daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old June 14th, 2012, 10:17 AM   #321
ZZ-II
I love Skyscrapers

Likes (Received): 6525

Quote:
Originally Posted by saintm
Just been featured @ CNN Business, is this under construction now?
I' quite sure it's not U/C yet

Highcliff liked this post
ZZ-II no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old June 14th, 2012, 10:19 AM   #322
chornedsnorkack

Likes (Received): 386

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheZoolooMaster View Post
I'm not so confident. They visibly slowed between the Ark hotel and the 30-storey hotel, respectively 133 and 360 hours for construction. It would be quite a feat if they maintained the same speed of construction for this building. The time frame of 6 months they posted in the official PDF (now outdated) seems more realistic.
They break down the 6 month timeframe into 4 months for production and mere 2 months assembly. That would mean 60 days for 200 floors.

Also they depict a core to 156 storey height

chornedsnorkack no está en línea  
Old June 14th, 2012, 12:02 PM   #323
hmmwv

Likes (Received): 420

We'll know for sure in a month or so, when BSB is ready to make the official announcement. Since this is for sure a publicity stunt what they should do is move the BSB headquarters into this building, otherwise the naysayers will always have ammunition to question its safety.

hmmwv no está en línea  
Old June 15th, 2012, 08:15 AM   #324
Partizany

Likes (Received): 36

Very nice article:
http://nextbigfuture.com/2012/06/tal...y-city-to.html

Partizany no está en línea  
Old June 15th, 2012, 09:19 AM   #325
Joel que

Likes (Received): 42

do the banker financing the building know market? one example was largest shopping mall in Dongquan (?) as big ,if not slightly bigger than Mall of America in Minnesota,US. to date half of the store remain empty.

Joel que no está en línea  
Old June 15th, 2012, 02:25 PM   #326
Kanto
Roof height crusader

Likes (Received): 3546

I'm still not convinced that building this building as fast as possible is a wise idea. I think they should more focus on strength, rather than speed.

Kanto no está en línea  
Old June 15th, 2012, 04:17 PM   #327
Scrapernab2

Likes (Received): 96

This thread has been around since 2010. Plenty of time to build all the sections, IF they had warehouses big enough to store all the pieces.

Scrapernab2 no está en línea  
Old June 15th, 2012, 05:37 PM   #328
KillerZavatar
also known as Wally

Likes (Received): 8239

Besides that Changsha is a growing market, if building gets successful it doesn't even matter if this building stands empty, because it is pretty much just a symbol of what the company is able to do and I'm sure if they would be able to build this thing in 3 months with so few money they said, they would get so many assignments that the millions they invested in that prototype building don't matter anyways. However it is all an "if" and i really want to see this magic getting pulled off, but let's stay sceptical and look what they can show us.

KillerZavatar no está en línea  
Old June 15th, 2012, 08:11 PM   #329
Kanto
Roof height crusader

Likes (Received): 3546

Agreed. Two scenarios come to my mind when I see their 6 months schedule. The better scenario is that it's just a Bob Lazar style fairy tale which they use for promotion. The worse one is that we are about to witness a foolish and dangerous underestimating of safety

Kanto no está en línea  
Old June 15th, 2012, 08:58 PM   #330
Partizany

They built 30 storey building in 15 days.. and it still standing.. why not building something larger, higher in 6 months??

Old June 15th, 2012, 09:49 PM   #331
Scrapernab2

Likes (Received): 96

That is like saying a child can build a LEGO building 10 feet high and then easily build one 80 feet high. One is a nice little challenge, the other is an order of magnitude more difficult.

The stresses (gravity load and aerodynamic) are VERY different for a 30 story building and a 200+ story building.

Again, here we are talking about it since October 2010 and no approval or building.

I do not doubt that it can be done. There is doubt about the safety of doing it.

Last edited by Scrapernab2; June 15th, 2012 at 09:56 PM.
Scrapernab2 no está en línea  
Old June 15th, 2012, 10:52 PM   #332
patrykus

Likes (Received): 1794

Anyways. Was this collapsed building build with this particular prefabrication technology? What's the point of such comparitions?

btw as far as i know the building collapsed not because it was build too fast but guys at the construction nearby didn't take the building foundation in the account. They started digging next to the building which cased moving of the soil which in consequense cased damage of the foundation and then collapsing of the tower. It was human mistake, but not an effect of fast construction technology.
PolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/CComingSoon/CPolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/C

Last edited by patrykus; June 15th, 2012 at 11:01 PM.
patrykus no está en línea  
Old June 15th, 2012, 11:10 PM   #333
KillerZavatar
also known as Wally

Likes (Received): 8239

well i guess before it gets approved all the things they state "earthquake resistance, etc" get tested and also models will be put into wind canals and what not. that may also be the reason it is not approved yet. What I'm wondering is the time they want to begin, seems very early. especially the prep work that needs to be done before will take quite a while. But then again they may just say they want to start in november just for publicity and it may get delayed half a year or whatever.

KillerZavatar no está en línea  
Old June 16th, 2012, 12:04 AM   #334
ZZ-II
I love Skyscrapers

Likes (Received): 6525

Quote:
Originally Posted by Partizany
They built 30 storey building in 15 days.. and it still standing.. why not building something larger, higher in 6 months??
Sure, 30 storeys in 15 days nice and good. But don't you think there's a little difference between 15 storeys and 220?
Wind load and the weight of the tower for example.
Not to forget the massive foundations which are needed for a tower over 800m tall.

ZZ-II no está en línea  
Old June 16th, 2012, 01:56 AM   #335
Hudson11
Stuck on the Cross Bronx

Likes (Received): 22548

well at least it's not 666 meters anymore

Hudson11 no está en línea  
Old June 16th, 2012, 04:30 PM   #336
Partizany

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZ-II View Post
Sure, 30 storeys in 15 days nice and good. But don't you think there's a little difference between 15 storeys and 220?
Wind load and the weight of the tower for example.
Not to forget the massive foundations which are needed for a tower over 800m tall.
ok, I will ask a litle different question... how big or high building can be built in 6 months with technology they are using?

400, 500m?

Old June 16th, 2012, 04:52 PM   #337
ParadiseLost

Likes (Received): 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmmwv View Post
We'll know for sure in a month or so, when BSB is ready to make the official announcement. Since this is for sure a publicity stunt what they should do is move the BSB headquarters into this building, otherwise the naysayers will always have ammunition to question its safety.
Always? If it will stand for a few years I'm sure we'll see tons of these things sprouting up all over the world (well not tons of 800m behemoths but prefab buildings I mean). Until one collapses anyway. But I think they might be just as safe as more conventional buildings.

ParadiseLost no está en línea  
Old June 16th, 2012, 05:14 PM   #338
kingsc

Likes (Received): 199

So speed is the reason why the design is lego cheap. If they building it, and it works, the face of skyscraper as we know it today will change. For the worst. It could put us behind design wise for years.

kingsc no está en línea  
Old June 16th, 2012, 08:35 PM   #339
patrykus

Likes (Received): 1794

Right, because all the reach people and large companies willing to choose rather more expensive unique landmark towers suddenly will disappear
PolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/CComingSoon/CPolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/C

patrykus no está en línea  
Old June 16th, 2012, 09:05 PM   #340
マイルズ

Likes (Received): 8

This tower looks like a huge glass empire state building with the top of a Willis Tower!

BTW, 60 days for 200 floors!? that's about 3 and a half floors a day!!

マイルズ no está en línea  

Closed Thread

Tags
changsha, china, sky city