daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 23rd, 2016, 05:49 PM   #1361
MrAronymous

Likes (Received): 6070

Look, anything is possible if you throw enough money at it, but I was simply answering your question.
MrAronymous no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 23rd, 2016, 11:00 PM   #1362
Tramwayman
Trams the Best!!!

Likes (Received): 528

Is there any new streetcar (or surface light rail) lines expected to be built?
As well are any bus routes converted to trolley service using overhead wiring not batteries.
Tramwayman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2016, 12:49 AM   #1363
00Zy99

Likes (Received): 1506

There are plans for the E-Embarcadero to be extended at both ends. And the Central Subway may surface beyond Chinatown and run on the surface to Fisherman's Wharf. Another branch of the Muni Metro may run out Geary Street, surfacing once beyond the worst traffic.

There may be reroutes and modifications to existing trackless trolley routes, and new routes may be created mostly using various existing lines. However, major expansion of the wires is unlikely.

Look on the MUNI website for other proposed surface line expansions.
00Zy99 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2016, 04:58 AM   #1364
Tramwayman
Trams the Best!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00Zy99 View Post
There are plans for the E-Embarcadero to be extended at both ends. And the Central Subway may surface beyond Chinatown and run on the surface to Fisherman's Wharf. Another branch of the Muni Metro may run out Geary Street, surfacing once beyond the worst traffic.

There may be reroutes and modifications to existing trackless trolley routes, and new routes may be created mostly using various existing lines. However, major expansion of the wires is unlikely.

Look on the MUNI website for other proposed surface line expansions.
Thank you
Old August 25th, 2016, 06:15 AM   #1365
SSMEX

Likes (Received): 87

Does anybody know why Muni chooses to keep the traditional streetcars rather than replacing them with modern light rail or streetcar vehicles?

I was up in SF last weekend and the best way to get from 5th/Market to Fisherman's Wharf was the F line. The trip there was on a bus, interestingly, and the trip back was in one of those old streetcars.

Considering that Muni also operates a fleet of largely at-grade light rail vehicles, how come they're keeping the old "historic" streetcars?
SSMEX no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2016, 06:34 AM   #1366
etooley1985

Likes (Received): 316

The Muni is underground on Market Street, but goes south after Folsom. The vintage trolley is above ground on Market Street, but has a different route after Market street and goes to the Wharf. It's a slow but pretty ride, if you avoid the crazies. Muni should be extended to the Wharf.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSMEX View Post
Does anybody know why Muni chooses to keep the traditional streetcars rather than replacing them with modern light rail or streetcar vehicles?

I was up in SF last weekend and the best way to get from 5th/Market to Fisherman's Wharf was the F line. The trip there was on a bus, interestingly, and the trip back was in one of those old streetcars.

Considering that Muni also operates a fleet of largely at-grade light rail vehicles, how come they're keeping the old "historic" streetcars?
etooley1985 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2016, 08:00 AM   #1367
Tramwayman
Trams the Best!!!

Quote:

Historical iconic streetcars. Nostalgic lines operating vintage cars, that is why they keep them like cable car tram.
Old August 25th, 2016, 09:13 AM   #1368
SSMEX

Quote:
Originally Posted by etooley1985 View Post
The Muni is underground on Market Street, but goes south after Folsom. The vintage trolley is above ground on Market Street, but has a different route after Market street and goes to the Wharf. It's a slow but pretty ride, if you avoid the crazies. Muni should be extended to the Wharf.
Definitely agree that the Muni Metro should go to the Wharf.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tramwayman View Post
Historical iconic streetcars. Nostalgic lines operating vintage cars, that is why they keep them like cable car tram.
I get the nostalgic reasons, but the difference between this and the cable cars is that the cable cars can't easily be adapted to something different (track gauge, insane grade, no catenary, etc) whereas the streetcar lines can be run with modern LRVs with almost no modification. Nostalgic reminders are quaint and nice, but not when they compromise quality of transportation.

A high frequency route covering Market and the Embarcadero up to the Wharf using longer and modern LRVs would be an amazing addition to the rail transit system in SF.

phoenixboi08, etooley1985 liked this post
Old August 25th, 2016, 02:35 PM   #1369
phoenixboi08

Likes (Received): 798

Quote:

My guess would be that, similarly to New Orleans', those cars/lines are registered landmarks...it'd probably be a headache or nearly impossible to replace them. Even though I agree they should.
Old August 25th, 2016, 06:45 PM   #1370
jchernin

Likes (Received): 536

The heritage lines generally are used more by tourists. Locals avoid the Wharf like the plague. Many avoid the Embarcadero (including the Ferry Building) as well. The heavily used lines used by residents are equipped with modern LRVs.

etooley1985 liked this post

Last edited by jchernin; August 25th, 2016 at 07:08 PM.
jchernin no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2016, 11:05 PM   #1371
lightrail

Likes (Received): 16

Quote:
Definitely agree that the Muni Metro should go to the Wharf.

I get the nostalgic reasons, but the difference between this and the cable cars is that the cable cars can't easily be adapted to something different (track gauge, insane grade, no catenary, etc) whereas the streetcar lines can be run with modern LRVs with almost no modification. Nostalgic reminders are quaint and nice, but not when they compromise quality of transportation.

A high frequency route covering Market and the Embarcadero up to the Wharf using longer and modern LRVs would be an amazing addition to the rail transit system in SF.
Part of the reason may be that on Market Street the old streetcars share the overhead wires with the trolley buses. If you look carefully, the trolley pole picks up power from the positive trolley wire (with negative ground through the rails). Modern LRVs use pantographs. If you tried to use a pantograph on the shared wire it would short out by touching the negative trolley wire as well as the positive.

There's nothing historic in regards to San Francisco about the streetcars - they're all brought in from other cities. only a few, if any, actually previously ran in San Francisco
lightrail no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2016, 11:41 PM   #1372
00Zy99

Actually, about a dozen ran in San Francisco originally.

http://sfmsr.wpengine.com/streetcars/

http://sfmsr.wpengine.com/streetcarroster/

phoenixboi08, pudgym29 liked this post

Last edited by 00Zy99; August 29th, 2016 at 11:49 PM.
Old August 30th, 2016, 01:22 AM   #1373
jay stew

Likes (Received): 293

austrian, dimlys1994, will101, DanielFA liked this post
jay stew no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2016, 03:30 AM   #1374
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Likes (Received): 11243

Quote:

I can provide a clearer answer:

There are actually multiple types of streetcars, all of which, coincidentally, use the same standard rail gauge:

- Cable cars (the only system in operation left in North America)
- Historic streetcars (many of which were "imported" from other cities during the Heritage Streetcar festival after the 1989 Loma Prieta Earthquake)
- Modern streetcars (made in Italy, for Muni Metro)

The traditional streetcars are there because it brings the nostalgia of a bygone era when San Francisco had multiple streetcar lines (lettered A to R), and it reminds residents and visitors of a long lost past when streetcars ruled the Bay Bridge before the Interstate Highway System was adopted in 1956. The connections between San Francisco Municipal Railway and the Key System (which did Transbay crossings) are pretty deep, in that the two complemented one another in providing streetcar services on both sides of the Bay.

Actually, for a local like yours truly, I know other ways to get to Fisherman's Wharf from 5th & Market:

- 8-Bayshore from Kearny & Geary (go to the last stop)
- 30-Stockton from Kearny & Geary (best if you wanna start from Ghirardelli Square at N Point & Larkin)
- Powell/Hyde Cable Car (this may be pricey but tourists line up in droves)

Other transit options serving Fisherman's Wharf include:

- E-Embarcadero (streetcar line between Fisherman's Wharf and Caltrain Depot)
- 39-Coit (brings you to Coit Tower)
- 47-Van Ness (brings you to Caltrain Depot via Van Ness Avenue, City Hall, and Market Street)

And by the way, some of the original historic streetcars that ran around San Francisco are the ones with double-ended doors (1005, 1006, 1007, 1011)... go to www.streetcar.org to learn more about them.

San Carlos • San Bruno • San Mateo • Saint Helena • Ross

pudgym29 liked this post
fieldsofdreams no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2016, 07:05 AM   #1375
SSMEX

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightrail View Post
Part of the reason may be that on Market Street the old streetcars share the overhead wires with the trolley buses. If you look carefully, the trolley pole picks up power from the positive trolley wire (with negative ground through the rails). Modern LRVs use pantographs. If you tried to use a pantograph on the shared wire it would short out by touching the negative trolley wire as well as the positive.

There's nothing historic in regards to San Francisco about the streetcars - they're all brought in from other cities. only a few, if any, actually previously ran in San Francisco
Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldsofdreams View Post

The traditional streetcars are there because it brings the nostalgia of a bygone era when San Francisco had multiple streetcar lines (lettered A to R), and it reminds residents and visitors of a long lost past when streetcars ruled the Bay Bridge before the Interstate Highway System was adopted in 1956. The connections between San Francisco Municipal Railway and the Key System (which did Transbay crossings) are pretty deep, in that the two complemented one another in providing streetcar services on both sides of the Bay.
This brings up an interesting dilemma. There should be no question that modern LRVs are smoother, quieter, more comfortable, and more reliable than historic streetcars. At what point do we forgo the nostalgic value of transportation for a more modern alternative? Why should a few key lines running on critical corridors be stuck in the 1930s when we could modernize them without huge changes (the pantograph/trolley bus issue notwithstanding)?

If it were up to me, I feel like the cable car service is already sufficient as a tourist attraction/landmark and the streetcars should be modernized. I'm sure even tourists would appreciate a better way of getting to the Wharf.
Old August 30th, 2016, 07:24 AM   #1376
nxy

Likes (Received): 58

Quote:
This brings up an interesting dilemma. There should be no question that modern LRVs are smoother, quieter, more comfortable, and more reliable than historic streetcars. At what point do we forgo the nostalgic value of transportation for a more modern alternative? Why should a few key lines running on critical corridors be stuck in the 1930s when we could modernize them without huge changes (the pantograph/trolley bus issue notwithstanding)?

If it were up to me, I feel like the cable car service is already sufficient as a tourist attraction/landmark and the streetcars should be modernized. I'm sure even tourists would appreciate a better way of getting to the Wharf.
There is definitely a better option for getting to the warf:

https://www.sfmta.com/sites/default/...pt%20Study.pdf

If only the funds were limitless.

Personally, I think the historic streetcars are very important for the feel and culture of the city. I think they can also be run in parallel with more modern systems. You already see this where the N and T lines share the historic streetcar tracks and you'll see buses taking some of the load on the F line.

Busfotodotnl liked this post
nxy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2016, 09:32 AM   #1377
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Likes (Received): 11243

Quote:

The thing with Market Street is, it acts as the Main Street of San Francisco. It gives visitors their lasting impressions of the City by the Bay, so we invest so much time and energy in making it as vibrant and accessible as possible. At the same time, since that's where a high concentration of businesses and high-end shops are located, we have to accommodate everything on that corridor to give that sense of juxtaposition between the past and the present. Heck, the F-Market streetcar essentially duplicates with Muni Metro underground between Embarcadero and Castro stations for crying out loud... and the closest bus equivalent to that duplication would be the 7-Haight/Noriega.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nxy View Post

Personally, I think the historic streetcars are very important for the feel and culture of the city. I think they can also be run in parallel with more modern systems. You already see this where the N and T lines share the historic streetcar tracks and you'll see buses taking some of the load on the F line.
That's so true. We are even considering extending the historic streetcar line to Fort Mason in the Marina District in the long run using a disused tunnel. I am crossing fingers that that plan will materialize soon.

San Carlos • San Bruno • San Mateo • Saint Helena • Ross
fieldsofdreams no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2016, 04:12 PM   #1378
dimlys1994

Likes (Received): 26116

From Railway Gazette:

Quote:
http://www.railwaygazette.com/news/n...ompletion.html

First San Francisco Muni S200 vehicles nearing completion
30 Aug 2016

USA: San Francisco Mayor Ed Lee and San Francisco Municipal Transportation Agency officials visited Siemens’ plant in Sacramento on August 29 to look at the first of 215 light rail vehicles that Siemens is building for the city’s Muni network. The first vehicle is due to arrive in San Francisco for testing in December.

SFMTA signed a $648m contract in September 2014 for 175 LRVs with options for up to 85 more, and subsequently called off options for 40 in June 2015. Siemens says that this is its largest ever US LRV order

For you:
Facebook & Flickr pages

phoenixboi08, DanielFA liked this post
dimlys1994 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2016, 04:22 PM   #1379
00Zy99

Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldsofdreams View Post
I can provide a clearer answer:

There are actually multiple types of streetcars, all of which, coincidentally, use the same standard rail gauge:

- Cable cars (the only system in operation left in North America)
- Historic streetcars (many of which were "imported" from other cities during the Heritage Streetcar festival after the 1989 Loma Prieta Earthquake)
- Modern streetcars (made in Italy, for Muni Metro)

Actually, for a local like yours truly, I know other ways to get to Fisherman's Wharf from 5th & Market:

- 8-Bayshore from Kearny & Geary (go to the last stop)
- 30-Stockton from Kearny & Geary (best if you wanna start from Ghirardelli Square at N Point & Larkin)
- Powell/Hyde Cable Car (this may be pricey but tourists line up in droves)

Other transit options serving Fisherman's Wharf include:

- E-Embarcadero (streetcar line between Fisherman's Wharf and Caltrain Depot)
- 39-Coit (brings you to Coit Tower)
- 47-Van Ness (brings you to Caltrain Depot via Van Ness Avenue, City Hall, and Market Street)

And by the way, some of the original historic streetcars that ran around San Francisco are the ones with double-ended doors (1005, 1006, 1007, 1011)... go to www.streetcar.org to learn more about them.
I feel I should note that the surviving cable car lines are actually 3' gauge. All of the standard gauge cable cars are long gone.

BTW-I'm looking for an old map showing the entire MUNI rail network. Does anyone have a copy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nxy View Post

Hopefully, we'll see that soon.
Old September 5th, 2016, 05:11 AM   #1380
moon993

Likes (Received): 34

http://vtaorgcontent.s3-us-west-1.am...er2016_BRO.pdf

VTA released a newsletter regarding the Bart Silicon Valley extension

will101 liked this post
moon993 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
bart, muni, sacramento, san francisco, smart