daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old January 25th, 2014, 01:54 AM   #2381
Msradell
Always looking up

Likes (Received): 209

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeKindOfBug View Post
Sky City wouldn't be built in America. Not that it couldn't, but it wouldn't. People have more imagination. More appreciation for the environment.
You missed one of the major point of this building which is to utilize fewer resources to house more people, something that China desperately needs to do. They can serve both building materials and land by building this building away from major cities. They also let the rural population continue to live in the rural communities and do the work in those areas which is needed, such as farming, while providing them the luxury of a big city. Today there is a mass migration towards the city is to get this kind of luxury and comfort.

You are correct this would never get built in America, there are no Americans who would take the risk of building something this unique and the building trades in America would campaigned vigorously against it. After all the concept is not put forth to provide jobs but rather to provide reasonable cost housing.

zilze, hightower1 liked this post
Msradell no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old February 6th, 2014, 01:56 AM   #2382
Istorik2012
BANNED

Likes (Received): 680

Why the building is not being built? It was built as promised for 90 days? There are pictures of the construction site?
Istorik2012 no está en línea  
Old February 10th, 2014, 02:00 AM   #2383
Axel_F

Likes (Received): 137

Quote:
A blight on the landscape, no matter how impressive you think its height will be. It's a box. A tall box, but a box nonetheless.
Sky City wouldn't be built in America. Not that it couldn't, but it wouldn't. People have more imagination. More appreciation for the environment.
And what is Sears/Willis Tower? Its also only a black box? Or former WTC - it were two real gray boxes...

For me Sky City is a great project to show the current possibilities of fast construction.

gusgazman liked this post
Axel_F no está en línea  
Old February 10th, 2014, 02:07 AM   #2384
ThatOneGuy
Psst! Check my signature!

People who just see buildings as 'boxes' and nothing else, are quite ignorant, imo.
ThatOneGuy no está en línea  
Old February 10th, 2014, 02:12 AM   #2385
BlueBright

Likes (Received): 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axel_F View Post
And what is Sears/Willis Tower? Its also only a black box? Or former WTC - it were two real gray boxes...

For me Sky City is a great project to show the current possibilities of fast construction.
the sears/willis tower is a bundle of rectangular tubes that end up with not a rectangular verticle piece of crap like this
BlueBright no está en línea  
Old February 10th, 2014, 02:22 AM   #2386
_Mort_
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axel_F View Post

WTC were boxes but with amazing details.
_Mort_ no está en línea  
Old February 11th, 2014, 04:12 AM   #2387
HRP4Life

Likes (Received): 81

I lost all my hope in this being built. I don't even know why I come here any more...
HRP4Life no está en línea  
Old February 12th, 2014, 10:21 AM   #2388
AltinD
The Modecator

Likes (Received): 6071

Quote:
It seems strange that his solution to rushed urbanization is to build extremely large skyscrapers quickly. That's some recursive logic right there.

The way to counter mass migration to Chinese cities is to better develop the existing infrastructure of rural China, which is woefully behind the rest of the country. They don't need massive steel obelisks planted down in their towns and villages. They need rail links and developed businesses and a better spread of services.

Everything about this project smacks of a vanity piece. Tallest. Fastest. Cheapest. And even if it does get built, it's just going to be an upscaled version of those endless Soviet tenanment blocks. Uninteresting, bland designs that maximise density and efficiency. A blight on the landscape, no matter how impressive you think its height will be. It's a box. A tall box, but a box nonetheless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueBright View Post
the sears/willis tower is a bundle of rectangular tubes that end up with not a rectangular verticle piece of crap like this
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Mort_ View Post
WTC were boxes but with amazing details.
USA, USA, USA ........
I can cheat you blind.

Dubai Skyscraper liked this post
AltinD no está en línea  
Old February 12th, 2014, 11:07 AM   #2389
patrykus

Likes (Received): 1794

Yeaaahh.. It can't possibly have anything to do with the fact that twins and sears simply looks better (both in shape and detail).

Dubai, Dubai, Dubai
PolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/CComingSoon/CPolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/C

patrykus no está en línea  
Old February 12th, 2014, 03:56 PM   #2390
AltinD
The Modecator

Likes (Received): 6071

looks, what looks? Have you seen this tower, nobody has .... plus, I don't think (as usual) you actually read in full what you are answering to (or seen any supertall tower)
I can cheat you blind.

AltinD no está en línea  
Old February 12th, 2014, 04:14 PM   #2391
phoenixboi08

Likes (Received): 791

Can someone contextualize this project for me (e.g. where in the city - if it is in Changsha Proper - it's suggested to be built)?
Do they own any property at all? That's more what I'd like to hear about.
Old February 12th, 2014, 04:34 PM   #2392
Bulevardi
Employee of the Year !

Likes (Received): 646

Quote:
Originally Posted by Msradell View Post
You missed one of the major point of this building which is to utilize fewer resources to house more people, something that China desperately needs to do. They can serve both building materials and land by building this building away from major cities. They also let the rural population continue to live in the rural communities and do the work in those areas which is needed, such as farming, while providing them the luxury of a big city. Today there is a mass migration towards the city is to get this kind of luxury and comfort.
I like the concept of this building very very much.
It's unique and very functional, for a lot functions, though.

Sad it's on hold at the moment.
Bulevardi no está en línea  
Old February 12th, 2014, 09:52 PM   #2393
patrykus

Quote:
Originally Posted by AltinD View Post
looks, what looks? Have you seen this tower, nobody has .... plus, I don't think (as usual) you actually read in full what you are answering to (or seen any supertall tower)
So are we banned now from expressing our opinion about this tower because it only exist on (quite detailed) renders? Not to mention the cladding for this tower already exist on several test buildings.. I personally think the cladding is better than shape of the building but both can't compare with sears or twins. Of curse that HAS TO mean I'm blinded USA fanboy. Because what else
PolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/CComingSoon/CPolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/C

Old February 12th, 2014, 10:13 PM   #2394
KillerZavatar
also known as Wally

Likes (Received): 8239

don't think the buildings can compare at all, they play in different leagues. this building is like twice as tall, of course a 700m sears tower would be nice, but without the setbacks sky city wouldn't be possible.
KillerZavatar no está en línea  
Old February 12th, 2014, 10:18 PM   #2395
patrykus

That's true. The height itself makes any structure very impressive. But aesthetically those two american icons are in different league. A higher one imo

Old February 12th, 2014, 10:24 PM   #2396
KillerZavatar
also known as Wally

Likes (Received): 8239

i'll take a good looking 750m building over a good looking 400m one any day. but i agree sears tower is really amazing designed, might be the dark cladding which makes it for me. sky city however is just amazingly modern and the fact that if it comes true will be the starter of more as great buildings, makes it even better :P
KillerZavatar no está en línea  
Old February 12th, 2014, 10:34 PM   #2397
patrykus

For me it's barely acceptable 750m over iconic 400m. Hard to compare entirely really. But I think I'd still go for quality over height. Thankfully towers like burj or kt have both. They on the other hand miss some "body" if you know what I mean, but this is flaw I can live with

Old February 12th, 2014, 10:41 PM   #2398
tim1807
faster than buildings

Likes (Received): 5334

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrykus View Post
For me it's barely acceptable 750m over iconic 400m. Hard to compare entirely really. But I think I'd still go for quality over height. Thankfully towers like burj or kt have both. They on the other hand miss some "body" if you know what I mean, but this is flaw I can live with
Even with not much body the BK had problems filling the tower.
Building this is one thing, filling it is another thing.
tim1807 no está en línea  
Old February 12th, 2014, 11:58 PM   #2399
ZZ-II
I love Skyscrapers

Likes (Received): 6525

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim1807 View Post
Even with not much body the BK had problems filling the tower. Building this is one thing, filling it is another thing.
Agree, but between China and Dubai there's a big difference.
ZZ-II no está en línea  
Old February 13th, 2014, 08:22 AM   #2400
patrykus

Yeah. China would easily fill any megatall. Especially one with more affordable apartments like this claimed to be.

Closed Thread

Tags
changsha, china, sky city