daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 8th, 2014, 09:04 PM   #761
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21227

So people want a "World Class station" for SMART, but then people don't want to pay more for it and say "it is up to Smart to design and pay for"?

How can that be? An enclosed station with facilities, permanent staffing and the like costs a lot of money, at least couple dozen million $$. How is that going to be paid for?

Sponsored Links
Old September 9th, 2014, 08:21 AM   #762
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Likes (Received): 11243

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
So people want a "World Class station" for SMART, but then people don't want to pay more for it and say "it is up to Smart to design and pay for"?

How can that be? An enclosed station with facilities, permanent staffing and the like costs a lot of money, at least couple dozen million $$. How is that going to be paid for?
That's the "mentality" found, not only in Marin and Sonoma Counties, but in many other communities in the Bay Area. To me, a simple station with benches, ticket machines, and a roof with lights are best, especially if it is just a starter station. Over time, the station facilities can be added and expanded to justify the needs of each of the communities served along the line. I would understand, though, of the need to make Downtown San Rafael station a bit grander than others because it is next to a major bus terminal (San Rafael Transit Center), and it requires more than just a simple bench and a roof to begin with... maybe improving the traffic signals around that station would also be needed, as well as demolishing some structures and expanding the Transit Center altogether to really make it into a cool transit hub. Also, if it were me, I would up the densities in areas around stations so that more people can live and work close to stations (similar to what's found in many other communities), and it will promote walking as a way of commuting between work and home.

San Carlos • San Bruno • San Mateo • Saint Helena • Ross
fieldsofdreams no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2014, 08:58 AM   #763
Cal_Escapee
In Search of Sanity

Likes (Received): 10283

Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldsofdreams View Post
I did not immediately recognize that myself... I've heard of the automated voices for so long that I had no issues with it. I still love the "Civic Center... Civic Center Station" driver announcements, or, for a more original taste, for South San Francisco Station: "South City... South City".
I prefer "nδchsten Station: Marienplatz".
Old September 9th, 2014, 09:00 AM   #764
Cal_Escapee
In Search of Sanity

Quote:
Originally Posted by 612bv3 View Post
San Rafael City Council members voted unanimously Tuesday night to send a letter to SMART stating their displeasure with the platform or station designs
This from the people whose starchitectural county building has a notoriously leaky roof.
Old September 9th, 2014, 09:04 AM   #765
Cal_Escapee
In Search of Sanity

Quote:
Originally Posted by 612bv3 View Post
Complaints of perennial lackluster Muni service is common discourse in San Francisco. Residents say they are routinely frustrated about the system's unreliability
The unreliability has very little to do with the transit vehicles and everything to do with the absurd personnel policies brought to us by the very same politicians who are in the pocket of the transit unions. Drivers are allowed to call in "sick" whenever they want, as much as they want, on no notice and with no doctor's note required. So they miss an absurd number of shifts to which Muni responds by just omitting the run.
Old September 9th, 2014, 06:32 PM   #766
dimlys1994

Likes (Received): 26107

From Rail Journal:

Quote:
http://www.railjournal.com/index.php...ml?channel=542

Caltrain launches electric train consultation
Tuesday, September 09, 2014

CALIFORNIAN commuter rail operator Caltrain has launched a public consultation on its future electric train fleet as part of plans to electrify the 82km San Francisco – San Jose line.

Caltrain says the EMUs will replace around 75% of its fleet of diesel locomotives and coaches on the route under the Caltrain Modernisation Programme, which is due to be completed by 2019. The cost of the project is estimated at $US 1.2bn, including $US 440m for the new train fleet.

The board of Caltrain issued a request for information to suppliers in May for the procurement of EMUs. However, the project has not yet been approved and Caltrain says a formal request for proposals will not be issued until the scheme has been granted environmental clearance, which is expected before the end of the year.
dimlys1994 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2014, 06:41 PM   #767
612bv3

Likes (Received): 101

Quote:
Caltrain to buy 16 new cars to ease overcrowded trains
Sep 8, 2014, 5:35am PDT

Caltrain is moving to boost rider capacity during peak-hour commutes with the purchase of 16 more Metrolink rail cars, officials announced Thursday.

Rail officials said the cost of buying the Bombardier Bi-Level Generation 2 rail cars from Southern California Regional Rail Authority and renovating equipment will top out around $15 million, the majority of which will be covered using debt issued against future revenue from rider fare. Ridership numbers on Caltrain have broken records four years in a row. Officials said it could take up to a year for the cars to be functional.

The purchase enables Caltrain to provide short-term relief for trains packed beyond their 600-seat capacity during peak morning and evening commutes. Weekday ridership on the system that runs from Gilroy to San Francisco has more than doubled over the last 10 years to 53,400 people — an upswing that is predicted to reach 69,000 daily riders by 2020.
http://www.bizjournals.com/sanfranci...ercrowded.html
Old September 9th, 2014, 06:44 PM   #768
612bv3

Quote:
Open space is a key feature of future Central Subway station
By Jessica Kwong

There is something that the Chinatown community desires more, and has less of, than housing.

Open space.

While San Francisco stakeholders years ago debated the Central Subway extending the Muni T-Third Street line north on Fourth Street with a Chinatown station as the terminus, community activists coalesced on what would become of the area above it.

Fast-forward to today, construction crews at Washington and Stockton streets in the heart of the neighborhood are erecting walls 85 feet below surface level for the approved, multilevel Central Subway station scheduled to open by 2019. The design plans for a 5,400-square-foot rooftop plaza at the site have yet to be grounded, but are shaping up to be what the Chinatown community wants, said Norman Fong, executive director of the Chinatown Community Development Center.

http://www.sfexaminer.com/sanfrancis...nt?oid=2893708

dimlys1994, fieldsofdreams, will101 liked this post
612bv3 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2014, 03:40 PM   #769
dimlys1994

Video about Caltrain EMU plans:

will101 liked this post
Old September 12th, 2014, 03:57 PM   #770
dimlys1994

Also latest on Transbay Center, taken from website's cameras:

And 3D animation of new Downtown tunnel:

will101 liked this post
Old September 12th, 2014, 10:32 PM   #771
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal_Escapee View Post
The unreliability has very little to do with the transit vehicles and everything to do with the absurd personnel policies brought to us by the very same politicians who are in the pocket of the transit unions. Drivers are allowed to call in "sick" whenever they want, as much as they want, on no notice and with no doctor's note required. So they miss an absurd number of shifts to which Muni responds by just omitting the run.
Is that the reason I see huge gaps in Muni services lately? I saw last night as I was working at univ...

28 Inbound @ 19th Ave & Holloway: 5, 9, 35, 45, 80 minutes

Like that's a huge gap for a busy line?

Old September 13th, 2014, 12:09 AM   #772
phoenixboi08

Likes (Received): 798

Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldsofdreams View Post
Is that the reason I see huge gaps in Muni services lately? I saw last night as I was working at univ...

28 Inbound @ 19th Ave & Holloway: 5, 9, 35, 45, 80 minutes

Like that's a huge gap for a busy line?
Aren't large portions of MUNI already using CBTC? Why not just move towards automation if the performance is so bad?
Old September 14th, 2014, 03:52 AM   #773
Suburbanist
on the road

What is this "ACE" train thing in San Jose and East Bay? A precursor to BART?
Old September 14th, 2014, 05:17 AM   #774
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenixboi08 View Post
Aren't large portions of MUNI already using CBTC? Why not just move towards automation if the performance is so bad?
The problems lie with multiple factors, including:

- Driving time limits (if a driver exceeds a certain number of hours per day of driving, it is prohibited)
- Vehicle shortages (with the 28-19th Avenue, it is only deployed from the Kirkland Yard near Pier 39 and Fisherman's Wharf, and it is rare for another division, especially Woods, to send reliever drivers and buses to keep up with the high-frequency schedules)
- Congestion (19th Avenue lately heading north from roughly 2pm to 6pm can be so heavily congested, buses end up bunching at some corners. When this happens, the wait times just get longer and worse, and that buses are not usually permitted to use alternate routes in the process. With this problem, other lines, especially the 29-Sunset, gets affected).

Yes, those buses now have automated vehicle tracking machines, but, one cannot just fight congestion by using alternate routes. I recall staying on a bus for over an hour just to cross 5 miles from my school to the Golden Gate Bridge because of a signal outage at Park Presidio & Geary, a notoriously busy intersection.

Quote:
ACE is not a precursor to BART. Instead, it is the abbreviation for the Altamont Commuter Express, a commute-only rail service linking San Jose with Stockton via Fremont, Pleasanton, Livermore, and Tracy. This service acts as a great (yet crowded) alternative to driving along the woefully congested I-580 and I-680 corridors.

Lately, I-580 heading westbound gets so crowded as early as 3am for workers heading to San Jose and environs for the early morning shifts. The congestion exacerbates even further when a tractor trailer breaks down (especially that it is a most direct route for truckers heading to the Bay Area from the Central Valley and SoCal) or when a nasty accident happens. The heavily congested, sometimes wall-to-wall trafficked portion of I-580 runs from the I-205 interchange near Tracy (sometimes reaching as far east as the Tracy and Lathrop exits) all the way to the I-580/I-680 interchange in Pleasanton, a distance of around 30 miles (48km). With that congestion, ACE trains provide a good alternative to commuters traveling between the Central Valley and Silicon Valley.

And, periodically, I-680 also gets very crowded along the Sunol Grade, which is a hilly pass that connects Pleasanton and Fremont, and when an accident happens there, a domino effect occurs, spilling over to I-580 and beyond.

However, there are a few, but noticeable disadvantages with the ACE train:

- Only 4 AM and 4 PM trips are provided, meaning commuters have to wait for around an hour if they miss their desired train.
--> AM trips leave Stockton at 4:20am, 5:35am, 6:40am, and 7:05am (arriving in San Jose around 2hr, 12min later)
--> PM trips leave San Jose at 3:35pm, 4:35pm, 5:35pm, and 6:38pm (run time same as above)
- South of Pleasanton, the trains get severely packed with commuters trying to get to San Jose.
- While it may have a good on-time performance, it is subject to delays, especially south of Fremont where it shares tracks with Amtrak and freight trains.

There are plans, though, to move one of its stations (in Tracy) to the upcoming intermodal transit center closer to town (rather than its current location next to the freeway), and additional trains will be mounted for Modesto to ease the overcrowding. And, it is operated by the San Joaquin Regional Transportation District, which also operates city routes in Stockton and regional services within and beyond San Joaquin County.

Last edited by fieldsofdreams; September 14th, 2014 at 05:23 AM.
Old September 14th, 2014, 05:25 AM   #775
Cal_Escapee
In Search of Sanity

Quote:
No. BART is funded by a 0.5% sales tax in the counties that agreed to it (which were always intended to be those with shorelines on San Francisco Bay although initially San Mateo, Marin, Napa and Santa Clara declined to pass the tax and thus BART was built as it was, not as the Bay encircling system it was conceived to be).

Ace (which stands for Altamont Commuter Express because it transits Altamont Pass through the coastal hills/mountains) goes out into the Central Valley to Stockton in San Joaquin County which doesn't pay the BART tax and so won't be getting service:

http://www.acerail.com/Getting-You-There/Maps-Stations

This commuter rail does allow lower paid Silicon Valley tech workers to live out in the Valley where housing is much cheaper (and, to some extent, exports ridiculous Silicon Valley prices to the Valley).

will101 liked this post
Cal_Escapee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2014, 06:05 AM   #776
Suburbanist
on the road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal_Escapee View Post
No. BART is funded by a 0.5% sales tax in the counties that agreed to it (which were always intended to be those with shorelines on San Francisco Bay although initially San Mateo, Marin, Napa and Santa Clara declined to pass the tax and thus BART was built as it was, not as the Bay encircling system it was conceived to be).

This commuter rail does allow lower paid Silicon Valley tech workers to live out in the Valley where housing is much cheaper (and, to some extent, exports ridiculous Silicon Valley prices to the Valley).
I was checking - there is no interchange between BART and ACE in Freemont. Why not build a transfer station here

Also - will ACE become partially redundant when BART extension from Freemont to San Jose and Santa Clara is put in service?

Finally, is there any news on a possible extension of BART from Milbrae to Santa Clara, on an alignment parallel but more westward than Caltrain?
Old September 14th, 2014, 06:55 AM   #777
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Quote:
I was checking - there is no interchange between BART and ACE in Freemont. Why not build a transfer station here

Also - will ACE become partially redundant when BART extension from Freemont to San Jose and Santa Clara is put in service?

Finally, is there any news on a possible extension of BART from Milbrae to Santa Clara, on an alignment parallel but more westward than Caltrain?
Good idea for an interchange station, but problems abound:

- It is too far from a closest commercial district in Fremont, situated along Paseo Padre Parkway (which already has a combined ACE and Amtrak rail station there called Centerville);
- It is next to mostly residential areas, which could mean a large-scale change in zoning policies to achieve a multi-modal transfer station (and it will cause the closure of nearby Fremont/Centerville Station a few miles away);
- It is right next to a regional recreation area, which can be tricky to provide accessible station connections with minimal effects to the surrounding natural habitat and surroundings (good thing that it is a regional park, which means it is covered by Alameda and Contra Costa Counties, rather than a State or National Park, which would require so much more paperwork to address potential environmental impacts);
- The road structure around the potential station could require an extensive overhaul to address potential future (if not massive) growth around that station corridor. The closest BART stations, Union City to the north and Fremont to the south, are mostly suburban in nature, and zoning policies currently restrict TODs to nearby stations... it will require a lot of land expropriation and modification to develop the intermodal station to its full potential; and
- Noise and ownership concerns. With an intermodal station, it can bring in more train noise to a relatively peaceful community in north Fremont, and a shared station between BART, Amtrak, and ACE could bring in some sort of ownership "rivalry" on who can best manage the station in the long-run, especially if it will have commercial structures right by the station.

If a transit hub is built in that area, it will bring in immense revenues thanks to developing it into a transit-oriented development, and it will help bring in even more commercial and residential development to the city.

As for a parallel BART line between Millbrae and Santa Clara, it may not happen because Caltrain already runs close to San Mateo County's main arterial road, El Camino Real, which is essentially the High Street (or Main Street) for many of the communities line up along it. And, the possibility of adding even more rail miles southeastward towards Santa Clara County can be an expensive proposition, especially that San Mateo County was not an original signatory to the BART deal when it was formulated in the 1960s and 70s (it came in late, in around the late 90s, as a deal with SamTrans providing rail services to SF and beyond).

And as for ACE acting as a redundant service between Fremont and Santa Clara, not really... ACE shares tracks with Amtrak between Fremont and San Jose, and the future BART alignment will not touch Great Mall/Main Transit Center, the stop location for ACE and Amtrak (due east of Santa Clara Station, the future terminus of BART in Santa Clara County). And by the way, ACE runs close to Levi's Stadium, the new home of the San Francisco 49ers football team, in which it will start providing game day services for fans from Stockton, Central Valley, and the Tri-Valley.

Old September 17th, 2014, 08:10 AM   #778
612bv3

Quote:
SMART loses bid for money to get train to Larkspur
By Mark Prado

The Sonoma-Marin Area Rail Transit project struck out in its bid for $20 million from the federal government to extend planned commuter rail service from San Rafael to Larkspur.

While a setback, a key regional agency is still backing the plan, saying service to Larkspur and ferry service to San Francisco remains a priority.

On Friday the U.S. Department of Transportation announced the winners of its TIGER — Transportation Investment Generating Economic Recovery — funding. SMART was not on the list.
http://www.marinij.com/novato/ci_265...upport-remains
Old September 17th, 2014, 08:12 AM   #779
612bv3

Quote:
Caltrain begins collecting public feedback on modernizing car interiors
By Emilie Mutert

As Caltrain prepares to electrify and modernize its system, the transit agency is hoping to hear from the traveling public about the preferred design of the cars that will run on the tracks.

At the first of a series of preliminary meetings on future Caltrain cars in San Carlos Monday, the public was invited to meet with SamTrans representatives to provide feedback specifically on the interior of the new cars that will be part of the electrification and modernization of Caltrain. Community members are encouraged to weigh in on various features such as the number of seats per car versus the number of bathrooms, as well as luggage racks and bike racks, said Caltrain spokeswoman Christine Dunn.

"One of the things going on right now is that many of our trains are very crowded," Dunn said. "And people are having to stand during the peak commutes. So what we're asking people right now is, 'What is your preference?' 'Is it more important to you to have a bathroom than a seat? You don't mind standing, but you'd like luggage racks?'"
http://www.sfexaminer.com/sanfrancis...nt?oid=2896860
Old September 19th, 2014, 05:46 AM   #780
612bv3

Quote:
SFMTA board approves contract for Mission Bay loop project

As Mission Bay gets built out, so is transportation infrastructure in the area to accommodate the greater demand.

San Francisco Municipal Transportation Agency board of directors on Tuesday approved a contract not to exceed $3.5 million with Mitchell Engineering to install tracks on the block surrounded by Third, 18th, Illinois and 19th streets to create a short loop for the Muni T-Third Street line.

The Mission Bay loop will allow the southbound light-rail line to turn left onto 18th Street, travel around the block on Illinois and 19th streets and make a right onto northbound Third Street. It will be a "critical component" of the central waterfront area and provide a short turnaround for trains once the Central Subway extending the T-Third line north to Chinatown opens in 2019, SFMTA spokesman Paul Rose said.

"The Loop would allow trains to turn around for special events (e.g. baseball games, concerts, street fairs) and during peak periods to meet the projected service needs in the Central Subway Corridor, including the Chinatown, Mission Bay and SOMA neighborhoods," a staff report states.
http://www.sfexaminer.com/sanfrancis...nt?oid=2902522

Tags
bart, muni, sacramento, san francisco, smart