daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old June 28th, 2012, 12:30 AM   #421
hmmwv

Likes (Received): 420

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay View Post
If I told you I could fly to Mars, why wouldn't you believe me?
No, because if you can you probably wouldn't have time to post here. On the other hand BSB is a reputable company and has already demonstrated successfully what it's capable of. The idea of this project is pretty shocking, if not insane for most people, so was their 30 story hotel, so was the 15 story before, and even earlier the BSB Pavilion they built in one day.

Sponsored Links
Old June 28th, 2012, 04:07 PM   #422
Genzyme

Likes (Received): 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by cd7890 View Post
please stop quoting that video,if anything this proposal will take years to build,not months,that 30 storey tower is nothing like this 220 storey tower
I will remain skeptical until they make it, just wait and see the outcome
but you're right, a 800m supertall isn't 8x100m skyscrapers stacking on top of each other, not even close to that.
Genzyme no está en línea  
Old June 28th, 2012, 10:27 PM   #423
thazz

Likes (Received): 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatOneGuy View Post
He got his inspiration from Minecraft.
Even Minecraft builds are nicer than this
thazz no está en línea  
Old June 29th, 2012, 03:38 AM   #424
kw0943

Likes (Received): 1

No one expected the Burj Khalifa to be built, did they?

No one expected the Kingdom tower to be approved.

Maybe Skycity really will be built.
kw0943 no está en línea  
Old June 29th, 2012, 04:05 AM   #425
Hudson11
Stuck on the Cross Bronx

Likes (Received): 22553

of course it will be attempted. this is China after all. They have the $$$ to experiment.
Hudson11 está en línea ahora  
Old June 29th, 2012, 01:41 PM   #426
Kanto
Roof height crusader

Likes (Received): 3546

I hope it will be built, but I bet anything that it will take far longer than what they announced, far, far longer.
Old June 29th, 2012, 01:44 PM   #427
patrykus

Likes (Received): 1794

If they can't build it fast (even in one or two years) then they won't build it at all because there is no point to do this otherwise.

They either build it fast or they are bullshiting us with this project. But then I really don't get why would they do this as they are apparently successful and respected company. Why would they risk their reputation announcing such project just to fail realizing it? How is that going to help them selling their prefabricating technology?
PolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/CComingSoon/CPolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/C

Last edited by patrykus; June 29th, 2012 at 01:50 PM.
patrykus no está en línea  
Old June 29th, 2012, 02:02 PM   #428
Kanto
Roof height crusader

Maybe it will be built faster than any other building in the world but I bet that it will still take far longer than what they say in their unrealistic claims. As to why are they making such claims I dunno, maybe it is another case of smart people saying stupid things, as Stanton Friedman likes to say
Old June 29th, 2012, 05:58 PM   #429
scalziand
Naugatuckian

Likes (Received): 181

If a 220 floor tower is stupid, what is a 636 floor one?

Reuters Magazine: The Made-in-China CEO
By Terril Yue Jones

REUTERS - Zhang Yue fondly caresses the blueprints as he slowly flips through them, occasionally pausing to stare at a drawing as he explains his new project.

The plan seems impossibly ambitious: Build a 220-story building, the tallest in the world, in just four months by using the rapid-construction techniques his company has developed.

Zhang, a slight but wiry and intense man of 52, says "Sky City" - as he has dubbed it - can fix many of the world's pollution, congestion, transportation and even disease problems by completely purifying the tower's air. The 838-meter-tall building (10 meters taller than the Burj Khalifa in Dubai, currently the world's tallest) will hold schools, a hospital, 17 helipads and some 30,000 people. It will, indeed, be a city in the sky.

His dreams don't stop there.

Pinned up on his office wall are plans for a project even more audacious - an almost preposterously massive building two kilometers high. When asked to estimate the odds of this 636-floor giganto-scraper ever being built, Zhang responds without hesitation, "One hundred percent! Some say that it's sensationalism to construct such a tall building. That's not so. Land shortages are already a grave problem. There's also the very serious transportation issue. We must bring cities together and stretch for the sky in order to save cities and save the Earth. We must eliminate most traffic, traffic that has no value! And we must reduce our dependency on roads and transportation."

http://in.reuters.com/article/2012/0...85R00V20120628
scalziand no está en línea  
Old June 29th, 2012, 10:13 PM   #430
z0rg
fok julle naaiers

Likes (Received): 15913

Just WOW. Can't wait to know the location. Shanghai Lujiazui Gongyuan would be the best option to me

More than 300 supertall projects on going in China.
z0rg no está en línea  
Old June 29th, 2012, 11:13 PM   #431
ThatOneGuy
Psst! Check my signature!

They'll have to pump air up if they would ever build that. And what about planes...?
ThatOneGuy no está en línea  
Old June 29th, 2012, 11:38 PM   #432
ZZ-II
I love Skyscrapers

Likes (Received): 6525

Planes will maybe have flight-routes through the tower . Something like that tunnel through a tower in Coruscant .
ZZ-II no está en línea  
Old June 30th, 2012, 01:08 AM   #433
thazz

Likes (Received): 22

Emm yeah...
First prove that you can build those 200 floors before you come up with 600...
Its getting (even more) ridiculous.
thazz no está en línea  
Old June 30th, 2012, 09:58 AM   #434
hmmwv

Quote:
Originally Posted by z0rg View Post
Just WOW. Can't wait to know the location. Shanghai Lujiazui Gongyuan would be the best option to me
Geeze so much hate for that park, it's a nice spot to take photos.
Old June 30th, 2012, 11:51 AM   #435
patrykus

Likes (Received): 1794

They sure do like making ridiculous statements but unlike others they also give us very close deadlines so we just have to wait a little and whether it is hoax or not will be clear.
PolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/CComingSoon/CPolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/C

patrykus no está en línea  
Old June 30th, 2012, 12:49 PM   #436
TheZoolooMaster

Likes (Received): 181

It's nice to see that reputable magazines are interested in Broad Group. One detail that seems worth underlining:
Quote:
Zhang next plans a 50-story building, and perhaps a couple more with 30 floors, while he drums up funding for Sky City 220. He's also hoping to set up franchises so such buildings can go up anywhere; he has seven in China so far, and is aiming for 150 around the world.
He could have trouble finding the capital to build this thing on schedule. Hopefully we'll at least see some of these other 50-storey and 30-storey prototypes.
TheZoolooMaster no está en línea  
Old June 30th, 2012, 02:19 PM   #437
Sparxter
Student ROC Bouwkunde

Likes (Received): 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanto View Post
Maybe it will be built faster than any other building in the world but I bet that it will still take far longer than what they say in their unrealistic claims. As to why are they making such claims I dunno, maybe it is another case of smart people saying stupid things, as Stanton Friedman likes to say
It should be an easy math. Its known the company can do 15 storeys in 6 days, but also 30 storeys in 15 days. Thats 150% increasement in time to a 100% increase in storeys. If i'm right that would take em less then 3 months to make the storeys. It could be done in 3 or 4 months, if they have the 95% prefab ready to go.
Sparxter no está en línea  
Old June 30th, 2012, 02:37 PM   #438
Kanto
Roof height crusader

I don't think that the math is that simple. Megatalls have vastly different construction and assembly methods than highrises. I don't think the construction time of 15 and 30 story buildings is relevant in deciding whether they can build a megatall in the time they said they can build it in.
Old July 1st, 2012, 01:27 AM   #439
hmmwv

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheZoolooMaster View Post
It's nice to see that reputable magazines are interested in Broad Group. One detail that seems worth underlining:

He could have trouble finding the capital to build this thing on schedule. Hopefully we'll at least see some of these other 50-storey and 30-storey prototypes.
I agree, I'd like to see more 30-50 story pre fab buildings too, that'll help BSB to mature the technology. Then they should start in baby steps by attempting a 400m 100 story first, not to say it's easy, but a more reasonable project and carry considerably less risk.
Old July 3rd, 2012, 01:39 PM   #440
KillerZavatar
also known as Wally

Likes (Received): 8239

not sure why, but CTBUH's database lists a new name as long as a slithly different height (no floor count change, maybe spire shortened by a few meters?)

http://skyscrapercenter.com/changsha/yuanwang-mansion/

Official Name Yuanwang Mansion
Former / Other Name Sky City
Height: Architectural 838.0 meter / 2749 feet

the height as well as the name seem to come from this article: http://morningwhistle.21cbh.com/html...08/212581.html
KillerZavatar no está en línea  

Closed Thread

Tags
changsha, china, sky city