daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 11th, 2015, 05:30 AM   #901
jchernin

Likes (Received): 536

Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldsofdreams View Post
Right. Not to mention that the Wine Train track breaks in Downtown Napa and does not go any further than that. Should there really be a connection between 37 and UP Main Line, then Sonoma, Napa, and Solano Counties should chip in to rehabilitate the line, redevelop it, and possibly expand existing lines (especially the Wine Train) so that more passenger services can be made instead of just relying on tourists and racegoers.
I really wish as well that the wine train tracks connected as well. As MarshallKnight pointed out, there was talk of doing that tied with a passenger train proposal, but that died long ago.

Getting Marin to work with Sonoma has been hard enough. Marin has had "buyer's remorse" and a lot of dissatisfaction with SMART stems from Marin. Marin sees the train mainly as a way to move people from Sonoma to Marin's employment centers. I have a hard time seeing Sonoma and Napa working together, since the regions compete economically - each would be trying to make the system easier for SF tourists to come into their respective region, rather than the other wine region. One can only dream, right

MarshallKnight liked this post
jchernin no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 11th, 2015, 10:35 AM   #902
sdery

Likes (Received): 54

Quote:
I really wish as well that the wine train tracks connected as well. As MarshallKnight pointed out, there was talk of doing that tied with a passenger train proposal, but that died long ago.

Getting Marin to work with Sonoma has been hard enough. Marin has had "buyer's remorse" and a lot of dissatisfaction with SMART stems from Marin. Marin sees the train mainly as a way to move people from Sonoma to Marin's employment centers. I have a hard time seeing Sonoma and Napa working together, since the regions compete economically - each would be trying to make the system easier for SF tourists to come into their respective region, rather than the other wine region. One can only dream, right
It is unfortunate that the rail system in Marin and wine counties has not developed into something similar in the Interlaken area of Switzerland where you can take various trains to access all the tourist sights in the mountains. I think the biggest issue for the Bay Area would be paying for the "last mile" connection into SF proper. Even if cost wasn't an issue, not sure if it is technically possible to tunnel under the Golden Gate.
sdery no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2015, 04:04 PM   #903
00Zy99

Likes (Received): 1507

There's said to be room for a lower-deck rail line across the Golden Gate Bridge.

Of course, that has it's own difficulties.

ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
00Zy99 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2015, 11:00 PM   #904
Tower Dude

Likes (Received): 593

Has Anyone heard any news about the Caltrain downtown extension?

"Make no small plans they lack the magic to stir men's blood!" - Daniel Burnham

"The scale is Roman and will have to be sustained."
- Charles Follen McKim (In a letter to a friend concerning the design of Penn Station)
Tower Dude no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2015, 07:03 PM   #905
jchernin

Quote:
SMART expects delivery of first commuter train in March

Employees from Shimmick Construction, contracted by the SMART agency, work to replace the Haystack Bridge over the Petaluma River on Wednesday, February 11, 2015 in Petaluma, California . (BETH SCHLANKER/ The Press Democrat)

BY MATT BROWN

THE PRESS DEMOCRAT
February 11, 2015, 5:41PM

The Sonoma Marin Area Rail Transit authority is expected to receive its first commuter train March 31, the agency announced Wednesday, as it outlined the final stage of major construction on the initial 43-mile line and highlighted plans for passenger service set to begin by the end of 2016.

A key remaining project is the replacement of a rail bridge over the Petaluma River. The work is ongoing and is expected to be finished this fall, SMART officials said.

Safety along the tracks also will be a challenge for SMART. Officials want to make people aware of the danger of fast-moving trains, especially after an accident last week involving a New York commuter train and an SUV that killed six. SMART received its own safety scare last week when a slow-moving rail car used in track construction got loose and rolled across three road crossings before coming to a stop a mile away.

No one was injured in the incident, but it raised safety concerns as the tracks that now handle a few freight trains per week are readied to facilitate 30 passenger trains a day.

“The loose rail car was our first trial on safety,” said Supervisor Shirlee Zane, a SMART board member.

The SMART contractor is investigating the incident, but it appears that the car’s brake was tampered with, said Jennifer Welch, SMART’s security manger. If vandalism is found to be the cause, law enforcement would get involved, she said. Federal transportation regulators only would get involved in the case of an accident, she said.

The first of SMART’s seven green-and-silver trains on Tuesday left the Transportation Technology Center in Pueblo, Colo., where it underwent months of testing on everything from its diesel engines and brakes to its air conditioner and seats. From there, the train is heading back to the manufacturing plant in Illinois for some fine tuning before being shipped by rail to SMART, Lisa Cobb, the rail systems manager, said Wednesday at a SMART board workshop at the Hyatt Vineyard Creek hotel in Santa Rosa.

“It’s getting some last-minute tweaks,” she said.

The trains initially will be stored on a side track at Fulton Road and River Road north of Santa Rosa during construction of the SMART maintenance and operations center at Airport Boulevard, which is expected to open in July. Once they are delivered, the trains will be put through more tests along the initial operating segment from downtown San Rafael to north of Santa Rosa, Cobb said.

SMART contractors have reconstructed 40 miles of track in Sonoma and Marin counties, said Bill Gamlen, the chief engineer. The remaining track work includes replacing the 102-year-old Haystack Bridge over the Petaluma River with a 30-year-old span that the agency bought from Galveston, Texas, for $4.2 million in 2012.
http://www.pressdemocrat.com/news/35...f-first?page=0

dimlys1994, Nexis, will101 liked this post
Old February 12th, 2015, 09:15 PM   #906
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Likes (Received): 11247

I saw that when my Golden Gate Transit bus (on the 101) went through South Petaluma Blvd, which is quite a sight to watch. Not to mention, US-101 is also being improved at the same time in the same area by improving the on-ramp connecting it with South Petaluma Blvd, working in tandem to prepare for full-time ops of the SMART train. It makes me want to anticipate ever more that I cannot wait for SMART to start running.

Rohnert Park • Rio Vista • Richmond • Redwood City • Portola Valley • Pleasanton • Pleasant Hill

MarshallKnight, jchernin, Zaz965 liked this post
fieldsofdreams está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2015, 01:30 AM   #907
jchernin

Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldsofdreams View Post
I saw that when my Golden Gate Transit bus (on the 101) went through South Petaluma Blvd, which is quite a sight to watch. Not to mention, US-101 is also being improved at the same time in the same area by improving the on-ramp connecting it with South Petaluma Blvd, working in tandem to prepare for full-time ops of the SMART train. It makes me want to anticipate ever more that I cannot wait for SMART to start running.
Cool! I haven't been down to take a look, even though its not too far.

I HAVE been on the 101 through The Narrows though. They are definately improving that interchange, from a funky design to a straight-forward diamond with "aesthetic touches". The bridge over the Petaluma River is being replaced and widened from 2 to 3 lanes each direction. The Narrows itself is being upgraded from expressway (divided, but without "limited access") to full freeway status (divided and limited access). That will make 101 a freeway for its entire length through Marin and Sonoma Counties. However, there is as yet NO FUNDING for widening The Narrows to 3 lanes. Each direction will remain 2 lanes each direction until funding is found. All the more reason SMART will be critical in providing another link between the counties.

fieldsofdreams liked this post
Old February 13th, 2015, 02:17 AM   #908
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

I was in Petaluma a few days back to check on SMART near Copeland Street...

DSC03149 by anthonynachor, on Flickr

DSC03151 by anthonynachor, on Flickr

IMG_2621 by anthonynachor, on Flickr

Do you think we can meet to discuss further the future of SMART in person?

Rohnert Park • Rio Vista • Richmond • Redwood City • Portola Valley • Pleasanton • Pleasant Hill

dimlys1994, geometarkv, will101, Zaz965 liked this post
Old February 13th, 2015, 04:11 PM   #909
dimlys1994

Likes (Received): 26129

Central Subway portal at 4th Street:
https://www.facebook.com/CentralSubway

jchernin, geometarkv, will101 liked this post
dimlys1994 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2015, 02:29 PM   #910
jchernin

A close up of SMART's pilot set being tested at the Transportation Test Center in Pueblo, CO
https://www.facebook.com/sonomamarin...type=1&theater

dimlys1994, will101 liked this post
Old February 20th, 2015, 04:23 AM   #911
jchernin

[quote]
SMART settles on more classic station design

A photograph from Duluth, Minnesota presenting an example of the type of platform structure favored by the Sonoma County Transportation Authority. (Sonoma County Transportation Authority)

A drawing of the preliminary SMART platform designs done by AECOM. (Sonoma-Marin Area Rail Transit)

BY MATT BROWN

THE PRESS DEMOCRAT
February 18, 2015, 7:25PM

After taking heat for proposing commuter rail platforms that many said were sparse and out of place in the North Bay, SMART has selected an alternative design that more evokes a classic rail station.

edit: please no full articles, thanks

http://www.pressdemocrat.com/news/35...classic?page=0

It will be interesting to see if any cities choose to go with the original design. I kinda like it better actually. The "classic" one looks too much like a bus shelter.

dimlys1994, will101 liked this post
Old February 20th, 2015, 05:41 AM   #912
Tower Dude

Why do people cling to no longer relevant architectural styles

- Charles Follen McKim (In a letter to a friend concerning the design of Penn Station)
Old February 21st, 2015, 01:34 AM   #913
MrAronymous

Likes (Received): 6074

Because it makes them feel fuzzy inside.
MrAronymous no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2015, 04:43 AM   #914
Tower Dude

It makes all angry inside!

Old February 21st, 2015, 05:44 AM   #915
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

I think it would be much better if that roof would be extended to spread to nearly the entire length of the rail platform so that more passengers can stay dry in the rain, if not protect them from the elements. How about additional seats too, if not heated seats so that passengers will feel comfy in wintertime?

CNB30, Zaz965 liked this post
Old February 21st, 2015, 09:58 PM   #916
CNB30
centralnatbankbuildingrva

Likes (Received): 805

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tower Dude View Post
Why do people cling to no longer relevant architectural styles
because so many of the new ones are just god awfully dull, or cheesy, etc. I personally disagree with the modernist opinion that any specific architectural style fits only one single era, and is therefore "not relevant". Either way, if you want to get into "relevance" I'd say that artistically, many older styles with their complex details (Victorian, etc) are more representative of the complexities of modern society, than let's say some plain whitewashed facade, or plain glass box could ever be.

A developed country is not a place where the poor have cars. It’s where the rich use public transportation

Feel The Bern #2016

TM_Germany liked this post
CNB30 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2015, 10:14 PM   #917
MrAronymous

Likes (Received): 6074

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNB30 View Post
are more representative of the complexities of modern society
Ok, let's be honest, who are you kidding now?
MrAronymous no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2015, 11:38 PM   #919
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

I have similar photos on that... Perhaps I should share a few of them too on my flagship thread.

Zaz965 liked this post
Old February 22nd, 2015, 02:45 AM   #920
CNB30
centralnatbankbuildingrva

Likes (Received): 805

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrAronymous View Post
Ok, let's be honest, who are you kidding now?
nobody, that's just my opinion. Now i will agree with you on one thing, which is that most neo-historic stuff has this awful Kitsch look to it, which does appear to be nothing more than a cartoon of historic architecture, such as that bust stop which you guys were complaining about.

A developed country is not a place where the poor have cars. It’s where the rich use public transportation

Feel The Bern #2016
CNB30 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
bart, muni, sacramento, san francisco, smart