daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old November 9th, 2013, 12:38 AM   #2201
patrykus

Likes (Received): 1794

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanto View Post
Not exactly. Luxury is a matter of the interior and the functionality of the interior. Building shape, if it doesn't have practical functionalistic impact on the space within it doesn't mean anything when searching for luxury.
Well I know you would be fully satisfied with Manhattan filled with identical boxy monoliths but generally people look for diversity.

Quote:
Also, we don't know exactly what the limitations of this technology are. They're keeping it mysterious and they certainly will continue with this secrecy, otherwise other companies might reverse engineer it.
The limitations I discussed are obvious. Those buildings have huge + shaped footprints. And they can't be customized at certain heights because otherwise we would see other designs than just plus section pyramids. Also those buildings ARE steel so prefabricated or not they will be more shaky than concrete towers.

Quote:
And yes, land has great value in cities like NYC, but still a fraction of the normal construction cost can decrease the overall budget by the hundreds of millions, with taller buildings it might very well exceed 1 billion of saved money
With the assumption that you'd sell those units for the same prices. All I know is someone buying 100 million apartment wouldn't like something that pretty much came from the assembling line and there are 10 identical towers in the city.
PolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/CComingSoon/CPolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/C

ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
patrykus no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old November 9th, 2013, 10:54 AM   #2202
keber

Likes (Received): 1347

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bligh View Post
This is a project that thousands of construction companies around the world and in China will try to stop until they have the same technology.
Technology? What technology? You mean THIS technology being around for about 50 years?
image hosted on flickr

Yes those are prefabricated apartments, put together into a building.
Old November 9th, 2013, 11:03 AM   #2203
patrykus

I agree. Although if we only thing about china and other developing countries Bligh's statement may be true since they build tons of those commie blocks and broads technology is very competitive in this field. But I wouldn't see much use for it in the developed "west". They stopped building those prefabricated blocks decades ago where I live even though they are probably cheaper than regular concrete towers.
PolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/CComingSoon/CPolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/C

Old November 9th, 2013, 03:01 PM   #2204
Marioma

Likes (Received): 688

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2010-1...cbre-says.html

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ely-empty.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=InqAzvX6UrI

Last edited by Marioma; November 9th, 2013 at 03:07 PM.
Marioma no está en línea  
Old November 9th, 2013, 04:28 PM   #2205
thazz

Likes (Received): 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZ-II View Post
Calm down
Actually I'm not that mad. I just find it silly that they would announce a second one before even proving its possible.

thazz no está en línea  
Old November 9th, 2013, 05:43 PM   #2206
Kanto
Roof height crusader

Likes (Received): 3546

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrykus View Post
Well I know you would be fully satisfied with Manhattan filled with identical boxy monoliths but generally people look for diversity.

The limitations I discussed are obvious. Those buildings have huge + shaped footprints. And they can't be customized at certain heights because otherwise we would see other designs than just plus section pyramids. Also those buildings ARE steel so prefabricated or not they will be more shaky than concrete towers.

With the assumption that you'd sell those units for the same prices. All I know is someone buying 100 million apartment wouldn't like something that pretty much came from the assembling line and there are 10 identical towers in the city.
I don't think I or you know the limitations of this technology. Maybe it is limited to the shapes we see and maybe the shapes we see are merely the most efficient and they aim for maximum efficiency. We don't know enough to separate necessity from choice. Many today's buildings have simple shapes yet it doesnpt mean that fancy shapes aren't possible

Btw, some rich people might want to have something that nobody has but I bet that most rich people want only to have the highest luxury and best views. And these things can be in a skyscraper with a conventional design just as well as they can be in a skyscraper with unconventional design
Old November 9th, 2013, 06:05 PM   #2207
patrykus

Do you seriously believe that say tower like 432 park ave could be build with broad technology? I am not demanding 100% prove here just talking common sense. If you build supertall structures without concrete core it seems logical that plus shaped pyramidal design is needed to provide at least minimum level of stability. OK, I don't have prove for it but it does look very likely if you think about it. That's why I think it's one of the reasons why it very likely wouldn't have been practical in dense cities.

As for the luxury I already explained it extensively so if you still can't dig it then I'll leave it as it is.

Old November 9th, 2013, 06:11 PM   #2208
lowenmeister

Likes (Received): 3420

The plus shaped design is mostly for letting sunlight in the residential sections whilst still providing maximum stability for the structure.
The footprint is large but not overly so and could probably be both scaled up and down if required. The big problem will be providing water and other neccessities to a cluster of these building. 10 of these would have a population between 170 000 to 330 000 people.

lowenmeister no está en línea  
Old November 9th, 2013, 06:17 PM   #2209
Kanto
Roof height crusader

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrykus View Post
Do you seriously believe that say tower like 432 park ave could be build with broad technology? I am not demanding 100% prove here just talking common sense. If you build supertall structures without concrete core it seems logical that plus shaped pyramidal design is needed to provide at least minimum level of stability. OK, I don't have prove for it but it does look very likely if you think about it. That's why I think it's one of the reasons why it very likely wouldn't have been practical in dense cities.

As for the luxury I already explained it extensively so if you still can't dig it then I'll leave it as it is.
No, I don't believe that it could be built with broad technology, but I also don't believe that it couldn't be built with broad technology. I don't have the data to come to a conclusion therefore the only thing I believe is that I don't know what the answer is. I haven't seen Broad reveal their technology (iirc neither did you) so I know that what I think is likely and unlikely is not backed up by the data it should be in order to reach a conclusion

Kanto no está en línea  
Old November 9th, 2013, 06:36 PM   #2210
patrykus

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowenmeister View Post
The footprint is large but not overly so and could probably be both scaled up and down if required.
And still even 400m "dense city version" of the tower is plus shaped when obviously better option would be box filling the entire plot.

Quote:
No, I don't believe that it could be built with broad technology, but I also don't believe that it couldn't be built with broad technology. I don't have the data to come to a conclusion therefore the only thing I believe is that I don't know what the answer is. I haven't seen Broad reveal their technology (iirc neither did you) so I know that what I think is likely and unlikely is not backed up by the data it should be in order to reach a conclusion

Old November 9th, 2013, 06:37 PM   #2211
KillerZavatar
also known as Wally

Likes (Received): 8243

when the first supertalls in broad technology are up they will have learnd a lot more in the process and other shapes may be possible after that. but first they need to deliver that first step
Old November 9th, 2013, 06:46 PM   #2212
patrykus

We'll see. But imo broad isn't developing anything special. They can't forget about basic physics. Their technology isn't that complicated so the key must be the shape and pyramidal distribution of weight. And so far all proposals above certain height are shaped like that so I don't think they can easily bypass it.

Old November 9th, 2013, 06:50 PM   #2213
Kanto
Roof height crusader

The Wright brothers didn't bypass physics yet they achieved what most of the top scientists of the era deemed impossible by the laws of physics. I think we should be more careful about drawing our conclusions about this method before it was properly explained

ChuckScraperMiami#1, hightower1 liked this post
Kanto no está en línea  
Old November 9th, 2013, 07:02 PM   #2214
patrykus

The biggest innovation of broad technology is the fact that they are manufacturing huge amounts of identical parts packed and shipped in the way that they can be installed at once without interruption. Everything else is subordinated to this - shape included. If all parts are identical, pyramidal shape makes perfect sense since you don't need stronger beams at the bottom this way. If parts would be individually designed and build for different levels the whole point of manufacturing would be lost.

Old November 9th, 2013, 07:05 PM   #2215
Kanto
Roof height crusader

Would it? How do you know that it would? How do you know that they didn't solve this issue with something else? We know way too few about this method to come to such conclusions, in my opinion

Kanto no está en línea  
Old November 9th, 2013, 07:13 PM   #2216
patrykus

It's like with your phone. It's so cheap because they make millions of them and all identically the same.

Old November 11th, 2013, 11:13 AM   #2217
AltinD
The Modecator

Likes (Received): 6071

Guys, a pyramid shape becomes a necessity because of the wind loads, not overall weight
I can cheat you blind.

AltinD no está en línea  
Old November 11th, 2013, 11:28 AM   #2218
patrykus

History proves you wrong again. Those towers are not pyramidal at all. And the second one is seriously close to the burj.

Old November 11th, 2013, 11:31 AM   #2219
KillerZavatar
also known as Wally

Likes (Received): 8243

when you think about it, a lot of great buildings are just boxes. when the cladding is different, the top varies from a flat roof to a crown to a spire the buildings do not all look the same and given a lot of projects being built the technology will further involve and may room for more interesting angle shapes, although boxes alone can already be pretty. this building is already really good looking and i would not even mind replicas that look very similar in different cities, which would be the 'worst case' scenario for this technology to really hit. so if it works out for the company and Sky City gets built in a safe, yet fast manner, i can't see anything bad coming out of it.

century plaza has a tip at the point and is pretty much pyramidical shaped, or shaped like a needle or cone, but that is besides the point, it is about getting thinner towards the top of a building. even tianjin GF is getting smaller towards the top. with technology we will be able to build taller buildings and also taller buildings that do not taper that much, the park ave in new york is a prime example, but the tallest buildings will always be tapering towers or boxes with spires or pyramidically shaped crowns to increase that limit.

Last edited by KillerZavatar; November 11th, 2013 at 11:36 AM.
KillerZavatar no está en línea  
Old November 11th, 2013, 11:46 AM   #2220
patrykus

Well I'm sure you can tell the difference between these two. Footprint width to height ratio is completely different

And there are countless examples of wide 400m towers that tapers a little or not at all. And still Broad building of that height is plus shaped pyramid.

Closed Thread

Tags
changsha, china, sky city