daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Photo Forums > Urban Showcase

Urban Showcase Show your selfmade photos

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 13th, 2010, 02:08 PM   #1
Jan
High there, what's up!

Likes (Received): 16427

My Ekaburg

On Monday I pretty much had a full day to myself in Ekaterinburg and since the weather was glorious (my first days always are for some reason) I decided to check out the place. In front of the hotel in Borisa Yeltsina street is a compact but pretty park. The old lady was strolling the place in her own little pace, and sometimes she just stopped to take her time and look around or look at the trees. I think life is rather splendid like that. Makes me realize I'm usually running when I think I'm walking.

Gorodskoy Prud, or the city Pond on the left.

Girl knitting alongside the pond.

I am not associating the symbols of communism with the political system but merely as a design style. As such I have a weak spot for this kind of modern industrial design stuff. This is the spire of the local city hall.

It's probably my Western arrogance to think that after the communistic era the people would have taken down these just like these images we were shown in Iraq, but this one is still standing tall on Prospekt Lenina near the central square, the Ploshchad' 1905 goda.

Caption of Lenin's statue, interstingly with flowers stuck on the letters.

Pagoda, or rotunda as the Russians seems to call them, where Prospekt Lenina meets the pond. Picturesque setting for a picture.

Probably because I am used to cities in which everyone is busy and running, I found a remarkable number of people who just stand or sit around contemplating. This girl must have stood here for at least half an hour.

Because of the park-like setting on both banks of the river Iset river, the dividing line between East and West of the city is also its central and bonding feature. In good Russian style, the squares are wide an open and contain a number of status and memorials. Here is one.

I think the Cyrillic alphabet looks rather cool, especially some of the font types make it look so.

The railing of one of the bridging spanning the Iset river is a place where people literally lock their love, at least that what it looks like judging by the shape of some of the locks and the inscriptions on them.

The idea that the metro is a people's possession produces some fantastic stations. Comparing to these, Chicago's CTA stations are an embarrassment. Ekaterinburg may not have many a big train system but the stations look fantastic.

Another great example of Industrial Design.

Prospekt Kosmonavtov station.

...and my personal favorite, the Uralmash station.

One comment though is that they put too many advertisements in the stations and especially the trains themselves. It seems they seem to enjoy plaster them all over.

Birdie shat your cap comrade.

Reflection on Communism vs. Capitalism

Section of a statue next to the Antey complex, girl listening, or more like admiring, the bloke playing the guitar. I was explained the guy was famous but I forgot who it is.

It's sweet to see that many of the public seats are being occupied by couples of lovers to meet up and do some sweet-talking or whatever it is that couples do when they can spare some time together in the open. And while we're on the subject (well, sort of) let the record show that Ekaterinburg has some of the most prettiest, slender and feminine looking girls around. This place is for guys what Italy or France seems to be for woman. Typically a girl looks definitely European but with a nice Asian touch to it, and always on high heels and a 'talking' pair of pants'. This is especially striking as most of the local guys look like they take quite a casual approach when it comes to appearance and personal grooming. Even I get the looks as if I'm George frigging Clooney, which means things much be pretty desperate down here. It wasn't until a rang a good friend of mine, who is married to a Russian girl, explained to me the basic demographics saying that there appears to be quite a surplus of woman around (and I got this confirmed three times by some locals) which explains why there seems to be some stiff competition going on, some not too shy to overdo it a bit.

Area of the Borisa Yeltsina street at the bank of the Pond. This area is designated as a tall building area with some new towers under construction.

I'm just posting this image because the autumn palette is showing nice on it, although it's interesting to see that underneath the classical plastered facade of the building is just a wall of brick.

View on the Pond from Dynamo Square. By the time you are at any Dynamo Square, you know you are in Russia. Ekaterinburg's never completed TV tower in the backdrop.

Some large building at the Pond, of which you only see how decayed it is when being up close. When you are you also see that the tallest section must be a new or renovated section. Typically this building is overloaded with design details, but I guess that's a bit of a Russian thing.

Russian graffiti.

If that was me getting married, I would change the backdrop 45 degrees clockwise.

Panorama on the Pond seen from the bridge on Ulitsa Chelyuskintsev.

Panorama on the Pond seen from the swimming pool floor of the hotel.

The next day I was rather lucky to wake up with a flaring sunrise. Hello there Ekaburg!

Same moment, image of the Church on the Blood against a blood red backdrop.

I'll post some more tall building stuff later, cheers.
Jan no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 13th, 2010, 11:18 PM   #2
void0
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2870

Nice report! BTW, what was your purpose of visiting Eburg? Tourist or business?
void0 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2010, 12:47 AM   #3
Chadoh25

Likes (Received): 805

Great job!
Chadoh25 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2010, 01:14 AM   #4
Singidunum
Grad Oblakodera

Likes (Received): 16177

Nice It seems that Ekaterinburg is one the best doing cities in Russia these days

Did you move to Russia or it was just a visit?

Potpišite peticiju protiv rušenja Generalštaba!
Singidunum no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2010, 02:12 AM   #5
FREKI
Lord of Legoland

Likes (Received): 6395

Cool pics - looks like a nice place to visit..
Old October 14th, 2010, 02:44 AM   #6
Parisian Girl
MONACO _ Côte d'Azur

Likes (Received): 2829

Nice tour, Jan Indeed, from all accounts, a very interesting city. Those metro stations are just wonderful. Some of the best in the world from what I've heard.
Old October 14th, 2010, 05:30 AM   #7
JoseRodolfo
NON DVCOR DVCO

Likes (Received): 91

Cool
JoseRodolfo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2010, 10:16 AM   #8
AlekseyVT
BANNED

Likes (Received): 7094

Thanks. It's always interesting to see quality photo reports with comments of Western visitors.
AlekseyVT no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2010, 12:02 PM   #9
christos-greece
Moderator!

Likes (Received): 244820

Great, very nice photo tour from Ekaterinburg, Jan
christos-greece no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2010, 02:12 PM   #10
Elvenking

Likes (Received): 2579

Thanks for these very nice pics
"A pan myślisz, że chaotyczne kombinacje efemerycznych pryncypiów są w stanie zdeterminować neutralną cywitatywę absolutnego relatywizmu immanentno-transcendentalnej solipsystycznej jaźni? Tak czy nie?! Gadaj pan!!!"
Elvenking no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2010, 10:40 PM   #11
LarisaCh
BANNED

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan View Post

It's probably my Western arrogance to think that after the communistic era the people would have taken down these just like these images we were shown in Iraq, but this one is still standing tall on Prospekt Lenina near the central square, the Ploshchad' 1905 goda.
When NATO hordes will invade and destroy our country, may be you can see these images.
LarisaCh no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2010, 02:02 AM   #12
Elvenking

Likes (Received): 2579

You seriously have some problem.
"A pan myślisz, że chaotyczne kombinacje efemerycznych pryncypiów są w stanie zdeterminować neutralną cywitatywę absolutnego relatywizmu immanentno-transcendentalnej solipsystycznej jaźni? Tak czy nie?! Gadaj pan!!!"
Elvenking no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2010, 08:45 AM   #13
mirrow_ak

Likes (Received): 18

Nice photo, Jan! It's interesting to see my city from another angle of view
Waiting for a next part

Don't listen LarisaCh
mirrow_ak no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2010, 08:56 AM   #14
paRadoX_2

Likes (Received): 0

Thanks for the pictures
paRadoX_2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2010, 11:59 AM   #15
AlekseyVT
BANNED

Likes (Received): 7094

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarisaCh View Post
When NATO hordes will invade and destroy our country, may be you can see these images.
Larisa, what's your problem? The man did quality photosession with excellent comments. Why need your BS?
AlekseyVT no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2010, 09:39 PM   #16
Andre_idol
Fluorescent Adolescent

Likes (Received): 431

I really like when someone takes a set of great photos of a beautiful city and share them with some captions and personal opinions about it. Great thread

I really liked the picture of the girl knitting and the "capitalism vs communism" one.
Old November 5th, 2010, 09:13 PM   #17
newbiecrftr
Registered Us3r

Likes (Received): 209

just a little moar photos of Ekburg
My Ekburg 2, by Jan
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=1238647

Last edited by newbiecrftr; November 11th, 2010 at 10:30 PM.
newbiecrftr no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2010, 09:50 PM   #18
JohnFlint1985
I love New York

Likes (Received): 6562

Very nice pictures.

"Dissent is the highest form of patriotism.” Thomas Jefferson
"We Shall Never Surrender." Winston Churchill
“Not all those who wander are lost.” J.R.R. Tolkien
"Patriotism is the virtue of the vicious." Oscar Wilde
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin
JohnFlint1985 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2010, 05:38 AM   #19
groentje
New Brusseleir

Likes (Received): 3

Russia is full of unknown gems such as these, but unfortunately, they're a bit lost in that same country. It's just to freakin' big
Love your photos, btw.
groentje no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2010, 05:23 PM   #20
newbiecrftr
Registered Us3r

Likes (Received): 209

If someone like Jan's metro photos and share his attitude ("stations look fantastic" ) towards stations, u can feel free to check recent Gelio's photo set in livejournal
http://translate.google.com/translat...%2F124378.html (Eng, via creepy google translate)
http://gelio-nsk.livejournal.com/124378.html (Rus, direct link)
more info and photos available at "RUSSIA | Urban Transport Compilation" thread

img source http://gelio-nsk.livejournal.com/124378.html

Last edited by newbiecrftr; November 8th, 2010 at 05:29 PM.
newbiecrftr no está en línea   Reply With Quote