daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 29th, 2008, 06:52 AM   #101
quashlo

Likes (Received): 2724

Eh. I wish they'd quit trying to trick out BART with all the fancy add-ons and get serious about actually moving people from point A to point B. When are we going to see express service? How about monthly passes? I can guarantee those would attract way more people than free Wi-fi service ever will.
quashlo no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 29th, 2008, 10:36 AM   #102
G5man
High Speed Rail fan

Likes (Received): 32

That is what I wish with many light rail and metro systems are express services from individual fare zones into the heart of the major city. Wi-fi service on a metro I do not believe is viable since you do not have the comfort of for say a commuter rail train where you have tables and power ports. Also, metro trips are typically shorter so there is no need to connect.
G5man no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2008, 01:22 AM   #103
serdar samanlı

Likes (Received): 15

Are there any other cities that operate cable trams?
serdar samanlı no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2008, 11:01 AM   #104
Dugommier
Penisless

Likes (Received): 318

Official route map by SFCablecar.com

Old November 1st, 2008, 06:16 PM   #105
salaverryo
BANNED

Likes (Received): 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by serdar samanlı View Post
Not in the USA.
salaverryo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2008, 06:40 PM   #106
quashlo

Likes (Received): 2724

^There are several other systems that use similar cable traction, but as far as I know, San Francisco is the only system where the vehicles actually run in mixed traffic on the street.
quashlo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2008, 10:56 PM   #107
EricIsHim

Likes (Received): 26

Quote:
The Peak Tram in Hong Kong.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
EricIsHim no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2008, 12:36 AM   #108
Coccodrillo

Likes (Received): 669

this one in a normal funicular, as there are hundreds in the world.

Quote:
There were other systems, very similar to San Francisco, but all have been closed half a centrury ago.

für Güter die Bahn ~ pour vos marchandises le rail ~ chi dice merci dice ferrovia
Coccodrillo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2008, 01:18 AM   #109
panowilly
Panoramic Photographer

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by quashlo View Post
The Powell-Hyde and Powell-Mason cable cars are used primarily by tourists, although in a car holding 40-50 people, it is typical to have about 10 locals per car who are headed to and from the Nob Hill and Russian Hill areas. These areas don't have great alternative service to and from Union Square, so the cable car does fill in a valuable (albeit small) niche in the transport network. The monthly pass for Muni is accepted on the cable cars without an extra charge, so the high fares are not a problem for residents.

The California cable car is used more often by locals than the Powell lines and offers an alternative to the often-crowded 1-California trolley bus line one block away. It also doesn't carry as many tourists because it doesn't go where tourists want to go.

The F-line historic streetcars on Market Street are used extensively by both tourists and locals alike. Daily ridership is about 20,000 or so, higher during the summer tourist season.
in 2007 I have made some interactive panoramas of the inside and outside of the (California St.) cable car. You can clearly see these are not all tourists ( you can move the "picture" with your mouse in any direction 360 degrees around and +/-90 degrees up and down )
panowilly no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2008, 01:25 AM   #110
panowilly
Panoramic Photographer

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkskyline View Post
These cable cars are more geared towards tourists as a single ticket is very expensive. The historic streetcars ply both tourist and local areas.
here a few interactive panoramas made by me in 2007, showing two types of streetcars used in San Francisco:

PCC from the late 1940th (outside view)

PCC inside view

Inside view of used one from Italy

you can move the "picture" with your mouse in any direction! !
panowilly no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2010, 08:02 AM   #111
FDW

Likes (Received): 30

SAN FRANCISCO BAY AREA | Public Transport

Okay, since there seems to be a need for this, I shall make a thread dedicated not just to San Francisco, but also San Jose and Oakland. So here we go, First up:

Look Ma, the bus is only 10 minutes late this time, I think it's a record!

SAN FRANCISCO MUNICIPAL RAILWAY* * which is neither municipal or really much of a railway anymore

Began service: 1912
Ridership: 700,000 daily
Service area: All of the City of San Francisco (And nothing else*)
Routes: 80

Near future Route Map.

Rail Lines (Not including Cable Cars or shuttle services): 6
Trolleybus Routes: 14
Trolleybus fleet: 333 (240 40ft buses, 93 60ft buses)
Light Rail fleet: 151 LRV's+50 Historic trolley's

MUNI (As us San Franciscans call it) was the first publicly owned transit system in the United States, but that's not important, what is important is that MUNI is the largest transit agency in Northern California (in terms of ridership), it operates the largest Light Rail (Tram) network in the united states (71 route miles, or 115 route km), the Largest Trolleybus network (by fleet size) in the United States (And second largest in the Western Hemisphere, after mexico city), and then of course there are the Cable Cars.

Those f**king Cable Cars

This route, this bus, and this parking lot no longer exist.

The oldest part of the trolleybus network, and that wall hasn't had it easy.

It's Electric!

The Balboa dip

The big boy's, we got 93 electric, 137 diesel.

Top o' the hill, the southern end of the Trolleybus network.

And one last one of the ETB's

These have always played second-fiddle to the other diesel buses

These don't get used much because of their age.

San Francisco's most dominant Diesel bus

And another one.

MUNI's newest buses.

I've run out of snarky things to say.

Short buses for routes with lower ridership

This bus line is one the most heavily used routes west of the Mississippi river.

This route doesn't exist anymore.

Embarcadero Station, Market st Subway

Montgomery Station, Market st Subway

Powell st Station, Market st Subway

MUNI doesn't run these LRV's anymore, nor do they run trains in 3 car formation either. BTW, this is Civic Center, Market st Subway.

Well, this is a rare sight. Van Ness, Market st Subway.

Church, Market St. Subway.

Castro, Market St. Subway. (Note the curved platform.)

Forest Hill, Twin Peaks Tunnel. (Oldest Subway on the West Coast.)

West Portal, Twin Peaks Tunnel

Southern Embarcadero, Near AT&T park.

4th/King. Terminal for the N train (the T continues further South)

T-third, Southern Terminal

N-Judah, 9th/Judah

M-Ocean View, SF State University

L-Taraval,Zoo Terminal

K-Ingleside, Ocean/Lee

J-Church, Dolores Park

Balboa Park Terminal. (also site of Green Yard and Geneva Yard.)

Metro East Maintenance Facility. (MUNI's other big rail yard.)

MUNI "Torpedo" PCC (for use on F-Line)

MUNI Ex-SEPTA PCC (for use on F-Line)

MUNI Ex-Newark City Subway (for use on F-Line)

MUNI Ex-Milan Peter Witt in Orange (In Geneva Yard)

MUNI Ex-Milan Peter Witt in Yellow/White (Castro Terminal)

MUNI Ex-Milan Peter Witt in two tone Green (Ferry Building)

MUNI No.1 (MUNI's first streetcar)

Blackpool Boat Tram (At Jones st Terminal at Fisherman's Wharf.)

Ex-Melbourne W2

Ex-Kobe/Hiroshima tram

Oldest streetcar currently owned by a US transit agency.

Ex-New Orleans Perley Thomas

SF "Baby Ten" PCC 1040 (Last streetcar made in US until Oregon Ironworks 015 in 2009)

Ex-Kansas City/Toronto PCC (The one in front, painted Red and Cream)

Ex-St Louis PCC

Thank you reading this. I plan for this thread to cover all of the Transportation agencies of Northern California, and I will continue making that possible tomorrow when I post the info about the BART system. (Which will be followed by AC Transit and Golden Gate Transit later this week.)

geometarkv, mrsmartman liked this post

Last edited by deasine; October 11th, 2010 at 09:06 AM.
FDW no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2010, 09:07 AM   #112
deasine
=)

Likes (Received): 54

Going to just rename this to San Francisco & Bay Area as I think it would be more appropriate. Great thread... and perfect timing when I'm just beginning to study and learn more about San Francisco's MUNI Metro & Bus system. Please... keep 'em photos coming!
deasine no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2010, 11:00 AM   #113
FDW

Quote:
Originally Posted by deasine View Post
Going to just rename this to San Francisco & Bay Area as I think it would be more appropriate. Great thread... and perfect timing when I'm just beginning to study and learn more about San Francisco's MUNI Metro & Bus system. Please... keep 'em photos coming!
Can I still Sacramento in this though? It's connected to the Bay Area Network via two Commuter Rail lines, so I thought it would be appropriate to use Northern California in stead.
Old October 11th, 2010, 11:29 AM   #114
deasine
=)

Likes (Received): 54

Done. Just more hesitant on calling it Northern California, as people generally know areas by city, rather than relative geography.

Last edited by deasine; October 11th, 2010 at 12:09 PM.
deasine no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2010, 04:02 PM   #115
JustinB

Likes (Received): 27

The picture of the PCC in the subway is a gem. I would pay just to ride a PCC through the tunnel!

The last time, I visited San Francisco, I remember seeing a rather weather-worn Boeing LRV sitting in a yard just outside the Duboce Portal. This was in 2006. Is it still there?
Old October 11th, 2010, 06:51 PM   #116
Falubaz

Likes (Received): 1758

My pics from visit in SF last winter (febr.2010)

MUNI - LRT

[IMG]http://i51.************/2gx4niq.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i52.************/ml2f4j.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i56.************/20jpq8h.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i55.************/j5a05e.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i55.************/141uxjb.jpg[/IMG]

₪₪₪
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
₪₪₪
₪₪₪
₪₪₪
₪₪₪

₪₪₪
₪₪₪

geometarkv liked this post
Falubaz está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2010, 07:07 PM   #117
Falubaz

Likes (Received): 1758

Part II.

[IMG]http://i53.************/21l616f.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i55.************/671pmt.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i54.************/15wasqu.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i52.************/2h2fakz.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i53.************/jtmj2w.jpg[/IMG]

I think the Muni metro could be more independent from the road trafic outside downtown. On the overground sections its a bit slow.
Plus: it would do a lot if they would build the tunnel under Stockton and Columbus bond to Fort Mason and continue under Van Ness bond to Market.

₪₪₪
₪₪₪
₪₪₪
₪₪₪
₪₪₪

₪₪₪
₪₪₪

Falubaz está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2010, 09:03 PM   #118
FDW

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinB View Post
The picture of the PCC in the subway is a gem. I would pay just to ride a PCC through the tunnel!

The last time, I visited San Francisco, I remember seeing a rather weather-worn Boeing LRV sitting in a yard just outside the Duboce Portal. This was in 2006. Is it still there?
The PCC's in San Francisco normally can't be used in the Tunnel because of the different overhead and the fact that the Platforms are High floor (And Center oriented in the stations Van Ness and Eastward.)

Ah yes, that. I haven't been out in that part of town in a while, but I think it's still there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falubaz View Post
I think the Muni metro could be more independent from the road trafic outside downtown. On the overground sections its a bit slow. Plus: it would do a lot if they would build the tunnel under Stockton and Columbus bond to Fort Mason and continue under Van Ness bond to Market.
You can blame motorists in the 1970's for the reason why MUNI lacks ROW on many of it's overground sections. (They created a ROW on Judah st between 9th and 19th Ave, motorists complained a lot, and the rest is history, though there are other significant areas of overground ROW on the system, particularly on 3rd St and the Embarcadero) As for the Subway on Stockton, that should open in 2018 up to chinatown, and after that there will be a third phase (still in the general proposal stage) that will take it to Fisherman's wharf via Columbus. Van Ness on the hand has a BRT line (with ROW) planned for it in the near future, in the long term a BART line is planned to go up Van Ness (That will be a part of the Second Transbay Line).
Old October 12th, 2010, 04:18 AM   #119
FDW

Okay here we go:

Only focus on the Blue Lines, that's all that matters.

BAY AREA RAPID TRANSIT

BART is the second largest transit agency in Northern California (By Ridership) and was the first modern Rapid Transit system built in the United States, and is run by a bunch of ******* morons.

Began serivce: 1972
Daily Ridership: 350,000
Stations: 43 (two more under construction)
Lines: 5 (2 lines have limited service hours)
Fleet Size: 669 cars (can be arranged into 223 3-car trains or 166 4-car trains or 133 5-car trains or 111 6-car trains or 83 8-car trains or 74 9-car trains or 66 10-car trains.)
System Length: 104 mi (167 km)

Macarthur station, arguably the system's central station. (even though there are some busier stations in San Francisco)

19th st/Oakland station. (the two D.T. Oakland stations are unusual in that they have two tracks on the upper level and just one on the lower level.)

12th St/Oakland station. (Most of the original BART stops were designed in pairs, so don't be surprised if you see similar motifs at two different stops.)

Lake Merritt station, where BART's HQ is located.

Southern portal of the D.T Oakland subway. (The Steam train is not a regular occurrence.)

Fruitvale station. (First of the Elevated stops on this branch.)

Coliseum station. (Close proximity to the Oakland Coliseum and the Oakland Arena.)

San Leandro station.

Bayfair station. (Named for the nearby shopping mall.)

BART test car. (from before the system opened.)

Hayward station. (during it's early days.)

Hayward Yard.

South Hayward station.

Union City station.

Fremont station. (Southernmost part of the system and Terminal.)

Castro Valley station. (part of the Newest East Bay branch.)

West Dublin station. (BART's first infill stop, still under construction, due to open in 2011, connects to a shopping mall.)

(East)Dublin/Pleasanton. (Easternmost part of the system and Terminal.)

MLK way, north of Macarthur.

Ashby station. (This station was originally, along with the rest of the Berkeley segment going to be above ground, until Berkley decided to put the line underground, BART then planned the station to be below grade but still open air until the city of Berkeley made BART cover the station.)

UC Berkeley station.

North Berkley station.

El Cerrito Plaza station.

El Cerrito Del Norte station. (The main transfer center for bus services going into Solano and Napa counties, in addition to NW Contra Costa county and over the Richmond-San Rafael Bridge to Marin County.)

Richmond station. (Direct Transfer to Amtrak and Terminal.)

Richmond yard.

Rockridge station.

Orinda station.

Lafayette station.

Walnut Creek station.

Pleasant Hill station.

Concord Yard. (Those trains really need to be cleaned more often.)

BART test car.

Concord station.

North Concord/Martinez station. (This station is nowhere near Martinez.)

Pittsburg/Bay Point station. (Northernmost station, Terminal.)

West Oakland station.

Embarcadero station. (Last of the Original 34 stations to open, in 1976, after this no BART station would open until 1995, when the N.Concord/Martinez station opened.)

Montgomery station. (Busiest station in the system.)

Powell St. station. (Transfer to Cable Cars here, in addition to Union Square and the San Francisco Center, a major shopping mall.)

Civic Center station. (This station, and three previous, (Embaradero, Montgomery, Powell St.) all connect to the MUNI metro system, which is right upstairs from the BART station.)

16th St/Mission station.

24th St/Mission station.

Glen Park station.

Balboa Park station.

Balboa Park station (Transfer to MUNI metro, and several other busy bus lines.)

Alemany Blvd.

Daly City station. (Original BART terminal on Peninsula until 1996,still terminus for some BART services, Transfer to Sam Trans (San Mateo County Bus services), Westernmost BART station.)

Colma station. (BART peninsula terminus 1996-2003. Right by one of the world's largest Necropolises.)

Colma Yard. (BART newest Rail Yard, built in the late 80's.)

South San Francisco station. (Not actually in the City of San Francisco, South San Francisco is separate city.)

San Bruno station. (connects to another shopping mall.)

San Francisco International Airport station. (Connects directly to the International terminal, you can also transfer to the Air Train upstairs to acess other terminals.)

San Francisco International Airport station. (Air Train transfer level.)

Millbrae station. (Terminal, transfer to Caltrain)

Future BART trains. (To replace existing fleet in the next 10 years.)

That is all for today. Up next is AC transit, followed by Golden Gate Transit/SMART and Samtrans/Caltrain.

Old October 12th, 2010, 08:51 AM   #120
mopc
USP

Likes (Received): 9364

Excellent thread, just a minor thing, Sacramento is misspelled in the title

- full updates of all projects on first page!

-
-
-

-
mopc no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
bart, muni, sacramento, san francisco, smart