daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Architecture > European Classic Architecture and Landscapes

European Classic Architecture and Landscapes All related to historical buildings and landscapes of the old world.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 9th, 2006, 09:37 PM   #21
ErathKing

Likes (Received): 0

wonderfuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuullllll
ErathKing no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 22nd, 2006, 04:38 PM   #22
Skaros

Likes (Received): 4

www.ekathimerini.com

21/03/2006

Acropolis Museum to display hidden ‘masterpieces’ in 2007

Thousands of ancient artifacts to go on public view for first time

ORESTIS PANAGIOTOU/EPA

The new Acropolis museum rises up in the foreground as the Parthenon, in the background, towers above the construction. After visiting the site, Culture Minister Giorgos Voulgarakis reiterated yesterday that the much-awaited museum would be ready to receive visitors by the end of next year.
He said the whole project would cost 129 million euros, much of which was spent on appropriating the land. The building will contain a 14,000-square-meter exhibition area, where artifacts that have never been seen by the public before will go on display. Some of the heavy sculptures will be moved on to the premises this summer.

By Nicholas Paphitis - The Associated Press

Thousands of ancient artifacts from the Acropolis never seen by the public will be showcased at a landmark new Athens museum expected to open late next year, Greek officials said yesterday.

The 14,000-square-meter (150,000-square-foot) exhibition area will contain more than 4,000 works — 10 times the amount currently on display at a cramped museum on the Acropolis. Most have been kept in storage for decades.

We are talking about masterpieces that have never been seen,” including bronze and pottery artifacts found on the slopes of the fortified hill, said senior project official Nikos Damalitis.

All the 2,500-year-old Parthenon sculptures in Greek possession will be displayed on a full-sized model of the temple inside the museum, which is being built at the foot of the Acropolis hill.

Quote:
But one part of the model will remain empty where the so-called Elgin Marbles — sculptures removed from the Parthenon 200 years ago — would have stood.

The marbles are housed in London’s British Museum, and Greece has lobbied unsuccessfully for years for their return.
“I believe we can intensify our efforts (for the marbles to be returned) and find a different approach, perhaps a friendlier one,” Culture Minister Giorgos Voulgarakis said after a visit to the museum construction site.

“We do not want all the antiquities that have been taken from Greece, we are just interested in the specific artifacts.”

The long-delayed 129-million-euro (US$157 million) museum will be completed in March 2007, Voulgarakis said — three months behind earlier forecasts.

Voulgarakis did not account for the later completion date, saying only he was “extremely pleased” with the pace of construction.

“It is our ambition to have the building finished in a year from now,” he said.

Project director Dimitris Pantermalis said the museum will open to visitors by the end of 2007.

Initially scheduled for completion before the 2004 Athens Olympics, construction of the 20,000-square-meter glass and concrete museum has been delayed by long-running legal fights and new archaeological discoveries at the site.

The two-story building will be capped by a glass hall containing the Parthenon works while allowing visitors a direct view of the ancient temple, some 300 meters away.

Pantermalis said some of the sculptures will be installed in the summer, as construction proceeds.

“We will start moving the heavy sculptures in July,” he said.

“It will be possible to remove them at a later stage, if necessary, and they will be protected against earthquakes.”

Greece is highly earthquake-prone, and a 5.9-magnitude quake near Athens in 1999 killed 143 people while damaging thousands of buildings in the capital. Designed by US-based architect Bernard Tschumi in collaboration with Greece’s Michael Photiades, the building is based on 94 shock absorbers at ground level. “These will function like ball bearings to isolate the structure,” Damalitis said.

The museum will also incorporate, under a glass cover, building remains from a third- to seventh-century Athenian neighborhood discovered in the 1990s during preliminary work on the site.

Last edited by Skaros; March 22nd, 2006 at 04:44 PM.
Skaros no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2006, 05:32 PM   #23
gm2263
The Jedi Will Rise Again

Likes (Received): 2231

Skaro, a million thanks for the update. True, the new museum is expected to accomodate its first exhibits by mid 2007. Probably the most important new Museum in Europe for this decade, in terms of significance of exhibits.
Old April 15th, 2006, 10:21 AM   #24
gm2263
The Jedi Will Rise Again

Quote:
Originally Posted by [Gioяgos]
AMAZING ATHENS!

Found these and HAD to post them!
Then

Now

Then

Now

Then

Now

then

now

AMAZING!

and

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christos7
Actually Giorgo, there is a big restoration project going on.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...041202463.html

For example:

A replica of an ancient column capital is seen on top of two ancient drums and a modern replica at the Acropolis in Athens, Wednesday, April 12, 2006. The 2.2-ton marble piece is an exact copy of a 5th century BC Ionic capital and took over two years to carve by hand, using ancient techniques. It will form part of the Propylaea monumental gate, which is undergoing extensive restoration and scheduled for completion by 2007. (AP Photo/Petros Giannakouris)

All by hand, just as it was constructed thousands of years ago.

Some more examples, you can see the white marble (new) and the old (faded):

Old June 11th, 2006, 08:21 PM   #25
Kuvvaci
Strange User

Likes (Received): 64

I haven't seen this thread before... Well done GM...
Kuvvaci no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2006, 08:44 PM   #26
Joka

Likes (Received): 1872

Quote:
While announcing the extra funding, a Culture Ministry release urged state archaeologists and conservators handling the works — which started in 1975 and are not expected to finish before 2020 — to step up their pace and improve the project’s organization.
Are they going to rebuild the Parthenon?
Old June 14th, 2006, 08:53 PM   #27
crossbowman
^Xpande®^

Likes (Received): 2

Well Done gm2263
The Parthenon and the Acropolis in general is a true masterpiece!
I voted for it for the New 7 Wonders of the World at
http://www.new7wonders.com/index.php

[- Reunification of the PARTHENON Marbles -]

Life is FULL of rude awakenings...
crossbowman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2006, 08:29 PM   #28
gm2263
The Jedi Will Rise Again

Acropolis in the Snow: Picture by Nick Koutsonikas in the website of Nikitas Kaklamanis, our new mayor.

Picture taken in winter 2004.
Old June 19th, 2009, 10:49 PM   #29
gm2263
The Jedi Will Rise Again

Time to revive this thread with the occasion of the official opening of the of the Athens Acropolis Museum on Saturday 20 June 2009.

A new chapter for an ages old monument opens...

Last edited by gm2263; June 20th, 2009 at 12:52 PM.
gm2263 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2009, 11:55 AM   #30
Chris_533976

Likes (Received): 27

Its good that it exists, but its an awful looking building. Why not try to build something that even remotely fits in with its surroundings? It just a glass box by the looks of it.
Chris_533976 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2009, 07:56 PM   #31
WhiteMagick
Moderator - Επιτηρητής

I disagree. I think it is a very good piece of modern architecture. However I agree that it might not fit its surroundings. However there is only a tiny strip of greek neoclassical/athenian buildings on either of its sides (behind it being the parthenon) and in front it's the cement jungle of architecturally insignificant blocks of apartments built in the 70's I think. The museum's design does much to improve that eyesore.

如果希腊国民继续信阴谋论,外资救世主的,不为自己的行为负责, 他们会灭亡。

人は何かの犠牲なしに何も得ることはできない。何かを得るためには同等の代価が必要になる。それが、生活における等価交換の原則だ。その頃僕らは、それが世界の真実だと信じていた。時間は、最も貴重な資源である。だから、誰の時間もあなたは無駄にしてはいけないし、誰もが他の人の時間を無駄にしないでください。
WhiteMagick no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2009, 02:35 PM   #32
alacanti

Likes (Received): 15

Thanks for the picture. I will be visiting Athens next august and I will visit it.
alacanti no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2009, 07:02 PM   #33
socrates#1fan

Likes (Received): 1327

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteMagick View Post
I disagree. I think it is a very good piece of modern architecture. However I agree that it might not fit its surroundings. However there is only a tiny strip of greek neoclassical/athenian buildings on either of its sides (behind it being the parthenon) and in front it's the cement jungle of architecturally insignificant blocks of apartments built in the 70's I think. The museum's design does much to improve that eyesore.
The public cares for it now because it is new, but 30 years down the road will it still be a 'very good piece of modern architecture'?
For something so important they should have designed it to be timeless, not faddish and hip.
Besides, why do you need classic buildings around this structure for it to be classical?

"I don’t know what it is about Hoosiers, but wherever you go there is always a Hoosier doing something very important there."-Kurt Vonnegut
socrates#1fan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2013, 12:52 AM   #34
corncrake

Likes (Received): 0

Cutaway Images of the Parthenon

I want to use the two cutaway images you have posted in an essay I am writing for a college exam. Can you tell me what publication they are from? It looks like they were copied from a magazine.

Thanks.
corncrake no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2013, 12:07 AM   #35
Tyco75
Orgulloso de ser TICO

Likes (Received): 507

I really want to see all that beauty in person.
Tyco75 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2013, 11:08 PM   #36
CF221

Likes (Received): 811

I agree that the museum doesn't do the Parthenon justice.