daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 22nd, 2015, 09:25 AM   #1201
dimlys1994

Likes (Received): 26165

jchernin, Zaz965, fieldsofdreams liked this post
dimlys1994 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 24th, 2015, 12:57 AM   #1202
zidar fr

Likes (Received): 625

Quote:
Originally Posted by FDW View Post
The Express routes on Highway 101 over the Golden Gate Bridge , and on I-680 (connecting Fremont and San Jose) should also be included.
I should definitely add these, they work on a regional level and would fit perfectly.

Quote:
The Frequent Bus Routes of San Francisco, the East Bay, and the South Bay should be added in.
I have to study these route to see if they fit the scale. It's quite difficult to fit urban buses on a regional scaled map.

Quote:
So should the SMART Commuter Rail and the Warm Springs BART extension.
I usually don't represent future lines or extensions to avoid ambiguities. Of course one can always make some exceptions if there is good reason for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falubaz View Post
I like this map! The only place that i would correct is the curve of yeallow line between Oakland City Center and West Oakland.
Thanks a lot, I corrected the line placement and it's way better now

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg_christine View Post
Look at a map regarding the shape of the northern end of the bay.
I cut the north-Eastern part of the bay because I wanted the map to roughly keep the real geographic distances. Maybe I should contract a little bit that area and make the water appear.
zidar fr no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2015, 02:05 AM   #1203
FDW

Likes (Received): 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by zidar fr View Post
I should definitely add these, they work on a regional level and would fit perfectly.
Most of my other suggestions are in line with this kind of thought.

Quote:
I have to study these route to see if they fit the scale. It's quite difficult to fit urban buses on a regional scaled map.
I'm not saying all of them, just the ones that are designated major corridors. There are several corridors that will become Bus Rapid Transit in the near future, and several lines that parallel future rail extensions (Like The Central Subway in SF) And remember to include the Cable Cars and the Historic streetcar lines, since those are also highly important.

Quote:
I usually don't represent future lines or extensions to avoid ambiguities. Of course one can always make some exceptions if there is good reason for it.
Both the Warm Springs extension and the first phase of SMART are only a few months away from opening, I think it would be better to just include them now rather than going right back after just a few months.

jchernin liked this post
FDW no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2016, 03:22 PM   #1204
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Likes (Received): 17044

3rd Quarter 2015 Ridership numbers for San Francisco-Bay Area

Heavy Rail
San Francisco / BART - 455,600 (2015) : 1.44% +

Light Rail
San Francisco / Muni Metro - 180,500 (2015) : 1.67% +
San Jose / VTA LRT - N/A (2015) : N/A

Streetcar
San Francisco / Cable cars - 25,000 (2015) : 1.99% +

Trolley Bus
San Francisco / Muni - 170,800 (2015) : -11.22%

Bus Ridership
San Francisco / Muni - 317,200 (2015) : 4.70%+
Oakland / AC Bus - 171,300 (2015) : -1.28%
San Jose / SCV Bus - 105,600 (2015) : -2.19%
San Carlos / San Mateo County Tran Dist - 42,100 (2015) : -0.65%
Vallejo / Solano County Transit (SolTrans) - 5,300 (2015) : 7.55% +

Suburban/Regional/Commuter Rail
Bay Area / Caltrain - 62,700 (2015) : 5.22% +
San Jose-Stockton / ACE - 5,200 (2015) : 6.10% +

Ferries
San Francisco / Golden Gate Bridge, Hwy & TD - 9,600 (2015) : 6.34% +
San Francisco / Water Emergency Tr Auth - 8,700 (2015) : 23.64% +
Visit the New Jersey Section

dimlys1994, Yuri S Andrade liked this post
Nexis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2016, 07:01 PM   #1205
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21251

Is is true that there are hundreds of MUNI employees earning more than US$ 150K/year? Or just a political stunt against transit?
Old January 5th, 2016, 08:32 PM   #1206
dimlys1994

Likes (Received): 26165

Some videos on eBART project:

For you:
Facebook & Flickr pages
dimlys1994 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2016, 02:23 AM   #1207
browntown

Likes (Received): 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
Is is true that there are hundreds of MUNI employees earning more than US$ 150K/year? Or just a political stunt against transit?
Most union workers earn that sort of wage. I remember when they went on strike and salaries were posted that they were quite high. You can just search here and filter by BART. Looks like median salary is $120,000 so obviously half the people are making more and some much more. You are correct that there are several hundred (926 to be exact) BART employees making over $150,000. That's looking at total compensation though so it includes contributions to their pension plan, but that seems fair as almost no private sector employees have such a plan.

http://www.mercurynews.com/salaries/bay-area/2014
browntown no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2016, 02:33 AM   #1208
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21251

Why are they adopting this eBart thing? First, I thought it was just a non-electrified system that could be electrified later. But now I realize it has a different gauge, why would BART build a system with different gauges and what were they thinking in the 1960s when they adopted broad gauge for BART in the first place?
Old January 6th, 2016, 02:43 AM   #1209
00Zy99

Likes (Received): 1507

Quote:
Why are they adopting this eBart thing? First, I thought it was just a non-electrified system that could be electrified later. But now I realize it has a different gauge, why would BART build a system with different gauges and what were they thinking in the 1960s when they adopted broad gauge for BART in the first place?
The goal in the 1960s was increased stability in the event of Earthquakes. A broad, low-slung train would be safer than a thin, tall, train.

eBART is supposed to be convertible to full BART standards at a later date. I understand that they went with standard gauge for the same reason they went with diesel. To cut costs. This allows them to use off-the-shelf DMUs instead of custom stock. Theoretically, it can also be hooked into some future commuter rail system that remains very vaguely defined.
00Zy99 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2016, 08:36 AM   #1210
prageethSL

Likes (Received): 3046

dimlys1994 liked this post
prageethSL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2016, 12:26 PM   #1211
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Likes (Received): 11258

Quote:
eBART is the DMU alternative to BART, which means it will use non-electrified trains to connect an existing BART station to far-flung areas where BART determines it would not have sufficient ridership to warrant a full 10-car train set in the near term. If that section was built with full BART tracks and trains, that would mean a massive expense for Antioch, in which, at the moment, there is not enough demand for a full BART train to operate to and from it. A DMU train is much easier and cheaper to maintain than the current BART train; however, that would mean a break in service at Pittsburg/Bay Point because the two tracks will be entirely different. And with less complicated equipment used east of Pittsburg, it will be easier to keep track of future ridership in case a full BART extension will be necessary in the long-term.

Rohnert Park • Rio Vista • Richmond • Redwood City • Portola Valley • Pleasanton • Pleasant Hill
fieldsofdreams no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2016, 08:04 PM   #1212
sdery

Likes (Received): 54

Any sightings of the new BART trains yet? My understanding is that they are en route from the East Coast.
sdery no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2016, 05:57 PM   #1213
Tower Dude

Likes (Received): 593

Hello, question from the East Coast. In all likelihood which project is more likely to finish first? The second Transbay tunnel or the downtown connector?

"Make no small plans they lack the magic to stir men's blood!" - Daniel Burnham

"The scale is Roman and will have to be sustained."
- Charles Follen McKim (In a letter to a friend concerning the design of Penn Station)
Tower Dude no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2016, 01:56 AM   #1214
browntown

Likes (Received): 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tower Dude View Post
Hello, question from the East Coast. In all likelihood which project is more likely to finish first? The second Transbay tunnel or the downtown connector?
There is no second Transbay tunnel project, not is there any project called the, "downtown connector" If by that you mean the downtown extension of CALTRAIN then there is also no project to do that either. Both of these are just ideas. The downtown extension is much more likely to happen in the near future though as the TransBay Terminal requires it in order to be fully operations. But the likely completion dates for these two projects are something like 15-30 years in the future respectively.
browntown no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2016, 07:35 AM   #1215
FDW

Quote:
Originally Posted by browntown View Post
There is no second Transbay tunnel project, not is there any project called the, "downtown connector" If by that you mean the downtown extension of CALTRAIN then there is also no project to do that either. Both of these are just ideas. The downtown extension is much more likely to happen in the near future though as the TransBay Terminal requires it in order to be fully operations. But the likely completion dates for these two projects are something like 15-30 years in the future respectively.
There's a difference between having no money and having no plan. The DTX is all planned out, but the actual money for construction hasn't been hashed out yet. San Francisco is considering the possibility of realigning part the tunnel to serve Mission Bay better, but the part of the line along 2nd St is set in stone. It will be 15 years at most before the DTX opens.

The second Transbay Tube is what has absolutely no plan at the moment, a fact that won't really change for some time.

jchernin liked this post
FDW no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2016, 02:45 AM   #1216
Tower Dude

Likes (Received): 593

Thank you for the clear and concise responses! I had head murmurs of both projects but I was unaware of the details thank you very much!

"Make no small plans they lack the magic to stir men's blood!" - Daniel Burnham

"The scale is Roman and will have to be sustained."
- Charles Follen McKim (In a letter to a friend concerning the design of Penn Station)
Tower Dude no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2016, 03:56 AM   #1217
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

All right... BART is slowly rolling out the new overhead destination sign on its platforms, in which I find these newer ones more "compressed" for longer, scrolling text messages (up to five lines long), while, at the same time, the Helvetica text makes viewing them easier. The thing, though, that remains: make sure that the destination signs can be color coded (e.g. Green for Fremont, Red for Richmond, Blue for Dublin/Pleasanton, Yellow for Pittsburg/Bay Point, Orange for Fremont-Richmond) so that visitors and less frequent travelers will be guided on which train is coming in... there are a lot more destinations for the SFO Airport-Pittsburg/Bay Point line that they may need to be programmed accordingly, such as:

- Pittsburg Bay Point
- North Concord
- Concord
- Pleasant Hill
- Pleasant Hill Limited (AM peak only)
- Montgomery
- 24th Street
- Daly City
- SFO Airport
- SFO Airport/Millbrae
- Millbrae Caltrain
- San Francisco/Pittsburg Bay Point
- SFO Airport/San Francisco/Pittsburg Bay Point

The old signs we've all known for years:

IMG_8492 by Anthony Nachor, on Flickr

IMG_8527 by Anthony Nachor, on Flickr

The new signs look like this:

IMG_8821 by Anthony Nachor, on Flickr

IMG_8838 by Anthony Nachor, on Flickr

Rohnert Park • Rio Vista • Richmond • Redwood City • Portola Valley • Pleasanton • Pleasant Hill

dimlys1994, jchernin, Zaz965 liked this post
Old January 24th, 2016, 04:32 AM   #1218
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Likes (Received): 17044

Do they still use the same 1980s robotic style announcements?
Visit the New Jersey Section
Nexis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2016, 09:27 AM   #1219
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

If you're referring to George and Gracie, yes. On top of that, we have:

- Service announcements (announcement override, usually if trains are late or a change in service will come soon) -- a lot of these happen in San Francisco wherein we hear things like "Train for San Francisco Airport is at West Oakland at the moment, while a Daly City train is arriving in around 3 minutes at Embarcadero, and a Millbrae train is at Montgomery"
- Reminders (semi-automated, with male and female voices)
- Lost and found (announcement override)

pudgym29, Zaz965 liked this post
Old January 30th, 2016, 03:34 AM   #1220
JimmyHD

Is there any chance that BART will buy these car models from the 2012-2013 renderings:

http://cdn.citylab.com/media/img/cit...lead_large.jpg

Or are we condemned solely on this 20th century crap a-la NYC 1950s:

http://www.bart.gov/sites/default/fi...rstcarbody.jpg

So, the question is whether we can expect a mix of two (both separately) or just this garbage from the second photo?
JimmyHD no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
bart, muni, sacramento, san francisco, smart