daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 5th, 2016, 05:32 AM   #1381
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Likes (Received): 11243

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00Zy99 View Post
I feel I should note that the surviving cable car lines are actually 3' gauge. All of the standard gauge cable cars are long gone.

BTW-I'm looking for an old map showing the entire MUNI rail network. Does anyone have a copy?

Hopefully, we'll see that soon.
Really? You mean those surviving cable car lines are actually narrow gauge? It reminds me somehow of what most Japanese railway companies use for their trains: the 3ft 6in Cape Gauge. In fact, since I did my search on Wiki, the gauge used for the cable cars is the same as the gauge used for most Japanese trains!

San Carlos • San Bruno • San Mateo • Saint Helena • Ross
fieldsofdreams no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 7th, 2016, 06:35 PM   #1382
dimlys1994

Likes (Received): 26116

From Railway Gazette:

Quote:
http://www.railwaygazette.com/news/n...rcrowding.html

BART pays passengers in order to reduce overcrowding
07 Sep 2016

USA: BART introduced a six-month pilot programme on August 30 to reward passengers who travel outside the morning peak with cash rewards. The aim is to reduce crowding on trains and at the busiest stations.

Inspired by a similar project launched in Singapore in 2013, the BART Perks programme is being implemented by BART and the San Francisco County Transportation Authority, using technology supplied by Urban Engines.

Participating passengers will earn 1 point for every mile travelled on BART and between 3 and 6 points, depending on frequency of travel, if they start their journey between 06.30 and 07.30 or between 08.30 and 09.30. Points can be exchanged for $1 per 1 000 points or used to play the ‘Spin to Win’ game that could result in more points or cash rewards up to $100. Reward balances will be transferred to participants’ PayPal accounts every month

For you:
Facebook & Flickr pages

etooley1985, ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
dimlys1994 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2016, 08:22 AM   #1383
Busfotodotnl

Likes (Received): 511

Visited the city once again this weekend. First time was a few years ago. Now i visited with my girlfriend so no time for a complete system visit. However a few remarks:
- F-line service seemed to be horrible. 2 cars right after each other and then like 15 minutes nothing. Why is there no priority for the the trolley at intersections? Service could be 2 times faster if the trolley doesn't have to stop every minute for a red traffic light? in my country The Netherlands even buses have priority most times.
- In difference with a few years ago a lot of the services on the F were driven with buses. Even in the evening, there were 2 replacement buses right after each other. Is the MUNI not capable to run all services with PCC/other trams?
- We took the Powell/Hyde Cable Car on the sunday morning, starting at Hyde Street. According to the timetable on 511.org, there had to be a 7,5 minute frequency. Although lot of tourists were waiting, the frequency was every 12 minutes maximum, maybe 15 minutes. In the meantime, 4 cable cars + staff were waiting en got payed for doing nothing. They even start playing a ball game. I got the idea that the staff on the line were creating their own timetable with a lower frequency and more breaks. Am i wrong?
Busfotodotnl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2016, 02:27 AM   #1384
lunarwhite

Likes (Received): 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busfotodotnl View Post
Visited the city once again this weekend. First time was a few years ago. Now i visited with my girlfriend so no time for a complete system visit. However a few remarks:
- F-line service seemed to be horrible. 2 cars right after each other and then like 15 minutes nothing. Why is there no priority for the the trolley at intersections? Service could be 2 times faster if the trolley doesn't have to stop every minute for a red traffic light? in my country The Netherlands even buses have priority most times.
- In difference with a few years ago a lot of the services on the F were driven with buses. Even in the evening, there were 2 replacement buses right after each other. Is the MUNI not capable to run all services with PCC/other trams?
- We took the Powell/Hyde Cable Car on the sunday morning, starting at Hyde Street. According to the timetable on 511.org, there had to be a 7,5 minute frequency. Although lot of tourists were waiting, the frequency was every 12 minutes maximum, maybe 15 minutes. In the meantime, 4 cable cars + staff were waiting en got payed for doing nothing. They even start playing a ball game. I got the idea that the staff on the line were creating their own timetable with a lower frequency and more breaks. Am i wrong?
Regarding the second point about buses covering many services on the F Line, I came across this article through another rail forum.

http://www.sfexaminer.com/historic-m...training-woes/

ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
lunarwhite no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2016, 05:04 PM   #1385
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busfotodotnl View Post

Muni supposedly runs on schedules based on their internal timetables. However, as you said, some staff do have their own timetables based on actual need and recovery time, especially if something bad happened during the day. What I'd do in this case: dump the frequency guide and instead go for an app like Next Muni that will show you exactly where the vehicles are at any given moment. That way, you will have a better idea (and approximate) how far a vehicle is on the line and how much time you need to prepare.

As for the replacement buses, there is an actual shortage of streetcar drivers, possibly due to retirement en masse or reassignment to the bus or Muni Metro division. When Muni upgraded its schedule again a few months ago thanks to Muni Forward, more transit vehicles have been placed on the road with improved frequencies, leaving some operations short changed like the E-Embarcadero and F-Market. I can ask some people on the inside if there are any short-term fixes to address such a shortage, and if there are plans to hire younger operators for the streetcars... I mean, there are a lot of qualifications to be had before operating a vehicle from the 1940s and 50s.

And finally, despite being a transit city, trolleys and buses have to follow the same traffic rules as everyone else. No priority is given on Market Street, if at all. Perhaps the only crossing that gets such a priority (with an actual person manning the lights manually during peak periods) is at Market & Montgomery/2nd Streets. Even though a good chunk of Market Street now has a Transit Lane in the middle, still, you never know what can happen along the way (e.g. errant pedestrian, sudden protest), that's why operators need to slow down along that corridor and be prepared for anything. As for operators sitting out a green light to turn into red, well, there are a few "time points" that aren't explicitly shown on the frequency books, but you'll get the picture (e.g. Market & 5th, Market & Van Ness).

ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
Old October 17th, 2016, 02:35 AM   #1386
Fan Railer

Likes (Received): 566

New BART train in motion from Bombardier:
Old October 18th, 2016, 11:10 PM   #1387
jchernin

Likes (Received): 536

Quote:
New ‘Subway Vision’ maps show tunnels of the future

San Francisco is exploring new ways to transport people underground throughout The City.

By Joe Fitzgerald Rodriguez on October 18, 2016 1:00 am

Subways, everywhere.

Under the Marina, under 19th Avenue, and even under the southeast leading to the Bayview — that’s the future of San Francisco, as sketched by preliminary maps dubbed San Francisco’s “Subway Vision.”

They’re not done, but on Monday the first sketches of the plans were shown to the San Francisco Board of Supervisors’ Land Use and Transportation Committee for a sneak peek.

“In the 1970s, we opened BART and the Market Street Subway,” Supervisor Scott Wiener told the committee. “Rather than follow those two visionary achievements with continued subway construction, however, we simply patted ourselves on the back and stopped.”

He added, “We need to move forward” and build more subways.

San Francisco’s Central Subway is slated to open in 2019, connecting Chinatown with downtown underground, and a proposal to move parts of the M-Oceanview underground is also being studied.

But most of The City’s subways are east to west, from downtown to Ocean Beach, and planners said public feedback showed a clear need for more north-south connections.

The Subway Vision maps were prompted by Wiener’s Subway Master Plan legislation, which was passed last fall and mandates The City with “always” planning subway expansion.

http://www.sfexaminer.com/new-subway...unnels-future/
Old October 19th, 2016, 08:09 AM   #1388
prageethSL

Likes (Received): 3034

dimlys1994, nameless dude liked this post
prageethSL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2016, 06:43 PM   #1389
Woonsocket54
PC LOAD LETTER

Likes (Received): 5736

http://www.sfchronicle.com/bayarea/a...ks-9981990.php

Quote:
Pre-election opening for Warm Springs BART looks unlikely
By Matier & Ross | October 19, 2016 | Updated: October 19, 2016 6:00am
San Francisco Chronicle

BART’s hopes of having its new Warm Springs extension opened before voters decide on the system’s mega-$3.5 billion rehab bond are slipping away fast.

Transit system brass had initially planned on holding opening ceremonies this weekend — a photo op that would have been just in time for the Nov. 8 election, when BART is asking voters to approve Measure RR.

. . .

dimlys1994 liked this post
Woonsocket54 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2016, 10:29 PM   #1390
00Zy99

Likes (Received): 1506

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XbvY6zJqJiE

Contradicts this.

dimlys1994 liked this post
00Zy99 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2016, 10:52 PM   #1391
Woonsocket54
PC LOAD LETTER

Quote:
The KPIX report predates the newspaper column by about a week, so maybe when the TV report came out it was less likely that the opening would be delayed til later in the year.
Old October 19th, 2016, 10:54 PM   #1392
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

I actually went to one of the open houses for BART's Fleet of the Future at MacArthur BART (even though it was raining) with a friend visiting from Vermont, and it was really worth our time checking out what these trains will offer from next year.

IMG_6351 by Anthony Nachor, on Flickr

IMG_6353 by Anthony Nachor, on Flickr

IMG_6356 by Anthony Nachor, on Flickr

IMG_6355 by Anthony Nachor, on Flickr

IMG_6366 by Anthony Nachor, on Flickr

IMG_6370 by Anthony Nachor, on Flickr

IMG_6386 by Anthony Nachor, on Flickr

IMG_6403 by Anthony Nachor, on Flickr

IMG_6410 by Anthony Nachor, on Flickr

IMG_6414 by Anthony Nachor, on Flickr

And if you wanna see a Facebook Live video of that train, you can view it here on my blog.

Old October 19th, 2016, 11:02 PM   #1393
Woonsocket54
PC LOAD LETTER

Are BART lines going to now be referred to by color (I saw an electronic display saying "Orange Line to Richmond")?
Old October 19th, 2016, 11:19 PM   #1394
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

That remains to be a big question. I still prefer calling them by their end destinations rather than by colors since I've grown to use (and love) it. But, for the sake of infrequent travelers and so many tourists, the color names may be added to the line names to lessen confusion. Maybe the line most travelers would use would be the Yellow Line as it goes to SFO Airport; other commuters will simply look for the final destination of the train before boarding.

Old October 20th, 2016, 01:30 AM   #1395
00Zy99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woonsocket54 View Post
The KPIX report predates the newspaper column by about a week, so maybe when the TV report came out it was less likely that the opening would be delayed til later in the year.
Or maybe the newspaper is wrong. There could be any one of a number of reasons why.
Old October 20th, 2016, 01:38 AM   #1396
Woonsocket54
PC LOAD LETTER

Quote:
There could be any one of a number of reasons why.
Like what? It seems like you might be trying to say something without actually saying it. Are you referring to a hidden agenda?
Old October 20th, 2016, 02:06 AM   #1397
MrAronymous

Likes (Received): 6070

Uh, actually most systems around the world use end destinations combined with a line color. So that would be the most convenient for out of town travelers because that's most likely what they're used to.
MrAronymous no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2016, 03:13 AM   #1398
00Zy99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woonsocket54 View Post
Like what? It seems like you might be trying to say something without actually saying it. Are you referring to a hidden agenda?
Look closely at the authors.

Their tweets, their biographies, etc..
Old October 20th, 2016, 03:30 AM   #1399
Woonsocket54
PC LOAD LETTER

I am not going to look at their tweets but I think I understand exactly what you mean.
Old October 20th, 2016, 04:21 AM   #1400
00Zy99

Oh, good.

Tags
bart, muni, sacramento, san francisco, smart