daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 28th, 2015, 08:34 AM   #1141
dimlys1994

Likes (Received): 26108

Silicon Valley BART extension update:

jchernin, will101, geometarkv liked this post
dimlys1994 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 2nd, 2015, 08:39 PM   #1142
jchernin

Likes (Received): 536

Quote:

Photo: Brant Ward / The Chronicle
A SMART employee ducks under the tracks in the service bay of the new SMART maintenance yard.
http://www.sfchronicle.com/bayarea/a...en-6477043.php
Old September 2nd, 2015, 10:45 PM   #1143
Huti
bitte spiel mir etwas

Likes (Received): 19976

those historical trams are simply gorgeous
Old September 2nd, 2015, 11:32 PM   #1144
Brystar27

Likes (Received): 18

I was in San Francisco in August of 2015 and i have to say i really love the system they have overthere its one of the best systems i have seen i rode on BART, MUNI Metro, MUNI F Market line, the powel and hyde cable car, a Ferry, Cal Train, also the Muni buses and Trolleybuses.

I have to say its a great system that San Francisco has and its fantastic its easy access for BART to the SFO airport.
Brystar27 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2015, 06:57 AM   #1145
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Likes (Received): 11243

Looks like BART is heeding the call of thousands of commuters (including yours truly) to add more service... from the San Jose Mercury News:

BART tackles crowded train problem

Starting 14 September, a new "limited-stop" service in the reverse peak direction (AM to East Bay, PM to San Francisco) will debut on the Pittsburg/Bay Point - SFO Airport line, which will mean faster service for commuters along the CA-24 and I-680 corridors.
Quote:
BART is coming to the rescue of worn-down riders who stand packed like sardines in stuffed commuter trains, but those headed the other way will find themselves waiting a little longer as they watch the relief cars whiz by without stopping.

Riders will see the difference on Monday and might want to check schedules ahead of time: Train times will be different.

The transit agency said Thursday that it is putting a record number of cars into service during rush hours and making other improvements during non-peak hours.

BART highlighted the changes in a news release:

- Rush hour trains added to Pittsburg/Bay Point to SFO line

- Richmond to Millbrae line direct weekday service extended to 9 p.m.

- Train cars added during rush hours to all other transbay routes

- More flexibility -- "show up and go" -- for the tram from the Coliseum Station to the Oakland Airport.
Read more here

San Carlos • San Bruno • San Mateo • Saint Helena • Ross
fieldsofdreams no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2015, 06:58 AM   #1146
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brystar27 View Post
I was in San Francisco in August of 2015 and i have to say i really love the system they have overthere its one of the best systems i have seen i rode on BART, MUNI Metro, MUNI F Market line, the powel and hyde cable car, a Ferry, Cal Train, also the Muni buses and Trolleybuses.

I have to say its a great system that San Francisco has and its fantastic its easy access for BART to the SFO airport.
I'm very glad you loved our network. But what you rode is just a small segment of a more robust (if not complicated) system that stretches far beyond the City and County of San Francisco.

Old September 11th, 2015, 07:36 AM   #1147
prageethSL

Likes (Received): 3033

Transbay Transit Center progress

https://twitter.com/TransbayCenter
Old September 16th, 2015, 06:24 PM   #1148
dimlys1994

From Railway Gazette:

Quote:
http://www.railwaygazette.com/news/n...od-grants.html

FTA announces TOD grants
16 Sep 2015

USA: The Federal Transit Administration announced grants totalling $19·5m from its Transit-Oriented Development Planning Pilot Program on September 14. The funding will go towards detailed planning in 17 metropolitan areas.

‘Transit-oriented development is critical to the success of new projects and to the economy of the local communities they serve’, said FTA Acting Administrator Therese McMillan.

Six of the 21 projects concern BRT corridors. The remaining 15 cover a mixture of urban rail modes

San Francisco BART will receive $1·1m to support TOD activities in San Francisco and Oakland. A further $600 000 is being spent on development of tools to plan for TOD and multimodal access improvements along the Caltrain commuter rail corridor between San Francisco and San Jose, with three station areas selected for more in-depth studies

Old September 20th, 2015, 05:57 AM   #1149
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Likes (Received): 17032

Visit the New Jersey Section
Nexis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2015, 06:24 AM   #1150
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
What are chances of a tram (streetcar) line being built along "El Camino Real" all the way from Milbrae to Santa Clara?
You already have competing service with Caltrain that does heavy rail, so a more proper solution for El Camino Real between Millbrae (actually, Daly City BART) and Santa Clara would be BRT since that major artery already gets frequent bus service with both SamTrans (San Mateo County) and the VTA (Santa Clara County).

Old September 22nd, 2015, 07:08 AM   #1151
jchernin

Quote:
Marin Voice: Report card on SMART’s busy summer

By: Judy Arnold

Friday, Sept. 18, 2015 - 11:27 a.m.

...At Sonoma-Marin Area Rail Transit, we had an exceptionally productive season, and are announcing a huge milestone: major reconstruction of the railroad for the first phase of operations is complete.

We've rebuilt 43 miles of track, four passing sidings, replaced 56 grade crossings, repaired 48 bridges and replaced two - the Novato Creek and Haystack bridges - with significant improvements.

We've brought the Puerto Suello tunnel to current seismic and safety standards, installed systems, signals and control houses along the entire project, and built a new Operations and Maintenance Facility to service and secure our fleet of state-of-the-art passenger railcars, as well as to house the system Control Center.

Another major achievement this summer was securing an $11 million state grant to purchase three "C" cars, which enable three-car trainsets for expanded bike and passenger capacity.

We are closely tracking $20 million in federal funds that was budgeted by President Barack Obama and fully appropriated by the House of Representatives for the SMART Larkspur extension.

We'll be the first service in the nation to start operations with Positive Train Control in place to monitor and enforce limits on train speeds and movements, and prevent train-to-train collisions. We've presented rail safety training to 80,000 kids and adults in person and at interactive community event booths.

What's next?

This month, we begin finishing work at our 10 stations. We've selected Clipper as our fare collection system, with refillable cards for purchase both online and at station platforms - which of course can also be used to complete your trip with most regional transit providers.

Commissioning of signals, systems and crossings has been ongoing.

In early 2016, we will begin the much-anticipated phase of on-track testing. Our modern trains will be visible from Highway 101 north of Novato as the rail cars, signals and wayside and central control systems are put through their paces in this first stage of integrated pre-service testing.

Marin County Supervisor Judy Arnold of Novato is chair of the Sonoma-Marin Area Rail Transit District board.
http://www.marinij.com/opinion/20150...ts-busy-summer
Old September 23rd, 2015, 05:59 PM   #1152
dimlys1994

Old September 25th, 2015, 04:27 AM   #1153
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

I don't know if anyone knows this... but here's what I saw from my recent adventure in Antioch.

Hillcrest E-BART Station under construction. Once completed, it will be the northernmost and easternmost station in the BART network.

Straddling along the center median of CA-4, Hillcrest Station in Antioch will be built similarly to its neighboring stations along the same highway, including:

- Pittsburg Center (CA-4 at Railroad Avenue)
- Pittsburg/Bay Point (current terminus for BART)

This station is directly connected to the current Hillcrest Park-and-Ride, in which multiple Tri-Delta Transit services operate through, with services as far west as Pittsburg/Bay Point BART and far southeast as Brentwood.

DSC09255 by Anthony Nachor, on Flickr

DSC09594 by Anthony Nachor, on Flickr

DSC09604 by Anthony Nachor, on Flickr

DSC09611 by Anthony Nachor, on Flickr

DSC09311 by Anthony Nachor, on Flickr

The first image is an image of the tracks being built along the middle of heavily-traveled CA-4 between Pittsburg and Antioch that is in concert with the Highway 4 Expansion Project being pursued by the MTC, Caltrans, BART, and Contra Costa County, among others.

Old September 26th, 2015, 05:20 AM   #1154
zaphod
PRESIDENT OF SPACE

Likes (Received): 1673

Could E-bart ever be upgraded to regular BART?

I know, track gauge and third rail and all that, but does the right of way and station clearances support a change?

seems like something that ought to be considered in the future. If they are going to go through so much trouble to build such expensive infrastructure why cheap out?

After I'm gone, your earth will be free to live out its miserable span of existence, as one of my satellites, and that's how it's going to be...

Bring me the continuum transfunctioner...

zaphod no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2015, 05:40 AM   #1155
FDW

Likes (Received): 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaphod View Post
Could E-bart ever be upgraded to regular BART?

I know, track gauge and third rail and all that, but does the right of way and station clearances support a change?

seems like something that ought to be considered in the future. If they are going to go through so much trouble to build such expensive infrastructure why cheap out?
Because BART's planners have always been idiots.
FDW no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2015, 05:00 PM   #1156
jchernin

"SMART Cars 103 & 104 made their first trip over the Haystack Bridge in Petaluma

Photo Credit: SMART Junior Engineer Jadine Otero"

https://m.facebook.com/sonomamarintr...pe=3&source=48
Old October 8th, 2015, 10:58 PM   #1157
jchernin

SMART crosses Haystack Bridge

More pics and info:

(pics Alvin Jornada / The Press Democrat)

Quote:
SMART marks first crossing on new Petaluma River bridge

BY DEREK MOORE
THE PRESS DEMOCRAT
October 7, 2015, 6:15PM

A Sonoma-Marin Area Rail Transit rail car crossed the Petaluma River for the first time Wednesday over a recently installed bridge, another major milestone in bringing passenger train service to the North Bay.

With train officials and SMART board member Jake Mackenzie looking over his shoulder, engineer Matt Shiffrar piloted the sleek two-car train toward the bridge near the Highway 101 overpass at Lakeville Highway. Once on the span, Shiffrar laid on the horn as cheers erupted from the cabin.

Mackenzie predicted “hundreds of thousands” of train passengers will make the same journey in the future.

Next week, work will begin on building platforms and installing ticket machines at rail stations, starting at the San Rafael site.

Engineers will be conducting high-speed tests of the rail cars on a section of track north of the Redwood Landfill in Novato, ahead of what is expected to be a full test run of the passenger line starting next summer. The 80-ton commuter trains are set to reach top speeds of 79 mph outside of cities, and SMART officials said the service is still on track to make its debut to the public late next year.

The Petaluma River bridge replacement was one of the largest single infrastructure projects for SMART in its bid to overhaul more than 42 miles of railroad in Sonoma and Marin counties. The $4.2 million replacement span, after being dismantled in Galveston, Tex., was brought by rail to the Bay Area and mostly re-assembled at Mare Island.

Farhad Mansourian, the rail authority’s general manager, said board members initially thought train planners were “crazy” for wanting to replace the existing Haystack Bridge with another one brought in from halfway across the country.

SMART is planning to operate seven two-car units along the route. The slope-nosed cars, called Diesel Multiple Units, run in pairs, with the ability to have a third car added in between to increase capacity. Each car has 79 seats, with standing room available for about 80 people. The cars also feature space for bicycles, Wi-Fi service and, in some cases, snack and beverage bars.

While SMART remains on track to debut service next year, funding for a planned link from downtown San Rafael to the Larkspur ferry terminal still is in doubt. A congressional feud over a federal road and highway spending bill threatens $20 million the rail agency is seeking for the project.

Mansourian on Wednesday remained confident the funding will be approved.

“In the unlikely event we don’t get the funding this year, there’s always next year,” he said. “But I feel confident we’ll be in good shape.”

You can reach Staff Writer Derek Moore at 521-5336 or [email protected]. On Twitter @deadlinederek.
http://www.pressdemocrat.com/news/45...allery=4587515

MarshallKnight, austrian, dimlys1994 liked this post
jchernin no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2015, 06:50 AM   #1158
moon993

Likes (Received): 34

Quote:
BART pushes back opening of Warm Springs Station to next year
It was expected to be open by the end of this year, but now BART’s long-awaited 5.4 mile addition from the Fremont line to Warm Springs has been pushed back because testing is taking longer than expected.

BART officials said the South Fremont/Warm Springs station won't open until sometime next year. It will be after the first quarter when they know for sure.

Sky Fox was overhead the $890 million expansion project as crews put the finishing touches on Wednesday. One of the highlights includes a tunnel that'll run underneath Lake Elizabeth.
94 percent of the contract is said to be complete. While it's on track with budget, BART won’t meet the expected December finish date.

“It’s very hard to know exactly when you are going to open because it all comes down to testing, “said BART Spokeswoman Alicia Trost. “You can be on time with building which is what we are. If you hit a snag or testing is taking a little bit longer than they are supposed to you have to troubleshoot it, then you have a bit of a delay which is what we are in now.”

Trost said the critical testing phase is hard to predict given officials must conduct thousands of tests from the automatic train control, communications to the traction power systems.

Right now, BART is testing with dummy trains, and then actual BART trains will be brought in. After that, the Public Utilities Commission will need to give its approval before it opens.

“We don't have an idea yet,” said Trost. “We know the first quarter of next year we will be able to provide a clearer date so everyone that's anticipating the new station will get a better idea.”

“I was really hoping that the Warm Springs one would be open,” said Rolio Escalada of Santa Clara
http://www.ktvu.com/news/31063256-story

dimlys1994 liked this post
moon993 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2015, 11:50 PM   #1159
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Likes (Received): 17032

The Ten Most Scenic Muni Lines

http://sfist.com/2015/10/08/the_ten_...muni_lines.php
Visit the New Jersey Section

Nexis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2015, 07:43 PM   #1160
jchernin

Quote:
SMART begins testing trains in Novato

SMART conductor DeAndre Bess makes a test run of a train on Tuesday north of Novato. Bess said “compared to a freight train — which is what I’m used to — this is like a sports car.” Robert Tong — Marin Independent Journal

A train runs near the Redwood landfill near Novato on Tuesday as SMART began testing the system. Robert Tong — Marin Independent Journal

By Mark Prado, Marin Independent Journal
Posted: 10/21/15, 9:00 PM PDT

SMART trains are rolling up and down a stretch of track in Novato this week as rails and cars are tested for the first time.

“This is significant,” said Matt Stevens, SMART spokesman, as he stood near new tracks near the landfill just before the train rolled in, its horn sounding...

Part of the testing involves training new train operators. DeAndre Bess sat at the controls this week as the train rolled smoothly down the track south, with Highway 101 to the right and wetlands to the left.

“Compared to a freight train — which is what I’m used to — this is like a sports car,” Bess said. “It accelerates faster and brakes faster. It feels lighter than a locomotive.”

The scene of the silver and green passenger trains in Marin drew curious glances from onlookers in cars on the freeway and from those who were in parking areas along the railway.

“Braking performance and acceleration performance are being looked at as well,” Stevens said.

To that end, engineers, including several from the manufacturer Sumitomo Corp. of America were on board monitoring computers that were fed data from the braking system to check operation in dry and wet conditions. Barrels on board filled with water were sent to the braking system via hoses to simulate rainy weather conditions.

“We test everything in and on the train,” Stevens said. “We make sure all the doors open, that the electrical switches work along with lights. Basically every mechanical function of the train has to work properly.”

The train cars’ interiors are completed. They feature restrooms, a snack area, several tables and upholstery in shades of green — sea foam and Kelly.

Each chair has a fold-down tray similar to those on airplanes and the seats recline as well. Electrical plugs are in each row against the wall and see-through overhead bins are available for storage.

SMART has three of the two-car train sets in its possession and four more are due. Service from San Rafael to Santa Rosa is set for late 2016. Marin SMART stops will include downtown San Rafael, the Marin Civic Center and stations in Novato at Hamilton and San Marin Drive/Atherton Avenue. There is also renewed discussion of having some service to downtown Novato, with the potential stop part of a $100,000 study. An extension to Larkspur soon after service begins could be put in if federal money comes through, officials said.

Speed is also being looked at during testing. Earlier this week, the train was kept at 25 mph. By Thursday, SMART hopes to ramp up to 50 mph. By next week the train could be tested at its allowed maximum: 79 mph.

That brought a warning from SMART chief Farhad Mansourian.

“This is an active railroad,” he said. “We are not only testing, but there is active freight operations on the tracks as well. Please obey signs and listen to the sounds. We can’t say it enough: safety, safety, safety.”
http://www.marinij.com/general-news/...ains-in-novato

TESTING VIDEOS, by Mike Prado
http://www.tout.com/m/v86lnm

http://www.tout.com/m/k9uphj

http://www.tout.com/m/0lqaxu

jchernin no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
bart, muni, sacramento, san francisco, smart