daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 29th, 2010, 09:26 AM   #41
bogdymol
bogdymod

A1 motorway, Romania (opened in 1973):

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnd View Post
My wife has just started a travel blog. Check it out here: makeitcount.blog
bogdymol no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 29th, 2010, 12:43 PM   #42
Nikolaj

Likes (Received): 77

First Danish Motorways

23.1.1956: Motorway E47/E55 between Jægersborg and Hørsholm S (11,3 km)
23.3.1957: Motorway E47/E55 between Hørsholm S and Kokkedal (5,5 km)
27.5.1957: Motorway E20 between Halskov and Vemmelev (9,6 km) and between Knudshoved and Nyborg V (8,1 km) – on both side of the Great Belt going to a new ferry port/route that connected Funen and Zealand until the fixed link across the Great Belt (18 km) was opened in 1998.

Construction of the motorway between Jægersborg and Kokkedal was started in 1938, but during World War II the works were stopped and then re-started in 1951. The southern section of this motorway was widened to 6 lanes in 1997 and widening of the northern section has recently been finally approved for completion in 2016.

During the World War II the German Occupation Authorities requested that a motorway was constructed from Helsingør to Rødby – with a new ferry route Rødby-Puttgarden linking to the motorway Lübeck – Hamburg. The Jægersborg-Kokkedal section was part of this motorway. Constructionworks was started on the 2 other sections in 1941 and 1942 from Rødby to Sakskøbing and on the western motorwayring in Copenhagen. However due to the war, construction came to a halt soon after. The section from Rødby to Sakskøbing was only completed in 1963 along with the new ferry route to Puttgarden and the motorwayring around Copenhagen was completed in 1966-1977.

The section from Rødby to Puttgarden was the one where construction works was most advanced before being stopped during World War II. This section is still standing as a motorway with the original Reichsautobahnstandard, only a central steel barrier has been added. In connection with the construction of the 19 km fixed motorway/rail link between Rødby and Puttgarden, to be completed in 2018, this section will be brought up to current standard. The Motorwayring around Copenhagen (now usually called Motorring 3) was widened and completely refurbished 2006-2010. http://www.vejdirektoratet.dk/dokume...nt&objno=88417
Nikolaj no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2010, 10:16 PM   #43
ea1969
R21

Likes (Received): 188

In Greece the first expressway section with motorway characteristics was the Kakia Skala section between Megara and Kineta on today's A8. It opened in late 1964. It is interesting to note that this 12km section was by far the most difficult within the 215km of the Athens to Patra expressway that was constructed in the 1960s. However, it was the sole section built with motorway characteristics! This section has now been reconstructed with a number of tunnels in order to avoid the sharp bends it originally had.

Some more kilometres with such specifications were added near Aigio in the early 1970s plus a small section between Lamia and Larisa on today's A1 that was constructed in 1967.

The first reference to the term "motorway" (αυτοκινητόδρομος) was made on the Highway Code edition of 1977, but the first motorway signs appeared in 1992 on the A7 section between Korinthos and Patra, followed by some on sections of the A1 that were constructed in the late 1980s; these were signed as motorway in 1994.
Old October 30th, 2010, 11:30 AM   #44
Triple C

Likes (Received): 1724

Istanbul beltway, including the Bosphorus Bridge (opened at 29 October 1973)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpos View Post

Last edited by Triple C; October 30th, 2010 at 11:38 AM.
Triple C no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2010, 05:26 PM   #45
joshsam
JR

Likes (Received): 5408

Belgium:

A10 Brussels-Ostend - 1937

Old October 30th, 2010, 05:41 PM   #46
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19424

Ehm no, construction started in 1937, but only the section between Aalter and Jabbeke was completed in 1940. The second section opened in 1949 between Aalter and Drongen, making Belgium one of the earliest countries to open a motorway after world war II. Most countries didn't continue opening motorways until well in the mid-1950's.

Brussel - Oostende was completed in 1956.
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2010, 06:21 PM   #47
seem
Mornar bez mora

Likes (Received): 79

bogdymol, can you ride a bicycle on a motorway in Romania?

no offence : )

Zauvik si tu, u mojim mislima i grudima..
seem no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2010, 06:51 PM   #48
Alqaszar
No idea, well an opinion

Likes (Received): 19

Right of the bicycle is a horse-drawn vehicle on tha A 1 also, by the way.
Alqaszar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2010, 07:05 PM   #49
metasmurf

Likes (Received): 555

Construction work on Sweden's first motorway between Malmö and Lund opened in 1953 (as previously mentioned in this thread).

This stretch is 17km long and originally had concrete pavement, as was common in Germany back in those days. Interchanges were created for left-hand traffic, which I guess still can be noticed today.

Today:

Last edited by metasmurf; October 30th, 2010 at 07:14 PM.
metasmurf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2010, 11:01 PM   #50
bogdymol
bogdymod

Quote:
Originally Posted by seem View Post
bogdymol, can you ride a bicycle on a motorway in Romania?

no offence : )
Nowdays you can ride a bicycle on a motorway but it is illegal. I believe that in 1982 Romanian laws were different since there is also a horse-drawn vehicle.

PS: Everything is possible on Romanian motorways (especially A1). I've seen people selling flowers and mushrooms on the hard shoulder or hitch-hikers.
Old October 30th, 2010, 11:38 PM   #51
x-type
con los terroristas

Likes (Received): 3448

Croatia

unofficialy: 10,5 km of today's A6 near Rijeka between Orehovica and Kikovica in 1971 (blue in map)
officialy: 38,6 km of today's A1 between Zagreb and Karlovac in 1972 (purple in map)

Old October 31st, 2010, 12:14 AM   #52
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19424

Wasn't A6 single carriageway back in those days?
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2010, 12:57 AM   #53
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4752

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Wasn't A6 single carriageway back in those days?
I think that short section was 4-laned from the beginning (I'm not sure about separation of carriageway(s) though, but they're separated now). But I guess it wasn't considered so special, because it's quite winding and steep, it has controlled access, but it's without any actual interchange (you can't enter it anywhere except at the beginning and the end), it's short and it doesn't have a high speed limit (100 or 110 km/h, I think), I'm not sure whether it's a motorway or expressway.

To end this mess about the first Yugoslav motorway: the first one was the one through Belgrade in 1970 (not all though), but with 80 km/h speed limit. Then it was this Croatian motorway/expressway by Rijeka in 1971, but with less than 120 km/h speed limit (general speed limit on Yugoslav motorways). Vrhnika-Postojna in Slovenia (1972) was the first with 120 km/h speed limit (but Zagreb-Karlovac followed the next day, almost in 1973 ).

Last edited by Verso; October 31st, 2010 at 01:04 AM.
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2010, 01:54 AM   #54
seem
Mornar bez mora

Likes (Received): 79

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogdymol View Post
Nowdays you can ride a bicycle on a motorway but it is illegal. I believe that in 1982 Romanian laws were different since there is also a horse-drawn vehicle.

PS: Everything is possible on Romanian motorways (especially A1). I've seen people selling flowers and mushrooms on the hard shoulder or hitch-hikers.
What does it mean - you can ride a bike but it is illegal?

Zauvik si tu, u mojim mislima i grudima..
seem no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2010, 01:56 AM   #55
x-type
con los terroristas

Likes (Received): 3448

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verso View Post
I think that short section was 4-laned from the beginning (I'm not sure about separation of carriageway(s) though, but they're separated now). But I guess it wasn't considered so special, because it's quite winding and steep, it has controlled access, but it's without any actual interchange (you can't enter it anywhere except at the beginning and the end), it's short and it doesn't have a high speed limit (100 or 110 km/h, I think), I'm not sure whether it's a motorway or expressway.

To end this mess about the first Yugoslav motorway: the first one was the one through Belgrade in 1970 (not all though), but with 80 km/h speed limit. Then it was this Croatian motorway/expressway by Rijeka in 1971, but with less than 120 km/h speed limit (general speed limit on Yugoslav motorways). Vrhnika-Postojna in Slovenia (1972) was the first with 120 km/h speed limit (but Zagreb-Karlovac followed the next day, almost in 1973 ).
there is one exit (Čavle), but i think it's been built later. speed limit is 110 i think (just as most of A6), and even less in curvy and steep part (i think 80). i cannot claim for earlier, but in 1992 it had a motorway sign. today it has it too, but from some reason some or the signs are blue (what would mean expressway, but there is not any expressway signs )
this is an ancient photo of that road from 1970es or early 1980es. looks like motorway.

Old October 31st, 2010, 02:29 AM   #56
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4752

Nice find!
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2010, 02:27 PM   #57
bogdymol
bogdymod

Quote:
Originally Posted by seem View Post
What does it mean - you can ride a bike but it is illegal?
I wanted to say that if your really try you can go with a bike on a motorway, but that's illegal and most likely cops will ask what the hell are you doing. This means that riding the bike on a motorway is against the law.
Old October 31st, 2010, 08:18 PM   #58
hofburg
middle lane hogger

Likes (Received): 464

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verso View Post

so everyone of 3 main republics of Yugoslavia had the first motorway in the country??
well, typical, I would say.
hofburg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2010, 11:10 PM   #59
void0
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2870

Moscow ring road construction started in 1956 and finished in 1961. Total length 106 km.

It has been reconstructed in 1994-1999 and look like that now:

void0 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2010, 11:23 PM   #60
Tincap

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fargo Wolf View Post
It would have been one of the 400 series motorways in the Canadian province of Ontario I believe.
The Queen Elizabeth Way (QEW) could be considered the first, its roots dating back to 1931, with the twinning of a 4 km section between Highway 10 & Highway 27. Although not signed as a 400-series highway, internally it is (apparently) labelled as Highway 451.

Other communities through out Ontario (including my hometown of Brockville), also had sections of the King's Highway (Highway 2) twinned. But there are others here, who are much more familiar with the subject.

The Highway 400 section, between Toronto & Barrie, was first opened as a 4-lane highway in 1952. Construction had begun in 1947, although completion was delayed, when priorities and man-power were shifted during the Korean War.

~BG
Tincap no está en línea   Reply With Quote