daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 27th, 2015, 05:15 AM   #1161
jchernin

Likes (Received): 536

Future Cotati SMART station + fog

Photo credit: me

Sponsored Links
Old October 28th, 2015, 12:48 PM   #1162
prageethSL

Likes (Received): 3034

Transbay Terminal bridge construction

Railway construction in San Francisco by Lars Plougmann, on Flickr

jchernin, dimlys1994, fieldsofdreams liked this post
prageethSL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2015, 06:53 AM   #1163
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Likes (Received): 17033

Some Recent Cable Car & Historic Trolley Photos from Matt Johnson

Cable Cars

IMG_7754
by Matt' Johnson, on Flickr

IMG_7764

IMG_7522

IMG_6891

IMG_6912

IMG_6928

Historic Streetcars

IMG_7182

IMG_7541

IMG_7555

IMG_7585

IMG_7599

IMG_7702
Visit the New Jersey Section

jchernin, dimlys1994, austrian liked this post
Nexis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2015, 12:00 AM   #1164
jchernin

The SMART Haystack Bridge is just finishing up
photo by me
jchernin no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2015, 01:58 AM   #1165
Nexis
Dark Wolf

How busy is the channel?
Old October 30th, 2015, 04:44 AM   #1166
jchernin

That particular channel is really small and doesn't really go anywhere. I'm taking the picture from a pathway on a narrow strip of land that has the Petaluma Marina on the other side.
Old October 30th, 2015, 05:19 PM   #1167
bighomey3000

Likes (Received): 90

What does San Francisco and the Bay Area do with its vast wealth? Why isn't there planning for another BART tunnel under the bay to Oakland, as the current will reach capacity by 2030? Where is the planning to build a line under Geary? Up Van Ness? Down 19th? Why is the Central Subway only going to Chinatown and when will it go to points North and West? Why will it take forever to build a line to San Jose and Santa Clara? SF needs to do better...it's pathetic to enter this thread and only see updates about SMART and eBART...

Last edited by bighomey3000; October 30th, 2015 at 06:17 PM.
bighomey3000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2015, 08:45 PM   #1168
MarshallKnight

Likes (Received): 3597

You're not wrong. SF in particular, and the Bay Area in general, is a political quagmire. Still, I was heartened to read this post from Scott Wiener, SF City Councilman and chair of the Board of Supervisors Land Use and Economic Development Committee (highlights below), which is a survey of where we stand, a proposal about what needs to come next, and a call to arms to get it done:

Quote:
A couple of years ago, I was with my friend Adam Cohn when he made this simple yet important declaration — “San Francisco should always have a subway under construction.” My first reaction was to think of every possible objection to the concept — too expensive, too disruptive, too controversial, too many difficulties siting subway stations and determining alignments. But, I quickly realized that the statement was both insightful and correct.

San Francisco is experiencing unprecedented growth. The city has 200,000 more people than in the early 1980s and 100,000 more than in the early 2000s. We are growing by about 10,000 people a year and are projected to add another 150,000 residents by 2040. We see the results of this growth on our streets every day, with more and more auto congestion and a harder time for our extensive bus network navigating the streets and meeting schedules. Indeed, Muni buses travel at the slowest average speed of any urban bus system in the country, at just over eight miles per hour on average.

San Francisco’s lack of extensive subways has significant negative impacts on our transportation system. Far too many San Franciscans who want to take transit find they cannot rely on it, since it simply takes too long on our gridlocked streets. It shouldn’t take longer to commute downtown from the Sunset or the Bayview than from the East Bay, yet it does.
Some of the projects Wiener highlights as the most critical

Quote:
The Central Subway is currently under construction, taking the T Third line underground at the Fourth and King Caltrain station and north to Chinatown. Building this new subway line is an extraordinary step forward. When the Central Subway opens, it will immediately become the highest ridership light rail line. When the Central Subway tunnel was bored, it was extended past Chinatown to North Beach. Once the subway is complete to Chinatown, we must not let inertia set in, and we need to quickly extend the line to North Beach. The City must acquire the site of the old Pagoda Theater in North Beach, where the tunnel ends, and build a station there. Muni has made many excuses for not acquiring the Pagoda Theater site, the cost of which is pixie dust in the overall Central Subway budget, not to mention Muni’s overall budget. Muni needs to develop a can-do attitude about this critical site acquisition. Ultimately, the Central Subway should be extended north to Fisherman’s Wharf, at which point its ridership will dwarf every other light rail line.

The downtown rail extension of Caltrain and High-Speed Rail, from Mission Bay to the future Transbay Transit Center, will be a critically important subway connecting southern San Francisco, San Mateo County, San Jose, and Los Angeles to our downtown. Recent conversations have focused on routing this extension along Third Street, which would significantly benefit the southeastern neighborhoods and ease traffic concerns around the future Warriors arena.

A second transbay tube, connecting the East Bay to Mission Bay, will address massive BART overcrowding, allow BART to run twenty-four hours, link Caltrain to the Capitol Corridor, and ultimately provide High-Speed Rail service to the East Bay and Sacramento. This important project will require significant investment and political will.

Proposal for second BART transbay tube (Source: Heller Manus Architects Credit: John Blanchard/The Chronicle)

Subway service to the west side of San Francisco is long overdue, will improve the quality of life of many residents, and will allow for increased housing production in a portion of the city that has not had enough transit access. Possibilities include a Geary Boulevard line, a 19th Avenue line, and a line through the Sunset.

Subway service to southeastern San Francisco is also overdue. This area — long neglected in terms of strong transit access — is at the heart of much of our future planned housing production. Faster and more reliable transit connectivity must accompany this development.
And a call to arms about what it will take to get these things done:

Quote:
Funding transit adequately at the local, state, and federal levels. We have a sorry history of defunding transit and allowing it to limp along. This problem isn’t unique to our region. We are starting to see change locally, and we need to continue that momentum here and extend it to Sacramento and Washington. After years of people raiding transit funds in San Francisco, a broad coalition of transit and environmental groups came together to demand better prioritization of transit investment. As a result, voters passed a ballot measure I authored to tie transit funding to population growth and the first transportation bond in a very long time. We are on the verge of passing legislation to require development to pay transit impact fees, and next year we will go to the ballot with a local vehicle license fee to fund transit and roads. Other counties are passing transportation revenue measures, and BART will go to the ballot in 2016 with a very significant and important infrastructure bond. The state is starting to think bigger in terms of transportation funding, and we need to make sure that this focus is permanent and not limited to road and highway investment. While Washington, DC, is a mess when it comes to transportation funding, with Congress incapable of passing more than short-term status quo extensions, the Republicans won’t control Congress forever. When the tides shift in Washington, we need to be prepared to force a radical transformation of how the federal government funds transit.

Making it easier and faster to approve transit projects. California requires significant process around big projects and even small ones. San Francisco has taken California’s focus on process to the next level. Even small projects here can take years and years to approve. Public process is important, and projects frequently are better with broad public participation and feedback. Yet, process should not go on forever. It’s not acceptable that the environmental process for the Geary and Van Ness Bus Rapid Transit projects took more than ten years each. Transit projects should receive efficient, expedited review, allowing for public input in a reasonable timeframe.

Engaging in a subway master planning process. I’m introducing legislation to require a master-planning process for subways in San Francisco. While our transit agencies are engaging in very strong planning around various aspects of our transportation system — and they deserve lots of credit for doing so — we need a long-term roadmap specific to subways so that we are constantly planning for the next subway project, rather than completing a project, only to enter into a period of political inertia.

Showing a willingness to think big. Transit projects are highly susceptible to small thinking. The most legendary example is BART. If you want to be thoroughly depressed, take a look at a map based on an early proposal for the BART system:

Old October 30th, 2015, 11:43 PM   #1169
FDW

Likes (Received): 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarshallKnight View Post
You're not wrong. SF in particular, and the Bay Area in general, is a political quagmire. Still, I was heartened to read this post from Scott Wiener, SF City Councilman and chair of the Board of Supervisors Land Use and Economic Development Committee (highlights below), which is a survey of where we stand, a proposal about what needs to come next, and a call to arms to get it done:

Some of the projects Wiener highlights as the most critical

And a call to arms about what it will take to get these things done:
I ******* hate that map.
FDW no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2015, 05:01 AM   #1170
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Should be less BART and more Electrified Suburban Railways mixed with Light Rail...
Old October 31st, 2015, 05:02 AM   #1171
FDW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis View Post
Should be less BART and more Electrified Suburban Railways mixed with Light Rail...
And much more in the SF/Oakland and less outside of it.
Old October 31st, 2015, 05:29 AM   #1172
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by FDW View Post
And much more in the SF/Oakland and less outside of it.
A Subway to the sea would be nice...maybe SF can do it before LA...

redspork02 liked this post
Old October 31st, 2015, 05:35 AM   #1173
FDW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis View Post
A Subway to the sea would be nice...maybe SF can do it before LA...
As I've stated before, I'd prefer the Geary Subway to turn south to Sunset Blvd just before the sea.
Old October 31st, 2015, 06:58 AM   #1174
jchernin

Quote:
As I've stated before, I'd prefer the Geary Subway to turn south to Sunset Blvd just before the sea.
I think I rather see a subway on 19th rather than Sunset.
Old October 31st, 2015, 08:16 AM   #1175
Tower Dude

Likes (Received): 593

Yes indeed!!

"Make no small plans they lack the magic to stir men's blood!" - Daniel Burnham

"The scale is Roman and will have to be sustained."
- Charles Follen McKim (In a letter to a friend concerning the design of Penn Station)
Tower Dude no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2015, 09:32 PM   #1176
FDW

Quote:
Originally Posted by jchernin View Post
19th Ave is one of the two most overrated corridors in the City (Along with Divisadero/Castro). There are two reasons why prefer Sunset: superior walk shed to stations, and it keeps a Geary Subway simpler.
Old November 1st, 2015, 06:08 AM   #1177
jchernin

Quote:
19th Ave is one of the two most overrated corridors in the City (Along with Divisadero/Castro). There are two reasons why prefer Sunset: superior walk shed to stations, and it keeps a Geary Subway simpler.
But Sunset doesn't even go North of Golden Gate Park, and the neighborhood there is relatively low density residential. 19th is where the heavier traffic is, and it can tie into the M Muni line.

Just my opinion, we can agree to disagree.
Old November 1st, 2015, 11:54 AM   #1178
FDW

Quote:
But Sunset doesn't even go North of Golden Gate Park, and the neighborhood there is relatively low density residential. 19th is where the heavier traffic is, and it can tie into the M Muni line.

Whether the street goes north of GGP is irrelevant, since were talking about a subway here. (and I'd rather serve Outer Balboa, where there is shit, rather the no-mans-lands of the La Playa safeway and Ft.Miley.)

And 90% of traffic related MUNI problems on 19th Ave can be dealt with by moving the buses a block over.
Old November 3rd, 2015, 05:31 PM   #1179
dimlys1994

Likes (Received): 26116

More on Central Subway project:

dimlys1994 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2015, 06:14 PM   #1180
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Likes (Received): 11243

Quote:

If we use Sunset, here's how I might do it:

- Use the existing Geary Subway line (underground), let it turn at around 33rd Ave or earlier as a diagonal, run under Golden Gate Park, and turn onto the Sunset. Terminate the line close to Lake Merced, if not go all the way to Parkmerced (west side)
- Using the current N-Judah alignment, create a light rail line that runs along Sunset and terminate it close to Lake Merced.

The main sticking points in either case include:

- The overpass at Sloat & Sunset
- Lake Merced itself and the ring road (Lake Merced Boulevard)

That line will effectively shorten the 29-Sunset as well as better integrate other nearby lines, including:

- 7-Haight/Noriega (and its partner, the 7X)
- 18-46th Avenue
- 48-Quintara/24th Street
- 57-Parkmerced
- 66-Quintara

And, if we integrate it with the Geary Subway:

- 5-Fulton (and its partner, 5R)
- 31-Balboa
- 38-Geary (and its partner, 38R)

Quote:
Whether the street goes north of GGP is irrelevant, since were talking about a subway here. (and I'd rather serve Outer Balboa, where there is shit, rather the no-mans-lands of the La Playa safeway and Ft.Miley.)

And 90% of traffic related MUNI problems on 19th Ave can be dealt with by moving the buses a block over.
That's not possible. Park Presidio Boulevard connects with 19th Avenue at Golden Gate Park. Unless you want to shift the traffic towards 8th Ave (with the 44) or 25th Ave (with the 29), it is highly improbable that you can shift the 28 towards either Funston or any of the numbered avenues without readjusting left turns, which can cause immense backtracking and increased congestion. A much better solution would be to expand the 28R service to become all-day, as well as (and I know this will be unpopular with the ADA) increasing stop spacing from every block to every 2 blocks to improve reliability and on-time performance, and collaboration with the Golden Gate Bridge, Highway, and Transportation Authority to figure out a way on how the corridor can serve the bridge with articulated (especially on the 28R).

I frequently ride the 28 and 28R, so you can ask me all about it.

Quote:
But 19th Avenue gets to see 24-hour service with 28/28R in the daytime and 91 during the overnight (as far as SF State). That gives us an impression that it is a better corridor to have a Muni Metro service underground, and it can easily link up with the M at Stonestown.

Quote:
Sure thing. I agree with you. Do you think though that it should be a branch of the Geary Line?

San Carlos • San Bruno • San Mateo • Saint Helena • Ross
fieldsofdreams no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
bart, muni, sacramento, san francisco, smart