daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 3rd, 2015, 08:12 PM   #1181
FDW

Likes (Received): 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldsofdreams View Post
=
That's not possible. Park Presidio Boulevard connects with 19th Avenue at Golden Gate Park. Unless you want to shift the traffic towards 8th Ave (with the 44) or 25th Ave (with the 29), it is highly improbable that you can shift the 28 towards either Funston or any of the numbered avenues without readjusting left turns, which can cause immense backtracking and increased congestion. A much better solution would be to expand the 28R service to become all-day, as well as (and I know this will be unpopular with the ADA) increasing stop spacing from every block to every 2 blocks to improve reliability and on-time performance, and collaboration with the Golden Gate Bridge, Highway, and Transportation Authority to figure out a way on how the corridor can serve the bridge with articulated (especially on the 28R).
I'm talking about moving the Bus a block west to 20th Ave. You can easily connect 20th Ave with Transverse Dr. (though it means you connect to 25th Ave instead of Park Presidio, though that's fine because 25th doesn't have as much traffic.

Quote:
But 19th Avenue gets to see 24-hour service with 28/28R in the daytime and 91 during the overnight (as far as SF State). That gives us an impression that it is a better corridor to have a Muni Metro service underground, and it can easily link up with the M at Stonestown.
The 28/28R doesn't have that much more ridership than the 29 despite having better frequency than it.
FDW no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 5th, 2015, 11:05 PM   #1182
jchernin

Likes (Received): 536

Putting the a pedal down on SMART

Putting the pedal down on SMART

Edit: "Nana-ju nana" is 77 in Japanese, which is how fast (mph) the train is going.

Last edited by jchernin; November 5th, 2015 at 11:14 PM.
jchernin no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2015, 12:05 AM   #1183
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Likes (Received): 11243

Quote:
Originally Posted by FDW View Post
I'm talking about moving the Bus a block west to 20th Ave. You can easily connect 20th Ave with Transverse Dr. (though it means you connect to 25th Ave instead of Park Presidio, though that's fine because 25th doesn't have as much traffic.
What part of 20th Avenue are you referring to? There's no direct connection with 20th Ave at Stern Grove... Let me draw up a map of your idea and see where the sticking points are.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FDW View Post
The 28/28R doesn't have that much more ridership than the 29 despite having better frequency than it.
But remember that 28/28R is more than just a bus corridor; it runs alongside an active California State Route to boot (CA-1) which traverses the City between the Golden Gate Bridge and I-280 (close to Daly City BART). Not to mention, if you were to think about it, it is a mixed-use, medium- to high-density corridor that attracts a lot of businesses since it is on the road to San Mateo and Marin Counties, as well as a path to and from San Francisco International Airport and beyond. So the 28/28R plays a critical crosstown service to the western part of the City that connects residents from at least three counties (San Mateo, SF, and Marin) to multiple key destinations.

San Carlos • San Bruno • San Mateo • Saint Helena • Ross
fieldsofdreams no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2015, 03:07 AM   #1184
FDW

Quote:
What part of 20th Avenue are you referring to? There's no direct connection with 20th Ave at Stern Grove... Let me draw up a map of your idea and see where the sticking points are.
There's no connection between 20th and Transverse right, but relatively speaking, there isn't that much that would prevent a connection from being built.

Quote:
But remember that 28/28R is more than just a bus corridor; it runs alongside an active California State Route to boot (CA-1) which traverses the City between the Golden Gate Bridge and I-280 (close to Daly City BART). Not to mention, if you were to think about it, it is a mixed-use, medium- to high-density corridor that attracts a lot of businesses since it is on the road to San Mateo and Marin Counties, as well as a path to and from San Francisco International Airport and beyond. So the 28/28R plays a critical crosstown service to the western part of the City that connects residents from at least three counties (San Mateo, SF, and Marin) to multiple key destinations.
I acknowledge that, but one of my main gripes is that BART on 19th, especially south of Sloat, gets in the way of MUNI improvements in that area. Given that I would want to turn the L and N into crosstown lines, BART on Sunset would ensure that people further west also get to come out ahead here.
Old November 6th, 2015, 04:37 AM   #1185
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

The only possible way to use 20th Avenue would be the section between Lincoln Way and Wawona Street, especially that it goes through and through with only stop signs along the way. The challenge would be modifying a no-left-turn at Wawona (from 19th Avenue NB) to become transit-only left turn... Not only it will add more time on the already crowded 19th Ave corridor, but it will also confuse riders as the bus will meander one block to the west just to avoid the jams along 19th.

As for 20th between Sloat and Winston, you know that the next possible left turn from Sloat after 19th Avenue would be 21st Avenue going west? Unless you wanna do a loop that goes Sloat > 21st > Ocean > 20th, that again would mean additional time on an already-busy line.

Old November 7th, 2015, 11:45 AM   #1186
FDW

Quote:
The only possible way to use 20th Avenue would be the section between Lincoln Way and Wawona Street, especially that it goes through and through with only stop signs along the way. The challenge would be modifying a no-left-turn at Wawona (from 19th Avenue NB) to become transit-only left turn... Not only it will add more time on the already crowded 19th Ave corridor, but it will also confuse riders as the bus will meander one block to the west just to avoid the jams along 19th.
You're completely misunderstanding what I'm saying. I'm talking about the North end of 20th Ave near Golden Gate Park. A short, but completely level and open pedestrian path separates Transverse Drive in Golden Gate Park from the North end of 20th Ave (Look this shit up in Google Maps).

And avoiding the traffic jams on 19th is a good thing, it makes the trip faster, it saves precious service hours that could enable more badly needed frequency on the corridor.

Quote:
As for 20th between Sloat and Winston, you know that the next possible left turn from Sloat after 19th Avenue would be 21st Avenue going west? Unless you wanna do a loop that goes Sloat > 21st > Ocean > 20th, that again would mean additional time on an already-busy line.
Actually, I was just considering having the 28 stay on 19th south of Wawona, but having it cut back over to 20th at Sloat is actually a good idea, since I would want to terminate the 28 at the new Stonestown station.

Last edited by FDW; November 7th, 2015 at 11:55 AM.
Old November 7th, 2015, 02:50 PM   #1187
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Likes (Received): 17032

Second Quarter 2015 Ridership numbers for San Francisco-Bay Area

Heavy Rail
San Francisco / BART - 452,900 (2015) : 3.58% +

Light Rail
San Francisco / Muni Metro - 179,200 (2015) : 6.84% +
San Jose / VTA LRT - 33,600 (2015) : -2.04%

Streetcar
San Francisco / Cable cars - 20,200 (2014) : 2.00% +

Trolley Bus
San Francisco / Muni - 176,800 (2015) : 0.70% +

Bus Ridership
San Francisco / Muni - 300,700 (2015) : -4.98%
Oakland / AC Bus - 180,200 (2015) : -0.89%
San Jose / SCV Bus - 110,900 (2015) : 2.27% +
San Carlos / San Mateo County Tran Dist - 42,700 (2015) : 1.03% +
Vallejo / Solano County Transit (SolTrans) - 4,200 (2015) : 8.05% +

Suburban/Regional/Commuter Rail
Bay Area / Caltrain - 61,200 (2015) : 6.46% +
San Jose-Stockton / ACE - 4,900 (2015) : 3.09% +

Ferries
San Francisco / Golden Gate Bridge, Hwy & TD - 8,700 (2015) : 4.94% +
San Francisco / Water Emergency Tr Auth - 7,700 (2015) : 11.56% +
Visit the New Jersey Section

dimlys1994, fieldsofdreams liked this post
Nexis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2015, 04:45 PM   #1188
dimlys1994

Likes (Received): 26107

From Rail Journal:

Quote:
http://www.railjournal.com/index.php...ml?channel=535

First Bart Fleet of the Future cars almost ready
Tuesday, November 17, 2015

SAN FRANCISCO Bay Area Rapid Transit (Bart) announced on November 16 that the first of 775 Fleet of the Future metro cars is nearing completion at Bombardier's Plattsburgh plant in New York state and will be dispatched by road to California next month

By the end of this year Bombardier is due to deliver 10 pre-series vehicles, which will initially be validated on Bart's test track at Hayward, California, before undergoing an 18-month programme of trials on the Bart network. The cars are expected to enter passenger service in December 2016

dimlys1994 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2015, 07:15 PM   #1189
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Saw that on my email alert yesterday.

And speaking of BART, today's morning commute has been hampered by single-tracking between Fruitvale and Coliseum/Oakland Airport Stations right now due to track issues. As a result, a very limited number of Fremont and Dublin/Pleasanton-bound trains operate through that section, with delays of up to 20 minutes, if not more.

Interestingly, that section of track was recently rehabilitated, in which miles of track and hundreds of supports have been replaced as it has been in service since BART started more than 40 years ago.

Source

dimlys1994 liked this post
Old November 25th, 2015, 06:50 AM   #1190
dimlys1994

Likes (Received): 26107

phoenixboi08 liked this post
dimlys1994 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2015, 09:38 AM   #1191
FDW

MUNI's ordering more new buses: 152 40-footers, 113 Artics. These will join 160 40-footer and 60 Artic Xcelsiors. I hope MUNI preferentially retires the 40-footer Neoplans, that way we can get the 224 Artic fleet sooner rather than later.
Old December 13th, 2015, 12:18 AM   #1192
moon993

Testing has already begun for the Warm Springs Bart extension.

More images at https://picasaweb.google.com/1107993...eat=directlink

Last edited by moon993; December 13th, 2015 at 12:24 AM.
moon993 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2015, 01:46 AM   #1193
00Zy99

Likes (Received): 1506

Given that these two extensions combined give about 15 miles of new track, what kind of travel times are we looking at from Richmond or downtown San Francisco? It's something 38-39 miles now, right? Could it be about an hour, then?

What does this mean when the second stage of the Silicon Valley extension is complete, that BART will compete with Caltrain?
00Zy99 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2015, 01:04 AM   #1194
FDW

Golden Gate just launched Route 580 between Emeryville and San Rafael. Along with this change, they've gone through with a much needed consolidation of Routes 42 and 40. the new Route 40 now 30-minute base frequency on weekdays, with 15-minute service in the peak, peak direction. While this is better than before, I think that the 580 should be consolidated into the 40 as well, to further simplify things, and allow for a broader period of 15 minute service on the new 40.
Old December 15th, 2015, 02:13 AM   #1195
zidar fr

Likes (Received): 625

Hi everybody, I built a map of the Bay Area transit systems trying to show an overall picture of the region connections. It was not easy to work on such a scale, an urban area that is spread on a regional scale.

The map shows:

- Rail networks: BART, Caltrain (with baby bullet service), ACE and Amtrak (+thruway buses)

- Light rail: Muni Metro, VTA light Rail

- Ferries

- Cross bay Bus: Dumbarton Express, U and M

- Airport connections

There is an enlarged view of San Francisco in the circle bottom left.

I am not very familiar with the area and would very much like to hear your comments and suggestions for improving the map. Are there other relevant systems/routes that should be added ?

Full resolution map:
http://www.inat.fr/metro/san-francisco-bay-area/

Last edited by zidar fr; December 15th, 2015 at 02:43 AM.
zidar fr no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2015, 02:38 AM   #1196
FDW

Quote:
Originally Posted by zidar fr View Post
Hi everybody, I built a map of the Bay Area transit systems trying to show an overall picture of the region connections. It was not easy to work on such a scale, an urban area that is spread on a regional scale.

The map shows:

- Rail networks: BART, Caltrain (with baby bullet service), ACE and Amtrak (+thruway buses)

- Ferries

- Airport connections

I am not very familiar with the area and would very much like to hear your comments and suggestions for improving the map. Are there other relevant systems/routes that should be added ?

Full resolution map:
The Frequent Bus Routes of San Francisco, the East Bay, and the South Bay should be added in. So should the SMART Commuter Rail and the Warm Springs BART extension. The Express routes on Highway 101 over the Golden Gate Bridge , and on I-680 (connecting Fremont and San Jose) should also be included. And lastly, you missed the Ohlone/Chynoweth branch on VTA's Light Rail system.

Last edited by FDW; December 15th, 2015 at 02:43 AM.
Old December 15th, 2015, 11:46 AM   #1197
Falubaz

Likes (Received): 2940

I like this map! The only place that i would correct is the curve of yeallow line between Oakland City Center and West Oakland. If you put it next to the Red line at this place, then it would look smoother between Daly City and Colma:
http://zapodaj.net/9b23f526b4db7.jpg.html

₪₪₪Zielona G๓ra moim okiem₪₪₪ Zielonog๓rskie autobusy₪₪₪Port Lotniczy ZIElona G๓ra₪₪₪ BRT₪₪₪ścieżki rowerowe w ZG
₪₪₪[Świat] „Przebłyski pamięci”₪₪₪Moja Ameryka - nie tylko Stany

dimlys1994 liked this post
Falubaz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2015, 02:25 AM   #1198
FDW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falubaz View Post
I like this map! The only place that i would correct is the curve of yeallow line between Oakland City Center and West Oakland. If you put it next to the Red line at this place, then it would look smoother between Daly City and Colma:
http://zapodaj.net/9b23f526b4db7.jpg.html
The presentation of the Red and Yellow and yellow lines are fine. And the map is missing a lot of more important things at the moment.
Old December 17th, 2015, 07:06 PM   #1199
jchernin

Likes (Received): 536

SMART's last two train-sets being delivered:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=3&theater

Quote:
Funding for SMART Larkspur extension in congressional budget

By Mark Prado, Marin Independent Journal
Posted: 12/16/15, 9:29 AM PST

Funding to send Sonoma-Marin Area Rail Transit commuter train service to Larkspur is in the congressional budget and could be formally approved later this week, rail officials announced Wednesday.

The Larkspur extension would represent the next phase of the project. The Metropolitan Transportation Commission has already committed $20 million in Regional Measure 2 funds, making the project financially whole when SMART can get the federal dollars.

SMART officials believed they were well-positioned to get the federal money, in large part because they had a commitment for half the money to build the extension from the Metropolitan Transportation Commission — the Bay Area’s transportation planning agency. The federal government likes to see a 20 percent local match in funding and SMART had 50 percent.

The extension connects rail service to the Larkspur Ferry Terminal, where boats can take commuters into San Francisco, making it a regional project. For years the train was criticized as a “train to nowhere” because it didn’t have a connection to a regional system.

In February SMART officials announced the agency was in line to receive federal funding to extend the commuter rail service to Larkspur as part of the Federal Transit Administration’s “Small Starts” grant program.

But over the summer the Senate Appropriations Committee slashed the Small Starts program to $30 million, raising concerns SMART might miss out on the needed funding.

But the final Omnibus Appropriations bill released Tuesday shows funding for the $353 million Small Starts request, which means Congress has provided full funding for the Larkspur connection, according to the rail agency.

The next steps include Congress approving the funding, which could occur by Friday. A signature from President Barack Obama would follow, then finally a funding agreement between the Federal Transit Administration and SMART. Work on the Larkspur extension could start as soon as August 2016.

Work has already been done on a key stretch to get service to Larkspur from San Rafael. In December 2010 the revamped Cal Park Hill Tunnel, a 1,100-foot tube, was opened at a cost of $28 million.

When voters in Sonoma and Marin counties approved a quarter-cent sales tax in 2008 to fund SMART, the project was for train service from Cloverdale to Larkspur, along with a path for walkers and bicyclists.

...Now the project is being phased, and a $428 million San Rafael-to-Santa Rosa line is under construction and set to open in late 2016.
http://www.marinij.com/general-news/...ssional-budget

dimlys1994, austrian, fieldsofdreams liked this post
jchernin no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2015, 04:01 AM   #1200
greg_christine

Likes (Received): 142

Quote:
Originally Posted by zidar fr View Post

The map shows:

- Ferries

- Airport connections

Full resolution map:
Look at a map regarding the shape of the northern end of the bay. The northern end of San Francisco Bay becomes San Pablo Bay and then leads east through Carquinez Strait to become Suisun Bay. Pittsburg is actually at the eastern end of Susuin Bay. The rail line to Stockton actually runs through Pittsburg and passes within perhaps a mile of the BART terminus.
greg_christine no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
bart, muni, sacramento, san francisco, smart