daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Photo Forums > Urban Showcase

Urban Showcase Show your selfmade photos

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 15th, 2010, 06:12 AM   #1
Vecais Sakarnis

Likes (Received): 735

*** RIGA, Latvia in HIGH DEFINITION *** (Warning! Full HD display and very fast internet connection required!)

Hello, city lovers!
I think it's time to enjoy photos in new, 21st Century quality. Quality which can give you a sense of presence. Presence in Northern European capital city Riga. Riga is known for it's beautiful architecture - you'll see it here in 1500x1000 size pictures. Pictures will sometimes show you also some other stunning parts of Latvia.
This is more like an experiment because I really don't know how many people will be able to enjoy this thread. If there won't be much interest and demand for such photos then I'll wont bother you with them anymore.

1. This is view across part of Riga from St Peter's church in lovely summer day. The closest houses belongs to Old Town, while farther you see Riga's centre area and very far in the background you can notice Soviet time commieblock areas.

2. House of Blackheads - a building in Old Town which is one of the major tourist attractions. It is complete reconstruction of the authentic building which was destroyed in World War 2.

3. Snowfall right in your face... in another one of must-see places in Riga - Alberta street. It is heaven of the famous Riga's Art Nouveau.

4. Riga's natural feature is really wide river Daugava (500-600 m) flowing right through the city centre. If there is a river, then of course, you need bridges too and Riga's Railway bridge after the realised ilumination project couple of years ago looks really stunning at night. So stunning, that pictures can't show it, even in HD version it's just a glimpse of how it looks in reality.

5. Only couple of hundred meters away from Railway bridge, in architectonical harmony with it, there stands Riga's Central Market pavillions - truly unique building. They were built from 1st World War zeppelin hangars constructions and is home to one of the largest marketplaces in Europe. In total there are 5 hangars (one for meat, one for bread, one for dairy products, one for fruits and vegetables and one for fishes) - here you see 4 of them.

STRASBOURG & BRUSSELS 2013 BERLIN 2012 VILNIUS 2013 TALLINN 2012 MADRID 2011 PARIS 2008 ROME 2008 MARSEILLE 2008 WARSAW 2008

UPCOMING: Malta 2013 | Cagliari 2013 | Amsterdam 2013 | Stockholm 2011

Galro liked this post

Last edited by Vecais Sakarnis; October 18th, 2010 at 12:33 AM.
Vecais Sakarnis no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 15th, 2010, 12:19 PM   #2
christos-greece
Moderator!

Likes (Received): 244616

So far really great, very nice photos from Riga; those photos HD quality its great
christos-greece está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2010, 12:59 PM   #3
agent 007
BANNED

Likes (Received): 82

Really enjoyed these pictures. Thanks you!
agent 007 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2011, 01:55 AM   #4
Kampflamm
Endorsed by the NRA

Can we have more, please.

"I think it's a privilege to call yourself a Wunderbarler and it's something that you have to earn."
Kampflamm no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2011, 03:54 PM   #5
Nightsky
Illustrator

Likes (Received): 3763

No problem to load them here, really great photos! I would really like to see more HD photos. What is the definition of a HD photo, is it the camera technique or the resolution that defines it?

Website about my travels and buildings in USA and Europe -many cool pics:
http://www.worldtravelimages.net

All my diagram drawings - more than 700!:
http://skyscraperpage.com/diagrams/?14670510
Nightsky no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2011, 07:35 PM   #6
Geborgenheit
Libération

Likes (Received): 9549

Ļoti labi !
Geborgenheit no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2011, 09:51 PM   #7
Tin_Can

MOAR!!!

Well hidden thread,lucky that I discovered it now I see that you use your own site for storing photos now. Works flawlessly,instant page loading Not that crappy flickr,tinypic,imageshack etc. style 'click on a photo thread and then go make yourself a cup of coffee before you can see pics' kind of crap.
Tin_Can no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2011, 10:06 PM   #8
Benonie
Bike It!

Likes (Received): 19814

Great stuff. More please!
Benonie está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2011, 10:11 PM   #9
Askario
Ultimate Aero

Likes (Received): 14590

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benonie View Post
Great stuff. More please!
+1
Askario no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2011, 10:11 PM   #10
Urbanista1
Here and Now

Likes (Received): 5287

wow, that was a trip. thanks!

Warsaw Post-War Reconstruction to Present
Urbanista1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2011, 01:39 AM   #11
Vecais Sakarnis

Thanks, guys. I will add some more HD ones from Riga.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightsky View Post
What is the definition of a HD photo, is it the camera technique or the resolution that defines it?
Well, HD resolution is 1920x1080 px. I make these pics 1500x1000 - to give them full appearance on HD display because there is always some other things taking space - windows taskbar, internet browser taskbars...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin_Can View Post
I see that you use your own site for storing photos now. Works flawlessly,instant page loading Not that crappy flickr,tinypic,imageshack etc. style 'click on a photo thread and then go make yourself a cup of coffee before you can see pics' kind of crap.
yes, I also gave up with that Imageshack. It turned shamelessly slow last time. I made a wordpress powered blog and parked on my domain, and thus also get an access to really comfortable admin mode for uploading pics, copying their addresses and sharing them.

STRASBOURG & BRUSSELS 2013 BERLIN 2012 VILNIUS 2013 TALLINN 2012 MADRID 2011 PARIS 2008 ROME 2008 MARSEILLE 2008 WARSAW 2008

Old January 14th, 2011, 03:21 AM   #12
Vecais Sakarnis

This time a bit urban views.

6. Barona street in it's lively essence. This street with some grand and interesting architecture goes about 2km from Old Town through 19th Century quarters. Btw, can you find a lion in this pic?

7. Another always lively place is Kaļķu street and the Liberty monument square, the place where Old Town meets Boulevard Ring.

8. The same place viewed from other side. Hot and sunny summer day.

9. Brīvības street - even longer than Barona. It goes about 3km through centre and then continues with historical and then less and less historical architecture in total 12 km length.
Btw, what Agent Smith is doing here (in the right lower part the man in black suit with black sunglasses)? Oh, right, he's catching Neo who last year took actions in Latvia.

10. Radisson Blue Latvia hotel highrise and the advertisement of department store "Centrs", placed exactly opposite to recently opened another department store "Galleria Riga".

11. 13th January street is southern borderline of historical centre, on it's right side there are located Citadele multihall cinema, Stockmann shopping centre, and farther (where the clock tower is visible) - Riga central station.

Galro liked this post
Old January 14th, 2011, 06:39 PM   #13
Benonie
Bike It!

Likes (Received): 19814

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vecais Sakarnis View Post
yes, I also gave up with that Imageshack. It turned shamelessly slow last time. I made a wordpress powered blog and parked on my domain, and thus also get an access to really comfortable admin mode for uploading pics, copying their addresses and sharing them.
Well, the result is very good. Just visited your site and it's better than the Riga-tourist site...
Benonie está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2011, 06:59 PM   #14
Vecais Sakarnis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benonie View Post
Well, the result is very good. Just visited your site and it's better than the Riga-tourist site...
Vow, thanks!
But... which one you visited?
Photoriga.com, Urbancentre.net/citylife or Urbancentre.net?

Old August 22nd, 2011, 05:06 AM   #15
JohnFlint1985
I love New York

Likes (Received): 6562

Vecais Sakarnis as always - the BEST. No any other words!!! Perfect job man! Thank you.

"Dissent is the highest form of patriotism.” Thomas Jefferson
"We Shall Never Surrender." Winston Churchill
“Not all those who wander are lost.” J.R.R. Tolkien
"Patriotism is the virtue of the vicious." Oscar Wilde
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin
JohnFlint1985 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2011, 10:43 AM   #16
Linguine
leisure cook

Likes (Received): 3939

Awesome!!!....great quality pics indeed...
Old April 15th, 2012, 12:31 PM   #17
Vecais Sakarnis

Few skyline shots from my window last evening. Taken from Purvciems district with apartment and industrial areas in forefront, after them historical centre with some of it's church spires.

Btw, can you believe the church to the left side is actually per some 3-4 km closer than the other two? The other ones are in Old Town, but the first one is located in south-eastern corner of centre.

Old April 15th, 2012, 06:43 PM   #18
Paperbird

Likes (Received): 62

Please do post more - these are great photos of a very interesting city. They make me want to go and do some shooting there myself. I was in Riga at the Skaņu Mežs festival in 2006 but didn't get to see the actual city much, so a proper visit is definitely on my wish list.
Paperbird no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2012, 09:51 PM   #19
Vecais Sakarnis

Thanks, guys!

Ok, here comes next HD quality pictures of Riga.

14. One of the famous Alberta street buildings. Alberta street is one of main usual attractions for tourists in Riga.

In weekend I started to play with my new camera and took some photo tours around south-eastern part of Riga centre.

15. The common architecture of Riga centre (and also historical suburbs), of course, mostly aren't as ornated and posh as Alberta and surrounding streets buildings, their beauty is more subtle and sophisticated.

17. A little boy with his scateboard in the middle of Avotu street in Saturday's evening. South-eastern part of Riga centre is a very interesting place to get the real sense of living in Riga historical centre. You can observe common people lifes because Grīziņkalns is not the most prestige area, it's rather proletarian. And most of other places in Riga centre are mainly for working not living.

And yes, shabby and neglected buildings - that's a common reality in Riga. Many houses and places screams for renovation. But it adds some atmosphere too.

18. This is quite a symbolic building - half renovated, half neglected. Just like Riga itself.

19. Deglava street - one of the main roads connecting Riga centre with it's suburbs. Riga centre is surrounded by a railway ring, that's why these connecting roads goes over sky bridges and make some elevated artificial "hill" perspectives in city, otherwise flat as table.

20. Here you get when drive on that street some 2 km - the core of Purvciems commieblock suburb. In this place, several of "largest in Riga" things are located - one of highest apartment buildings in Riga, one of largest public screens in Riga, and also one of largest Maxima supermarkets.

Galro liked this post
Old April 19th, 2012, 06:44 PM   #20
aljuarez
México

Likes (Received): 2396

Nice!!!!!!! What kind of camera did you get?
aljuarez no está en línea   Reply With Quote