daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old July 12th, 2012, 02:19 AM   #481
hmmwv

Likes (Received): 420

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerghunter View Post
I don't think a solid steel core is feasible, not with the amount of steel they want to use anyway. Let's say the steel core would be 750m tall and have a cross section of 10x10m. That's a volume of 75,000m^3. Since steel weighs about 8 tons per m^3, this would weight 600,000 tons while they're claiming to only need 200,000 tons for the entire building, not just the core.

You could shave some of this off by making the core thinner at the top, but it would still require way too much steel.
Of course not a solid steel core....what were you thinking...
I was talking about a core structure entirely made of steel, so it's essentially a huge supercolumn with elevator shafts and utilities shafts in it.

Sponsored Links
Old July 12th, 2012, 05:16 AM   #482
Haljackey

Likes (Received): 107

Sky City in 60's Spider Man:

My Simcity Stuff
Haljackey no está en línea  
Old July 12th, 2012, 05:30 AM   #483
2co2co

Likes (Received): 225

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scion View Post
http://news.qq.com/a/20120608/000543.htm

They've already placed orders for 2.7 million tonnes of steel for this tower. The investment sum will be no less than 4 billion yuan. There will be a network of streets from floors 1 to 120, complete with shops, markets, diners, cinemas, school, and parks. 16 elevators for sightseeing purposes, 31 super speed elevators capable of transporting 30,000 people per hour.
I just felt interested in how much a skyscraper actually weighs and found these figures. I can't comment on the credibility of the source, but I think the numbers are not too far off. "2.7 million tonnes of steel" sounds a bit too much but at the same time "200,000t of steel" sounds a bit too little.

Empire State Building, NYC = 365,000,000 kg
Woolworth Building, NYC = 223,000,000 kg
John Hancock Tower, Chicago = 174,500,000 kg
Source : http://www.physforum.com/What-was-th...ower_4299.html
2co2co no está en línea  
Old July 12th, 2012, 05:41 AM   #484
zerghunter

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2co2co View Post
I just felt interested in how much a skyscraper actually weighs and found these figures. I can't comment on the credibility of the source, but I think the numbers are not too far off. "2.7 million tonnes of steel" sounds a bit too much but at the same time "200,000t of steel" sounds a bit too little.

Empire State Building, NYC = 365,000,000 kg
Woolworth Building, NYC = 223,000,000 kg
John Hancock Tower, Chicago = 174,500,000 kg
Source : http://www.physforum.com/What-was-th...ower_4299.html
I got the 200,000 ton figure from the document on Broad's website. http://www.broad.com:8089/english/product/bsb/bsb.asp
I think the weights listed on that site are the total weights of the buildings in question, not the weight of the steel structure alone.
zerghunter no está en línea  
Old July 12th, 2012, 07:16 AM   #485
skyridgeline

Likes (Received): 1203

According BSB, they can reduce the building weight by 600kg/meter squared.
If the building has 1,000,000 meter squared of floor space, the total weight reduction is 600, 000, 000 kg !
skyridgeline no está en línea  
Old July 12th, 2012, 06:14 PM   #486
Scrapernab2

Likes (Received): 96

Low weight, boxy-poor aerodynamic shape, quicky foundation and construction....
Sounds like a disaster movie.
Scrapernab2 no está en línea  
Old July 12th, 2012, 08:39 PM   #487
Kanto
Roof height crusader

Likes (Received): 3546

That's true. This new magical construction method is literally begging for a disaster. We saw two steel only prefabricated supertalls fall 11 years ago just because planes hit them. We definitelly don't need to see anything similar on a megatall. If they build such a massive building, that's nice, but they should build it with proper strength and safety
Old July 12th, 2012, 11:07 PM   #488
hmmwv

Likes (Received): 420

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanto View Post
We saw two steel only prefabricated supertalls fall 11 years ago just because planes hit them.
To be fair WTC survived several car bombs prior, and only fell because two fully fueled wide body commercial airliners hit them, yet they still stood for hours before falling. Many traditional skyscrapers may fall even faster under the same circumstance. The chance of something similar to Sept 11th to occur again is extremely unlikely, increased security and military air patrol has essentially eliminated that possibility. An alternative is to place CIWS or short range SAM on the tallest building in the city, but that's a little extreme too.
Old July 13th, 2012, 12:10 AM   #489
cd7890

Likes (Received): 24

i stil,l would like to see this tower,but,why try to build it as fast as possible,that makes no sense whatsoever
cd7890 no está en línea  
Old July 13th, 2012, 01:21 AM   #490
SkyView

Likes (Received): 13

Ugliest skyscraper ever !
SkyView no está en línea  
Old July 13th, 2012, 05:28 AM   #491
ThatOneGuy
Psst! Check my signature!

They should feature this thing collapsing in Final Destination 10 or whatever sequel will be out when it's finished. That would make my day.
ThatOneGuy no está en línea  
Old July 13th, 2012, 02:01 PM   #492
KillerZavatar
also known as Wally

Likes (Received): 8243

Quote:
Originally Posted by cd7890 View Post
i stil,l would like to see this tower,but,why try to build it as fast as possible,that makes no sense whatsoever
the faster, the more people will be amazed by it. they want to break more records to give themselves a name. this project is promoting the company, even if it fails to archive all goals
KillerZavatar no está en línea  
Old July 15th, 2012, 06:21 PM   #493
Justinos

Likes (Received): 3078

and i think they are going to be fully succesfull from that point of view. Who did know them before this incredibile promotion?

An article appeared in Italy that seems to confirm its construction. Later i will post the link from pc, as i am on iPad now.
Justinos no está en línea  
Old July 16th, 2012, 03:00 PM   #494
Justinos

Likes (Received): 3078

An article appeared in Italy about SkyCity. Interesting that also in Italy they start to talk about it.

http://mondo.panorama.it/orientexpre...alto-del-mondo

I translate the title: China challenges Dubai and announces the costruction of world's tallest building
Justinos no está en línea  
Old July 18th, 2012, 10:40 PM   #495
Atmosphere
Live from the sky!

Likes (Received): 798

Quote:
Originally Posted by AltinD View Post
That's like for masive buildings the three-winged base works best .... however a commercial building can get away with a huge base. Offices needs less window space.
It would be really awesome if they put indoor farms/factory's in the middle. That would be quite revolutionary. Then it becomes a real city on it's own.
Old July 20th, 2012, 10:59 PM   #496
AltinD
The Modecator

Likes (Received): 6071

Farms need sunlight .... factories have heavy machineries that screw up with the tower's weight and balance. Plus, is not as big as people think it is.
I can cheat you blind.

AltinD no está en línea  
Old July 22nd, 2012, 06:40 AM   #497
2co2co

Likes (Received): 225

Quote:
Originally Posted by AltinD View Post
Farms need sunlight ....

LED/Hydroponics

Progress in biotechnology will blur the distinction between agriculture and manufacturing industry
2co2co no está en línea  
Old July 22nd, 2012, 12:51 PM   #498
Scrapernab2

Likes (Received): 96

Um, skyscrapers would be the best farms. Take only a SINGLE acre of land and you can get 100 acres of space. Water is pumped up and drips down, no waste. Sunlight is controlled and gauranteed above the clouds. Distribution is easy, right in a city. Where is the downside?
Scrapernab2 no está en línea  
Old July 22nd, 2012, 02:54 PM   #499
KillerZavatar
also known as Wally

Likes (Received): 8243

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapernab2 View Post
Um, skyscrapers would be the best farms. Take only a SINGLE acre of land and you can get 100 acres of space. Water is pumped up and drips down, no waste. Sunlight is controlled and gauranteed above the clouds. Distribution is easy, right in a city. Where is the downside?
the downside is building cost obviously
KillerZavatar no está en línea  
Old July 22nd, 2012, 05:27 PM   #500
AltinD
The Modecator

Likes (Received): 6071

Operating ones too
I can cheat you blind.

AltinD no está en línea  

Closed Thread

Tags
changsha, china, sky city