daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old November 6th, 2013, 06:53 PM   #2181
Marioma

Likes (Received): 688

7 buildings over 500m, maybe not changsha, but in an other city they will build the building that beat the kingdom tower

Sponsored Links
Old November 7th, 2013, 01:32 AM   #2182
thazz

Likes (Received): 22

Would you please build sky city I first before bullshitting around with 1km towers.
That would be great.

ChuckScraperMiami#1, L.A.F.2. liked this post
thazz no está en línea  
Old November 7th, 2013, 06:31 AM   #2183
ZZ-II
I love Skyscrapers

Likes (Received): 6560

Quote:
Originally Posted by thazz View Post
Would you please build sky city I first before bullshitting around with 1km towers. That would be great.
Calm down
ZZ-II no está en línea  
Old November 8th, 2013, 01:52 AM   #2184
CrazyAboutCities

Likes (Received): 240

Second Sky City Tower? Ok, where the third one will be built at?

ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
CrazyAboutCities no está en línea  
Old November 8th, 2013, 02:06 AM   #2185
2co2co

Likes (Received): 225

Even if they haven't got the government approval to build, they can still dig :-P

2co2co no está en línea  
Old November 8th, 2013, 05:35 PM   #2186
Marioma

Quote:
Originally Posted by thazz View Post
Would you please build sky city I first before bullshitting around with 1km towers.
That would be great.

bullshitting? yes i bullshit with a 1km tower that get build. china builds bigger, the world builds bigger. but, there are some other serious projects, when u understand what i mean

do u think they pilling in jeddah and then it gets on hold?
yes this project is maybe dead, i dont think changsha gets buildings like this, but maybe shanghai or shenzhen....

Marioma no está en línea  
Old November 8th, 2013, 06:04 PM   #2187
Bligh

Likes (Received): 813

The point here guys is the politics.

This project will effectively make redundant a multi billion worth industry over night. Millions of Construction firms around the globe will have old methods of construction. This isn't the only problem. Suddenly the old way of construction will become less cost effective in almost every way.

This is a project that thousands of construction companies around the world and in China will try to stop until they have the same technology.

The only reason this will go ahead is if more companies start to use this method, OR if the Chinese government get a BIG cut of the profit or arrange some other sort of business strategy.

The bad idea with this is that once an American, European or other Asian company figures out the techniques and technologies of such a project, they will be building their very own version of Sky City in major world Cities such as NYC, London, Dubai, L.A., Frankfurt etc etc etc etc - the list goes on. If the Chinese do not allow this type of structure to be built under this technique, another nation will do it.

It's all politics and money I'm afraid.
~

L O N D O N
~

instagram//photography: @leaf.it.out.luke

Kanto, ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post

Last edited by Bligh; November 8th, 2013 at 06:04 PM. Reason: Spelling
Bligh no está en línea  
Old November 8th, 2013, 06:08 PM   #2188
Bligh

Likes (Received): 813

Don't forget that the current technique of building Chinese skyscrapers and major projects is actually helping the Chinese GDP.

The Chinese are building tower blocks at a stupidly quick rate yet A LOT of these towers are empty. Why do this? Because it boosts the national GDP.

A project like Sky City would effect this - badly.
~

L O N D O N
~

instagram//photography: @leaf.it.out.luke

Bligh no está en línea  
Old November 8th, 2013, 06:09 PM   #2189
Kanto
Roof height crusader

Likes (Received): 3547

Sadly I fear you are right

I really hope that the deals between Broad and the government will be made in such a way that the tower will be constructed. After all, there is no better proof to proove that this method works than to build one of these

Kanto no está en línea  
Old November 8th, 2013, 06:17 PM   #2190
Munwon

Likes (Received): 3253

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bligh View Post

This project will effectively make redundant a multi billion worth industry over night. Millions of Construction firms around the globe will have old methods of construction. This isn't the only problem. Suddenly the old way of construction will become less cost effective in almost every way.

This is a project that thousands of construction companies around the world and in China will try to stop until they have the same technology.

The only reason this will go ahead is if more companies start to use this method, OR if the Chinese government get a BIG cut of the profit or arrange some other sort of business strategy.

The bad idea with this is that once an American, European or other Asian company figures out the techniques and technologies of such a project, they will be building their very own version of Sky City in major world Cities such as NYC, London, Dubai, L.A., Frankfurt etc etc etc etc - the list goes on. If the Chinese do not allow this type of structure to be built under this technique, another nation will do it.

Pre-fab construction has been around for decades and traditional contractors seem to be just fine.

ChuckScraperMiami#1, Kyll.Ing. liked this post
Munwon no está en línea  
Old November 8th, 2013, 06:26 PM   #2191
4npower
Rooftop Shooter

Likes (Received): 989

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munwon View Post
Pre-fab construction has been around for decades and traditional contractors seem to be just fine.

Exactly. Any prison that has been built in the last 15-20 years has been done pre-fab. Whats new, is building skyscrapers of this height using pre-fab techniques.

4npower no está en línea  
Old November 8th, 2013, 06:27 PM   #2192
patrykus

Likes (Received): 1794

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munwon View Post
Exactly. You can't build everything with this technology. Certainly not fancy residential towers whose shapes and facades are often much more complicated than those used in broad buildings. As mentioned before what broad is proposing is basically an hi tech tall commie blocks which in itself are quite impressive. But I don't think they would make huge impact outside the china where often more of a custom product is required.

But I agree with Bligh. This is a big game changer for China where lots of cheap repetitive construction happens. I'm sure there are strong forces against this project and as a consequence we have all these approval problems. But hopefully if the broad have guts for it all will eventually be resolved.
PolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/CComingSoon/CPolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/C

patrykus no está en línea  
Old November 8th, 2013, 07:02 PM   #2193
Marioma

Last edited by Marioma; November 9th, 2013 at 03:00 PM.
Marioma no está en línea  
Old November 8th, 2013, 08:19 PM   #2194
KillerZavatar
also known as Wally

Likes (Received): 8365

here we go again
Old November 8th, 2013, 10:20 PM   #2195
Jarson

Likes (Received): 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bligh View Post

I'm not sure if China authorities care about opinion and interests of abroad companies. From the other size - if it would be possible to built so tall buildings so fast and so cheap, why anyone wont do it yet? That's what bother me a little.

This technology is like nuclear power plants. If first try to build such scyscraper will end with succes, reaction of whole world will be anthusiastic. If something will go wrong - public opinion could delay development of this method by decades. That's why this building is so important.

Kanto, ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
Jarson no está en línea  
Old November 8th, 2013, 10:54 PM   #2196
hqho1671

Likes (Received): 2860

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marioma View Post
Its right.
BUT all of you have to know:
in every Boomtown Dubai, Shanghai, Shenzhen, Jeddah, Riad, Doha etc ........ most of the skyscraper are empty!! In China its extrem. Or in Dubai.
They build for billions of dollars empty buildings.., in dubai marina 60% of the apartment hosting people... In China are " ghost cities". In other countrys the petrodollars do it..
Jeddah have very old skyline not like other cities and most of the towers are full pics from old jeddah skyline

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

This area called al balad ( old jeddah)

Most of the buildings are like this which more than 500 years old

image hosted on flickr

Most of the new towers on other area & they are not empty most of it u/c still & some of it not raised yet

hqho1671 no está en línea  
Old November 8th, 2013, 10:54 PM   #2197
Kanto
Roof height crusader

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrykus View Post
Exactly. You can't build everything with this technology. Certainly not fancy residential towers whose shapes and facades are often much more complicated than those used in broad buildings. As mentioned before what broad is proposing is basically an hi tech tall commie blocks which in itself are quite impressive. But I don't think they would make huge impact outside the china where often more of a custom product is required.

But I agree with Bligh. This is a big game changer for China where lots of cheap repetitive construction happens. I'm sure there are strong forces against this project and as a consequence we have all these approval problems. But hopefully if the broad have guts for it all will eventually be resolved.
But honestly, who would ever build a fancy residential tower for 1,5 billion if he could build a boxy residential tower for 500 million. No sane developer would go for a fancy design at such a tremendous cost

Kanto no está en línea  
Old November 8th, 2013, 11:08 PM   #2198
4npower
Rooftop Shooter

Likes (Received): 989

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marioma View Post
Its right.
BUT all of you have to know:
in every Boomtown Dubai, Shanghai, Shenzhen, Jeddah, Riad, Doha etc ........ most of the skyscraper are empty!! In China its extrem. Or in Dubai.
They build for billions of dollars empty buildings.., in dubai marina 60% of the apartment hosting people... In China are " ghost cities". In other countrys the petrodollars do it..

Just because a Skyscraper or high rise is empty, as in nobody is living there, doesn't mean that it doesn't have an owner. I just seen a show a few months ago about these tourist destinations around the world like Dubai and Doha and they basically said that there are properties that have been purchased and owned for years and have never even been seen by the owners, or as they put it, "investment properties". they even interviewed one of these investors, and he said he has owned properties around the world his whole life, and hasn't even stepped foot in most of them in decades.

4npower no está en línea  
Old November 8th, 2013, 11:38 PM   #2199
patrykus

Likes (Received): 1794

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanto View Post
But honestly, who would ever build a fancy residential tower for 1,5 billion if he could build a boxy residential tower for 500 million. No sane developer would go for a fancy design at such a tremendous cost
Buyers of luxury apartments demands... luxury That means amongst other things individuality. So what that you build 10 almost identical towers for 500 million each if you can't sell top apartment for more than 10mil. The luxury also means comfort. I bet while broad buildings will be cheap and fast to build they will also be more shaky than full concrete structures like 432 park ave. Then you have also limitations of the technology. I always believed that broad buildings are possible without the concrete core partially because of the pyramidal shape. And that seems to be true. Even 400m version is pyramidal. Seems you can only go to not much more than 200m if don't won't any setbacks and huge footprint (witch you can't customize to fit to the dense surroundings) which is also a big concern in cities like NY. And that leads us to the last thing. Construction cost is not everything. In New York whatever you pay for the tower itself you still have to pay hundreds of millions for the site making construction cost a little less impacting overall cost of the project.

But at the end of the day I think it's mostly about the prestige. I doubt a huge corporation would chose one of mass produced similar commie blocks instead of a work of world class architect. Such choice sends certain message about the company.
PolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/CComingSoon/CPolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/C

Last edited by patrykus; November 8th, 2013 at 11:45 PM.
patrykus no está en línea  
Old November 9th, 2013, 12:21 AM   #2200
Kanto
Roof height crusader

Not exactly. Luxury is a matter of the interior and the functionality of the interior. Building shape, if it doesn't have practical functionalistic impact on the space within it doesn't mean anything when searching for luxury. If a unique shape can be done for relatively little money, OK, but if it would require another billion or so, no developer would ever choose it, not with it having minimal effects on asking prices and apartment selling success.

Also, we don't know exactly what the limitations of this technology are. They're keeping it mysterious and they certainly will continue with this secrecy, otherwise other companies might reverse engineer it.

And yes, land has great value in cities like NYC, but still a fraction of the normal construction cost can decrease the overall budget by the hundreds of millions, with taller buildings it might very well exceed 1 billion of saved money

Kanto no está en línea  

Closed Thread

Tags
changsha, china, sky city