daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 20th, 2015, 02:46 AM   #1001
phoenixboi08

Likes (Received): 798

Quote:
Originally Posted by FDW View Post
CAHSR is using ERMTS.
Got it. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old June 20th, 2015, 06:35 AM   #1002
FDW

Likes (Received): 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenixboi08 View Post
Got it. Thanks.
Though there are some good things going on with the Electrification, like Caltrain opting for Level Boarding that's compatible with CAHSR (which will save billions).
FDW no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2015, 07:20 AM   #1003
00Zy99

Likes (Received): 1506

I was under the impression that CAHSR hadn't chosen platform height yet?

They seem to be favoring the Japanese 700 series, which only boards at high-level platforms.
00Zy99 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2015, 07:27 AM   #1004
FDW

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00Zy99 View Post
I was under the impression that CAHSR hadn't chosen platform height yet?

They seem to be favoring the Japanese 700 series, which only boards at high-level platforms.
They have actually, choosing 51 inches as their Height. The plan that seems to emerging is that Caltrain will buy EMU's with two sets of doors at different heights, with the goal of gradually raising each platform at each station until all are high floor.
Old June 20th, 2015, 07:33 AM   #1005
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Likes (Received): 11243

The challenge I foresee of Caltrain sharing tracks with CAHSR: the latter will run much faster than the former, especially when it goes up and down the Peninsula where Caltrain runs with multiple service types (local, limited stop, Baby Bullets A and B, and so on). I am still thinking: will there be quadruple tracking to allow the HSR to bypass Caltrain trains while, at the same time, allow it to run a bit slower when they see a Caltrain set for safety reasons? I mean, I understand that electrification of Caltrain is needed to allow it to run faster, yet it also means space allocation may need to be looked at to allow HSR to run through the Peninsula with ease.

And I also thought: will there be a Palo Alto HSR station, especially that Caltrain stops at that station on most trips between SF and San Jose (there are only around 6 trains, 3 each way, that skip the station)?

San Carlos • San Bruno • San Mateo • Saint Helena • Ross

Zaz965 liked this post
fieldsofdreams no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2015, 07:40 AM   #1006
FDW

Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldsofdreams View Post
The challenge I foresee of Caltrain sharing tracks with CAHSR: the latter will run much faster than the former, especially when it goes up and down the Peninsula where Caltrain runs with multiple service types (local, limited stop, Baby Bullets A and B, and so on). I am still thinking: will there be quadruple tracking to allow the HSR to bypass Caltrain trains while, at the same time, allow it to run a bit slower when they see a Caltrain set for safety reasons? I mean, I understand that electrification of Caltrain is needed to allow it to run faster, yet it also means space allocation may need to be looked at to allow HSR to run through the Peninsula with ease.

And I also thought: will there be a Palo Alto HSR station, especially that Caltrain stops at that station on most trips between SF and San Jose (there are only around 6 trains, 3 each way, that skip the station)?
There's already some Quad-tracks on the Peninsula, and there will be more as time goes on. I mentioned over the local thread (which you should really check out) that I think that Caltrain should simplify it's service offerings into a "Peninsula Local" and a "San Jose Express".
Old June 22nd, 2015, 05:23 AM   #1007
calibusguy

Likes (Received): 1

I'm very excited for the new MUNI LRVs. The current fleet is extremely old and is in serious need of replacement. Good thing they went with Siemens this time, it seems that they are leading the industry in LRVs at the moment.
calibusguy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2015, 06:11 AM   #1008
FDW

Quote:
Originally Posted by calibusguy View Post
I'm very excited for the new MUNI LRVs. The current fleet is extremely old and is in serious need of replacement. Good thing they went with Siemens this time, it seems that they are leading the industry in LRVs at the moment.
Our fleet isn't that old, it's just that Breda does horrible work and we're paying for that (Though most Of the new LRV's won't be coming until 2021). And Siemens isn't really all that advanced, but they do have a duopoly with Kinkisharyo over the U.S. LRV market. We suffer for that badly.
Old June 22nd, 2015, 06:42 AM   #1009
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Quote:
There's already some Quad-tracks on the Peninsula, and there will be more as time goes on. I mentioned over the local thread (which you should really check out) that I think that Caltrain should simplify it's service offerings into a "Peninsula Local" and a "San Jose Express".
I mean, however, the HSR will be using the middle tracks to make the journeys quicker... and those will deploy advanced train signaling systems so that Caltrain could also use it for your San Jose Express. The other concern I have would be the Gilroy expansion: will the San Jose Express be developed to have daily return trips between San Jose and Gilroy, with at least 3 return trips to and from SF?

Zaz965 liked this post
Old June 22nd, 2015, 07:18 AM   #1010
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by calibusguy View Post
Here are a few images of what Muni's LRVs (Breda) look like, and you decide if these need to be replaced:

DSC09974 by Anthony Nachor, on Flickr

DSC02112 by Anthony Nachor, on Flickr

Zaz965 liked this post
Old June 22nd, 2015, 07:22 AM   #1011
FDW

Quote:
I mean, however, the HSR will be using the middle tracks to make the journeys quicker... and those will deploy advanced train signaling systems so that Caltrain could also use it for your San Jose Express. The other concern I have would be the Gilroy expansion: will the San Jose Express be developed to have daily return trips between San Jose and Gilroy, with at least 3 return trips to and from SF?
Much of the corridor South of San Jose Diridon has extremely poor ridership. I'd rather give those stations over to the Capitol Corridor (at least until I split it at Emeryville), and have Capitol Corridor service operate all the way to Salinas.
Old June 22nd, 2015, 07:40 AM   #1012
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

So you're telling me... Capitol Corridor to Salinas? Hmmm... how many return trips per day are we looking at?

Zaz965 liked this post
Old June 22nd, 2015, 07:57 AM   #1013
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Likes (Received): 17033

I heard they break down often...
Visit the New Jersey Section
Nexis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2015, 08:22 AM   #1014
FDW

Quote:
So you're telling me... Capitol Corridor to Salinas? Hmmm... how many return trips per day are we looking at?
About 4-5 trips to start. Similar to what Caltrain proposed when they were talking of extending it south of Gilroy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis View Post
I heard they break down often...
Everything Breda does breaks down often.
Old June 22nd, 2015, 08:39 AM   #1015
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Likes (Received): 17033

Does Monterrey have a Strong Intercity Bus connection to San Fran?
Visit the New Jersey Section
Nexis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2015, 08:43 AM   #1016
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Quote:
About 4-5 trips to start. Similar to what Caltrain proposed when they were talking of extending it south of Gilroy.
That would lessen the need for Monterey-Salinas Transit to operate between Monterey and San Jose on the 55 then...

Quote:
Everything Breda does breaks down often.
Oh yes, and not helping matters: on my latest ride last week on the M-Ocean View inbound, one of the train doors "jammed" as it did not open fully when it stopped at Castro Station. I had to tell the driver that the very back door was jammed that he had to reopen the doors so that it can close properly.

Zaz965 liked this post
Old June 22nd, 2015, 08:45 AM   #1017
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis View Post
Does Monterrey have a Strong Intercity Bus connection to San Fran?
Not really. The furthest intercity service (that isn't Greyhound) is San Jose (I just described it with Monterey-Salinas Transit with the Line 55). With Greyhound, I believe it ends at Oakland instead of SF.

Zaz965 liked this post
Old June 23rd, 2015, 09:14 AM   #1018
dimlys1994

Likes (Received): 26113

Future Milpitas BART station progress:

mrsmartman, Fan Railer, jchernin, Zaz965 liked this post
dimlys1994 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2015, 05:45 AM   #1019
jchernin

Likes (Received): 536

An aerial photo of the Haystack Bridge in Petaluma taken on May 19th, 2015

https://m.facebook.com/sonomamarintr...pe=1&source=48
Old June 26th, 2015, 10:17 AM   #1020
zaphod
PRESIDENT OF SPACE

Likes (Received): 1673

What is that thing, exactly?

After I'm gone, your earth will be free to live out its miserable span of existence, as one of my satellites, and that's how it's going to be...

Bring me the continuum transfunctioner...

zaphod no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
bart, muni, sacramento, san francisco, smart