daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old June 22nd, 2012, 06:59 AM   #381
Igor Antunov
BANNED

Likes (Received): 11

OH my gawd!

Quote:
Well, the must be fabricating the building elements right now, I would imagine.
Indeed.
Igor Antunov no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old June 22nd, 2012, 07:16 AM   #382
italiano_pellicano
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2010

wow amazing
italiano_pellicano no está en línea  
Old June 22nd, 2012, 10:17 AM   #383
TheZoolooMaster

Likes (Received): 181

It looks like they've updated the website with an official English translation of the document now. For the sake of completeness I'll post it even though Scion did a fine job. http://www.broad.com:8089/english/down/Sky_City%20(Blue%20print).doc

Quote:
Sky City (blueprint)
1. Construction objectives
Sky City offers a multitude of benefits towards urbanization, sustainable research and the corporate aspirations of BROAD. Boasting a four to one ratio between fiscal savings and environmental protection; Sky City strives for energy, material, water and land conservation. Based upon practical building methods, our objective is to promote a high quality of life through lively urban design.
Sky City will explore the roadmap of Chinese urbanization and improve the quality of citizen life whilst remaining in accordance with Chinese Government policies which govern the building and construction industry. We do not intend to erect a landmark, but to develop and extensively build, a practical building with medium cost and ultra-low energy consumption which will reciprocally shape the future urban life style.
2. Building Overview
The building, with 220 floors (838 meters) and a construction area of 1 million square meters, is equipped with approvimatly 200,000 tons of steel and 104 elevators.
Application Area People
Residence 83% 17,400
Hotel 5% 1,000
Educational 3% 4,600
Hospital 3% 1,400
Office Building 3% 2000
Shop, Restaurant,etc 3% 5,000
Total 100% 31,400
3. Construction Overview
Location: by Xiangjiang River, Changsha City, Hunan Province, China
Estimated installation: November, 2012
Estimated completion: January, 2013
Builder: BROAD Sustainable Building Co., Ltd and its partners
4. Construction Method
Sky City will work in close collaboration with architects and engineers of the Burj Khalifa and utilize BSB modular technology, an construction method which features 95% factory prefabrication at a five story per day construction speed.
5. Safety
1) Magnitude 9 earthquake resistance whereas the local Changsha standard design is only Magnitude 6.
Notes: 4 aspects lead to its remarkable earthquake resistance--trapezoidal pyramid solid structure, designed by famous architects, model testing and factory production with strict quality control.
2) Fireproof steel structure with fire resistance up to 3 hours.
3) 10 fire escapes, which are available to evacuate people at the whole floor within 15 minutes.
6. Environmental Protection
1) Energy saving: Unique technologies from Broad offer five times higher energy-saving than that of conventional buildings. Our BROAD unique technologies include a 15 cm thermal insulation, 4-paned windows, fresh air heat recovery, non-electric air conditioning, cooling-heating-power system and more.
2) Electricity saving: Electricity consumption is six times less than that of conventional buildings by using technology such as LED lighting and auto power- generated lifts.
3) Land saving: 5~10 times less land due to increased building height and decreased traffic.
4) Purer air: with BROAD unique fresh air machining this project offers 20 times purer air than outdoor air. BROAD technologies feature a 3-stage air purification, 7 times/h air exchange and 100% fresh air eliminating cross contamination.
7. Others
The project was initiated in April 2012 and is subject to the final approval by the government. On June 5, 2012 agreements were struck between BROAD and its partners, which was revealed across the Internet during which BROAD has been invited to release this blueprint. Official planning will be announced in August, 2012.

BSB Marketing Dept.
June 14, 2012
Note in bold that they only say it's collaborative. So I suppose they just want to seek out the know-how that built the Burj.

Last edited by TheZoolooMaster; June 22nd, 2012 at 10:22 AM.
TheZoolooMaster no está en línea  
Old June 22nd, 2012, 12:13 PM   #384
patrykus

Likes (Received): 1794

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheZoolooMaster View Post
Note in bold that they only say it's collaborative. So I suppose they just want to seek out the know-how that built the Burj.
Indeed. So it was just an error in translation as I thought. That calms me a bit because that makes more sense than this tower being completely designed by khalifa architects. But still I would like hear som/smithgill statement about theirs involvement.
PolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/CComingSoon/CPolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/C

patrykus no está en línea  
Old June 22nd, 2012, 01:40 PM   #385
M.K.M
BANNED

Likes (Received): 0

Seems the challenge of tower of babel of past, from whom constructed the tallest. The square volumes upstairs closer resembles the same. History is a repetition, but shows how China is a power nowadays ! I hope they do it.

http://issachar5.files.wordpress.com...werofbabel.jpg
M.K.M no está en línea  
Old June 23rd, 2012, 01:42 AM   #386
dunefreezer
Skyscraper Enthusiast

Likes (Received): 551

Oh then, looks like it was designed by a local architect with some possible help from AS+GG. I can live with that.

Seriously when they implement this project, it is going to EPIC even though I don't like the design.
dunefreezer no está en línea  
Old June 23rd, 2012, 03:16 PM   #387
Kanto
Roof height crusader

Likes (Received): 3546

Quote:
Speed isn't the reason. It is a by-product, just like cost, of an extremely efficient construction method which, among other things does away with a concrete core ( this was at least the case in the previous BSB efforts).
They should include a reinforced concrete core in it to make it planeproof
Old June 23rd, 2012, 04:19 PM   #388
ZZ-II
I love Skyscrapers

Likes (Received): 6530

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanto

But then it's impossible to build it in less than a year.
ZZ-II no está en línea  
Old June 23rd, 2012, 04:39 PM   #389
Kanto
Roof height crusader

Then it shall not be built in one year. Safety and strength are far more important than speed
Old June 23rd, 2012, 04:45 PM   #390
China Hand

Likes (Received): 161

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrykus View Post
And that is one thing I really don't believe. Scion, maybe that is an error in translation, no?
It is not.

一天安装5层。
One day to install 5 layer, or 5 floors per day installed.
China Hand no está en línea  
Old June 23rd, 2012, 05:03 PM   #391
Atmosphere
Live from the sky!

Likes (Received): 798

Quote:
Originally Posted by China Hand View Post
It is not.

一天安装5层。
One day to install 5 layer, or 5 floors per day installed.
He's talking about the architect. He can't believe the designer of Burj Khalifa designed this thing because it doesn't look like his work...at all.
Old June 23rd, 2012, 05:50 PM   #392
China Hand

Likes (Received): 161

Got it.

Thinking about this BSB proposal, I suspect that they are going to toss up the core in 90 days using prefab steel and concrete sections and then assemble the floors, cladding and all the rest at a more leisurely pace.

That would have them save face, meet their claim, and put up a building safely.

If the case, then they can do this. You will have a 220 floor core topped out, with cranes strapped to it, a flag, a nice little ceremony, and 150 floors below the rest of the structure is going up at a slower pace.
China Hand no está en línea  
Old June 23rd, 2012, 07:58 PM   #393
Kanto
Roof height crusader

They issued their claims just for attention. They never meant to fulfill them
Old June 23rd, 2012, 08:55 PM   #394
TheZoolooMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanto View Post
Ah, but the lack of such a core is supposed to give it more earthquake resistance. Plus the overall weight of the structure is less with a steel core, which reduces foundational stress, which I assume is huge with a building of this size. Incidentally they have a diagram of the tower with a plane flying just above it...

Last edited by TheZoolooMaster; June 23rd, 2012 at 09:03 PM.
TheZoolooMaster no está en línea  
Old June 23rd, 2012, 09:11 PM   #395
ThatOneGuy
Psst! Check my signature!

I hope the building itself is just for attention... a publicity stunt.
ThatOneGuy está en línea ahora  
Old June 23rd, 2012, 09:20 PM   #396
Kanto
Roof height crusader

Quote:
Ah, but the lack of such a core is supposed to give it more earthquake resistance. Plus the overall weight of the structure is less with a steel core, which reduces foundational stress, which I assume is huge with a building of this size. Incidentally they have a diagram of the tower with a plane flying just above it...

That's true. I think both earthquake resistance and plane resistance are critical to the safety of the building. Maybe using extreme numbers of extremely thick steel columns encased in a thin coat of concrete for corrosion protection but still relatively lightweight might be their best bet. Such beams might survive a plane impact and if they add extremely many of them, they might hold the building even if maximally weakened by intense fires. though I'm no engineer so I dunno if this makes sense, though I would love to learn, so if somebody has greater knowledge than me I'll be happy if you correct me
Old June 24th, 2012, 08:36 AM   #397
Plutonicsilver

Likes (Received): 0

To Be honest, 3 months construction of a 847m structure is pretty amazing. Im giving the chinese credits with that..

Downside of the project: Come on guys you're building the tallest skyscraper in the world for a couple of years before the kingdom tower gets finished, and yet you call the design art?..

personally i dont prefer the design, the arch team came up with a really mediocre output.. Come on guys you could atleast think of ways of enhancing the look of the tower, it the exterior design that really captures the people's mind..

Come on guys make a do over of the design..
Plutonicsilver no está en línea  
Old June 24th, 2012, 09:04 AM   #398
patrykus

Likes (Received): 1794

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plutonicsilver View Post
and yet you call the design art?..
They don't actually...
PolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/CComingSoon/CPolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/C

Last edited by patrykus; June 24th, 2012 at 09:15 AM.
patrykus no está en línea  
Old June 24th, 2012, 06:52 PM   #399
scalziand
Naugatuckian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plutonicsilver View Post
yet you call the design art?..
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrykus View Post
They don't actually...
Quote: