daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old June 16th, 2012, 10:56 PM   #341
Kanto
Roof height crusader

Likes (Received): 3546

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsc View Post
So speed is the reason why the design is lego cheap. If they building it, and it works, the face of skyscraper as we know it today will change. For the worst. It could put us behind design wise for years.
No, it will start a new era of pure beauty, just as the Willis Tower and the Twin Towers did in the 70s. This building is by far the most beautiful building in the world, so I am looking forward for that era

Highcliff liked this post
Kanto no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old June 16th, 2012, 11:51 PM   #342
ThatOneGuy
Psst! Check my signature!

^ You definitely have some... interesting tastes, my friend :P

ThatOneGuy no está en línea  
Old June 17th, 2012, 02:02 AM   #343
patrykus

Likes (Received): 1794

He has? Comparing this to sears shows rather lack of it. Unlike Kanto believes not everything what boxy is automatically beautiful

ok I know it was rather sarcastic
PolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/CComingSoon/CPolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/C

patrykus no está en línea  
Old June 17th, 2012, 11:47 AM   #344
sweet-d

Likes (Received): 265

i don't see this happening in the amount of time they are saying.

sweet-d no está en línea  
Old June 17th, 2012, 11:49 AM   #345
hmmwv

Likes (Received): 420

Well I wouldn't say Sky City has a design at all, it's more like a building designed by structural and civil engineers than architects. The configuration is purely utilitarianism, since its design goal is to house as many people as possible and provide a complete community experience in one building, I'd even say this is the ultimate commie block.

The financial success of this building is rather irrelevant, it's not just a PR stunt for the company, but also pushing forward prefabrication technology in constructing complex structures. There is no doubt that BSB will have to develop new technologies to pull this off, and those advancement will slowly find their way into more practical applications. Just like how auto racing and lunar exploration helped advancing the automobile and aerospace industry.

Taxidermista, Highcliff liked this post
hmmwv no está en línea  
Old June 17th, 2012, 01:12 PM   #346
Kanto
Roof height crusader

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrykus View Post
He has? Comparing this to sears shows rather lack of it. Unlike Kanto believes not everything what boxy is automatically beautiful

ok I know it was rather sarcastic
I agree, not every box is beautiful. For example the Sino Steel tower is ugly

Kanto no está en línea  
Old June 17th, 2012, 01:53 PM   #347
patrykus

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmmwv View Post
Well I wouldn't say Sky City has a design at all, it's more like a building designed by structural and civil engineers than architects. The configuration is purely utilitarianism, since its design goal is to house as many people as possible and provide a complete community experience in one building, I'd even say this is the ultimate commie block.

The financial success of this building is rather irrelevant, it's not just a PR stunt for the company, but also pushing forward prefabrication technology in constructing complex structures. There is no doubt that BSB will have to develop new technologies to pull this off, and those advancement will slowly find their way into more practical applications. Just like how auto racing and lunar exploration helped advancing the automobile and aerospace industry.
Very good post sir Maybe the technology will be improved in the future to form some kind of hybrid between prefabrication technique and conventional methods (to make outer layer of the building a more complicated form included in the design), but now it is just a commie block as you mentioned (I was actually thinking about that very same comparison before ). Maybe just a bit more appealing to the eye since it will be covered with glass cladding instead of moldy bare concrete as the commies. But as we talk about the shape it's just the form to make best use of space and make it stable.

The bottom line is that even the bsb themselves told us it is never going to be a landmark tower. They are not even hiding the fact that it wasn't designed to be beautiful. That's why it is imo extremely weird comparing sears or wtc twins one of the most beautifully designed buildings on the world to the building that actually doesn't have a design at all.
PolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/CComingSoon/CPolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/C

Last edited by patrykus; June 17th, 2012 at 02:00 PM.
Old June 17th, 2012, 02:56 PM   #348
Kanto
Roof height crusader

The Twin Towers were prefabricated super efficiency buildings too, so I don't see how this is any different from them

Kanto no está en línea  
Old June 17th, 2012, 04:00 PM   #349
patrykus

the proportions, cladding, arrangement, simplicity of shape everything...

Old June 17th, 2012, 04:06 PM   #350
ThatOneGuy

This building is like the inbred child of Empire State Building and Sears Tower. Even THAT'S a compliment.

Last edited by ThatOneGuy; June 17th, 2012 at 04:20 PM.
Old June 17th, 2012, 04:17 PM   #351
Kanto
Roof height crusader

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrykus View Post
the proportions, cladding, arrangement, simplicity of shape everything...
The proportions are naturaly bigger, since it is a newer tallest in the world than the Twins, the cladding is more modern and I would say better, the shape is identically simplistic, right angled and boxy as the Twins were, the arragement is indeed different. To make the long story short, it looks different than the Twins but has a lot in common with them. The Willis Tower is however far more similar to this tower than the Twins are

Kanto no está en línea  
Old June 18th, 2012, 10:53 AM   #352
Thanial

Likes (Received): 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanto View Post
I actually think that that's one of the best ones As for this one, it's quite possibly the ugliest design of 21st century skyscrapers!

Thanial no está en línea  
Old June 18th, 2012, 08:51 PM   #353
KillerZavatar
also known as Wally

Likes (Received): 8243

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanto View Post
yeah, i also think the cladding is awful. still hope it will look better in reality than on the renders

KillerZavatar no está en línea  
Old June 19th, 2012, 01:23 AM   #354
ThatOneGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thanial View Post
I actually think that that's one of the best ones As for this one, it's quite possibly the ugliest design of 21st century skyscrapers!
I agree

Old June 19th, 2012, 04:10 PM   #355
TheZoolooMaster

Likes (Received): 181

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsc View Post
So speed is the reason why the design is lego cheap. If they building it, and it works, the face of skyscraper as we know it today will change. For the worst. It could put us behind design wise for years.
Speed isn't the reason. It is a by-product, just like cost, of an extremely efficient construction method which, among other things does away with a concrete core ( this was at least the case in the previous BSB efforts).

Even if this method proves successful beyond our wildest dreams, that would still not sound the death toll for more innovative architecture. In a sense the construction world is already in such a dualism, just a less ostensible one: we have very simple and fast construction methods for 25-30 storey residential towers going up like mushrooms all over China (and in cities around the world really). But at the same time we have ambitious architectural projects under way that constantly require new techniques, architects and construction teams thinking on their feet, are much more costly and take far longer to build.

TheZoolooMaster no está en línea  
Old June 19th, 2012, 08:34 PM   #356
FlyFish

Likes (Received): 83

I kind of like it. It's simplistic yes, but not every tall building has to be an architectural statement. There's actually something refreshing about a design where the goal is to actually use all or most of the space.

FlyFish no está en línea  
Old June 19th, 2012, 09:37 PM   #357
Fuad765

Likes (Received): 4

Chinese have already built a 30-story building in 15 and 15-story building in 6 days.
Look:
http://news.cnet.com/8301-11386_3-57...-just-15-days/

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/upshot/c...-just-six.html

Last edited by kanye; June 19th, 2012 at 10:11 PM.
Fuad765 no está en línea  
Old June 20th, 2012, 01:19 AM   #358
altfuns
Poncho!

Likes (Received): 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerZavatar View Post
i surely hope so. this project will either be one of the biggest failures or an architectural achievement that will have the future of skyscraper building.
+1

Is very common to be aggresive for something new...let's give them some time to begin and very fast is going to be seen if this is possible or just dreams...

Cheers,

altfuns no está en línea  
Old June 20th, 2012, 01:47 AM   #359
skyridgeline

Likes (Received): 1203

This Sky-City is about ...

sustainability + innovation + creating affortable living/working spaces + getting rich

All are very much encouraged and promoted by the most higher up central authorities in Beijing.

And yes, aesthetic appeals are not part of the programs

skyridgeline no está en línea  
Old June 20th, 2012, 09:06 AM   #360
Genzyme

Likes (Received): 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Partizany View Post
ok, I will ask a litle different question... how big or high building can be built in 6 months with technology they are using?

400, 500m?
It depends on the strength of the steel they are using for constructing the lego blocks that make up the lower floors
They will need to be able to withstand the enormous weight of all the upper floors combined. If not, the whole tower will collapse like the WTCs did during the 9/11, when the steel on the lower floors were no longer able to support the weight of the building after the fierce fire softens the steel columns.

Oh, and also, the piles will need to reach solid rock foundation. A 800m tower will be heavy, really heavy.

Genzyme no está en línea  

Closed Thread

Tags
changsha, china, sky city