daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 7th, 2016, 09:21 AM   #1341
SSMEX

Likes (Received): 87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis View Post
Between the SMART DMUs and the Ebart DMUs and now the Kiss EMUs , the Bay Area is getting some sexy rolling stock..
It's pretty crazy that between 2016 and 2020, the Bay Area is getting SMART DMUs, eBart DMUs, Caltrain KISS EMUs, and new Bombardier EMUs for BART, not to mention new EMUs for the MUNI Metro. After 2020, with the exception of VTA Light Rail and Capitol Corridor/ACE, every trainset will be less than 4 years old.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldsofdreams View Post
Yeah, I figured San Carlos. That would be a stretch for me to travel all the way to San Carlos from Novato just to attend a meeting (which I hope lasts for 2 hours), and I will have to fill up my time down in San Mateo County or San Jose before I head home.
I live way closer to San Carlos and I'd never even think about going to one of these meetings. i care enough to listen to some of the audio recording but honestly the information that would be interesting to a transit enthusiast is so sparse that I can't sit through it without fast forwarding. Driving more than two hours roundtrip? Unimaginable.
SSMEX no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 10th, 2016, 03:53 PM   #1342
lunarwhite

Likes (Received): 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSMEX View Post
For what it's worth, it looks like the Caltrain EMU project has been awarded to Stadler US, Inc, presumably for their KISS bi-level EMUs. The last Board of Directors meeting indicated that a temporary award would be announced at next month's meeting (July 7) and the minutes for that upcoming meeting show a pending resolution for awarding of the contract.

I don't have enough posts to post a link but it can be found at caltrain [dot] com /about/bod/Board_of_Directors_Meeting_Calendar.html
Congratulations on your prediction. Here is the announcement from the International Railway Journal.

http://www.railjournal.com/index.php...ml?channel=535

BTW, posts to any SSC forum counts toward your 10 posts for linking privileges.

Last edited by lunarwhite; July 10th, 2016 at 09:39 PM.
lunarwhite no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2016, 07:37 PM   #1343
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Likes (Received): 11243

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSMEX View Post
It's pretty crazy that between 2016 and 2020, the Bay Area is getting SMART DMUs, eBart DMUs, Caltrain KISS EMUs, and new Bombardier EMUs for BART, not to mention new EMUs for the MUNI Metro. After 2020, with the exception of VTA Light Rail and Capitol Corridor/ACE, every trainset will be less than 4 years old.

I live way closer to San Carlos and I'd never even think about going to one of these meetings. i care enough to listen to some of the audio recording but honestly the information that would be interesting to a transit enthusiast is so sparse that I can't sit through it without fast forwarding. Driving more than two hours roundtrip? Unimaginable.

That would be really amazing, wouldn't it? We can then host to some of the youngest train fleet in the nation, thanks to the efforts of millions who want to invest in better mass transit. And yes, we might become to envy of the rest of the counry in terms of having a more superb transit fleet... Perhaps we can ask Gillig to whip up new buses too and send them out to agencies like Muni, AC, VTA, County Connection, and Golden Gate to test them out.

I don't mind commuting long trips myself. In fact, from this Fall, I will be heading down San Jose way twice weekly for classes over at SJ State, meaning I might be able to attend the monthly Caltrain meetings when I can.

San Carlos • San Bruno • San Mateo • Saint Helena • Ross
fieldsofdreams no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2016, 08:15 AM   #1344
dimlys1994

Likes (Received): 26113

For you:
Facebook & Flickr pages

jchernin, geometarkv, prageethSL, will101 liked this post
dimlys1994 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2016, 04:34 PM   #1345
Woonsocket54
PC LOAD LETTER

Likes (Received): 5734

Warm Springs station construction - 2016.07.20

This station has been under construction since 2009. Its opening has been subject to so many delays that most folks have forgotten about its existence.

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/F..._July_2016.jpg

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/F..._July_2016.jpg

dimlys1994, prageethSL, 8166UY, will101 liked this post
Woonsocket54 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2016, 08:57 PM   #1346
00Zy99

Likes (Received): 1506

How do you know people have forgotten about it? Please stop making baseless statements.

jchernin, will101 liked this post
00Zy99 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2016, 09:10 PM   #1347
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

I don't forget about Warm Springs BART; it will be opened really, really soon. It's just that BART also has to construct railways and stations further south of it too, including Milpitas/Great Mall and Berryessa. And by the way, the VTA will move the northern terminal of its Express services (Lines 120, 140, 180, and 181) from Fremont BART to that station once it opens full-time.

will101 liked this post
Old July 29th, 2016, 11:56 PM   #1348
Woonsocket54
PC LOAD LETTER

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00Zy99 View Post
How do you know people have forgotten about it? Please stop making baseless statements.
It's not baseless.

It hasn't been in the news for months; nobody at SSC has posted about it for three months; there is no mention of it on BART's homepage.
Old July 30th, 2016, 02:15 AM   #1349
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

No mention of it does not necessarily mean there is no progress made at that station. Although this is encouraging news... from San Jose Mercury News:

Roadshow: BART may start running to San Jose in late 2017

This is an interesting article as it is written in a Q&A format.

Quote:
Q You recently stated that BART will be going to San Jose next year. I find that hard to believe when the Warm Springs station in Fremont is not yet open. The original date for Warm Springs was supposed to be last November. Can we really expect BART to San Jose by next year?

Rudy Van Pelt

Fremont

A That's what the Valley Transportation Authority insists, even though its website lists 2018. In the next couple of months the tracks will be energized and then testing will begin. As for Warm Springs, BART says that extension will open this fall after more testing -- a message we've been hearing for far too long.

Q What's the plan for folks on Highway 101 to get to the new Berryessa BART station? From what I observe one would take the Oakland Road exit to Berryessa Road, but that's a huge mess on a normal day.

Dennis S.

San Jose

A Most likely, you'll take the McKee Road exit off 101, though most regional traffic will take I-680 to Berryessa Road. The new station will include Berryessa Station Way, which will provide access from Berryessa and Mabury roads.
If you really want to talk about the Warm Springs extension, you might want to contact the VTA directly.

will101 liked this post
Old July 30th, 2016, 03:20 AM   #1350
Woonsocket54
PC LOAD LETTER

So this is a VTA rail line that is interlined with BART and marketed as BART? Who exactly is in charge?
Old July 30th, 2016, 03:24 AM   #1351
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Let's put it this way: BART will operate the tracks per usual as it will use its own trains and extend the Indian gauge tracks. However, funding for the Santa Clara County section of BART is financed by the Santa Clara VTA as the county is not a member of the BART Board of Supervisors. Therefore, for BART to operate to Santa Clara County, it must collaborate with the Santa Clara VTA so that both can discuss track alignments, station developments, and transit connections, not to mention potential congestion as the VTA manages nearly everything infrastructure in the county. Essentially, the trackage belongs to BART, while the transit and funding components will be provided by the VTA.

Woonsocket54, MarshallKnight, will101 liked this post
Old August 3rd, 2016, 09:57 AM   #1352
dimlys1994

Likes (Received): 26113

Transbay Center construction, 1st August:
https://www.facebook.com/Transbay-Tr...-211301050057/

For you:
Facebook & Flickr pages
dimlys1994 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2016, 09:02 AM   #1353
subbotazh

Likes (Received): 325

Muni to add bigger buses to 5-Fulton rapid route

Bigger, longer, accordion-style electric trolley buses are coming to Muni’s 5-Fulton rapid line starting Aug. 15.

The San Francisco Municipal Transportation Agency said it is switching out the 40-foot electric trolleys — which currently serve the 5R-Fulton — with 60-footers to deal with overcrowding on the route. The current daily average ridership is 11,000, said SFMTA spokesman Paul Rose.

Rose said the transit agency will add six to eight 60-foot electric trolleys to the route depending on the schedule. Each bus will be able to accommodate up to 112 additional riders.

Service on the 5R-Fulton route began in late 2013. The route has reduced travel time by 9 percent and boosted ridership by 17 percent, but crowding remains an issue despite adding more buses to the route last year, the transit agency said.

Transit officials in May just recently ordered more of the 60-foot electric trolley buses from New Flyer of America Inc. John Haley, director of transit, said last month that the transit agency plans to replace the entire rubber-tire fleet by 2019.

So far, the transit agency retired 129 buses, and plans to retire another 196 buses by the end of the year, said Haley.

Other improvements rolling out later this fall on the 5R route includes traffic signals, traffic circles and pedestrian improvements on Fulton and McAllister streets between Cole and Larkin streets. The improvements are part of the 5-Fulton Rapid Project.

Another improvement arrives Aug. 13 with a new southbound contraflow lane on Sansome Street from Broadway to Washington. The section of Sansome is currently one-way in the northbound direction.

The transit agency said the change will give the 10-Townsend and 12-Folsom/Pacific a more direct route, eliminating the current need to detour around the street. Taxis, commercial and emergency vehicles will also be able to use the southbound lane.

Muni riders are expected to save up to three minutes of their trip in the southbound direction.

Both the 5R-Fulton and Sansome Street projects are both part of the transit agency’s Muni Forward project, which aims at improving Muni’s reliability citywide.

https://sfbay.ca/2016/08/02/muni-to-...n-rapid-route/

dimlys1994 liked this post
subbotazh no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2016, 09:22 AM   #1354
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Ummm... that's not the bus type that will be used for the "expanded" 5R-Fulton Rapid. It will be these:

IMG_3941 by Anthony Nachor, on Flickr

IMG_3946 by Anthony Nachor, on Flickr

The 65xx and 67xx buses are primarily used on the:

- 8-Bayshore (and its companions, the 8AX and 8BX)
- 14R-Mission Rapid
- 38-Geary
- 38R-Geary Rapid
- 49-Van Ness/Mission

And that would be a massive upgrade from this bus type:

IMG_3924 by Anthony Nachor, on Flickr

dimlys1994, subbotazh liked this post
Old August 6th, 2016, 08:42 AM   #1355
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

All right, folks... here's an exclusive from yours truly:

I went today to a press conference regarding San Francisco Supervisor Scott Wiener's plan to expand the All Nighter bus service, in which he got the support of Mayor Ed Lee, AC Transit Board of Directors President Charles Pippens, and the transit operators currently participating in the program, namely:

- San Francisco Muni
- AC Transit
- BART
- SamTrans
- Golden Gate Transit

Sorry if I started the video a bit late since I wasn't aware that the mayor started talking while I was taking a few more pics, but you get the gist of Ed Lee's enthusiasm to expand the All Nighter bus service very soon (taken using my Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge):

In the background, you get to see:

- AC Transit's newest bus type, the Gillig LF40 Hybrid (1556)
- San Francisco Muni New Flyer Xcelsior XDE40 (8742)
- Golden Gate Transit Orion V (1555)

mrsmartman, dimlys1994, jchernin, carl_Alm liked this post
Old August 22nd, 2016, 10:37 PM   #1356
Tågälskaren
Tåg, för en bättre värld

Likes (Received): 753

SF public invited to help shape future of city subways

Everybody’s got an idea of how to improve transportation in San Francisco, and starting Thursday, they’ll get a chance to draw a picture of their vision for city planners, beginning with where they want to see future subways[...]

dimlys1994 liked this post
Tågälskaren no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2016, 12:37 AM   #1357
phoenixboi08

Likes (Received): 798

Stupid question here, but why couldn't BART simply be converted to standard gauge - along with any ancillary technical changes necessary - and merged with CalTrain?

I'd be satisfied if I just knew definitively if this was more a cost (and logistical) issue than something else. It's a curiosity to me.
Old August 23rd, 2016, 12:42 AM   #1358
MrAronymous

Likes (Received): 6067

Well merging with Caltrain is a no-go becuase ground power supply doesn't mix well with level crossings. Level crossings are to be avoided with any metro-style system anyway because of reliability and safety issues.
MrAronymous no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2016, 05:18 AM   #1359
00Zy99

Likes (Received): 1506

Then there's the clearances. BART is very low-slung and wide in comparison to anything else.

The tunnels are designed around that clearance.

So you not only need to re-gauge many many miles of track without disrupting service, you also need to rebore the tunnels.

Then there's issue with BART being high-voltage DC, while Caltrain is going for AC.
00Zy99 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2016, 05:36 AM   #1360
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrAronymous View Post
Well merging with Caltrain is a no-go becuase ground power supply doesn't mix well with level crossings. Level crossings are to be avoided with any metro-style system anyway because of reliability and safety issues.
If railway crossings cannot be avoided, what if we emulate those found in Japan, especially with JR on the Chuo and Tokaido Lines and Keikyu on the Main Line, for Caltrain? Those lines have everything you can think of: overpass, underpass, surface crossings, and everything in between.

As for the HSR, however, it requires no level crossings at all to achieve high speeds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00Zy99 View Post
Then there's the clearances. BART is very low-slung and wide in comparison to anything else.

The tunnels are designed around that clearance.

So you not only need to re-gauge many many miles of track without disrupting service, you also need to rebore the tunnels.

Then there's issue with BART being high-voltage DC, while Caltrain is going for AC.
Those are so true. BART, with its unique characteristics, require special equipment and wide rail tracks to achieve its intended goals. We definitely need that second Transbay bore to finally allow round-the-clock BART service.

Tags
bart, muni, sacramento, san francisco, smart