daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 15th, 2015, 09:25 AM   #981
FDW

Likes (Received): 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldsofdreams View Post
When do you think SMART will hit 6tph at rush hours? Consider the fact that at the moment, if you wanna go through the stations along the line, you would have to deal with multiple Golden Gate, Marin Transit, Petaluma Transit, Santa Rosa CityBus, and Sonoma County Transit lines. Once the initial segment is complete, how would those affected lines be adjusted to serve SMART efficiently?
Not for at least 20 years or so. As for Buses in the North Bay, I've never really taken a hard look at what's in Sonoma, but for Marin I'd have GGT cut all direct express service to SF outside peak North of San Rafael (instead emphasizing SMART to Larkspur Ferry transfers for that crowd).
FDW no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 15th, 2015, 09:32 AM   #982
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Likes (Received): 11243

That's where I come in. Sonoma County Transit has the following routes on hand:

- Routes 44 and 44x (Petaluma - Santa Rosa via Penngrove, McDowell Blvd, and Cotati)
- Routes 48 and 48x (Petaluma - Santa Rosa via Petaluma Blvd and west Rohnert Park)
- Routes 60 and 60x (Santa Rosa - Cloverdale via Healdsburg and Windsor)
- Route 62 (Santa Rosa Transit Mall - Windsor via Sonoma County Airport)

All those routes have inconsistent services compared to Golden Gate Transit, and SMART could augment those lines to allow them to provide localized service along the rail line. As for its impacts to Santa Rosa CityBus and Petaluma Transit, I believe SMART will help boost ridership on those lines since those act as feeders to the train.

San Carlos • San Bruno • San Mateo • Saint Helena • Ross

Zaz965 liked this post
fieldsofdreams no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2015, 09:38 AM   #983
FDW

Quote:
That's where I come in. Sonoma County Transit has the following routes on hand:

- Routes 44 and 44x (Petaluma - Santa Rosa via Penngrove, McDowell Blvd, and Cotati)
- Routes 48 and 48x (Petaluma - Santa Rosa via Petaluma Blvd and west Rohnert Park)
- Routes 60 and 60x (Santa Rosa - Cloverdale via Healdsburg and Windsor)
- Route 62 (Santa Rosa Transit Mall - Windsor via Sonoma County Airport)

All those routes have inconsistent services compared to Golden Gate Transit, and SMART could augment those lines to allow them to provide localized service along the rail line. As for its impacts to Santa Rosa CityBus and Petaluma Transit, I believe SMART will help boost ridership on those lines since those act as feeders to the train.
There isn't going to be much affect on them at first because SMART's only planning on having a single midday trip to start.
Old June 15th, 2015, 09:42 AM   #984
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Single midday trip? That means riders will still need to use Golden Gate Transit and Sonoma County Transit to get around... I would like to have at least 4 midday trips to give me mobility choices.

Zaz965 liked this post
Old June 15th, 2015, 06:35 PM   #985
FDW

Quote:
Single midday trip? That means riders will still need to use Golden Gate Transit and Sonoma County Transit to get around... I would like to have at least 4 midday trips to give me mobility choices.
Yeah, that little piece of bad news has been lurking around SMART's website for a long time now.
Old June 15th, 2015, 06:47 PM   #986
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by FDW View Post
Yeah, that little piece of bad news has been lurking around SMART's website for a long time now.
Gosh... I will need to contact SMART and ask when more midday services will come in. I rely on midday services so that I can get to Santa Rosa and beyond without the need of sitting in traffic along Highway 101.

Zaz965 liked this post
Old June 15th, 2015, 08:25 PM   #987
FDW

Quote:
Gosh... I will need to contact SMART and ask when more midday services will come in. I rely on midday services so that I can get to Santa Rosa and beyond without the need of sitting in traffic along Highway 101.
There's also going to be no evening service, but there will be some weekend trips.

Also, I've got some new ideas for Bay Area transit that I'm going to air out in the local thread. (One involving a second transbay tube)
Old June 16th, 2015, 06:30 PM   #988
00Zy99

Likes (Received): 1506

Quote:
There's also going to be no evening service, but there will be some weekend trips.

Also, I've got some new ideas for Bay Area transit that I'm going to air out in the local thread. (One involving a second transbay tube)
Link to your ideas, please?
00Zy99 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2015, 07:17 PM   #989
FDW

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00Zy99 View Post
Link to your ideas, please?
In this thread:

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showth...583857&page=23
Old June 16th, 2015, 07:45 PM   #990
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

This should be more of a Bay Area highways post, but this will also affect mass transit in a big way...

Presidio Parkway to be Closed Between 9 and 13 July 2015

This is planned as the roadway leading to and from the Golden Gate Bridge is close to being completed, and it will finally open the remaining sections that have been closed off to motorists for years. Affected transit agencies include Golden Gate Transit (and Ferry) and San Francisco Muni, in which both are expected to make their transit adjustment plans in the next few days. My best guesses are as follows:

- Muni: Lines 28 and 76X will be severely impacted by this closure, especially with long detours around the construction site.
>> Board 28 or 28R at either California & 12th or Lombard & Divisadero (28 only)
>> Board 76X (if running) at either the Golden Gate Bridge Toll Plaza or Lombard & Fillmore (if not the Financial District)
- Golden Gate Transit: commute routes will be severely impacted during the Friday commute, in which significant detours will take place as the Richardson & Francisco stop will be temporarily bypassed. Lines 10, 70, and 101 will also be detoured away from the construction site, in which those will use Geary Boulevard to access Civic Center; that would mean service along Lombard and Van Ness north of Golden Gate may be temporarily discontinued until the conclusion of the project Monday morning.
- Golden Gate Ferry: additional ferry services will be mounted to help affected commuters, especially on the Larkspur service. I hope Sausalito will also see additional ferry trips to ease congestion at the Ferry Building.

More details here

dimlys1994, will101, Zaz965 liked this post
Old June 17th, 2015, 11:49 AM   #991
dimlys1994

Likes (Received): 26117

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal_Escapee View Post
Oh, THANK YOU - THANK YOU - THANK YOU

The fence they've built to hide what they are doing there is nearly impenetrable and I've been wondering for over a year what it looked like (of course I knew they were building the station but not exactly what was the state of things).
Alright, here is another station view. Chinatown station:
https://www.facebook.com/CentralSubway

Old June 17th, 2015, 12:15 PM   #992
Cal_Escapee
In Search of Sanity

Likes (Received): 10283

Very nice. They put up these impenetrable walls around so many projects these days the only way you can see what's going on is if you know someone in a building overlooking the site.

dimlys1994 liked this post
Cal_Escapee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2015, 04:48 PM   #993
dimlys1994

From Rail Journal:

Quote:
http://www.railjournal.com/index.php...ml?channel=535

San Francisco orders 40 more LRVs from Siemens
Wednesday, June 17, 2015

SAN FRANCISCO Municipal Transportation Agency (SFMTA) unveiled a full-size mock-up of its forthcoming S200 SF LRV on June 16 and confirmed that it has exercised an option with Siemens for 40 additional vehicles

The option takes the total number of vehicles on order to 215, making it Siemens' largest-ever order for light rail vehicles in the United States.

The mock-up was publically unveiled by SFMTA director of transit Mr John Haley, San Francisco Mayor Mr Ed Lee and Siemens infrastructure and cities USA president Mr Michael Cahill and displays design features adopted following a public consultation last year. These include a new seating configuration, new interior colour scheme and new exterior styling

jchernin, Tramwayman liked this post
dimlys1994 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2015, 05:57 PM   #994
FDW

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimlys1994 View Post
From Rail Journal:
Those new LRV's are going to be so much better with the all side seating configuration.

dimlys1994, jchernin liked this post
Old June 19th, 2015, 06:40 AM   #995
dimlys1994

More on Caltrain:

will101 liked this post
dimlys1994 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2015, 09:34 AM   #996
FDW

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimlys1994 View Post
More on Caltrain:

CBOSS was, and is, a bad idea. (Though PTC is still a good idea regardless)

G5man, dimlys1994 liked this post
Old June 19th, 2015, 04:03 PM   #997
phoenixboi08

Likes (Received): 798

Quote:
CBOSS was, and is, a bad idea. (Though PTC is still a good idea regardless)
What's makes CBOSS problematic?
Old June 19th, 2015, 07:47 PM   #998
FDW

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenixboi08 View Post
What's makes CBOSS problematic?
The fact that it's custom system when of the existing standard signaling system would been better. (especially considering that HSR, which is going to share tracks with Caltrain, isn't going to use CBOSS)

dimlys1994 liked this post
Old June 19th, 2015, 08:15 PM   #999
phoenixboi08

Likes (Received): 798

Quote:
The fact that it's custom system when of the existing standard signaling system would been better. (especially considering that HSR, which is going to share tracks with Caltrain, isn't going to use CBOSS)
I see. What's the standard? (Not CBTC, is it?)
Old June 19th, 2015, 09:16 PM   #1000
FDW

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenixboi08 View Post
I see. What's the standard? (Not CBTC, is it?)
CAHSR is using ERMTS.

Tags
bart, muni, sacramento, san francisco, smart