daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems



Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.


Reply

 
Thread Tools
Old April 28th, 2017, 12:43 AM   #321
redstarcastles
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 349
Likes (Received): 759

Some from this evening in the Broadstone/ Phibsborough area:


Luas XC looking south in Dominick St 27 April 2017


Luas XC Masts at Broadstone 27 April 2017


Luas XC works at Broadstone 27 April 2017


Luas XC works at Phibsborough 27 April 2017


Luas XC Navan Road looking north 27 April 2017

More here:
https://transportsceneireland.smugmu...SI-April-2017/
__________________

dimlys1994, Nowax liked this post
redstarcastles no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 5th, 2017, 12:32 AM   #322
redstarcastles
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 349
Likes (Received): 759

May pictures start here!


Luas XC Overhead on O'Connell St 4 May 2017


Luas XC works on College St 4 May 2017


Luas XC works on Grafton St 4 May 2017


Luas XC works on Dawson St 4 May 2017


Dawson St 4 May 2017


Luas XC works on St Stephens Green 4 May 2017


5014 St Stephens Green 4 May 2017
__________________
redstarcastles no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2017, 12:30 AM   #323
redstarcastles
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 349
Likes (Received): 759

Most of the copper overhead is in place, stations and pavements are been finished and traffic signals are back in place. A gauging test is due next month. Looks to be on target for a December opening.


Luas XC end of line St Stephens Green siding 20 May 2017


Luas XC 4089 GVV St Stephens Green 20 May 2017


Luas XC Overhead lines St Stephens Green 20 May 2017


5014 St Stephens Green 20 May 2017
__________________

dimlys1994, EasySeven, Ashis Mitra, Nowax liked this post
redstarcastles no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2017, 12:52 AM   #324
redstarcastles
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 349
Likes (Received): 759


Luas XC O'Connell St 25 May 2017 25 degrees and gloriously sunny Dublin this evening.
__________________

dimlys1994, Nowax liked this post
redstarcastles no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2017, 12:35 AM   #325
redstarcastles
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 349
Likes (Received): 759

Work continues, nearly finished though!


Luas XC Dawson St & Nassau St junction 3 June 2017


Luas XC Dawson St stop 3 June 2017


Luas XC overhead on Dawson St 3 June 2017


Luas XC temporary overhead support mast on Dawson St 3 June 2017
Looks temporary anyway!


5018 St Stephens Green 3 June 2017
__________________
redstarcastles no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2017, 01:12 AM   #326
redstarcastles
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 349
Likes (Received): 759

Some more added and some interesting visitors:


4089 GVV O'Connell St 10 June 2017


Luas XC Hawkins St 10 June 2017


Luas XC Hawkins St speed limit onto College St 10 June 2017


Luas XC St Stephens Green 10 June 2017


5017, 5026 & 5006 Sandyford Depot 10 June 2017




Tamper EVN 99 80 9905 001 0 D-ERD Sandyford Depot 10 June 2017


5013, 5023 & 5012 Sandyford Depot 10 June 2017


5013 Sandyford Depot 10 June 2017


Unilok shunter Sandyford Depot 10 June 2017

More here:
https://transportsceneireland.smugmu...RSI-June-2017/
__________________

dimlys1994, Nowax liked this post
redstarcastles no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2017, 12:43 AM   #327
redstarcastles
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 349
Likes (Received): 759

First of the trial test days was on Saturday. Some pictures here:


4001 & Dublin Spire O'Connell St 17 June 2017


4001 & Dublin Spire O'Connell St 17 June 2017


4001 & Parnell Monument 17 June 2017


4001 Parnell stop 17 June 2017


4001 & Pro Cathedral 17 June 2017


4001 & DUTC building 17 June 2017


4001 crosses the Rosie Hackett Bridge 17 June 2017


4001 turns into College St 17 June 2017


4001 Dawson 17 June 2017


4001 & 4003 St Stephens Green 17 June 2017


4003 Westmoreland St 17 June 2017


4001 crosses O'Connell Bridge 17 June 2017


4001 & Minister Ross O'Connell Upper 17 June 2017

More here:
https://transportsceneireland.smugmu...7th-June-2017/
__________________

dimlys1994, arctic_carlos, Noodles7, Nowax liked this post
redstarcastles no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2017, 09:45 PM   #328
Ashis Mitra
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Kolkata
Posts: 2,429
Likes (Received): 1142

Marvelous - trams are running again on Dawson Street, O'Connell street again after 70 years
__________________

lechevallierpatrick liked this post
Ashis Mitra no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2017, 09:50 PM   #329
Ashis Mitra
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Kolkata
Posts: 2,429
Likes (Received): 1142

Quote:
Originally Posted by redstarcastles View Post
First of the trial test days was on Saturday. Some pictures here:


4001 crosses O'Connell Bridge 17 June 2017



NOW AND THEN
__________________

dimlys1994, Nowax liked this post
Ashis Mitra no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2017, 08:05 AM   #330
LtBk
Registered User
 
LtBk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Greater Baltimore
Posts: 3,103
Likes (Received): 3707

How would you guys rank Dublin's public transportation on a 1-10 scale?
LtBk está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2017, 01:09 PM   #331
Balsen
:.:::.:.:::.:.:::.:.:::.:
 
Balsen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Krakow
Posts: 5,041
Likes (Received): 2073

Quote:
Originally Posted by LtBk View Post
How would you guys rank Dublin's public transportation on a 1-10 scale?
4.
Balsen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2017, 05:51 PM   #332
Noodles7
Registered User
 
Noodles7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Taipei 臺北市
Posts: 295
Likes (Received): 215

5 at best
__________________

lechevallierpatrick liked this post
Noodles7 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2017, 07:19 PM   #333
P2O5
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 105
Likes (Received): 125

^ agreed. 5 at the very best.

Problems in developing transport in Dublin are severalfold, but can be broadly split into problems of central and local government.

1. Central governance (e.g. why don't we have a proper metro system).

a. Ireland is a very centralised unitary state, the national parliament makes almost all decisions and controls almost all the means of taxation. As effectively all tax is pooled into central funds and redistributed nationwide there is averseness to any area to being seen to be favoured through investment - and as the national parliament is obviously controlled by a majority of rural/non-Dublin TDs (MPs) Dublin has a hard time securing infrastructure investments.

b. Irish governments have been extremely poor at ring-fencing spending, not only is tax pooled centrally, different streams of revenue are never ring-fenced for specific purposes. This introduces uncertainty into funding streams which favours short-termism over long projects such as metros.

c. Ireland was very poor for most of the 20th century - not only did this mean a lack of investment in rail, it also released a lot of pressure on car traffic and the need for infrastructure as until the 70s (or later) as lot of people still couldn't afford cars. Even when Ireland has been richer, the economy has been extremely volatile (boom and bust) - this mitigates against long-term planning (also point b.).

d. Nationally there has traditionally been a very pro-car attitude in Ireland. This is changing somewhat, especially in Dublin and the other cities. Investment over the last 20 years has favoured interurban motorways as these are considered uncontroversial (as they fill out the purpose of point a. by spreading investment widely), and interurban roads in Ireland were, admittedly, previously in extremely poor condition. Pro-car attitudes in general have meant light-funding of public transport however, and night-bus services are virtually absent due to a lack of government willingness to fund them.



2. Local governance (e.g. why are the buses all stuck in traffic)

a. Spinelessness in local government in standing up to the business and car-parking lobbies in the city. News media is traditionally very auto-centric too; though, again, this is gradually changing.

b. Entrenched car-centric attitudes in the road engineering departments of the Dublin councils that favour increasing the throughput of vehicles rather than the throughput of people (buses). This is changing now - Jarrett Walker is currently redesigning the bus system so hopefully this improves.

c. Split/competing authorities - the historic county of Dublin is split into a central city council (pop 553K) and 3 suburban councils (for a total 4-council population of 1.35 M - not to mention the areas of the Dublin metropolitan area in other counties). This splitting of the Dublin area reduces its financial clout and its ability to raise revenue/invest in itself. Attempts have been made to create a position of an overall mayor in Dublin (with responsibilities for transport), but national government is loathe to cede power to local/regional politicians (especially revenue-raising powers) and has thus far blocked attempts to create a mayorship in Dublin.

d. Local government does not control the local transport systems. Dublin City Council (DCC) does not own Dublin bus, nor the Luas, nor the DART (S-bahn effectively). These systems are owned by semi-state companies that report to the National Transport Authority and the minister for Transport. Because of this, interactions between the roads department of DCC and the transport companies are byzantine and sometimes-competing. DCC sees no benefit to introducing bus-priority at traffic lights, for example, as DCC neither funds nor receives fares from Dublin Bus.

Likewise, the semi-state transport companies (irishrail, Dublin bus, Bus Eireann) have very strong unions, which on occasion dispute improvements in service as they mean rosters-changing etc.; this is currently an issue with the DART where unions are using a long-mooted increase in frequency (from every 15 to every 10 minutes) as a bargaining-chip in pay talks. There are simply too many state organs in control of the transport arteries of the city, each of which have different interests - interests which only seldom align with those of the customer.
__________________
P2O5 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2017, 08:26 PM   #334
LtBk
Registered User
 
LtBk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Greater Baltimore
Posts: 3,103
Likes (Received): 3707

Thanks for the info.
LtBk está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2017, 02:10 PM   #335
FabriFlorence
Registered User
 
FabriFlorence's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Firenze
Posts: 1,772
Likes (Received): 401

Quote:
Originally Posted by LtBk View Post
How would you guys rank Dublin's public transportation on a 1-10 scale?
4 Because of the lack of metro.
FabriFlorence no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2017, 06:57 PM   #336
Noodles7
Registered User
 
Noodles7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Taipei 臺北市
Posts: 295
Likes (Received): 215

Quote:
Originally Posted by P2O5 View Post
^ agreed. 5 at the very best.

Problems in developing transport in Dublin are severalfold, but can be broadly split into problems of central and local government.

1. Central governance (e.g. why don't we have a proper metro system).

a. Ireland is a very centralised unitary state, the national parliament makes almost all decisions and controls almost all the means of taxation. As effectively all tax is pooled into central funds and redistributed nationwide there is averseness to any area to being seen to be favoured through investment - and as the national parliament is obviously controlled by a majority of rural/non-Dublin TDs (MPs) Dublin has a hard time securing infrastructure investments.

b. Irish governments have been extremely poor at ring-fencing spending, not only is tax pooled centrally, different streams of revenue are never ring-fenced for specific purposes. This introduces uncertainty into funding streams which favours short-termism over long projects such as metros.

c. Ireland was very poor for most of the 20th century - not only did this mean a lack of investment in rail, it also released a lot of pressure on car traffic and the need for infrastructure as until the 70s (or later) as lot of people still couldn't afford cars. Even when Ireland has been richer, the economy has been extremely volatile (boom and bust) - this mitigates against long-term planning (also point b.).

d. Nationally there has traditionally been a very pro-car attitude in Ireland. This is changing somewhat, especially in Dublin and the other cities. Investment over the last 20 years has favoured interurban motorways as these are considered uncontroversial (as they fill out the purpose of point a. by spreading investment widely), and interurban roads in Ireland were, admittedly, previously in extremely poor condition. Pro-car attitudes in general have meant light-funding of public transport however, and night-bus services are virtually absent due to a lack of government willingness to fund them.



2. Local governance (e.g. why are the buses all stuck in traffic)

a. Spinelessness in local government in standing up to the business and car-parking lobbies in the city. News media is traditionally very auto-centric too; though, again, this is gradually changing.

b. Entrenched car-centric attitudes in the road engineering departments of the Dublin councils that favour increasing the throughput of vehicles rather than the throughput of people (buses). This is changing now - Jarrett Walker is currently redesigning the bus system so hopefully this improves.

c. Split/competing authorities - the historic county of Dublin is split into a central city council (pop 553K) and 3 suburban councils (for a total 4-council population of 1.35 M - not to mention the areas of the Dublin metropolitan area in other counties). This splitting of the Dublin area reduces its financial clout and its ability to raise revenue/invest in itself. Attempts have been made to create a position of an overall mayor in Dublin (with responsibilities for transport), but national government is loathe to cede power to local/regional politicians (especially revenue-raising powers) and has thus far blocked attempts to create a mayorship in Dublin.

d. Local government does not control the local transport systems. Dublin City Council (DCC) does not own Dublin bus, nor the Luas, nor the DART (S-bahn effectively). These systems are owned by semi-state companies that report to the National Transport Authority and the minister for Transport. Because of this, interactions between the roads department of DCC and the transport companies are byzantine and sometimes-competing. DCC sees no benefit to introducing bus-priority at traffic lights, for example, as DCC neither funds nor receives fares from Dublin Bus.

Likewise, the semi-state transport companies (irishrail, Dublin bus, Bus Eireann) have very strong unions, which on occasion dispute improvements in service as they mean rosters-changing etc.; this is currently an issue with the DART where unions are using a long-mooted increase in frequency (from every 15 to every 10 minutes) as a bargaining-chip in pay talks. There are simply too many state organs in control of the transport arteries of the city, each of which have different interests - interests which only seldom align with those of the customer.
Unfortunately it's so true. Getting any decent PT built in Dublin is so difficult. Anytime they try to change anything with Dublin Bus the NBRU are up in arms and lots of concessions have to be made, which leaves the changes being very half arsed at best. The government also seem very keen to trot out the money saving BS whenever they get a chance. They were supposed to build metro north to the airport before the last recession but they didn't and now they're either proposing to build it at a reduced capacity to what was initially planned or to built a BRT instead. Is that the best Dublin can hope for? A BRT? Dublin airport is about to hit 30 million passengers a year and the population of the Fingal area in north central Dublin grew by the highest % in the whole country at the recent census, yet we're being told that a light rail metro or a BRT will be the best option for the future of PT because they're cheaper than just building a heavy rail metro from the get go. I don't know why the government is incapable of learning from its mistakes when it comes to previous investments in public transport. The M50 and it's liffey crossing bridge both had to be rebuilt because neither was future proofed from the beginning.

All of that being said I still think that DART underground would bring more overall benefit to Dublin than metro north, but in an ideal world we'd get both.
Noodles7 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2017, 01:41 AM   #337
redstarcastles
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 349
Likes (Received): 759

Sorry for the lack of updates. Plenty happening but its all finishing work at the moment. Services due to start in December, next test runs of trams will be soon. Some pictures of recent work:


Luas XC College St works 27 July 2017


Luas XC Steine has returned to College St 27 July 2017


Luas XC footpath works on College St 27 July 2017


Luas XC new lighting on Marlborough St 27 July 2017

more here:
https://transportsceneireland.smugmu...RSI-July-2017/
__________________

carlos-PE, dimlys1994, Nowax, Swede liked this post
redstarcastles no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2017, 11:41 PM   #338
redstarcastles
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 349
Likes (Received): 759


4008 Abbey St 13 August 2017


4009 & 4014 Busáras 13 August 2017


3006 Store St 13 August 2017


171D45538 Connolly 13 August 2017


Crowds at Connolly 13 August 2017

https://transportsceneireland.smugmu...I-August-2017/
__________________
redstarcastles no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2017, 01:30 AM   #339
redstarcastles
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 349
Likes (Received): 759

Pictures northwards from the City Centre. Updates I am afraid are slowing down as most works are now complete!


Luas XC Dominick St stop 24 August 2017


Luas XC Dominick St and Church 24 August 2017


Luas XC Broadstone stop 24 August 2017


Luas XC towards Broadstone 24 August 2017


Luas XC Phibsboro Stop 24 August 2017


Luas XC Navan Road looking north 24 August 2017

More here:
https://transportsceneireland.smugmu...I-August-2017/
__________________

dimlys1994, Slartibartfas, Attus, Nowax liked this post
redstarcastles no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2017, 12:30 AM   #340
redstarcastles
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 349
Likes (Received): 759

Tram testing is underway:


4008 O'Connell St 14 September 2017


4008 paases the GPO on O'Connell St 14 September 2017


4008 Upper O'Connell St 14 September 2017

https://transportsceneireland.smugmu...eptember-2017/
__________________

Nowax, dimlys1994 liked this post
redstarcastles no está en línea   Reply With Quote


Reply

Tags
dublin, tram

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Related topics on SkyscraperCity


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 05:58 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

SkyscraperCity ☆ In Urbanity We trust ☆ about us | privacy policy | DMCA policy

tech management by Sysprosium