daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old June 24th, 2012, 11:53 PM   #401
patrykus

Likes (Received): 1794

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanto View Post
I do ....
You are different
PolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/CComingSoon/CPolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/C

Last edited by patrykus; June 25th, 2012 at 12:02 AM.
patrykus no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old June 25th, 2012, 08:16 AM   #402
azn_man12345

Likes (Received): 114

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanto View Post
I do ....
Yes, because they are planning to build the world's tallest building in three months all for a boy who lives in a country where the tallest building is 100m that has a hard on for roof height and right angles. Yup yup, it's all about Kanto.
azn_man12345 no está en línea  
Old June 25th, 2012, 09:30 AM   #403
shuan

Likes (Received): 28

Sounds like a lot of bullshit. Even if this was in Shanghai I would be skeptical. Chinese people speak a lot of shit, hard to take most of them at face value.

847 metres in Changsha? Sure they don't mean 247 metres.......lol!
shuan no está en línea  
Old June 25th, 2012, 09:44 AM   #404
shuan

Also, three months to build that thing? I also think that's crap, it won't happen no matter what construction techniques they use. And, yes, I worked in construction
for a long time.
shuan no está en línea  
Old June 25th, 2012, 11:12 AM   #405
hmmwv

Likes (Received): 420

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuan View Post
And, yes, I worked in construction
for a long time.
I feel sorry for your employer.
Old June 25th, 2012, 11:43 AM   #406
shuan

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmmwv View Post
I feel sorry for your employer.
I feel sorry for your shrink!
shuan no está en línea  
Old June 25th, 2012, 12:21 PM   #407
Justinos

Likes (Received): 3098

If they say they can build it in 3 months...Why shouldn't we believe them? They will build it. And If so...you know, world could change forever.
Justinos no está en línea  
Old June 25th, 2012, 12:54 PM   #408
Spocket

Likes (Received): 91

Of course they could actually erect the tower in as little as three months if that's what they're claiming . It's not quite accurate to say that they can build it all in so little time though because they're obviously not including anything that needs to be done below ground .

Honestly though , I don't even know why anybody here is debating this . This thing is not going to happen . It would be like saying Wichita , Kansas was going to be the site . Sure , you could build it in Wichita too but that's not the problem . The problem is whether or not there's a market for it . There's not .
Changsha is a Tier 2 city (at best) in China and , really , is much closer to a tier 3 city .
Spocket no está en línea  
Old June 25th, 2012, 11:27 PM   #409
Scrapernab2

Likes (Received): 99

How to become a tier 1 city? Put this building up in three months.
Scrapernab2 no está en línea  
Old June 26th, 2012, 12:27 AM   #410
TheZoolooMaster

Likes (Received): 182

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spocket View Post
Of course they could actually erect the tower in as little as three months if that's what they're claiming . It's not quite accurate to say that they can build it all in so little time though because they're obviously not including anything that needs to be done below ground .

Honestly though , I don't even know why anybody here is debating this . This thing is not going to happen . It would be like saying Wichita , Kansas was going to be the site . Sure , you could build it in Wichita too but that's not the problem . The problem is whether or not there's a market for it . There's not .
Changsha is a Tier 2 city (at best) in China and , really , is much closer to a tier 3 city .

According to wikipedia the metropolitan area of Changsha has a population of approximately 3 million. So I wouldn't be so sure that there is no "market" for this in Changsha. China is still in the process of urbanisation, and a building like this promises lower costs for real estate, plus it will allow more residential buildings to be built within the vicinity of the city (not to mention that the tower itself is full of all kinds of services). Now, one of the problems of new residential developments in China --aside from being too expensive for poorer Chinese-- is that they are often miles (in Beijing up to 2 hours drive from the city centre) outside of town. Even if lower class citizens could afford such homes they probably wouldn't choose to live there because such places offer them no opportunity for earning a living like they used to. Sky city hopes to offer a solution to this.

As for the foundation, I think you're right; but look back to the previous BSB efforts: foundation preparation and consolidation are never factored into the construction time. It's safe to assume that they will take far longer than that to prepare the foundation, and are most probably doing so as we speak (if they hope to complete this project on schedule).
TheZoolooMaster no está en línea  
Old June 26th, 2012, 02:17 AM   #411
hmmwv

Likes (Received): 420

Changsha probably doesn't have nearly as much demand of office space as Tier one cities, but that's completely different from residential needs. This building is first of foremost a residential tower, apartments are always in high demand in Chinese cities, no matter how small.
Old June 26th, 2012, 04:53 AM   #412
missionshak

Likes (Received): 0

It could be done, below is a video of a 30 story skyscraper built in China in just 15 days!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hdpf-MQM9vY ***30-story building built in 15 days*** Construction time lapse *View Fullscreen*
missionshak no está en línea  
Old June 26th, 2012, 05:36 PM   #413
cd7890

Likes (Received): 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by missionshak View Post
It could be done, below is a video of a 30 story skyscraper built in China in just 15 days!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hdpf-MQM9vY ***30-story building built in 15 days*** Construction time lapse *View Fullscreen*
please stop quoting that video,if anything this proposal will take years to build,not months,that 30 storey tower is nothing like this 220 storey tower
cd7890 no está en línea  
Old June 27th, 2012, 02:08 AM   #414
CULWULLA

Likes (Received): 10266

wtf, is it april 1st?
Old June 27th, 2012, 06:22 AM   #415
The-Real-Link
The-Real-Link!!

Likes (Received): 332

I don't know. Broad Construction's methodologies look sound from a pre-fab perspective (though arguably, I'd wonder how things would work long-term and I'm no structural engineer). Looks like a very successful company and at least they could erect the superstructure of the building quite fast. I'm guessing simply what that video showed but of course at a far greater workforce / materials scale but no, of course I'd HOPE things like the foundations, mechanical fit-out and so forth take their time!

Since it appears this structure harkens back to the steel-frame towers of the 70s in a remote sense (little to no concrete), I don't see how this wouldn't be undoable. Unlikely in 3 months? Probably. Undoable? I'd like to think they could figure that out.

If this goes ahead it'll probably be one of the first pure utilitarian uses of not just a skyscraper but a supertall. Again by that I only mean it really eschews all ornamentation and "art" for pure function - which, ironally may make it in and of itself, beautiful.

Oh well, will be neat to wait and see. Still would put my $ on Kingdom Tower at least being partway up though before this goes ahead in full.
The-Real-Link no está en línea  
Old June 27th, 2012, 10:16 AM   #416
Jay

Likes (Received): 1865

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justinos View Post
If they say they can build it in 3 months...Why shouldn't we believe them? They will build it. And If so...you know, world could change forever.
If I told you I could fly to Mars, why wouldn't you believe me?

Jay no está en línea  
Old June 27th, 2012, 10:33 AM   #417
Wigz

Likes (Received): 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad View Post
Adrian Smith on drugs.
Probably a childhood sketch drawn by him, in crayon, of course.
Wigz no está en línea  
Old June 27th, 2012, 06:37 PM   #418
ThatOneGuy
Psst! Check my signature!

He got his inspiration from Minecraft.
ThatOneGuy no está en línea  
Old June 27th, 2012, 07:31 PM   #419
Brusmaw

Likes (Received): 235

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmmwv View Post
Changsha probably doesn't have nearly as much demand of office space as Tier one cities, but that's completely different from residential needs. This building is first of foremost a residential tower, apartments are always in high demand in Chinese cities, no matter how small.
Changsha probably has more like 4 million+ people atm as many urban migrants are not registered as city dwellers because of the hukou system. And Changsha is one of the biggest cities in Central China, which is a region that is getting primary attention from the central government now, as a way to shift the economic development to the central part of China.

Comparing Changsha to some small town in Kansas is ludicrous.
Brusmaw no está en línea  
Old June 27th, 2012, 09:11 PM   #420
cyberurban
BANNED

Likes (Received): 31

When will this building be started?
cyberurban no está en línea  

Closed Thread

Tags
changsha, china, sky city