daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 12th, 2010, 09:57 AM   #121
mopc

Likes (Received): 11943

Comments: the BART system looks indeed very "70" no wonder they used it in that Will Smith movie with his kid, set in the 70s. Why do you say it is run by morons ?

Can you put the date on the very nice tram pics or at least indicate more clearly which trams still exist?
mopc no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 12th, 2010, 10:47 AM   #122
FDW

Likes (Received): 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by mopc View Post
Comments: the BART system looks indeed very "70" no wonder they used it in that Will Smith movie with his kid, set in the 70s. Why do you say it is run by morons ?

Can you put the date on the very nice tram pics or at least indicate more clearly which trams still exist?
Yeah, that Will smith was actually set in the late 80's, but yeah, BART does look kind of dated in appearance, you can also see how it influenced other cities metro design in one way or another. And as for why BART is run by morons? Well they keep on pushing poorly designed extensions into the outer suburbs under the pretense that they will "cover operations costs" and that they "will be cheaper" at the cost of those who live in the inner areas. (Case in point: The airport extension, the Airport station didn't need to be spur, but it was made that way to create a forced transfer from Caltrain (the commuter line between SF and San Jose) to the Airport, the result ended up almost bankrupting Samtrans (the San Mateo county transit agency.). Another case in point: The San Jose extension, which has been whittled down from an overpriced, if needed connection from D.T. Oakland to D.T. San Jose to a Line that literally ends in the middle of ******* nowhere in the name saving a buck now at the cost of paying two tomorrow.)

The only trams no longer in SF (that I didn't explicitly state in these pics) are the last two PCC pics (the car no. 1180 and the car no.1163). Though some are currently being restored in one fashion or another (In these pics car no.1, no.578-J and no.1040 are being restored, in addition to a whole swath of others.
FDW no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2010, 02:46 PM   #123
Falubaz

Likes (Received): 2940

Guys, lets post onle few pics at a time, so that the forum stays in reasonable mesures. Let's say 10 pics in one post?

₪₪₪Zielona Góra moim okiem₪₪₪ Zielonogórskie autobusy₪₪₪Port Lotniczy ZIElona Góra₪₪₪ BRT₪₪₪ścieżki rowerowe w ZG
₪₪₪[Świat] „Przebłyski pamięci”₪₪₪Moja Ameryka - nie tylko Stany
Falubaz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2010, 03:09 PM   #124
aucina

Likes (Received): 0

The design of the trains reminds me of old star trek (Kirk and Spock) design - I love it!!
aucina no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2010, 12:47 AM   #125
trainrover
:-x

Likes (Received): 738

Ah, so this is where my earlier post can now go:
Quote:
Originally Posted by trainrover View Post
that's pretty queer

The BART is highly stylised plus its power feed's virtually outta sight; Dalian's fouls. (Somebody probably might find the very existence of BART's own stylism due to barely a handful of new networks being brought about then compared to the multitude being brought onstream nowadays.)

BART's looks bleet 70s-in-the-60s and, say, space exploration too; I see no heritage in Dalian's.

Dalian's system has nothing daring-looking about it that could possibly lend to suggesting its often being faulty network, whereas BART's did.

Granted, Dalian's may have some indetectable ability at trendsetting, although claiming some quality of Dalian's as lofty as any of BART's tribute-deserving characteristics would seem daft.

just who's been likening the two systems?

plus how come each of the close-to-ten's-worth of Frisco transit threads here is locked, thereby thwarting replicating my here post within any one of them?!?
trainrover no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2010, 08:46 AM   #126
FDW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falubaz View Post
Guys, lets post onle few pics at a time, so that the forum stays in reasonable mesures. Let's say 10 pics in one post?
I don't plan on posting as many in the next updates.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aucina View Post
The design of the trains reminds me of old star trek (Kirk and Spock) design - I love it!!
Yeah, they were going for that space age look when the system was built, looks real Zeerusty nowadays if you ask me.
Old October 15th, 2010, 05:07 PM   #127
tampasteve

Likes (Received): 258

Of interest is the BART trains and tracking are Indian Broad Gauge instead of Standard Gauge. IIRC the trains are as wide as an Amtrak train it is the only public transit system in the USA using that gauge.

Steve
Old October 15th, 2010, 05:58 PM   #128
Falubaz

Likes (Received): 2940

The museum of SF-cablecars:

[IMG]http://i52.************/rhq0i9.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i55.************/20santk.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i53.************/n6roua.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i51.************/5as16p.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i54.************/2v96hbr.jpg[/IMG]

₪₪₪Zielona Góra moim okiem₪₪₪ Zielonogórskie autobusy₪₪₪Port Lotniczy ZIElona Góra₪₪₪ BRT₪₪₪ścieżki rowerowe w ZG
₪₪₪[Świat] „Przebłyski pamięci”₪₪₪Moja Ameryka - nie tylko Stany
Falubaz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2010, 02:56 AM   #129
FDW

Quote:
Originally Posted by tampasteve View Post
Of interest is the BART trains and tracking are Indian Broad Gauge instead of Standard Gauge. IIRC the trains are as wide as an Amtrak train it is the only public transit system in the USA using that gauge.

Steve
The reason why BART initially decided to use that gauge was because of the strong winds of the golden gate that BART would've had to deal with if it was to go over to Marin County (as what was originally planned). And the AC transit update will come tonight.
Old October 17th, 2010, 10:04 AM   #130
LtBk

Likes (Received): 3705

An interesting article about the problems SF's MUNI agency faces:http://www.sfweekly.com/2010-04-14/n...-death-spiral/
LtBk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2010, 10:48 AM   #131
FDW

This was a bit later then I intended, but let's get started with the show:

We're on a highway to hell! (Not kinda really, right now were at the uptown transit center.)

AC TRANSIT

Daily Ridership: 236,000
Routes: 105
Fleet size: 674
Service Area: Cities of Oakland, Berkeley, Piedmont, Alameda, Emeryville, Albany, El Cerrito, Richmond, San Pablo, San Leandro, Hayward, Union City, Newark and Fremont (In addition to several unincorporated areas).
Service Area population: 1.5 million

AC Transit is the 3rd Largest transit agency (by ridership) in Northern California (after BART and MUNI) and was first established in 1960 out of the ruins of the Key System (which ran streetcars over the Bay Bridge from 1939 to 1956). AC Transit was also one of the first transit agencies in the United States to operate Articulated Buses (in 1978, alongside Seattle's King County METRO).

These New Flyer D60HF's are AC Transit's oldest buses still in service. (purchased in 1996)

NABI 416's, they form the single largest part of the fleet.

40 ft LF Van Hool bus, newer type. (As you can see here, the front LED lights on the Van Hool's can flash in a variety of colors, and AC Transit takes advantage of it by giving routes various colors on maps for passengers to recognize and having the buses running the flash the LED's in the specific colors of the route on the maps for easy recognition, though they aren't allowed to use red anymore.)

40 ft LF Van Hool bus, older type with Rapid markings. (AC Transit has 2 LA style (BRT-Lite) BRT lines, this one goes from D.T Oakland to the suburb of San Pablo.

60 ft LF Van Hool articulated bus. (The first order of the Van Hool's was widely disliked by the riders to bad suspension (largely caused by our regions poor roads), and uncomfortable seating (and unusual seating configuration, caused in large part by the fact that this was Van Hool's first transit bus contract for a US transit agency. And even now the Van Hool's still have a complicated reputation, despite efforts to improve the buses.)

60 ft LF Van Hool articulated bus with Rapid markings. (This is the other BRT-Lite line, it goes from UC Berkeley through D.T. Oakland to a Shopping Mall in the suburb of San Leandro.)

30 ft LF Van Hool articulated bus. (Used on lines with tight geography (narrow streets) and or low ridership lines.)

40 ft LF NABI bus. (this bus is an NL Macarthur Limited heading over to the (now demolished) Transbay terminal. I know this because because I know exactly where this pic was taken (20th and Broadway, the site of the Uptown Transit Center and the 19th/Oakland BART station.) and what the sign on the bus says (It's Limited Stops, and the NL is the only line that stops there at that time of day when this picture was taken).)

40 ft LF NABI bus. (same model as above, only these buses are only used on the Local San Pablo services, due to the real time info provided at bus stops on that corridor.)

45 ft MCI D4500 coach. (AC Transit uses these comfortable coaches mostly on Transbay services, but also as school buses for students throughout much of AC Transit's service area.)

AC Transit Gillig Phantom (Now retired.)

40 ft LF Van Hool, powered by Hydrogen-fuel cells. (AC transit has 3 in regular service, with 12 more on order.)

60 ft MAN articulated bus (AC Transit's first articulated buses, now retired, being used in 1987 to provide extra service to the 50th anniversary of the opening of the Golden Gate Bridge. MUNI also ran had 100 of these buses from 1984-2003.)

AC Transit Flxible's used for Dumbarton bridge service between Union City and Palo Alto.

I saved best for last, I give you THE FUTURE!!! (Of AC Transit's bus fleet)

This new model developed together by AC Transit and Van Hool is known as the C3045, a 45 ft commuter coach with low floor entry and two doors, these buses will start service on AC Transit sometime next year (And AC Transit has 30 or order).

As you can see, these buses have a suburban style seating configuration using those nice plush seats usually only found on the MCI coaches (Notice the Seatbelts).

One last pic, an interior view of the bus.

Next up is Golden Gate Transit (Tomorrow), then San Jose's VTA (sometime during the week), then we'll go up to Sacramento to check out their RTD.

geometarkv liked this post

Last edited by FDW; October 17th, 2010 at 11:03 AM.
Old October 17th, 2010, 11:01 AM   #132
FDW

Quote:
Originally Posted by LtBk View Post
An interesting article about the problems SF's MUNI agency faces:http://www.sfweekly.com/2010-04-14/n...-death-spiral/
Ah, I can explain, The spring cuts may have actually saved MUNI, becaused they pissed off riders to such an extent that the city actually bent over backward to scrounge up money to restore much of the service cuts in September. Though one group didn't help; the union that operates MUNI. They voted down concessions that would towards restoring service twice, and now they're going to get punished at the polls this November when voters take away their right to be the second highest paid bus drivers for a transit agency in the United States. rather, it's AC Transit and Golden Gate that are in Death Sprial, since they've been cutting away at their service for a decade. (two other agencies, VTA and Sam trans are starting to crawl out of the grave, though the former seems to like the grave better.)
Old October 18th, 2010, 07:14 AM   #133
FDW

Well, here we go again:

GOLDGEN GATE TRANSIT

Weekday Ridership: 30,000 (24,000 bus, 6,000 ferry)
Fleet Size: 224 buses, 7 ferries
Start of operations: 1971
Number of lines: 47 bus routes, 2 ferry routes

Golden Gate Transit, as it's name implies, operates bus service over the world-renowned Golden Gate Bridge to San Francisco's Northern suburbs in Marin and Sonoma Counties, it also operates service within Marin County and over the Less well known Richmond-San Rafael Bridge to 2 BART stations in Contra Costa County (Richmond and El Cerrito Del Norte). In addition to bus service it operates 2 ferry lines from San Francisco's historic Ferry Terminal to the Marin County suburbs of Sausalito and Larkspur. Golden Gate also has the distinction of being the first transit agency in the Bay Area fully compatible with our much maligned smart card, Clipper (nee Translink).

Orion V bus. These are, more or less, the current centerpiece of Golden Gate Transit's fleet, and are used pretty much everyewhere in the system. (though the NOVA's still outnumber by a bit.)

NOVA bus, 1200 series. These buses are used mostly for commuter service into San Francisco. (though this one is being used for local marin service.)

NOVA bus, 500 series. These 30 ft buses are the shortest buses GGT currently owns.

These MCI commuter coaches are used exclusively on commuter routes into an out of San Francisco (the NOVA's and Orion V's preform in both commuter and non-commuter roles), this bus is picking up passengers in front of (the now demolished) Transbay Terminal.

GGT MCI Coach. (GGT's newest buses)

GGT Flxible bus. (now retired)

GGT MAN SG220 bus. (now retired)

GGT (former Sam Trans) New Flyer D60 HF. (Now retired.)

GGT New Flyer D60LF. (Golden Gate Transit's current Artic's)

GGT New Flyer DE35LF. (Will be used mainly within Marin County.)

GGF M.V. Sonoma. (Older model ferry.)

GGF (nee Washington state ferries) M.V. Napa (nee Snohomish). (Golden Gate transit's newest ferry.)

That is all for tonight. Next up we go down to Silicon Valley to check out VTA, following that we shall head on to California's dysfunctional state capital to see Sacramento's RTD, lastly we head back to the Bay for a double header of Sam Trans and Caltrain.
Old October 18th, 2010, 10:14 AM   #134
deasine
=)

Likes (Received): 57

Great to see that you are covering many agencies, but again, if you can have fewer photos per post (good number is max 10) and have resized photos that don't require people to scroll horizontally, it will be great. It's okay to separate posts if they have a lot of multimedia (i.e. pictures, videos)
deasine no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2010, 10:53 AM   #135
FDW

Quote:
Originally Posted by deasine View Post
Great to see that you are covering many agencies, but again, if you can have fewer photos per post (good number is max 10) and have resized photos that don't require people to scroll horizontally, it will be great. It's okay to separate posts if they have a lot of multimedia (i.e. pictures, videos)
I'm not I can stick to 10 pictures and I would prefer to just lump everything in one post, but I can promise that I will look for some smaller pictures that don't require so much horizontal scrolling. (Like the pictures in the Golden Gate Transit post that I didn't get from wikipedia.)
Old October 20th, 2010, 12:00 AM   #136
trainrover
:-x

Likes (Received): 738

Quote:
Originally Posted by deasine View Post
have resized photos
Can resizing be accomplished by modifying the IMAGE tag here in the fora, or are you in fact suggesting resizing be done manually before launching the photo?
trainrover no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2010, 12:54 AM   #137
quashlo

Likes (Received): 3215

Download the photos to your HD first, then upload separately to an image host like Imageshack. Usually, they will give you the option to automatically have the images resized.
quashlo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2010, 04:25 AM   #138
deasine
=)

Likes (Received): 57

Quote:
Originally Posted by trainrover View Post
Can resizing be accomplished by modifying the IMAGE tag here in the fora, or are you in fact suggesting resizing be done manually before launching the photo?
Nope. Unfortunately, there aren't any plugins on the forum that do this for you automatically either. Nor does HTML codes work. Photos have to be resized under 1000px. See quashlo's post above mine for more information.
deasine no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2010, 06:27 AM   #139
FDW

Quote:
Originally Posted by quashlo View Post
Download the photos to your HD first, then upload separately to an image host like Imageshack. Usually, they will give you the option to automatically have the images resized.
Okay, thanks. I'll do this for my next update friday.
Old October 24th, 2010, 08:41 AM   #140
FDW

OK, now we go down to one place I'm sure everyone knows about, so let's see what Silicon Valley has to offer in terms of Public Transportation:

Would you like extra BOOM with that sir?

SANTA CLARA VALLEY TRANSPORTATION AUTHORITY

Weekday ridership (bus and LRT): 145,000
Fleet Size: 450 buses and 99 LRV's
Routes: 75 bus and 4 LRT
Service Area: All of urban Santa Clara County with some service into Neighboring San Mateo and Alameda Counties
Start of operations: 1976
Current Light Rail Map

VTA operates service throughout (as it's name implies) the Santa Clara Valley, which most of you know as the world famous tech hub Silicon Valley, where the Internet as we know it was born, VTA's development and growth over the years has been shaped to a greater extent than any public transit agency in region by the sprit of ambition and creativity that NorCal is known for, however VTA has also been shaped very extensively by the dark side of that same spirit: recklessness, stubbornness, ignorance, and greed. This dark side has led VTA into many ****ups over the years (The bus above is example of one of those). Still, they keep trucking on, with a "BRT-Lite" line opened a few years ago, A recent restructuring of the bus system to better emphasize the high ridership lines, a recent rollout of an express LRT service during commute hours, the ongoing planning of a BART line to D.T. San Jose, hell even the LRT service has recovered from it's ridership low's earlier in the decade to a level roughly comparable to it's 2001 levels.

Now to show the fleet, let's start with the LRV's:

Old UTDC LRV's in the original Paint scheme.

UTDC LRV's in current paint scheme in D.T. San jose. (These cars were retired by VTA in 2003, some of them currently run in Salt Lake City.)

These Kinki Sharyo LF LRV's currently make up the entire fleet. (Note the similar cab design to Dallas's LRV's)

Another pic of the Kinki Sharyo LRV's. (These LRV's are 90 ft (27 m) long, and can be arranged in sets of 1, 2 or 3 cars.)

Interior pic of Kinki sharyo LRV.

40ft Flxible. (Used to make up the bulk of VTA's bus fleet, now retired.)

40ft Flxible. (Newer Model, given over to AC Transit.)

TMC RTS (Now Retired)

40ft Gillig Phantom. (Gillig buses make up the bulk of VTA's fleet.)

40ft LF Gillig Advantage. (The line that this bus is servicing is an express route between D.T. San Jose and Fremont BART)

40ft LF Gillig Advantage. (With Rapid markings.)

40ft LF Gillig Advantage Interior.

35ft LF Gillig Advantage. (this line shuttles between the Santa Clara Caltrain station and the LRT line on N 1st St, serving San Jose International Airport in between)

35 ft Gillig Advantage interior. (Used for Airport service, note the Luggage rack)

40ft Gillig Advantage Hydrogen Fuel Cell demonstration bus.

New Flyer D60LF (used only on VTA's 22 and 522 bus routes)

New Flyer D60LF (With Rapid markings)

New Flyer D60LF interior (With padded seating I wish was on MUNI vehicles)

MAN articulated bus (apparently VTA ran these buses for a few years before giving them over to AC transit.

El Dorado National/Chevy Elite (27ft van used on low ridership lines)

El Dorado National/Chevy Elite (New paint scheme)

Whew, this time I managed to stay within the lines for once. Okay, with San Jose out of the way, now we go up to the state capital of California to check out it's not so unusual bus network and surprising LRT system. After that we go back down to the Bay Area for a Double header of Sam Trans and Caltrain (I'll tell you why I lump these together when we get there), and then we shall go on to see the other East Bay Bus systems (Wheels, WestCAT, Union City Transit, County Connection, and Tri-Delta).

Tags
bart, muni, sacramento, san francisco, smart