daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 31st, 2014, 12:09 AM   #801
Woonsocket54
PC LOAD LETTER

Likes (Received): 5731

BART Oakland International Airport connector - opening Nov or Dec 2014

Photo: Michael Short / Special To The Chronicle

A test train rides along the tracks of the soon to open Oakland Airport Connector train, in Oakland, CA, on Wednesday, October 29, 2014.

The Airport station for BART's Oakland Airport Connector train at Oakland International Airport, in Oakland, CA, on Wednesday, October 29, 2014.

A sign reading "train is delayed" is seen inside a train during a media tour of the soon to open Oakland Airport Connector train, in Oakland, CA, on Wednesday, October 29, 2014.

Members of the media are reflected in the windows of a test train as it sits at the Coliseum Station during a media tour of the soon to open Oakland Airport Connector train, in Oakland, CA, on Wednesday, October 29, 2014.

Oakland's mayor Jean Quan looks out a window at the Airport Station during a media tour of the soon to open Oakland Airport Connector, in Oakland, CA, on Wednesday, October 29, 2014.

The interior of a train is seen during a media tour of BART's soon to open Oakland Airport Connector train, in Oakland, CA, on Wednesday, October 29, 2014.

A test train rides along the tracks of the soon to open Oakland Airport Connector train, in Oakland, CA, on Wednesday, October 29, 2014.

Members of the media enter the Airport station of BART's Oakland Airport Connector train during a media tour in Oakland, CA, on Wednesday, October 29, 2014.

The elevated tracks of BART's Oakland Airport Connector train, which will link BART's Coliseum Station with the Oakland International Airport, pass over Hegenberger Road in Oakland, CA, on Wednesday, October 29, 2014.

Source: http://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/articl...or-5856835.php

Sponsored Links
Old October 31st, 2014, 04:06 AM   #802
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Likes (Received): 11243

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woonsocket54 View Post
World Series victory parades tend to set new records for BART daily ridership:

2014.11.03 - 522,198
2012.10.31 - 568,061
2014.10.31 - ???????

Source: http://www.bart.gov/news/articles/2012/news20121031
I could predict a ridership of around 600,000 riders (yours truly included) since it will be a three-peat of a celebration... and you've got the Halloween party-goers in the mix too. It will sure be a massive day for BART.

For my latest images...

DSC08278 by anthonynachor, on Flickr

DSC08276 by anthonynachor, on Flickr

DSC08237 by anthonynachor, on Flickr

DSC08189 by anthonynachor, on Flickr

DSC08011 by anthonynachor, on Flickr

More to come soon.

San Carlos • San Bruno • San Mateo • Saint Helena • Ross

kyah117, pudgym29 liked this post
fieldsofdreams no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2014, 10:18 PM   #803
Woonsocket54
PC LOAD LETTER

BART ridership - top 4 days

2014.10.31 was the third-busiest day on BART, not the busiest day ever as some had predicted.

2010.11.03 - 522,198 (World Series parade)
2012.10.31 - 568,061 (World Series parade)
2013.08.29 - 475,015 (Bay Bridge closure)
2014.10.31 - 511,641 (World Series parade)

http://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/201...series-parade/
Woonsocket54 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2014, 10:45 PM   #804
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

But hey, that is still a massive number!

A few images from my latest trip in San Mateo County:

DSC08318 by anthonynachor, on Flickr

DSC08335 by anthonynachor, on Flickr

DSC08340 by anthonynachor, on Flickr

DSC08348 by anthonynachor, on Flickr

DSC08351 by anthonynachor, on Flickr

DSC08352 by anthonynachor, on Flickr

DSC08370 by anthonynachor, on Flickr

DSC08377 by anthonynachor, on Flickr

DSC08400 by anthonynachor, on Flickr

DSC08438 by anthonynachor, on Flickr

DSC08440 by anthonynachor, on Flickr

DSC08441 by anthonynachor, on Flickr

Old November 4th, 2014, 02:39 AM   #805
Tower Dude

Likes (Received): 593

How's the transbay tunnel and terminal? Is the caltrain expansion going to be a thing or has that been shot to hell?

"Make no small plans they lack the magic to stir men's blood!" - Daniel Burnham

"The scale is Roman and will have to be sustained."
- Charles Follen McKim (In a letter to a friend concerning the design of Penn Station)
Tower Dude no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2014, 02:42 AM   #806
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

So far, the Tower is doing very well. I haven't got any latest shots from it, though. The tunnel: well, there's not any sign of progress... but I will let you know should it changes. That reminds me to revisit it again since the ancillary developments next to the Terminal are now under construction.

Old November 5th, 2014, 03:45 AM   #807
theskythelimit

Likes (Received): 117

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tower Dude View Post
How's the transbay tunnel and terminal? Is the caltrain expansion going to be a thing or has that been shot to hell?
If by "Tunnel" you mean the proposesed extension of Caltrain from the current 4th Street station to the new TransBay Terminal, no , nothing has been built. Funding for the electrification of the line still needs to be fully funded but they are close.

They have built Four Boxes under the under construction Terminal for future Caltrain/HSR service. A generous timeline would have Caltrain at the Terminal in the 2020-25 period with HSR in 2029.

http://www.sfcta.org/delivering-tran...town-extension

Last edited by theskythelimit; November 5th, 2014 at 03:50 AM.
theskythelimit no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2014, 09:08 PM   #808
Woonsocket54
PC LOAD LETTER

BART to Livermore

A proposed extension of BART along the 580 freeway median for 4.8 miles from Dublin/Pleasanton to Livermore

http://www.bart.gov/about/projects/liv

San Francisco Chronicle
http://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/articl...on-5872668.php

Quote:
Voters supporting Alameda County transportation tax
By Michael Cabanatuan

Published 6:46 am, Wednesday, November 5, 2014

Alameda County voters were on their way to approving Measure BB, a $7.8 billion transportation sales tax.

With all precincts reporting results on Wednesday morning, 69.56 percent of voters were approving the tax, just ahead of the 66.7 percent needed. Some provisional and election-day mail-in ballots were still uncounted.

The 30-year tax measure, nearly identical to one that narrowly failed in 2012, would extend an existing half-cent sales tax and tack on another half cent.

Measure BB would devote most of its money — nearly $5 billion — to transit, bicycle and pedestrian improvements, including $400 million toward a Livermore BART extension and $1.5 billion to boost AC Transit service.

Roughly $3 billion would go to streets and highways — mostly for maintenance but also for new interchanges on Interstate 80 and carpool lanes on Interstate 680.

Michael Cabanatuan is a San Francisco Chronicle staff writer. E-mail: [email protected]

pudgym29 liked this post
Old November 5th, 2014, 09:23 PM   #809
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21227

What are chances of extending BART to Tracy?
Old November 5th, 2014, 09:28 PM   #810
Woonsocket54
PC LOAD LETTER

Pretty low, I think. Tracy is in a county that is not a member of BART. It's also very costly to build electrified rail through the Altamont valley.
Old November 5th, 2014, 09:31 PM   #811
Suburbanist
on the road

I think BART, Caltrain, ACE, SMART, SamTrans, MUNI, VTA should all become a single macro-metro entity.
Old November 5th, 2014, 09:42 PM   #812
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

The challenge for that proposal: you've got a HUGE diversity of transportation needs for each county it represents, and BART, Caltrain, and ACE have completely different agendas they deal with. It is not that easy to consolidate all transit entities into one mega-agency, but, that could cause too much bureaucracy in the process, especially concentrated in San Francisco and San Jose...

Old November 6th, 2014, 12:03 AM   #813
jchernin

Likes (Received): 536

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
What are chances of extending BART to Tracy?
None. Here is a link to a survey on how to improve BART:

http://www.futurebart.org/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
I think BART, Caltrain, ACE, SMART, SamTrans, MUNI, VTA should all become a single macro-metro entity.
As fieldofdreams pointed out, the Bay Area is too vast and diverse. Here in Sonoma Co. (500,000 people), we are semi-rural, which is vastly different from San Francisco, which is different from the East Bay, which is different from San Jose (2.5 hours away from Sonoma). The MTC (Metropolitan Transportation Commission) oversees coordination, planning, and funding for the nine-county Bay Area. This system is a balance of system integration/cohesion and local control.

fieldsofdreams liked this post
jchernin no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2014, 12:40 AM   #814
Suburbanist
on the road

Wouldn't be a good policy to allow more counties to join BART?

I've already said I think at least Caltrain and BART should become one unified system, maybe with an expansion to Santa Clara.
Old November 6th, 2014, 02:40 AM   #815
Woonsocket54
PC LOAD LETTER

I don't think BART would be against having more counties join, but it's really up to the counties. Just look at Marin, which pulled out more than a half-century ago.
Old November 6th, 2014, 05:09 AM   #816
MarshallKnight

Likes (Received): 3597

Which KILLS me. Coming from the North Bay, I would love nothing better than a train running under the Golden Gate and into SF. Alas.
MarshallKnight no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2014, 05:18 AM   #817
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarshallKnight View Post
Which KILLS me. Coming from the North Bay, I would love nothing better than a train running under the Golden Gate and into SF. Alas.
You know, I share the same view as you. I truly wish Marin considered bringing BART to the region a long time ago... but, SMART is a good start for us in terms of rail service. And Golden Gate Transit is doing a fabulous job transporting commuters between the North Bay, SF, and Contra Costa counties.

And btw, in which part of Santa Rosa you live in? I currently live in Novato btw...

Old November 6th, 2014, 05:21 AM   #818
sdery

Likes (Received): 54

How difficult would it be to connect BART to Marin? My understanding is that an underground line near the GG Bridge is not possible because of the depth/currents. And obviously there would be no support for retro fitting the GG bridge to accommodate BART.
sdery no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2014, 05:25 AM   #819
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdery View Post
How difficult would it be to connect BART to Marin? My understanding is that an underground line near the GG Bridge is not possible because of the depth/currents. And obviously there would be no support for retro fitting the GG bridge to accommodate BART.
It can be quite difficult, especially if we look into aligning the line via Richmond and creating a tunnel close to the Richmond Bridge to connect it to San Rafael. Not to mention that the landing in San Rafael (at the Canal District) is quite heavily developed, especially with apartment buildings... it can be done, though, with redevelopment. And, if it were me, I would continue it further to serve Novato, Petaluma, and eventually Santa Rosa.

Old November 6th, 2014, 07:18 AM   #820
MarshallKnight

Likes (Received): 3597

Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldsofdreams View Post
SMART is a good start for us in terms of rail service. And Golden Gate Transit is doing a fabulous job transporting commuters between the North Bay, SF, and Contra Costa counties. And btw, in which part of Santa Rosa you live in? I currently live in Novato btw...
I'm from Napa actually (don't live there now, but my parents still do and I'm back there or in SF every few weeks), so the chance of train service ever being useful to me is even more remote. But I agree, SMART is a good start, and GG Transit definitely does a good job bridging the gap. It just feels like, if you have to ride the train all the way from Santa Rosa to Tiburon, and THEN take a bus into the City, that service is going to be used a lot less than a rail line that goes the whole distance.
MarshallKnight no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
bart, muni, sacramento, san francisco, smart