daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 11th, 2016, 08:17 AM   #1261
dimlys1994

Likes (Received): 26117

For you:
Facebook & Flickr pages

oscaldd liked this post
dimlys1994 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 11th, 2016, 05:00 PM   #1262
00Zy99

Likes (Received): 1506

Looks to me like the car got squeezed too tightly between the bus and the curb. I don't think the autonomous driving system is to blame (in fact, it looks like it was parked at the time).

dimlys1994, will101 liked this post
00Zy99 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2016, 03:33 AM   #1263
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Likes (Received): 17033

First Fleet of the Future Train Car Heads West

Visit the New Jersey Section
Nexis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2016, 04:44 PM   #1264
dimlys1994

Likes (Received): 26117

From Railway Gazette:

Quote:
http://www.railwaygazette.com/news/u...-advances.html

BART Silicon Valley Phase II extension advances
16 Mar 2016

USA: The Federal Transit Administration has approved Phase II of the BART Silicon Valley extension project for the project development phase of the New Starts funding programme. Project promoter Santa Clara Valley Transportation Authority is now to develop designs and identify funding for the $4·7bn project.

VTA can now start work on engineering design and an environmental review for the 10 km southern extension from the future Berryessa station to Santa Clara University, including an 8 km tunnel under San Jose. There would be four stations, including interchanges with Caltrain at San Jose Diridon Station and Santa Clara University

For you:
Facebook & Flickr pages
dimlys1994 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2016, 04:40 AM   #1265
londonfai

Likes (Received): 162

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultramatic View Post
Subway seat hogs could face $500 fine in controversial San Francisco proposal

The proposal for Bay Area Rapid Transit would penalize riders who occupy multiple seats and comes as urban transit network grapples with growth

Bart shuttles more than 420,000 customers every weekday.
Wednesday 9 March 2016 16.58 EST Last modified on Wednesday 9 March 2016 18.09 EST

Public transit riders in the San Francisco Bay Area could soon face tickets and hefty fines for hogging multiple seats – a sign of extreme overcrowding in the metropolitan area’s trains and the latest effort by a US transportation system to combat passengers’ rude behaviors, including so-called manspreading.
The Bay Area Rapid Transit (Bart) agency – which shuttles more than 420,000 customers per weekday in San Francisco and surrounding California cities and suburbs – is considering a new rule that would formally ban riders from spreading into multiple train seats, with an offense punishable by a fine of up to $500.
It should be 1000$. There have been a lot of times when I find myself looking for seats when theres a loud gangsta wannabe/ suspicious looking people occupying two seats either by sitting in an awkward manner or just putting trash bags filled with God knows what on the adjacent seat. And these people are troublesome to approach due to their hostile deamanor.
londonfai no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2016, 06:48 PM   #1266
jchernin

Likes (Received): 536

Recent SMART testing:

Old March 17th, 2016, 08:23 PM   #1267
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21227

Is there a chance BART takes over ACE services?
Old March 20th, 2016, 05:36 AM   #1268
Mad_Cow

Likes (Received): 23

Is there still any interest by BART in extending down the peninsula to Santa Clara or do they just accept that San Mateo County will never agree?
Mad_Cow no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2016, 04:12 PM   #1269
greg_christine

Likes (Received): 142

Has BART's cutting-edge 1972 technology design come back to haunt it?
By Matthias Gafni

In 1972, President Richard Nixon sat in a brand-new BART car and took a quick trip from San Leandro to Lake Merritt. He commented on how the train reminded him of NASA.

He wasn't far off. The consultants who designed the gleaming new rapid transit system did, in fact, use principles developed for the aerospace industry rather than tried-and-true rail standards.

Cars were lighter, more aerodynamic and controlled almost entirely by an automated computer system. As Fortune magazine put it, the move was like going straight from a DC-3 to the 747 aircraft.

But did BART's ingenuity decades ago doom it for shutdowns such as the ones that have crippled the system in recent weeks? Or is the agency's problem typical of a 44-year-old system with infrastructure nearing or exceeding its life expectancy?

http://www.mercurynews.com/news/ci_2...gy-design-come

dimlys1994 liked this post
greg_christine no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2016, 05:09 PM   #1270
Woonsocket54
PC LOAD LETTER

Likes (Received): 5737

Onboard displays in new BART cars

http://www.bart.gov/news/articles/2016/news20160329

dimlys1994, jchernin liked this post
Woonsocket54 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2016, 05:11 PM   #1271
Nexis
Dark Wolf

What are the Electric paddles?
Old April 1st, 2016, 06:38 PM   #1272
saiho

Likes (Received): 1287

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis View Post
What are the Electric paddles?
The electric current collection shoes
saiho no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2016, 03:49 AM   #1273
Woonsocket54
PC LOAD LETTER

Likes (Received): 5737

The Berryessa station parking garage on BART's Silicon Valley extension has topped out

http://www.vta.org/News-and-Media/Ne...est-Milestone#

dimlys1994, will101 liked this post
Woonsocket54 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2016, 04:36 AM   #1274
moon993

Likes (Received): 34

Quote:
1st new BART car arrives in Bay Area

HAYWARD, Calif. (KTVU) - The first new BART car, which is part of the "fleet of the future," has arrived in the Bay Area.

The train car is 70 feet long, 10 feet 6 inches tall, weighing 65,500 pounds.

BART officials said the face of the new car has a more modern feel than their current aging cars but still manages to keep the transit agency's iconic look. The new cars have improvements including extra space under the seats, air conditioning and a real time map.

There will be a total of 775 cars coming to the Bay Area. They're being built by the Bombardier Transit Corporation at a facility in Plattsburgh, New York.

The cars will arrive in the Bay Area in stages from 2016 to 2021. A total of 10 test cars will arrive in the Bay Area this year, with 54 arriving next year.

The target date for putting the first 10 cars into service is this December if testing goes well and no major re-engineering is required.

BART officials originally had hoped to put the first 10 cars into service last year.

BART plans to begin retiring its aging cars when it's appropriate, paying close attention to ridership needs and safety.
http://www.ktvu.com/news/118177391-story

jchernin, sdery, dimlys1994 liked this post
moon993 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2016, 09:12 PM   #1275
jchernin

I feel this thread is appropriate for SMART since this is in the Bay Area and is public transport. I've been posting it was here for years. But from now on I will post SMART updates in both threads.
jchernin no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2016, 11:21 AM   #1276
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by jchernin View Post
I feel this thread is appropriate for SMART since this is in the Bay Area and is public transport. I've been posting it was here for years. But from now on I will post SMART updates in both threads.
SMART is a commuter rail line so I would post it in the Northern California Commuter rail. You could post the E-Bart in this thread , im not sure what to classify that project.
Old April 10th, 2016, 04:19 PM   #1277
00Zy99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis View Post
SMART is a commuter rail line so I would post it in the Northern California Commuter rail. You could post the E-Bart in this thread , im not sure what to classify that project.
It fits both. There aren't any commuter rail lines in Northern California that aren't part of the Bay Area. So it doesn't really make sense for there to be a separate thread for them. There's only three (Caltrain, ACE, and SMART), after all, so it is not as though there's that much news that it clogs up the thread.

jchernin liked this post
Old April 11th, 2016, 02:55 AM   #1278
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00Zy99 View Post
It fits both. There aren't any commuter rail lines in Northern California that aren't part of the Bay Area. So it doesn't really make sense for there to be a separate thread for them. There's only three (Caltrain, ACE, and SMART), after all, so it is not as though there's that much news that it clogs up the thread.
I put the 2 Amtrak lines in Northern Cali since they are considered Commuter rail by the APTA.. Just like the Sprinter in Southern Cali is considered Commuter rail..
Old April 11th, 2016, 03:29 AM   #1279
00Zy99

Perhaps. But not only could Capital Corridor be considered Bay Area (San Jose to Oakland), but so too could the section of the San Juaquin that runs from Oakland to Stockton.

Besides, just because something has properties that put it in category A doesn't mean that it lacks the properties to be in category B.

When something happens on Caltrain, it is something that happens in the Bay Area, and involves public transit. Er go, it has the properties necessary for inclusion in this thread.

jchernin liked this post
Old April 11th, 2016, 03:56 PM   #1280
jchernin

^ Exactly. I live in the Bay Area, and these are public transport items. I will happily post in the Northern Cali commuter rail thread but I'm going to also post it here. I feel very strongly that this is appropriate. The thread tag even says "smart".
jchernin no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
bart, muni, sacramento, san francisco, smart