daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old March 4th, 2014, 02:44 PM   #2421
KillerZavatar
also known as Wally

Likes (Received): 8239

I could imagine little electric cars or segway like things though. Bicycle would be the best probably though other than walking if it is not very steep
KillerZavatar no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old March 4th, 2014, 04:09 PM   #2422
Arch
Charley says

Likes (Received): 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyll.Ing. View Post
The road would not be meant for cars. It'd mostly be a glorified spiral staircase, albeit a little more lively than most. It would be for people to walk a floor or ten up or down, as an alternative to elevators.

I mean, who in their right mind would bother to drive a car all the way up there? For what? And if the "road" was opened for everybody who lived in the tower, you'd be looking at a perpetual indoor traffic jam, or a gas chamber, depending on how well ventilated it would be. Maybe they'd pull a car up there for an advertisement stunt once, but it would probably be towed by winches most of the way, to prevent emissions.
Right, my misunderstanding. It looks like a road on the plan. Even if for pedestrians it would be too steep. I remember this design in a building in Dubai I think. It had a car lift so people can drive all the way to their door. Nice idea but could never work. One car lift for 100 apartments, you'd be waiting a while.
Arch no está en línea  
Old March 4th, 2014, 04:18 PM   #2423
droneriot
Urban Hermit

Likes (Received): 2622

That was Dynamic Tower which most of us agree was never a real proposal with any chances to be built.
droneriot no está en línea  
Old March 4th, 2014, 04:24 PM   #2424
Arch
Charley says

Likes (Received): 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by droneriot View Post
If you have seen how British media report on China you know why British people have such views about China. Just be glad this building isn't proposed in India, he'd be foaming from his mouth.
Oh your German. I'm sorry.
Arch no está en línea  
Old March 4th, 2014, 05:05 PM   #2425
4npower
Rooftop Shooter

Likes (Received): 989

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ing-rooms.html

There are a few towers around the world that offer this, but each one is considered a luxury tower with a low level of occupants and even then, maybe half of the apartments will have this option. Only real car guys would be willing to give up several hundred square feet of their Penthouse to store their cars. I'm pretty sure there is a Penthouse apartment in NYC where the owner has or at one point had, a very expensive Ferrari parked in a glass garage where people down below could see it. I remember seeing pictures of it on the news or a car show.

Sky cities "road" was meant to be more of a foot/bike path with the occasional maintenance truck on it to help residents move in or repair things. There is no way several thousand people would be able to drive their cars right up to their doors Forget the emissions and gridlock, and think about the added weight alone. Imagine if more cars just happened to be on one side of the Tower then the other. It would lean badly or even collapse. Sometimes you have to think about the logistics of something like this to understand that it just wouldn't be possible
4npower no está en línea  
Old March 4th, 2014, 07:29 PM   #2426
Ingenioren

Likes (Received): 584

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch View Post
I remember this design in a building in Dubai I think. It had a car lift so people can drive all the way to their door. Nice idea but could never work. One car lift for 100 apartments, you'd be waiting a while.
There is one in Singapore called Hamilton Scott with such a car lift.
Old March 4th, 2014, 08:03 PM   #2427
DubaiM

Likes (Received): 4512

This project is dead. They've just announced the tower to get attention from the rest of the world.(f.ex. That it would be the tallest and that they've had a completely new method to build this)
Old March 4th, 2014, 08:27 PM   #2428
KillerZavatar
also known as Wally

Likes (Received): 8239

let us see how J97 plays out, before ruling this one out completely.
KillerZavatar no está en línea  
Old March 4th, 2014, 11:51 PM   #2429
ZZ-II
I love Skyscrapers

Likes (Received): 6525

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerZavatar View Post
let us see how J97 plays out, before ruling this one out completely.
Agree!
ZZ-II no está en línea  
Old March 5th, 2014, 06:00 AM   #2430
scalziand
Naugatuckian

Likes (Received): 181

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4npower View Post
Sky cities "road" was meant to be more of a foot/bike path with the occasional maintenance truck on it to help residents move in or repair things. There is no way several thousand people would be able to drive their cars right up to their doors Forget the emissions and gridlock, and think about the added weight alone. Imagine if more cars just happened to be on one side of the Tower then the other. It would lean badly or even collapse. Sometimes you have to think about the logistics of something like this to understand that it just wouldn't be possible
Per square foot, people actually weigh more than cars do; crowds have a proscribed load of 100psf, where cars only are 40psf.
scalziand no está en línea  
Old March 5th, 2014, 09:10 AM   #2431
patrykus

Likes (Received): 1794

Very true. I was about to rise that argument too I don't think this building is planned for car jams or cars at all, but any tower needs to be able to work with huge mass dislocations. And if you add wind force to this it's clear there's simply no moment in lifetime of a building when the load is distributed equally.

Btw just imagine crowds of people jumping inside one side of tower I'm pretty sure it would be much worse than cars and any tower must work with such scenarios.

I think we have learned enough from this

PolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/CComingSoon/CPolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/C

Last edited by patrykus; March 5th, 2014 at 09:16 AM.
patrykus no está en línea  
Old March 5th, 2014, 07:11 PM   #2432
ANDRETO
♥ Living & loving! ♥

Likes (Received): 1668

I'm not sure if this was already posted before,
but it's very interesting the way the designers have distributed the space for apartments from 50m2 to 225m2.

Let's keep an eye on J97, just to be sure this Sky City is feasible.

Source here.

Serge Latouche
________________________________________________________________________________
The World is big enough to satisfy everyone's needs, but will always be too small to satisfy individual greed.
Mahatma Gandhi

Jewish, TowerVerre:), Holy Frog liked this post

Last edited by ANDRETO; March 5th, 2014 at 08:59 PM.
ANDRETO no está en línea  
Old March 5th, 2014, 07:12 PM   #2433
scalziand
Naugatuckian

Likes (Received): 181

Or this:
scalziand no está en línea  
Old March 6th, 2014, 09:28 AM   #2434
skyridgeline

Likes (Received): 1203

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4npower View Post
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ing-rooms.html

Sky cities "road" .. Imagine if more cars just happened to be on one side of the Tower then the other. It would lean badly or even collapse. Sometimes you have to think about the logistics of something like this to understand that it just wouldn't be possible
Quote:
Originally Posted by scalziand View Post
Per square foot, people actually weigh more than cars do; crowds have a proscribed load of 100psf, where cars only are 40psf.

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrykus View Post

Btw just imagine crowds of people jumping inside one side of tower I'm pretty sure it would be much worse than cars and any tower must work with such scenarios.

uk.eurosport.yahoo.com
[IMG]http://l1.yimg.com/bt/api/res/1.2/Gd4GmYzW0XM8m5zqMUZK7w--/YXBwaWQ9eW5ld3M7Zmk9aW5zZXQ7aD03MjA7cT03NTt3PTQ4MA--/http://media.zenfs.com/en_us/News/***********.com/2013-san-francisco-marathon-20130616-194133-592.jpg[/IMG]

Quote:
Originally Posted by scalziand View Post
Or this:
manvmiles.com

runforitgt.com
skyridgeline no está en línea  
Old April 6th, 2014, 04:50 PM   #2435
Droog_Andrey

Likes (Received): 0

Any news from the site?
Droog_Andrey no está en línea  
Old April 6th, 2014, 05:57 PM   #2436
Scrapernab2

Likes (Received): 96

Wow, those are some terrible residential floor-plans! A four bedroom with ZERO windows in the living area? A two bedroom with ZERO windows in the living area, and a four bedroom with ONE window in the living area...that looks directly into someone else's bedrooms>>>?
Scrapernab2 no está en línea  
Old April 7th, 2014, 01:34 AM   #2437
AnOldBlackMarble
read lightship chronicles

Likes (Received): 5757

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch View Post
Right, my misunderstanding. It looks like a road on the plan. Even if for pedestrians it would be too steep. I remember this design in a building in Dubai I think. It had a car lift so people can drive all the way to their door. Nice idea but could never work. One car lift for 100 apartments, you'd be waiting a while.
They already have this in New York, but for a smaller building.

And this. Video link; http://nyti.ms/HaXwtx

Even on the 11th Floor, There’s Parking Right Out Front

Old April 7th, 2014, 03:37 AM   #2438
Dubai Skyscraper

Likes (Received): 2609

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapernab2 View Post
Wow, those are some terrible residential floor-plans! A four bedroom with ZERO windows in the living area? A two bedroom with ZERO windows in the living area, and a four bedroom with ONE window in the living area...that looks directly into someone else's bedrooms>>>?
Don't take this stuff serious... these planes could be fake. And, judging by the look, they most probably are. Also I think that's the old design which was later replaced by this one.
Old April 22nd, 2014, 04:53 PM   #2439
Gwellbeing
Global Wellbeing

Likes (Received): 82

Broad Sustainable Buildings to develop Riverfront District in Yinchuan

Broad's new project in Hunan

It will be quite fascinating to see BSB of Changsha and 3D printing companies work together to build skyscrapers at lightning speed.

An artist's impression of the prefabricated skyscraper by Broad Sustainable Buildings project in Hunan province, China.

TowerVerre:) liked this post
Gwellbeing no está en línea  
Old April 22nd, 2014, 04:55 PM   #2440
Elster

Likes (Received): 1079

on paper broad has built half of the world

ollo, KillerZavatar, idoke liked this post
Elster está en línea ahora  

Closed Thread

Tags
changsha, china, sky city