daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 24th, 2010, 05:35 PM   #141
Falubaz

Likes (Received): 2940

The racks for the bicycles in front of the buses is a great idea! Pity it's not worldwide. I saw it only in States and Canada.

₪₪₪Zielona Góra moim okiem₪₪₪ Zielonogórskie autobusy₪₪₪Port Lotniczy ZIElona Góra₪₪₪ BRT₪₪₪ścieżki rowerowe w ZG
₪₪₪[Świat] „Przebłyski pamięci”₪₪₪Moja Ameryka - nie tylko Stany
Falubaz no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 24th, 2010, 06:42 PM   #142
trainrover
:-x

Likes (Received): 738

Closer to the dawn of the net, I saw some photos of some 1950s-esque, mildly streamlined-looking, Bay-area train that was reported shut/about to be shut. I can't remember its name, it was like a light metro, kind of looked like Seattle's monorail cars, and with high-platformed stations (and outdoors too?).

Any chance of seeing such photos launched here?
trainrover no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2010, 10:09 PM   #143
FDW

Likes (Received): 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falubaz View Post
The racks for the bicycles in front of the buses is a great idea! Pity it's not worldwide. I saw it only in States and Canada.
Yeah, you see a lot of bicyclists here in the Bay Area, on the interior pic of that VTA LRV you can see on left an area where bicyclists can put up their bikes, and even the MCI Coaches that GGT and AC Transit use have a bike rack made from a modified luggage compartment near the Lower-front part of the bus.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trainrover View Post
Closer to the dawn of the net, I saw some photos of some 1950s-esque, mildly streamlined-looking, Bay-area train that was reported shut/about to be shut. I can't remember its name, it was like a light metro, kind of looked like Seattle's monorail cars, and with high-platformed stations (and outdoors too?). Any chance of seeing such photos launched here?
It might have been a picture of a Key System train, which looked like this:

It was an interurban service (interurban (or suburban) railways in the US could be seen as a precursor to modern Light Rail in the US) between the East Bay and San Francisco before 1939 the Key system operated to a ferry pier on the bay that provided service to San Francisco's Ferry Terminal, after 1939 the system provided direct service over the San Francisco-Oakland Bay Bridge to the Transbay Terminal in D.T. San Francisco in provided service there until the Key System was scrapped in 1958 and replaced with bus service, the buses continued to serve the terminal until it was torn down in August 2010.
FDW no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2010, 04:44 AM   #144
FDW

Okay, now we go on to the State captial of California, Sacramento.

SACRAMENTO REGIONAL TRANSIT DISTRICT

Routes: 65 bus, 2 LRT
Service area: 417 sq mi (about half of Sacramento County, most of it urban or suburban.)
Weekday Ridership: 124,000 (split evenly between the LRT system and the bus system)
Start of operations: 1973
Fleet Size: 274 buses, 97 LRV's (most sites don't count the 21 UTDC LRV's SACRT purchased from VTA in 2003-2004, counting only the Siemens and CAF LRV's for a total of 76 LRV's)
Current system map: Central City Everything else
Sacramento's Transit system would be rather unremarkable if it's wasn't for the fact that it has had one of the more successful LRT systems in the US. Sacramento's LRT success came in part because it followed the mantra of San Diego's successful system: keep it cheap at first, and expand it later. The result was a system that started out as a 60% single track system, since then some area's have been double tracked so that the system is only about 25% single tracked and also platforms have been expanded to accomodate 4-car trains.

Siemens LRV painted in current SACRT livery.

Siemens LRV in original livery. (SACRT has 36 Siemens cars)

Siemens LRV interior.

CAF LRV. (These arrived in 2003 to help serve the South line and the Folsom Extension.)

CAF LRV in 4-car consist.

CAF LRV interior.

An unusual picture, 3-car train consisting 2 Siemens LRV's (in different liveries) and 1 CAF LRV.

image hosted on flickr

Ex-VTA UTDC LRV. (Sacramento purchased 21 of these LRV's from VTA for future extensions. So far they've gone completely unused, this is one the few in the SACRT livery.)

Funny Dog statues at Zinfadel station (SACRT has some hilarious station names like "Starfire" and "Watt/Manlove" it really cracks me up)

SACRT Orion V 30ft bus (oldest buses currently in service for SACRT)

SACRT Orion V 40ft bus (All of SACRT's buses are powered by Compressed Natural Gas, with the exception of a few shuttle vehicles)

SACRT Orion VII 40ft LF bus (SACRT's first Low Floor buses, and first with LED destination signs)

SACRT Orion VII 40ft LF bus (I like SACRT's current livery because it doesn't have much white in it)

SACRT Orion VII NG LF bus (Sacramento's newest buses)

Shuttle buses used for paratransit and low ridership lines.

Well that was quick. After this point all updates on bay area will be featuring multiple agencies, so I guess I'll show you what the game plan looks from here on out:

We've already done these systems:

1. San Francisco Municipal Railway
2. Bay Area Rapid Transit
3. Alameda Contra-Costa Transit
4. Golden Gate Transit/Ferry
5. Santa Clara Valley Transit Authority
6. Sacramento Regional Transit District

And ahead we've got:

7. Sam Trans/Caltrain
8. Other East Bay bus systems (Emery-go-round, AirBART, Union City Transit, West CAT, County Connection, Wheels (LAVTA), and Tri-Delta)
9. Other Bay Area Ferry Lines (Baylink, Oakland-SF, Bay Farm Island-SF, Blue and Gold, Red and White, etc)
10. Other Bay Area Commuter Rail lines (Capitol corridor, Altamont Commuter Express, Amtrak San Joaquin services)
11. Other Bay Area Railways (San Francisco Cable Car, San Jose and Sacramento tourist trolleys, Napa Valley Vine Train, etc)
12. Other North Bay bus systems (Sonoma Transit, Petaluma Transit, Santa Rosa City bus, VINE, Healdsburg Transit, Cloverdale Transit, American Canyon Transit, Vallejo Transit, Bencia, Breeze, Rio Vista Delta Breeze, Fairfield and Suisun transit, Vacaville city coach)
13. Monterey Bay Transit systems (Santa Cruz METRO, Monterey-Salinas Transit, San Benito Transit, Hwy 17 express)
14. Central Valley Transit systems (Modesto Area Express, San Joaquin RTD, Manteca Transit)
15. University based transit systems (Unitrans, Bear Transit, Marguerite, UCSF, Academy of Art University)

And that will wrap up existing public transit, from there I'll talk about what's coming next for the Bay Area in terms of Public Transit.

geometarkv liked this post

Last edited by FDW; October 25th, 2010 at 05:03 AM.
Old October 26th, 2010, 01:16 AM   #145
trainrover

Quote:
Originally Posted by FDW View Post
It might have been a picture of a Key System train, which looked like this:

It was an interurban service (interurban (or suburban) railways in the US could be seen as a precursor to modern Light Rail in the US) between the East Bay and San Francisco before 1939 the Key system operated to a ferry pier on the bay that provided service to San Francisco's Ferry Terminal, after 1939 the system provided direct service over the San Francisco-Oakland Bay Bridge to the Transbay Terminal in D.T. San Francisco in provided service there until the Key System was scrapped in 1958 and replaced with bus service, the buses continued to serve the terminal until it was torn down in August 2010.
I think that's the system; interesting, thank you.

Last edited by deasine; October 26th, 2010 at 02:45 AM. Reason: Picture Removal
Old October 26th, 2010, 02:42 AM   #146
quashlo

Likes (Received): 3215

The Key System was definitely a fascinating interurban network... A real loss, although BART does a semi-decent job as a replacement.

If I remember correctly, I read somewhere they used to couple five of the articulated bridge units together on special runs to Berkeley for football games at Memorial Stadium. Must have been a fantastic sight rolling down Shattuck Avenue...

Historically, the Key System is probably notable for a few things:

1. Inventing the diamond pantograph
2. Dual current collection systems (third-rail on the bridge, plus overhead catenary on city streets)
3. The long bridge pier from West Oakland jutting into the Bay, and the ferryboat for the last leg into San Francisco
quashlo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2010, 09:51 AM   #147
FDW

Quote:
Originally Posted by quashlo View Post
The Key System was definitely a fascinating interurban network... A real loss, although BART does a semi-decent job as a replacement.

If I remember correctly, I read somewhere they used to couple five of the articulated bridge units together on special runs to Berkeley for football games at Memorial Stadium. Must have been a fantastic sight rolling down Shattuck Avenue...

Historically, the Key System is probably notable for a few things:

1. Inventing the diamond pantograph
2. Dual current collection systems (third-rail on the bridge, plus overhead catenary on city streets)
3. The long bridge pier from West Oakland jutting into the Bay, and the ferryboat for the last leg into San Francisco
The Key system routes have been preserved in the form of the bus routes that replaced (though some parts of those have changed and only one of the ex-key routes (that was originally a Rail line) still has all-day service (The F between UC Berkeley and D.T. San Francisco). I've read up on the Key System and on opening day they used 7-car units on the Bay Bridge, though throughout much of the Bay bridge period 3-car units were used for service efficiencies on the rail loop in the Transbay Terminal (and only half of the 88 units built ended up being needed for regular service once the system was built).

Yeah, the rail line over the Bay bridge wasn't just Dual collection, it was dual current and dual collection because of the separate requirements of the three systems that originally ran over the Bay Bridge. (Southern Pacific, which was one of the biggest Rail companies in the Western United States, and Sacramento Northern which operated between Oakland and Chico via Concord, Pittsburgh, Sacramento and Yuba City.) However that investment ended up being useless because both Sacramento Northern and Southern Pacific ended up abandoning services over the Bay Bridge in 1941, just 2 years after service over the Bay Bridge began.

As for the Piers, the Key system was not the only interurban system that had connections to ferries, arguably SP had a more extensive system, but yeah the Key Mole was really long. (the bay bridge ended up using a chunk of it's ROW for it's landing.)
Old October 26th, 2010, 07:38 PM   #148
Teach

Likes (Received): 19

Quote:
I saved best for last, I give you THE FUTURE!!! (Of AC Transit's bus fleet)
Actually, that order has been cancelled. There were problems getting the C3045 certified in the US and the bus you see in those pictures is the only one built.
Teach no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2010, 08:13 PM   #149
FDW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teach View Post
Actually, that order has been cancelled. There were problems getting the C3045 certified in the US and the bus you see in those pictures is the only one built.
I did not know that, when did the cancellation happen?
Old October 26th, 2010, 09:45 PM   #150
Teach

Quote:
I did not know that, when did the cancellation happen?
A few months ago.
Old October 27th, 2010, 04:00 AM   #151
FDW

Quote:
A few months ago.
Can you point me to a relevant article on that?
Old October 27th, 2010, 07:14 PM   #152
Teach

Quote:
Can you point me to a relevant article on that?
No article. My brother works for Van Hool, he's the one who told me.
Old October 28th, 2010, 08:33 AM   #153
FDW

Quote:
No article. My brother works for Van Hool, he's the one who told me.
I'll take your word for it. (I've found info on the web that supports your claim, though It's kind of indirect in nature)
Old October 28th, 2010, 09:15 PM   #154
Falubaz

Some trams and troleybuses

[IMG]http://i56.************/2w3oy9x.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i56.************/n6v13a.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i56.************/2625r3a.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i56.************/nyy4ae.jpg[/IMG]

₪₪₪Zielona Góra moim okiem₪₪₪ Zielonogórskie autobusy₪₪₪Port Lotniczy ZIElona Góra₪₪₪ BRT₪₪₪ścieżki rowerowe w ZG

geometarkv liked this post
Old October 30th, 2010, 06:08 PM   #155
trainrover

Quote:
Originally Posted by quashlo View Post
third-rail on the bridge
Ah! so the quality of the photos is far better than I'd presumed...
Old November 1st, 2010, 02:10 PM   #156
greg_christine

Likes (Received): 142

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falubaz View Post
[IMG]http://i56.************/2625r3a.jpg[/IMG]
An interesting thing about the above image is that the streetcar and the trolley bus are using the same wires. The streetcar uses just one wire of the two-wire system. A modern streetcar with a pantograph instead of a trolley pole wouldn't be able to do that.
greg_christine no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2010, 07:00 PM   #157
Falubaz

Exactly! That's why i took this picture.

Old November 2nd, 2010, 02:33 AM   #158
TheKorean
BANNED

Likes (Received): 7

Very old street cars. Why arent the Muni replacing them?
TheKorean no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2010, 02:43 AM   #159
Gag Halfrunt

Likes (Received): 27

They're from the F Market & Wharves heritage streetcar line.
Gag Halfrunt no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2010, 02:49 AM   #160
TheKorean
BANNED

Likes (Received): 7

Oh, so that line is for the tourism purpose?
TheKorean no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
bart, muni, sacramento, san francisco, smart