton • Pleasant Hill
fieldsofdreams está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2014, 04:21 PM   #746
Sterlyng65

Likes (Received): 45

I would love to see new fleets for the bay area. Its been quite a while for making new trains
Sterlyng65 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2014, 04:43 PM   #747
dimlys1994

Likes (Received): 26130

July construction update on Central Subway:

will101 liked this post
dimlys1994 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2014, 08:28 PM   #748
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sterlyng65 View Post
I would love to see new fleets for the bay area. Its been quite a while for making new trains
Absolutely. For the past eight-plus years of me living here, I've seen new buses running on Bay Area roadways, but not much new trains... Refurbished streetcars, though, for the F-Market & Wharves historic streetcar line, yes. It's like, I've seen the return of at least two beloved streetcars, yet I've got to see the rest of the fleet still.

Rohnert Park • Rio Vista • Richmond • Redwood City • Portola Valley • Pleasanton • Pleasant Hill
Old July 31st, 2014, 08:58 PM   #749
Suburbanist
on the road

Is there any plan for a rail link between San Jose Caltrain station (where, AFAIK, a BART extension will also reach in the futura) and Santa Cruz?
Old July 31st, 2014, 09:05 PM   #750
Knitemplar

Likes (Received): 277

Quote:
Is there any plan for a rail link between San Jose Caltrain station (where, AFAIK, a BART extension will also reach in the futura) and Santa Cruz?
There won't be. There isn't that much traffic between those 2 points to justify the cost of a rail link.
Knitemplar está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2014, 09:13 PM   #751
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Quote:
I don't think so. The alignment of such a route (via the Santa Cruz Mountains) would require tunneling and quite a few bridges that would cost billions of build, and what makes matters worse is that the route could go through sensitive wildlife areas that could cause immense opposition from residents living along the proposed route (especially Los Gatos, Campbell, Scotts Valley, Soquel, and unincorporated communities). The Highway 17 Express, which is jointly operated by Amtrak, Caltrain, Santa Clara VTA, and Santa Cruz Metro, operates the portion between San Jose Diridon and Santa Cruz Metro via Scotts Valley and Soquel Park-and-Ride.

Old July 31st, 2014, 10:20 PM   #752
Suburbanist
on the road

I was thinking that the whole peninsula suffers from high cost of housing due to the booming tech industry, so building fast rail links to Santa Cruz, and/or upgrading seriously the link to Gilroy would put these places within commuting distance of Palo Alto, Sunnyvale and San Jose.
Old August 1st, 2014, 07:45 AM   #753
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

The major challenge of connecting San Jose (and Santa Clara County) with Santa Cruz is with geography. And it is not that easy to build a brand new rail line to connect those two, especially if we consider the current station layout for San Jose Diridon (which is essentially oriented north-south). And if we start building a rail line through the Santa Cruz Mountains, it will take numerous years (and lawsuits from homeowners and businesses) that will affect travel along Highway 17 and its neighboring roads.

The Gilroy-San Jose portion, however, will be upgraded as part of the California High-Speed Rail program, which will operate via the Pacheco Pass (essentially called CA-152) that will eventually connect to the Central Valley instead of sharing tracks with Amtrak all the way down to Los Angeles via Monterey, San Luis Obispo, Santa Barbara, and Ventura Counties.

To inquire further on your proposal to Santa Cruz, I believe it is best to ask here -- the Santa Clara VTA thread -- since it could become a major stakeholder of the service if it is implemented.

Old August 4th, 2014, 10:43 PM   #754
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Likes (Received): 17036

LOL , whats with the Robotic voices?

Visit the New Jersey Section

will101 liked this post
Nexis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2014, 11:11 PM   #755
MrAronymous

Likes (Received): 6077

Quote:
In 2009 the San Francisco and Oakland area's Bay Area Rapid Transit system announced its transition from conductor-given announcements to automated voices. But they didn't belong to humans. BART concluded that "with dozens of stations and thousands of train arrivals every day, real live human beings just couldn’t keep up with the job of voicing all those announcements." The voices were designed by Lucent Technologies, whose Bell Labs Division has been a pioneer in text-to-speech technology. "Lucent called its male voice John and its female voice Grace; at BART, they came to be called George and Gracie. The announcements alternate between the male and female voices on odd- and even-numbered platforms." As realistic as they may sound, the robotic voices lack the personality that riders of other transit systems enjoy.
motherboard.vice.com
MrAronymous no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2014, 12:05 AM   #756
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

I did not immediately recognize that myself... I've heard of the automated voices for so long that I had no issues with it. I still love the "Civic Center... Civic Center Station" driver announcements, or, for a more original taste, for South San Francisco Station: "South City... South City".

Old August 10th, 2014, 10:53 PM   #757
autobussen

Likes (Received): 11

BART in 2000

Bart in the year 2000

Nexis liked this post
autobussen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2014, 07:34 AM   #758
612bv3

Quote:
Draft designs for SMART stations called 'ridiculous' by San Rafael officials
City reaction: Proposed designs called 'ridiculous,' an 'insult'
By Megan Hansen

Draft designs for the Sonoma-Marin Area Rail Transit train stations are circulating in Marin County and San Rafael officials are calling the plans "ridiculous."

San Rafael City Council members voted unanimously Tuesday night to send a letter to SMART stating their displeasure with the platform or station designs, which are 65 percent complete. The scant designs by Oakland-based businesses AECOM Technical Services and FMG Architects feature a canopy, bench, ticket machine, trash can and street light.

Councilman Damon Connolly said the draft designs are inappropriate, especially for the city's downtown stations.
http://www.marinij.com/marinnews/ci_...iculous-by-san
Old September 8th, 2014, 07:35 AM   #759
612bv3

Quote:
Expanded routes for Clipper card users

By Derek Wilson

Riders will no longer have to dig into their pockets for exact change when they get on the bus, as Marin Transit officials have expanded the use of Clipper cards to include more regional routes.

“The Clipper card system is a regional effort to have one single fare card used on all transit agencies in the Bay Area,” said Barbara Duffy, director of planning and operations for Marin Transit. “We’ve been involved with the Clipper system since the beginning, since we have a contract with Golden Gate on our routes. The rural routes and community shuttle routes that didn’t exist at the time Clipper was launched will now have the Clipper system.”

The Clipper system was installed on additional Marin Transit routes as of Aug. 18.
http://www.marinscope.com/news_point...a4bcf887a.html

fieldsofdreams liked this post
612bv3 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2014, 07:42 AM   #760
612bv3

Quote:
Supervisors committee approves $1.2B contract for new Muni light-rail vehicles
By Joshua Sabatini

San Francisco's political leaders have bitterly fought recently over transit-related issues from enforcement of parking meters on Sundays to an increase of the vehicle license fee. But when it comes to the proposed 15-year, $1.2 billion contract to buy hundreds of new light-rail vehicles, everyone appears to be on board.

Complaints of perennial lackluster Muni service is common discourse in San Francisco. Residents say they are routinely frustrated about the system's unreliability, employees are known to use Muni as a foolproof tardiness excuse and politicians routinely promise service will improve.

But whether the replacement and augmentation of existing light-rail vehicles will lead to a more reliable Muni service is something city politicians and Muni officials are counting on.
http://www.sfexaminer.com/sanfrancis...nt?oid=2890888

Tags
bart, muni, sacramento, san francisco, smart