daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems



Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.


Reply

 
Thread Tools
Old February 19th, 2017, 11:20 PM   #1441
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator
 
fieldsofdreams's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Manila • San Francisco
Posts: 18,804
Likes (Received): 11243

But then, Caltrain will eventually have to share rail trackage rights with CA HSR since the former already has the tracks. And yet, one of the key steps in electrifying and upgrading Caltrain into a high-speed rail line has been put on hold by the Trump government, hence the concern.
__________________
Anthony or FOD the MOD • Urban Studies & Planning, SF State, UC Berkeley, and San Jose State
Philippine Forums • SF Bay Area Forums • Bay Area Transit • NEW! SF Bay Area and NorCal in Pictures
Photo Albums: Flickr • Photobucket • Instagram

San Carlos • San Bruno • San Mateo • Saint Helena • Ross
fieldsofdreams no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 28th, 2017, 06:21 PM   #1442
dimlys1994
Moderator
 
dimlys1994's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Dniepropetrovsk
Posts: 16,336
Likes (Received): 26116

From Railway Gazette

http://www.railwaygazette.com/news/s...programme.html

Deadlines extended as Caltrain seeks to save electrification programme
28 Feb 2017



USA: San Francisco to San Jose commuter operator Caltrain announced on February 27 that it had reached agreement with contractors Balfour Beatty and Stadler to extend the contractual deadlines for start of work on the Peninsula Corridor Electrification Project.

Caltrain had been expected to issue ‘Notice to Proceed’ for both contracts by March 1, subject to confirmation of federal funding for the work. The delay to June 30 is designed to allow a decision to be made by the Federal Transit Administration on implementation of a $647m funding agreement. On February 17, FTA had announced that execution of the grant would be delayed until President Trump finalises his budget proposal to Congress

...
__________________
Для Вас:
Страница в ВК:

For you:
Facebook & Flickr pages

mrsmartman liked this post
dimlys1994 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2017, 07:52 PM   #1443
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator
 
fieldsofdreams's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Manila • San Francisco
Posts: 18,804
Likes (Received): 11243

Speaking of Caltrain, due to major track works, including:

- Grade separation in San Mateo (25th Street)
- Rehabilitation of Los Gatos Bridge
- Rehabilitation at and around South San Francisco Station

Caltrain will significantly adjust its schedules, with weekend schedules being heavily impacted. Changes include:

Stop adjustments:
- Four additional trains (two AM peak, two PM peak) will now stop at California Avenue
- Two additional southbound trains will serve Santa Clara to better meet ACE, Amtrak departures
- Remove reverse peak service to and from Tamien (AM southbound, PM northbound) to provide additional time for train maintenance and fueling

Service adjustments:
- Separation of Baby Bullet back-to-back scheduling during the AM reverse peak to better spread out passenger loads
- Departure time adjustments up to 15 minutes later to better serve passengers while allowing maintenance workers to work on the electrification project*
- Weekend and holiday service reduction from hourly trains to trains leaving every 90 minutes**

* - I actually petitioned Caltrain to keep the final NB departure out of San Jose at 10:30pm because it meets with the last BART train out of Millbrae (arrive 11:38pm, depart 11:49pm). The original plan would have entailed Caltrain to operate the last train out of SJ at 10:45pm, arriving in Millbrae at 11:51pm -- compare that with the final BART train at 11:49pm, and it becomes a hit-or-miss situation with connecting passengers to SFO Airport, Downtown San Francisco, and the East Bay. This plan was ultimately approved and the final departure from San Jose remains at 10:30pm.

** - See proposed schedule here for details

More information here
__________________
Anthony or FOD the MOD • Urban Studies & Planning, SF State, UC Berkeley, and San Jose State
Philippine Forums • SF Bay Area Forums • Bay Area Transit • NEW! SF Bay Area and NorCal in Pictures
Photo Albums: Flickr • Photobucket • Instagram

San Carlos • San Bruno • San Mateo • Saint Helena • Ross

dimlys1994, jchernin liked this post
fieldsofdreams no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2017, 06:59 AM   #1444
35thVidal
Registered User
 
35thVidal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 10
Likes (Received): 4

The news about Caltrain going basically from greenlit and funded to 'who the f knows' was mind blowing but at least they've still got a chance with the deadline extension... for now.

This is kind of switch up but I was wondering if anyone in the area has seen any of the new BART cars out testing yet? Or, more appropriately, the new BART complete train set. I'm on the Pittsburgh/Bay Point line almost every weekday during the usual commutes so didn't really expect to see them myself for a while but was wondering if anybody else had been so fortunate. Testing is well underway according to BART's website, but that site is always seriously lacking in updates to the public, especially for the railfans.

And I know about the open houses they did late last year but was thinking more along the line of seeing full speed, simulated service testing running through stations.

Thanks everyone.
35thVidal no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2017, 07:16 AM   #1445
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator
 
fieldsofdreams's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Manila • San Francisco
Posts: 18,804
Likes (Received): 11243

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35thVidal View Post
The news about Caltrain going basically from greenlit and funded to 'who the f knows' was mind blowing but at least they've still got a chance with the deadline extension... for now.

This is kind of switch up but I was wondering if anyone in the area has seen any of the new BART cars out testing yet? Or, more appropriately, the new BART complete train set. I'm on the Pittsburgh/Bay Point line almost every weekday during the usual commutes so didn't really expect to see them myself for a while but was wondering if anybody else had been so fortunate. Testing is well underway according to BART's website, but that site is always seriously lacking in updates to the public, especially for the railfans.

And I know about the open houses they did late last year but was thinking more along the line of seeing full speed, simulated service testing running through stations.

Thanks everyone.
As for the Caltrain kerfuffle, yes, the deadline may have been extended. But then, I thought: could Caltrain go to the route BART did when it initially rolled out the system where it received no Federal subsidies and relied on State and Local resources instead?

As for the new BART trains, I've seen a full consist docked at the Hayward Maintenance Yard, but I seriously don't know when it will actually be used for testing. I recall being at an open house for the new train in MacArthur some time last year, in which I really love the interior layout (and actual bike spaces too!). Not to mention, it has digital signages and information screens on board trains where it tells you where you are on the system. And the seats are way, way easier to clean and maintain than the ones we have today, lowering potential maintenance costs while providing high-quality regional service. So far, I believe I have counted 15 of those trains at Hayward, in which one can do a full 10-car consist from what they have... but then, those may have to wait until the Warm Springs extension is done.

(A little hint, though: I can ask some people from inside BART when those trains will finally run, in which I can either PM you or post here for updates)
__________________
Anthony or FOD the MOD • Urban Studies & Planning, SF State, UC Berkeley, and San Jose State
Philippine Forums • SF Bay Area Forums • Bay Area Transit • NEW! SF Bay Area and NorCal in Pictures
Photo Albums: Flickr • Photobucket • Instagram

San Carlos • San Bruno • San Mateo • Saint Helena • Ross
fieldsofdreams no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2017, 07:23 AM   #1446
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator
 
fieldsofdreams's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Manila • San Francisco
Posts: 18,804
Likes (Received): 11243

Here's the brand new livery with the VTA... with 6203 (Gillig Advantage LF Hybrid 40-footer, suburban) and 6402 (Gillig Advantage LF Hybrid 40-footer, urban). The suburban has 1 door, while the urban has 2.


IMG_5167 by Anthony Nachor, on Flickr


IMG_9081 by Anthony Nachor, on Flickr
__________________
Anthony or FOD the MOD • Urban Studies & Planning, SF State, UC Berkeley, and San Jose State
Philippine Forums • SF Bay Area Forums • Bay Area Transit • NEW! SF Bay Area and NorCal in Pictures
Photo Albums: Flickr • Photobucket • Instagram

San Carlos • San Bruno • San Mateo • Saint Helena • Ross

jchernin, dimlys1994, carl_Alm, mrsmartman liked this post
fieldsofdreams no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2017, 05:15 PM   #1447
Woonsocket54
PC LOAD LETTER
 
Woonsocket54's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: East Millinocket, Maine
Posts: 5,634
Likes (Received): 5736

"Costly Transbay Transit Center in busload of trouble"

http://www.sfchronicle.com/bayarea/m...f-10978749.php


Photo: Paul Chinn, The Chronicle
__________________

dimlys1994 liked this post
Woonsocket54 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2017, 06:43 PM   #1448
35thVidal
Registered User
 
35thVidal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 10
Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldsofdreams View Post
As for the Caltrain kerfuffle, yes, the deadline may have been extended. But then, I thought: could Caltrain go to the route BART did when it initially rolled out the system where it received no Federal subsidies and relied on State and Local resources instead?

As for the new BART trains, I've seen a full consist docked at the Hayward Maintenance Yard, but I seriously don't know when it will actually be used for testing. I recall being at an open house for the new train in MacArthur some time last year, in which I really love the interior layout (and actual bike spaces too!). Not to mention, it has digital signages and information screens on board trains where it tells you where you are on the system. And the seats are way, way easier to clean and maintain than the ones we have today, lowering potential maintenance costs while providing high-quality regional service. So far, I believe I have counted 15 of those trains at Hayward, in which one can do a full 10-car consist from what they have... but then, those may have to wait until the Warm Springs extension is done.

(A little hint, though: I can ask some people from inside BART when those trains will finally run, in which I can either PM you or post here for updates)
Thanks for the update! I agree the cars truly are the fleet of the future especially compared to what BART is currently working with - will seem like a night and day difference. I'll have to make a trip to the Hayward Yard to catch a peak too.

It would be awesome if you could find out exactly when those trains will run, and feel free to PM me or post here. It should be soon, no? They've been here for a while now. Also, don't get yourself in trouble with your inside BART connection which I'm quite jealous of I might add.
35thVidal no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2017, 10:44 AM   #1449
Tower Dude
Registered User
 
Tower Dude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: 76th Street Station
Posts: 1,044
Likes (Received): 593

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woonsocket54 View Post
"Costly Transbay Transit Center in busload of trouble"

http://www.sfchronicle.com/bayarea/m...f-10978749.php
Well schucks looks like SF is going to have to build the DtX after all without that sweet HSR Boost All kidding aside any ideas as to how the Bay Area is going to raise enough money to do this without federal aid?
__________________

"Make no small plans they lack the magic to stir men's blood!" - Daniel Burnham

"The scale is Roman and will have to be sustained."
- Charles Follen McKim (In a letter to a friend concerning the design of Penn Station)
Tower Dude está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2017, 03:52 PM   #1450
00Zy99
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 2,980
Likes (Received): 1506

Put tolls on the highways?
__________________

Nouvellecosse, lsg97 liked this post
00Zy99 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2017, 04:40 AM   #1451
35thVidal
Registered User
 
35thVidal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 10
Likes (Received): 4

Yep, nailed it.

Regional Measure 3 would add between 1-3 dollars on Bay Area bridge tolls to fund new transit projects.

Regional Measure 2 (RM2) passed in 2004 raising the tolls by 1 dollar and funding the Central Subway, Transit Center (minus the DTX extension, obviously), late night bus service, 4th Caldecott tunnel, and many other projects.

RM3 could make it to the ballot this year and go into effect 2018 assuming it passes with a simple majority.
__________________

jchernin liked this post
35thVidal no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2017, 05:03 AM   #1452
browntown
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 61
Likes (Received): 37

Let's be honest, the Transbay Terminal will be overran wit homeless within a few months and will be disgusting and worn out long before trains arrive (if ever). It had boondoggle written all over it since Day 1.
__________________

mrsmartman liked this post
browntown no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2017, 01:19 PM   #1453
Sopomon
Hideous and malformed
 
Sopomon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 870
Likes (Received): 153

Quote:
Originally Posted by browntown View Post
Let's be honest, the Transbay Terminal will be overran wit homeless within a few months and will be disgusting and worn out long before trains arrive (if ever). It had boondoggle written all over it since Day 1.
Anything can be a boondoggle if you dislike it enough
__________________
And he kicked so many rosebushes at her that eventually, Sasuke turned into a log.

jchernin, whatsuplucas, jay stew liked this post
Sopomon no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2017, 11:44 PM   #1454
moon993
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: San Francisco Bay Area
Posts: 59
Likes (Received): 34

http://ow.ly/J4Uc309NiXD
The Warm Springs BART station will open on March 25 2017
__________________

jchernin liked this post
moon993 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2017, 06:59 PM   #1455
Scizoid.Trans.Prog.
platfusy i koderaści sio
 
Scizoid.Trans.Prog.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Toronto
Posts: 1,171
Likes (Received): 312

Any photos of new BART trainsets?
__________________
Warszawa > Winnipeg > Toronto

Nie udzielam się na FPW.

24/1.8EX 50/1.4EX H85/1.5 70-300vc
Scizoid.Trans.Prog. no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2017, 09:02 PM   #1456
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator
 
fieldsofdreams's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Manila • San Francisco
Posts: 18,804
Likes (Received): 11243

If the report is final that Warm Springs BART will open in two weeks, I will be there. As for the new BART trains, I have some pics.


IMG_6351 by Anthony Nachor, on Flickr


IMG_6354 by Anthony Nachor, on Flickr


IMG_6356 by Anthony Nachor, on Flickr


IMG_6366 by Anthony Nachor, on Flickr


IMG_6370 by Anthony Nachor, on Flickr


IMG_6386 by Anthony Nachor, on Flickr


IMG_6388 by Anthony Nachor, on Flickr


IMG_6403 by Anthony Nachor, on Flickr


IMG_6410 by Anthony Nachor, on Flickr


IMG_6412 by Anthony Nachor, on Flickr
__________________
Anthony or FOD the MOD • Urban Studies & Planning, SF State, UC Berkeley, and San Jose State
Philippine Forums • SF Bay Area Forums • Bay Area Transit • NEW! SF Bay Area and NorCal in Pictures
Photo Albums: Flickr • Photobucket • Instagram

San Carlos • San Bruno • San Mateo • Saint Helena • Ross

DanielFA, Sterlyng65, mrsmartman, pudgym29 liked this post
fieldsofdreams no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2017, 09:24 PM   #1457
35thVidal
Registered User
 
35thVidal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 10
Likes (Received): 4

Hurrah for the Warm Springs extension! The official announcement video on the Bartable YouTube channel is epic and very well shot by drones, can't wait to check the whole area out.

Thank you fieldsofdreams too for the heads up about the new trainset being docked at South Hayward yard. I went and saw it this weekend along with the construction of the new maintenance facility for the incoming trains as well. It was also interesting to see the LIDAR (light detection and ranging) flatbed scanner at work between Hayward and the extension.
__________________

fieldsofdreams liked this post
35thVidal no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2017, 12:24 AM   #1458
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator
 
fieldsofdreams's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Manila • San Francisco
Posts: 18,804
Likes (Received): 11243

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35thVidal View Post
Hurrah for the Warm Springs extension! The official announcement video on the Bartable YouTube channel is epic and very well shot by drones, can't wait to check the whole area out.

Thank you fieldsofdreams too for the heads up about the new trainset being docked at South Hayward yard. I went and saw it this weekend along with the construction of the new maintenance facility for the incoming trains as well. It was also interesting to see the LIDAR (light detection and ranging) flatbed scanner at work between Hayward and the extension.
Did you mean the expansion of the Hayward Maintenance Facility or the Santa Clara one? BART has mentioned that it will open one in Santa Clara close to SJC Airport (possibly next to the Caltrain tracks)... As for the LIDAR, I've never noticed that, if at all.

If you want a preview of what Warm Springs BART will look like, look no further... I went there in October last year as part of a mobile workshop for a major transportation conference:


IMG_5969 by Anthony Nachor, on Flickr


IMG_5972 by Anthony Nachor, on Flickr


IMG_5977 by Anthony Nachor, on Flickr


IMG_5980 by Anthony Nachor, on Flickr


IMG_5985 by Anthony Nachor, on Flickr


IMG_5987 by Anthony Nachor, on Flickr


IMG_5991 by Anthony Nachor, on Flickr


IMG_6005 by Anthony Nachor, on Flickr


IMG_6034 by Anthony Nachor, on Flickr

In addition, at least 4 major construction projects take shape around the station wherein multi-family apartment units and office structures are being built to accommodate transit-oriented development.


IMG_6022 by Anthony Nachor, on Flickr


IMG_6017 by Anthony Nachor, on Flickr


IMG_6012 by Anthony Nachor, on Flickr


IMG_6019 by Anthony Nachor, on Flickr


IMG_6021 by Anthony Nachor, on Flickr


IMG_6023 by Anthony Nachor, on Flickr
__________________
Anthony or FOD the MOD • Urban Studies & Planning, SF State, UC Berkeley, and San Jose State
Philippine Forums • SF Bay Area Forums • Bay Area Transit • NEW! SF Bay Area and NorCal in Pictures
Photo Albums: Flickr • Photobucket • Instagram

San Carlos • San Bruno • San Mateo • Saint Helena • Ross

Babenhausen Sόd liked this post
fieldsofdreams no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2017, 08:11 AM   #1459
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator
 
fieldsofdreams's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Manila • San Francisco
Posts: 18,804
Likes (Received): 11243

According to a former BART operator who has insider access to BART operations, service to Warm Springs BART will be as follows:

Weekdays: (from 27 March 2017)
From Warm Springs
> From 4am to 5:45pm - trains operate to Daly City via Downtown SF
> From 5:54pm to 1am - trains operate to Richmond via Downtown Oakland
> For service to Downtown SF, SFO Airport, or Millbrae after 5:45pm, transfer at either Bay Fair or 12th Street/Oakland

To Warm Springs
> Trains from Union City begin service to Warm Springs at 4:46am
> Trains from Daly City begin service to Warm Springs at 5:11am and end at 6:56pm
> Trains from Richmond begin service to Warm Springs at 4:47pm and end at 12:17am
> For service from Downtown SF, SFO Airport, or Millbrae after 7pm, transfer at either Balboa Park (then Bay Fair), 12th Street/Oakland, or Lake Merritt

Weekends and Holidays: (from 25 March 2017)
From Warm Springs
> All trains operate to Richmond via Downtown Oakland
> For service to Downtown SF, SFO Airport, and Millbrae, transfer at either Bay Fair or 12th Street/Oakland
> For additional service to Downtown SF and Daly City on Saturdays, transfer at Fremont

To Warm Springs
> All trains operate from Richmond via Downtown Oakland
> For service from Millbrae, SFO Airport, or Downtown SF, transfer at either Balboa Park (then Bay Fair), 12th Street/Oakland, or Lake Merritt

In addition, a celebratory opening event will take place on 24 March 2017 from 10am to noon wherein the public is invited. Free BART shuttles will be available between Fremont and Warm Springs stations from 8:45am to 1pm, operating with 15 to 20-minute intervals. Details here
__________________
Anthony or FOD the MOD • Urban Studies & Planning, SF State, UC Berkeley, and San Jose State
Philippine Forums • SF Bay Area Forums • Bay Area Transit • NEW! SF Bay Area and NorCal in Pictures
Photo Albums: Flickr • Photobucket • Instagram

San Carlos • San Bruno • San Mateo • Saint Helena • Ross

dimlys1994, pudgym29 liked this post

Last edited by fieldsofdreams; March 13th, 2017 at 10:24 PM.
fieldsofdreams no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2017, 08:35 AM   #1460
mrsmartman
Registered User
 
mrsmartman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 1,378
Likes (Received): 1452

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimlys1994 View Post
From Railway Gazette

http://www.railwaygazette.com/news/s...programme.html

Deadlines extended as Caltrain seeks to save electrification programme
28 Feb 2017



USA: San Francisco to San Jose commuter operator Caltrain announced on February 27 that it had reached agreement with contractors Balfour Beatty and Stadler to extend the contractual deadlines for start of work on the Peninsula Corridor Electrification Project.

Caltrain had been expected to issue ‘Notice to Proceed’ for both contracts by March 1, subject to confirmation of federal funding for the work. The delay to June 30 is designed to allow a decision to be made by the Federal Transit Administration on implementation of a $647m funding agreement. On February 17, FTA had announced that execution of the grant would be delayed until President Trump finalises his budget proposal to Congress

...
Why this train has so many doors?
mrsmartman no está en línea   Reply With Quote


Reply

Tags
bart, muni, sacramento, san francisco, smart

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Related topics on SkyscraperCity


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 05:54 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

SkyscraperCity ☆ In Urbanity We trust ☆ about us | privacy policy | DMCA policy

tech management by Sysprosium