daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 28th, 2015, 09:07 AM   #1021
jchernin

Likes (Received): 536

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaphod View Post
What is that thing, exactly?
They are replacing the old 1904 swing bridge with a lightly used drawbridge purchased from Galveston.
jchernin no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 1st, 2015, 08:01 PM   #1022
jchernin

Great news!

Quote:
SMART secures $11 million grant to purchase three more rail cars

Photo illustration showing a SMART train with three cars. (PHOTO: SMART)

BY GUY KOVNER
THE PRESS DEMOCRAT
June 30, 2015, 1:19PM

The Sonoma-Marin Area Rail Transit authority received an $11 million state grant Tuesday to purchase three more rail cars for the commuter rail system scheduled to begin operating in December 2016, state and local officials said.

State Transportation Agency Secretary Brian Kelly and state Sen. Mike McGuire, D-Healdsburg, announced the SMART grant, part of a package of 14 grants totaling $224 million to support public transportation and reduce greenhouse gas emissions.

The three additional cars will boost SMART’s seating capacity by 35 percent, officials said. Because of the escalating costs for rail cars, the grant also was estimated to have saved taxpayers about $11 million, according to state officials.

“It’s a big deal,” said Farhad Mansourian, the rail authority’s general manager, expressing thanks to Kelly and McGuire for securing a piece of the competitive grant funding.

The three cars will expand SMART’s existing fleet of 14 cars, which operate in two-car sets, enabling the system to run a trio of three-car sets, Mansourian said. The new cars are “middle cars” that will sandwich between two of the existing cars, he said.

That configuration boosts passenger capacity from 320 people sitting and standing to 450 people in the three-car sets, he said.

The added capacity will help enable SMART to extend service from the Charles M. Schulz-Sonoma County Airport to Windsor, a link currently missing from the rail development plan. The authority also needs $39 million to lay track from the airport area to Windsor, Mansourian said.

SMART took delivery of four gray-and-green rail cars in April and has the other 10 on order, he said.

With the price of rail cars expected to double after 2017, the latest grant saves SMART — and ultimately taxpayers — $11 million, Mansourian said.

The rail project will take more than 1.4 million car trips off Highway 101 annually and reduce greenhouse gases, which contribute to global warming, by at least 124,000 pounds per day, the agency’s website says.

The 14 state grants help support about $720 million in public transportation investments and reduce an estimated 860,000 metric tons of greenhouse gas emissions, the equivalent of taking 180,000 cars off the road, the State Transportation Agency said in a press release.

The grants come from the Greenhouse Gas Reduction Fund using proceeds from the state’s cap-and-trade auctions.

You can reach Staff Writer Guy Kovner at 521-5457 or [email protected]. On Twitter @guykovner.
http://www.pressdemocrat.com/news/41...-million-grant
Old July 2nd, 2015, 07:06 PM   #1023
jchernin

Went to check out the SMART train yesterday parked outside the Marin Co Fair at the future Civic Center Station. The train will also be there today and tomorrow, available for viewing 12pm-7pm.

Hard to tell from the photos, but first thing you realize walking up to this thing, is that this is a REAL train - not some puny light rail train.

One car has a bathroom, the other a small concession stand (and yes, you will be able to travel between cars)

Suburbanist, Nexis, dimlys1994, Zaz965 liked this post
Old July 3rd, 2015, 01:19 AM   #1024
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Likes (Received): 11243

I went in today, and I must say that I am totally impressed with this train. Hands down my new favorite vehicle that will significantly help me with my commutes in the North Bay.

DSC01144 by Anthony Nachor, on Flickr

DSC01145 by Anthony Nachor, on Flickr

DSC01152 by Anthony Nachor, on Flickr

DSC01153 by Anthony Nachor, on Flickr

DSC01156 by Anthony Nachor, on Flickr

DSC01159 by Anthony Nachor, on Flickr

DSC01161 by Anthony Nachor, on Flickr

DSC01162 by Anthony Nachor, on Flickr

DSC01166 by Anthony Nachor, on Flickr

DSC01167 by Anthony Nachor, on Flickr

DSC01171 by Anthony Nachor, on Flickr

DSC01173 by Anthony Nachor, on Flickr

DSC01175 by Anthony Nachor, on Flickr

DSC01177 by Anthony Nachor, on Flickr

DSC01189 by Anthony Nachor, on Flickr

I will find a way to design the seating chart since I drew it on paper.

San Carlos • San Bruno • San Mateo • Saint Helena • Ross

jchernin, Zaz965 liked this post
fieldsofdreams no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2015, 01:57 AM   #1025
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Likes (Received): 17032

Is that a bistro car?
Visit the New Jersey Section
Nexis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2015, 02:16 AM   #1026
jchernin

^ Great fieldsofdreams! I'm glad you too got a chance to see the cars! I agree that the trains are impressive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis View Post
Is that a bistro car?
One car has a bathroom, the other a concession.

Last edited by jchernin; July 3rd, 2015 at 02:52 AM. Reason: Spelling error
Old July 3rd, 2015, 02:45 AM   #1027
calibusguy

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by FDW View Post
Everything Breda does breaks down often.
Haha, it's true. That's why I'm excited for the new MUNI sets.

Also extremely excited for the new SMART line! I used to live in Petaluma, and I now regret moving even more. I'll definitely have to come check it out when it opens to the public.

jchernin liked this post

Last edited by calibusguy; July 3rd, 2015 at 02:47 AM. Reason: added SMART comment
calibusguy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2015, 04:34 AM   #1028
saturnspace2

Likes (Received): 12

So thats the reason of all the traffic, huh
saturnspace2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2015, 04:55 AM   #1029
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

AND... I finally made this sketch of the seating chart for the SMART train that lays out how the seats are arranged, where the power ports are, and its other features.

The bottom part of the other half is the same as the top: driver cockpit. Sketched first with pencil then overlaid with pens. You can then determine what the total capacity (seated and standees) will be if it runs during peak periods.

jchernin, calibusguy, Suburbanist, Zaz965 liked this post
Old July 3rd, 2015, 05:01 AM   #1030
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Quote:
Is that a bistro car?
It's a bar that will sell snacks and drinks on board. Not really a bistro car since it is a commuter train.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jchernin View Post
^ Great fieldsofdreams! I'm glad you too got a chance to see the cars! I agree that the trains are impressive.

One car has a bathroom, the other a concession.
See the seating chart I made. Both are in one train. And you should have told me that you were to see it yesterday... but I had to visit my orthodontist today, and I happened to see the train since Golden Gate Transit line 49 and Marin Transit line 259 (both go to and from my place directly) pass by the Civic Center SMART station. I went there after lunch from Northgate Mall, in which I took some time looking at its interior and all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by calibusguy View Post
Haha, it's true. That's why I'm excited for the new MUNI sets.

Also extremely excited for the new SMART line! I used to live in Petaluma, and I now regret moving even more. I'll definitely have to come check it out when it opens to the public.
Well, if you can find a place here, get it sooner so that you can enjoy SMART and Golden Gate Transit once again. I will do my best to keep you updated on this, especially that I live in between two stations: Atherton and Hamilton.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnspace2 View Post
So thats the reason of all the traffic, huh
What do you mean?

Zaz965 liked this post
Old July 3rd, 2015, 06:02 AM   #1031
00Zy99

Likes (Received): 1506

It appears that the cars have mirrored seating arrangements.

Each one seats 72 people (including tip-up seats).

Honestly amazed at the snack bar.

VERY rare on commuter trains nowadays.
00Zy99 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2015, 06:06 AM   #1032
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Actually, 79. Count carefully. The 4-somes that appear to be boxed next to each other are separate seats, in which those face opposite from one another.

Zaz965 liked this post
Old July 3rd, 2015, 07:26 AM   #1033
jchernin

Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldsofdreams View Post
...And you should have told me that you were to see it yesterday... but I had to visit my orthodontist today, and I happened to see the train since Golden Gate Transit line 49 and Marin Transit line 259 (both go to and from my place directly) pass by the Civic Center SMART station. I went there after lunch from Northgate Mall, in which I took some time looking at its interior and all.
I was with my 5 and 3 year old sons. It's hard to take some time looking at stuff when you're with them

fieldsofdreams liked this post
Old July 3rd, 2015, 07:31 AM   #1034
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

I live just down in Novato, in which I commute up and down 101 by Golden Gate Transit and Marin Transit nearly every day... if I come up your way, I will let you know. Perhaps the most logical place to start would be the Transit Mall, if you know what I mean.

Zaz965 liked this post
Old July 3rd, 2015, 10:04 AM   #1035
calibusguy

Likes (Received): 1

Wow, these SMART cars are way more high class than I would've ever imagined. A snack bar?!
calibusguy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2015, 01:32 PM   #1036
Nexis
Dark Wolf

I wonder if they'll contract out their snack bar to Chipotle or Starbucks.
Old July 3rd, 2015, 04:19 PM   #1037
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by calibusguy View Post
Wow, these SMART cars are way more high class than I would've ever imagined. A snack bar?!
Mhm. And WiFi on board each train too. Not to mention, only Clipper cards will be accepted as payment, no more cash fares to save on resources.

Quote:
I wonder if they'll contract out their snack bar to Chipotle or Starbucks.
Nah. It will most likely be done in-house, with a local contractor doing it. It would be nice though if those big chains will offer such foods and drinks on board, especially that the trains might serve alcohol too.

Zaz965 liked this post
Old July 4th, 2015, 03:43 AM   #1038
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Is it possible for the SMART Rail to one day be extended up to Ukiah?
Old July 4th, 2015, 04:08 AM   #1039
jchernin

Quote:
Is it possible for the SMART Rail to one day be extended up to Ukiah?
Everything is possible, but I would say very unlikely. The rail line, AFASIK, is in extremely poor condition North of Cloverdale, with some sections washed out completely. Mendocino County is also very sparsely populated, and isn't part of the sales tax district. I think it's more likely they expand toward the city of Sonoma. The tourist draw is of course huge and there are existing tracks.

Of course, as of now, there isn't even enough money to complete the entire line to Cloverdale so any extensions beyond that are purely speculative.

Last edited by jchernin; July 4th, 2015 at 04:18 AM.
Old July 4th, 2015, 04:31 AM   #1040
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21227

How deep is the bay entrance and what is the likelihood of a sub-sea tunnel (like the BART tunnels to Oakland) to connect SMART with San Francisco?

Tags
bart, muni, sacramento, san francisco, smart