SkyscraperCity Forum banner

Ukiyo's Himeji! (castle) 姫路市

16K views 34 replies 18 participants last post by  Teslatron 
#1 · (Edited)
Himeji is a nice city in the Kinki (kansai) region of Japan (this region is contains the Osaka Metropolitan Area [and it's also my home region !!]). It's most famous for it's White Castle. Himeji Castle dates to around 1333 but its reached its current form around the late 1500s. Himeji Castle is one of the only few intact castles in Japan (it escaped war and earthquakes), it's the largest and most visited castle in Japan. It is known as the "White Heron" castle, can you see a resemblance? :)

Himeji Castle started rennovation in 2010, luckily I saw it before it completely started (I went to Himeji in May, 2010). It won't be possible to view Himeji for a few years, until 2015 I believe, so I went to see it one last time ^_^.

I'll add some photos everynow and then.

#12 ·
Thanks so much for all of the comments :)

I do have some city pictures which I'll post later but it's mostly Castle pictures, thats why I put castle in parenthesis in my title. But don't worry, I have a huge thread of Kobe and Osaka still to make, and these cities are in the same region and show real urbanity ;)

#11 ·
Japanese castle's look much more inviting than European ones :)

Great pictures!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.